Does Florida require a title for antique cars?

Buick35

I just read a Craigslist ad for a 54 Oldsmobile that the guy was trying to sell with a bill of sale only.He said Florida has a statute that doesn't require a title for antique cars.I thought they do.Anybody know for sure? I'm not interested in the car,I just wondered.Thanks

2 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Why not ask the DMV in the state you live in, THIS GOES OUT TO EVERYONE that askes the SAME question every ------- two weeks!

I will say this: the last time I called my state's DMV I was on hold for the better part of 2 hours. The last time I visited the local branch I made an appointment (they won't give you a dirty look without an appointment) so I got in line at 1:40 for my 1:45 appointment. The check-in lady then looked at the whole bunch of us, asked what time our appointment was (every one of us said 1:45) and she told us to come back 5 minutes before our appointment. We then all collectively checked our watches and noticed it was now 1:43. When this was pointed out she VERY reluctantly started checking folks in. 

On the other hand, in both instances, once I was talking to a "real" person, they were very friendly & helpful. In another case, a friend has a car with a missing title. It MIGHT be titled in a state 2-1/2 hours away. I tried and tried but found it impossible to get any help over the phone from that state, or from an independent tag & title company in that state. They will only talk in person.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Bryan G said:

I will say this: the last time I called my state's DMV I was on hold for the better part of 2 hours. The last time I visited the local branch I made an appointment (they won't give you a dirty look without an appointment) so I got in line at 1:40 for my 1:45 appointment. The check-in lady then looked at the whole bunch of us, asked what time our appointment was (every one of us said 1:45) and she told us to come back 5 minutes before our appointment. We then all collectively checked our watches and noticed it was now 1:43. When this was pointed out she VERY reluctantly started checking folks in. 

On the other hand, in both instances, once I was talking to a "real" person, they were very friendly & helpful. In another case, a friend has a car with a missing title. It MIGHT be titled in a state 2-1/2 hours away. I tried and tried but found it impossible to get any help over the phone from that state, or from an independent tag & title company in that state. They will only talk in person.

DMV= I'm the DMV and I am not here to help you.

2 hours ago, Larry Schramm said:

the last time I called my state's DMV I was on hold for the better part of 2 hours.

A lot of people tie up the phone just calling to thank them for the service.

Most states started their DMV as an administrative service, keeping track of vehicles and their owners. Many have evolved into a state enforcement division trying to get all the money to the state and avoiding a share to counties, causing a greater burden on their typically outdated computer systems.

But wait until OBD3 is released. Then you will know frustration.

My comment on the obsolete computers is not just idle cynicism. They are relying on computers as old as 1996 with a lifetime under the hood of a car to decide the eligibility of driving a car.

20 hours ago, car crazy said:

Florida is definitely a title state..

Agree 100% I have owned antique cars in the state of Florida as old as 1938 and they all had a title, and the ones I brought in from other states all had to have a VIN verification to get a title.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Buick35 said:

I just read a Craigslist ad for a 54 Oldsmobile that the guy was trying to sell with a bill of sale only.He said Florida has a statute that doesn't require a title for antique cars.I thought they do.Anybody know for sure? I'm not interested in the car,I just wondered.Thanks

From FLHSMV (Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles):

Most vehicles, mobile homes or vessels are required to be titled, with the exception of mopeds, motorized bicycles, and trailers weighing less than 2,000 pounds.

https://www.flhsmv.gov/motor-vehicles-tags-titles/liens-and-titles/

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Does Florida require a title for antique cars?
15 hours ago, John348 said:

Agree 100% I have owned antique cars in the state of Florida as old as 1938 and they all had a title, and the ones I brought in from other states all had to have a VIN verification to get a title.  

Yes concur but another interesting item was the last vehicle I titled and tagged down there was interesting.  
the vehicle inspection was preformed by the lady at the counter!  Also to get title/tags the whole transaction had to be in cash. I sure didn’t feel comfortable walking back in there after maxing out 3 ATM’s with my briefcase but I saw others with brown paper bags. 
Robert

1 hour ago, TTR said:

Only places I've ever heard of not requiring registration/titles (= often a same document) to prove ownership of vehicles intended to be operated on public roads are some third-world societies.

No experience with other states but I think there may be a few that do not 'title' older cars. I tried getting a copy from Maine for my 1979 Pontiac and they told me they do not keep records or issue titles for cars that old! 

• Like 1

Yes, Florida is a title state for all vehicles.  (I have 5 titled there)   If you buy a car anywhere without a valid title

and want to register or title it in Florida, you will regret it. 

Edited by Paul Dobbin (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

No experience with other states but I think there may be a few that do not 'title' older cars. I tried getting a copy from Maine for my 1979 Pontiac and they told me they do not keep records or issue titles for cars that old! 

So, anyone can just go to Maine and claim ownership of any vehicle older than 1979 ?

Interesting, as I didn't know or expect that. 

6 hours ago, Robert Street said:

Yes concur but another interesting item was the last vehicle I titled and tagged down there was interesting.  
the vehicle inspection was preformed by the lady at the counter!  Also to get title/tags the whole transaction had to be in cash. I sure didn’t feel comfortable walking back in there after maxing out 3 ATM’s with my briefcase but I saw others with brown paper bags. 
Robert

The "inspection" is just to verify the VIN on the car matches the title.  DMV employees are authorized to perform it as are licensed dealers, Florida notary public, police, and tax collector employees; out-of-state dealers must submit verification on their letterhead.  I know DMV offices take credit cards and personal checks.  Many if not all county tax collectors also provide vehicles-related services.  They may or may not take other than cash.

Montana plates on vehicles not residing there are usually tax avoidance. Georgia has been cracking down on them and collecting the taxes due.

TTR not sure about Maine but in Georgia a police officer comes by your house within 10 minutes of calling them to check your numbers and verifies the paperwork and stamped numbers.  After that your registration is all you need and a bill of sale if you sell it.

Dave