1934 Buick Series 56S Coupe - not mine

Great looking 1934 Buick Coupe just offered for sale locally in Floral Park, NY. Its hard to believe that the interior survived in such amazing condition. But even if the upholstery was replaced this Buick looks great.  Asking price 34K USD. Not mine

FB_IMG_16274500006939325.jpg

FB_IMG_16274500087124784.jpg

FB_IMG_16274500282353708.jpg

FB_IMG_16274500329380785.jpg

FB_IMG_16274500365999988.jpg

FB_IMG_16274500402751656.jpg

FB_IMG_16274500478344066.jpg

FB_IMG_16274500537820712.jpg

FB_IMG_16274500579792355.jpg

FB_IMG_16274500618342194.jpg

Screenshot_20210728-072817.png

• Like 7

Extremely nice car !If this is all original , this is a jewel .I am not sure i can get in this car as i am rather tall , little over 6 feet .But when you this you don't need any project that needs paint , interior and other work and that will cost you more in the end .

6 hours ago, daniel boeve said:

Extremely nice car !If this is all original , this is a jewel .I am not sure i can get in this car as i am rather tall , little over 6 feet .But when you this you don't need any project that needs paint , interior and other work and that will cost you more in the end .

It's got seat adjusters, so that's a good sign. Width of the seat might be as much an issue if you ride with someone of similar size; you might both have to hang an arm out the window. 

All-original cars are a mixed bag. They're only original once and this is a nice one, but along with that you might run the risk of blown hoses, broken belts, and electrical fires on that serene Sunday drive. Personally, I can do without that sort of drama.

Sorting, preventive maintenance and ensuring all safety gear is up to snuff would be a must, so car can be enjoyed even sparingly.

Great looking example of a GM period where styling was nice across the board.  I think wood in bodies kept survival rate down compared to various Fords & Mopars in 32 - 36 time frame.  You see a lot more GM cars after turret tops came along..

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

An HPOF time-capsule!   The new owner should treat it carefully and drive it sparingly, change out the functional, potential failure items with period-correct replacements 'aged' to appear original so as not to detract from the overall appearance.

• Thanks 1

Looks like a great original, as others have commented.  But what about the seller's claim that everything works "including the cruise control."?  What could he be talking about?  A pull-out hand throttle on the dash?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Grimy said:

The hand throttle on these is one of two levers on the steering wheel hub; the other is the light switch.

Thank you, George.  That must be why the owner/seller thinks it's a "cruise control."  Kind of indicates that the seller is not an old car person.  Sure looks like a great car, however!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have been checking it over and it seems that important items have been kept up to good standards such as fuel pump, hoses, tires. Going to a small local car show tomorrow with it. I plan on getting it on a rack and just check the under side out. I see it needs a good cleaning underneath. I'm going to put the clear plastic over the seats in order to protect them.. Checked under the seat and there was the jack, tool bag with several tools in it. As for the paint , you just have to live with it.  I did hand polish it just to get some sort of shine out of it.. The original paint is discolored but livable..  As for the running board rubber. It's original but several pieces have fallen off.. I'm still satisified with the purchase.. I've had many , many Buicks in my collecting history and the 1934 and 35 were one of my favorite years. My dad had the 1935 90 Cov. cp..  ,  I had a 1934 90 sedan at one time along with a 34 covt. sedan 60 series... but those are gone. 

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Frank Wilkie said:

Have been checking it over and it seems that important items have been kept up to good standards such as fuel pump, hoses, tires. Going to a small local car show tomorrow with it. I plan on getting it on a rack and just check the under side out. I see it needs a good cleaning underneath. I'm going to put the clear plastic over the seats in order to protect them.. Checked under the seat and there was the jack, tool bag with several tools in it. As for the paint , you just have to live with it.  I did hand polish it just to get some sort of shine out of it.. The original paint is discolored but livable..  As for the running board rubber. It's original but several pieces have fallen off.. I'm still satisified with the purchase.. I've had many , many Buicks in my collecting history and the 1934 and 35 were one of my favorite years. My dad had the 1935 90 Cov. cp..  ,  I had a 1934 90 sedan at one time along with a 34 covt. sedan 60 series... but those are gone. 

I am sure i am not alone as being jealous when you bought this car .You did a very good buy .They are only one time  original .Have good luck with it !