For Sale: 1936 Desoto Airstream sedan - $11,000 - Massillon, OH - Not Mine -SOLD!

For Sale: 1936 Desoto Airstream sedan - $11,000 - Massillon, OH -SOLD!

1936. Desoto. Airstream - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle... (craigslist.org)

Selling a very solid old car. Had a frame off restoration . beginning with a very solid car. Including a motor rebuild. It has a straight 6. With a 3 speed. Highly optioned. Has clock. Radio. And over drive. I drive it to car shows every week. Has a few scratches. Still looks great. Seats are showing some age. Can drive it home. Will not answer text asking what the least ill take.   odometer: 63000

Copy and paste in your email:  36719ebe55e13ae48848bc1e7f84cb14@sale.craigslist.org
I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1936 Desoto Airstream sedan.

'36. Desoto Airstream OH a.jpg

'36. Desoto Airstream OH b.jpg

'36. Desoto Airstream OH c.jpg

'36. Desoto Airstream OH d.jpg

'36. Desoto Airstream OH e.jpg

'36. Desoto Airstream OH f.jpg

'36. Desoto Airstream OH g.jpg

'36. Desoto Airstream OH h.jpg

Edited by 58L-Y8
SOLD!!! (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, atglass said:

Any idea what a fair price would be on this car?

Honestly, I'd say it's at or below a fair price, if you can accept it's odd colors. If this were black, or some correct, original solid color it might have sold long ago. I think that both of those beige-like colors are just too yellow for most people's taste.

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The fenders are just too close to the body color for this to work.  One of these shows up as a taxi in virtually every Warner’s Brothers film in the late thirties and into the early fifties.

5 hours ago, atglass said:

The seller states it's equipped with a radio but I do not see it in the photo of the dash.?????

Look closer, between the two instrument clusters, behind the steering wheel

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Those early auto radios only had dials for station tuning and volume with a small window where the station call letter showed.   The radio chassis was under the instrument panel and the speaker above the windshield.   The antenna was mounted under the runningboard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Those early auto radios only had dials for station tuning and volume with a small window where the station call letter showed.   The radio chassis was under the instrument panel and the speaker above the windshield.   The antenna was mounted under the runningboard.

Thank you.

13 hours ago, TerryB said:

The photographs and background colors don’t help any in portraying the color as an oddball combo with limited appeal.

I don't mind the colors at all--as long as they're

correct for this car.  The colors are different, but

they're not garish.  What does period literature depict?

If some expert can verify their authenticity, we might

learn something about 1936 DeSotos.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

Yes, and the oddball colors distract quite a bit from the great Art Deco flourishes that '36 DeSotos are know for. Here's a nice black one from Google (yes, I know that it's a British version):

File:1936 Desoto Deluxe Airstream Sedan (16134017050).jpg

The original posted Desoto is only about 2 hours from me. If it was black , I would have been there already checking it out.

15 hours ago, Taylormade said:

One of these shows up as a taxi in virtually every Warner’s Brothers film in the late thirties and into the early fifties.

You called for a cab?  From "The Breaking Point" (1950), Warner Brothers.

36desoto.jpg.c107b3867d53764c128c76f1eead5ad6.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

Yes, and the oddball colors distract quite a bit from the great Art Deco flourishes that '36 DeSotos are know for. Here's a nice black one from Google (yes, I know that it's a British version):

File:1936 Desoto Deluxe Airstream Sedan (16134017050).jpg

Actually, its an Australian version.  

I'm not sure about the black though, many other colours that suite better IMO.

On 6/28/2021 at 1:40 PM, atglass said:

Any idea what a fair price would be on this car?

Sharp car.

If you're OK with the colors, the asking price is pretty good.

See if the seller is open to a  little negotiating. I didn't see "price is firm" in the ad.

If you hate the colors and plan to change them immediately, you'll be upside down on the car real quick. PS: You'll do better if you do any negotiating face-to-face after examining the car. If I was the seller, I wouldn't care to be chiseled long-distance.

Edited by suchan
Added to message. (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, atglass said:

I'm OK with colors. Seller  says over dive is working properly.

Maybe $10,000???

your thoughts....

It's worth what it's worth to you. Who cares what a bunch of yahoos on the internet think? If you think that's a good price for that car, then go for it. What else can you buy for $10,000?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

It's worth what it's worth to you. Who cares what a bunch of yahoos on the internet think? If you think that's a good price for that car, then go for it. What else can you buy for $10,000?

Thank you for the vote of confidence. Greatly appreciate your input.

I don't mind the color combination.   Much better than a lot I've seen.  Maybe just a set of black walls to tone it down a bit?

desoto1.jpg.50e23ae321647ea67dc63c3c01835bee.jpg

12 hours ago, atglass said:

I'm OK with colors. Seller  says over dive is working properly.

Maybe $10,000???

your thoughts....

Advice and opinions here are fine but no substitute for an in-person inspection.   If this DeSoto moves you, its worth your time and effort to do so.

13 hours ago, GregLaR said:

I don't mind the color combination.   Much better than a lot I've seen.  Maybe just a set of black walls to tone it down a bit?

desoto1.jpg.50e23ae321647ea67dc63c3c01835bee.jpg

That actually looks pretty good. Paint the wheels red to match the beltline trim and you'd really have a sharp car.

• 3 weeks later...

Salutations! Not sure if anyone is still follows this thread, but I’m the proud new owner of this very DeSoto!

Made a profile on the site to find any tidbits about my new car, as well as connect with other DeSoto owners. To my surprise, I found my own car being discussed.  

Bought the car a couple weeks ago, drove 5 hours from PA to take a look at it. Its been really fun reading the discussions about it here. In my personal taste, the color of the car is absolutely perfect—in fact, it’s one of the aspects that initially drew my eye. 

The purchase was the fulfillment of a lifelong dream to own a mid 1930s car, and being an Art Deco fanatic, it’s amazing to have one that is simply brimming with stunning design elements. 

Anyone who has experience with these cars are welcome to reach out, I could certainly use all the knowledge I can collect! 

• Like 6

Greetings DecoDog!   

Congratulations!  Its always gratifying to hear about cars we've featured on here that have found new, enthusiastic, appreciative owners.   Your 1936 DeSoto Airstream has more great Art Deco details and features than most any other car then, its line-mate Airflow does as well.  Ray Dietrich, the famous designer/custom coach-builder, was when your car was styled leading the Chrysler Art & Color Styling Department, certainly had a great deal to do with your DeSoto's design.   Best of luck with your new acquisition and please keep us apprised of your progress and experiences with it.  Let the DeSoto adventures begin!

Steve

• Thanks 1