Who has a parts car ? (or several) Just curious.

padgett

12 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

Hi Pilgrim, MGA, early Sprites and Midgets , esp. Bug Eye's . TVR up to the Wedges. I have a 2500 M plus about 1/3 of a Grantura , some day I have to get serious about it and buy a new body shell , a previous owner did significant damage to the shell and threw it away, at least they are readily available if at a significant cost, Wife has a Morris Minor convertible , I have a Morris Minor based Buckler project, Series 2 Europa { Renault }, my old auto-X car but gradually evolving back to a street car. British cars are a bad habit !

Like Jag's but well beyond my pocket these days.

Hi had an 60 mga  till last year ,but had storage problem , leaky garage (not mine so couldn’t repair) so moved it on.

I currently drive a 72 triumph  stag and are helping source parts for my friends Mga and midget projects enclose photo of stag taken at friends wedding last year 

love Morris minor convertibles , classic motoring . My jag is not a classic , will be one day its an xkr , Xk 120etc beyond my budget too.😊 

6F437A78-B7DA-4C66-964C-4A6B81020F17.jpeg

• Like 1

Space is too valuable to keep a parts car and I have found that most cars have the same failed parts unless it is a major body part.

Not me, but I do know some people who have so many spare parts collected they couldn't find a specific part if they needed it. Just another thing for the estate to deal with.

How the spare parts hoarder pictures himself.

Steven Spurrier, Who Upended Wine World With a Tasting, Dies at 79 - The New  York Times

• Haha 1

No, wine is only stored upright in stores. (well guess with a screw top it would not matter).

trivia "Great wines of Idaho" quote.

In general I know what is there, just exactly where in 2,000 sq ft of garage a particular item is...

4 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Space is too valuable to keep a parts car and I have found that most cars have the same failed parts unless it is a major body part.

Not me, but I do know some people who have so many spare parts collected they couldn't find a specific part if they needed it. Just another thing for the estate to deal with.

How the spare parts hoarder pictures himself.

Steven Spurrier, Who Upended Wine World With a Tasting, Dies at 79 - The New  York Times

My technique is to always keep the parts cars intact. Once you dismantle them you are correct , the loose parts become a PITA. And at best difficult to organise.

At estate time it is usually a lot easier to find a buyer for a mostly intact car than heaps of loose parts. Assuming you have accumulated cars that still have at least a cult following.

Almost everything I have has at least some collector interest and is at the very least in scarce supply.

I came to the end of the road with 240 Volvo's about 8 years ago and I have been selling off parts to the general public { a craigslist ad } since then. I bought the 3 parts cars to keep the two my wife and I were using as daily drivers going. Those 3 $200.00 each parts cars plus one of the former drivers have generated quite a bit of pocket money . Over the last decade 240's have gone from very common to reasonably rare cars with a strong cult keeping them on the road.  I have been told by a few of the parts buyers I a selling parts too cheap, but as far as I am concerned I want both party's happy and repeat buyers. Been working well so far.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

52 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

.............................. selling parts ......................... working well so far.

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the call. Let’s see if your ‘26 Cadillac chassis parts, and ‘26 or ‘27 spare engine and trans can find a use, while getting more space and juice money for you. Might as well show a few pics right here. If the engine has a forward mounted distributor, it will be a late ‘27. If not, a picture of the oil pump will tell us what you have. I could buy some of it when you come visiting post crown virus.   -    Carl 

Hi Carl, I thoroughly enjoyed the chance to chat. I had a look at the engine , it is a rear distributor . The serial number is 106044 , stamped into the generator mount just at the base of the oil fill tower. Both the starter and generator were off and in pieces when I got it. In a couple of rotting cardboard boxed so probably not even usable as cores. But I still have the parts in case someone needed any component parts. I don't think either of the armatures are usable.  As well the water pump has what looks like a braze repair on the main body. So just a core engine and trans. Plus the rolling frame. I will try to get some photo's up this week.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

The amount of space you have and the desire to store stuff "just in case" determines your attitude to parts cars. I'm fortunate to have tons of storage space (and shedding) so can grab one or more parts cars for a project if need be. It is true, as someone pointed out above, that the same parts wear out just as fast on all your parts cars, so you still need to know parts suppliers for your particular car (and you will soon find yourself helping out others with parts). You have to beware, though, of crossing into hoarder territory, trying to "save them from the scrapman" and spending too much time sorting your "stuff", instead of actually making progress with your project car. A complete parts car is a VERY helpful reference and highlights the importance of clubs and knowing people with a similar vintage car who you can compare notes with.

Parts cars. I have a 1915 Buick C-37 Touring I could label as a parts car. May fix it someday. Also a spare engine and a few other odds and ends. I figure it is insurance and keeps The C-36 Buick from breaking anything that I can't get. Dandy Dave!  

• Like 1

On 4/15/2021 at 8:25 PM, Robert G. Smits said:

With luck I will have the parts car roadworthy tomorrow after a 3 month rehab. Plan to drive it 5000 miles and then do a oil analysis.  If t

Was able to fire up the parts car yesterday.  The rehab consisted of a complete re-do of the fuel system including a new fuel distributor, fuel pump and filter along with sending the gas tank to the ReNu people in Waller Tx and flushed the lines.  Complete brake re-do.  Replaced the timing chain guides and tensioner.  Timing chain had no stretch and looked new.  I did find a guide that had broken from age while sitting there. (See Photo)  Starting the engine without new guides would have been catastrophic.  Of course I replaced all belts, hoses and fluids, plugs and flushed the old coolant.  Starts instantly with no smoke.  I do have  a couple of noisy lifters that will need replacing if they don't quiet down.  It is always satisfying when a project is finished.

IMG_0300.jpg

image0.jpeg

We have grabbed up most any parts car we came across for the vehicles that we have and are fortunate to have 20 acres of space to store them. Some have travelled a fair distance to get here. They have easily paid for themselves in supplying parts or information during a restoration or in helping keep the completed cars on the road where they belong. A virtual pot of gold.

IMG_1950.jpg

• Like 1

I then pass them on to others who need what is left.  I have acquired several parts cars over the years.  I recently swapped engines with a 1930 parts car and resold it to another restorer (for the same $$) who needed other non-engine parts .  So, although I currently have no parts cars; it is  because I only own them until I don't need any more parts from them.  However, I do have lots of hard to find spares on the shelf in case they are needed by me or others.

There is no single answer for me. There are too many variables, like immediate need, rarity of vehicle, and intended real goal. Between my advanced age and unwillingness to get elbow deep in another project, and purchase would be pure whimsy. Then there is my personal aversion to tearing apart a car that may be restorable. Today I'm more apt to accept the internet as my friend. I can find most anything that I need by monitoring eBay or other sales outlets. I say more power to those who are willing and able to do the work of dismantling, so I don't have to.  

I had a parts car when I did my 77 as I needed a good bit of sheet metal. Not much left when I was finished but the stub frame and I gave that away a couple of years ago. I am not a parts guy, but for some reason stuff kinda finds me. I have tons of spares now to the point that for me its just about too much. When Im done the 79 I plan on cleaning house and getting rid of everything.

I have 5 parts cars-Cadillac, and a 40' Conex, along with another 40' containers worth of parts (Mostly 60s Cadillac, some 50s and 70s, along with Nova and 69 Mopar parts).  Much easier to restore with parts cars, but have 14 acres to store stuff. 

Chuck

Edited by ChazA (see edit history)