It's mice season. Set your traps

Bhigdog

1 hour ago, rocketraider said:

D-con is effective but if you're worried they'll stink up the place use Ramik Green pellets. It dehydrates them so they become little mouse mummies and don't smell. Most farm supply stores have it and some claim it works on squirrels too. And I know the little @#$%^&! like it, because they broke into an unopened bag and helped themselves. I couldn't smell it thru the plastic bag, but they could.

God in his wisdom had a reason for every critter he put on earth, but why venomous snakes, stinging insects, mosquitos, ticks, and sharks? Add meeces to that list.🙄 I mean, honestly, what good is a rodent? What do they do besides mess up your stuff?

Part of the food chain....... I hear ya with the venomous snakes (or any snake for that matter) stinging insects and alike, but there is nothing like catching a shark on a Montauk Charter Boat, at least they provide some entertainment. 

Add Madagascar too Padgett. There and Oz have some truly bizarre critters found nowhere else.

A platypus is proof the Creators had a sense of humor. Imagine being the first Englishman to see one. I laugh at every Lunchables commercial I see. A platypus and a jackalope.

But I'm glad we don't have such here. Druther have the meeces.

Killed five already since August. 

In the year 2018, I killed over two dozen mice in the garage/carriage house where I store my car and engines.  I really decimated the local population.  Did not have another mice show up for many many months.  

15 minutes ago, Pomeroy41144 said:

Killed five already since August. 

In the year 2018, I killed over two dozen mice in the garage/carriage house where I store my car and engines.  I really decimated the local population.  Did not have another mice show up for many many months.  

I got another one last night. Snap trap with peanut butter bait. After the initial frost provoked invasion they do tend to slacken off.......Bob

Your topic was an excellent reminder for me,

Bhigdog Bob.  I went out and bought some 

mouse traps the other day.

The only time I saw a mouse in my garage was

a year ago.  Then, I saw a blacksnake in there

waiting for a meal.  That's the only time I found

a blacksnake in my garage!  The snake clearly

had come in for a snack.

• Thanks 1

Trying a new approach this year. I bought a very high power sonic pest repellent box, plugs in. I tried smaller/cheaper versions of these years ago with limited success. This one got good reviews and has 3 levels of power settings, the highest is suppose to be annoying to humans but old ears have a few advantages, so I have it set on high. I still have all my normal traps out so we will see, I usually catch a dozen or so every year. It has been on high for a couple of months now and the traps have been empty so far.

The ironic part is that this spring as i was bringing firewood from  the fields to near the house i uncovered two mouse nests with suckling mouse pups. I recovered the nests to protect the pups from the elements. Hopefully good karma will protect my cars upholstery.......bob

• Like 1

Pomeroy, you remind me of a co-worker who was overrun with groundhogs😃. He'd sit on his back porch with a .223 and pick them off in the field. One year he got 27. To my gratitude and delight, I haven't seen a groundhog around my place in a couple years though I do see them standing up on the roadsides every so often, and wish I had the rifle in the truck.

Bhigdog, you're a much kinder man than I am. I don't think mice understand karma. They think with their bellies.

29 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

Bhigdog, you're a much kinder man than I am. I don't think mice understand karma. They think with their bellies.

In it's common meaning karma is accepted to mean that any act of kindness or good accrues, in the long term, to the benefit of the actor. So while a litter of blind suckling mice pups don't understand the concept I saw no reason to destroy them. If they at some point threaten me then there is just cause. Until then I wish them no harm....................Bob

• Like 4

I have sealed up my garage the same way. It works. Don't let the vehicle sit outside and then drive in with a stowaway or two. BTW, if you use a sticky trap and find a innocent victim entraped, mineral oil will dissolve the adhesive very quickly and without trauma. Save the lizards! (I'd use a modified version of a phrase heard on the news these days, ad nauseam, but that wouldn't be politically correct.)

I have enough lizards that the sticky trap isn't going to make much of a dent in the population. I have Goodyear lizards (blue and gold striped) and some scaly brown ones. Past few weeks I've seen newly hatched ones around. Barely 3 inches long and the most ridiculous-looking critters ever. I get a good laugh over them.

I have an old well house out back and they like it. One of the brown ones sits on the cover and basks. Named him Mr Wizard the Lizard, for those of you who remember Tooter Turtle on King Leonardo cartoons. Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drone...🦎

• 1 month later...

On 10/13/2020 at 8:00 PM, Jim Bollman said:

Trying a new approach this year. I bought a very high power sonic pest repellent box, plugs in. I tried smaller/cheaper versions of these years ago with limited success. This one got good reviews and has 3 levels of power settings, the highest is suppose to be annoying to humans but old ears have a few advantages, so I have it set on high. I still have all my normal traps out so we will see, I usually catch a dozen or so every year. It has been on high for a couple of months now and the traps have been empty so far.

Jim,

Tell us the manufacturer of the sonic pest repellent you are using.

Thanks!

Now I know how the meeces made off with my snap trap!😃

I finally found the squirrel trap that disappeared a few months back. Somehow, whatever swiped it dragged it close to 100 yards into the woods across the county road. Spied it after leaves had dropped and sun glinted off it. Course getting it back was another matter. Had to whack thru a thicket of smilax vines. That mess is worse than kudzu and has thorns to boot.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Please do not tell my Wife but we have a blacksnake living in our unfinished basement and dirt floored crawl spaces.  We used to have a mouse problem but have not seen one in maybe 3 years.  I know the snake has been here at least 2 years. Furnace repair man saw him 2 weeks ago.