Fiero not ran for 25 years what can I expect to leak

erichill

I have the opportunity to buy back a v-6 Fiero I sold 25 years ago. Mileage is less than 20K, Ran beautifully when sold, but sat covered with a tarp ever since. Is there any truth that various seals in the engine and transmission will leak from sitting? Would I be inviting a ton of headaches? I expect brake calipers would/could be frozen, and of course need new tires.  It has sat covered in a driveway in PA for 25 years.  

I would think the rubber seals around the doors will be bad and brakes as you mentioned.  Depends on price and how much you would be willing to spend on it.  Think of it as a girlfriend you haven’t seen in 25 years, she may not look as good as you remember!

• Like 4

What might leak ? Everything. Heaven only nose what is in the gas tank and who has been living in the exhaust pipes. Figure on disassembling everything (and I'd pull the plugs and borescope the cyls. Hope the bolts on the firewall side exhaust manifold are good...( I don't give up on most but is easier to pull the engine.)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, erichill said:

Is there any truth that various seals in the engine and transmission will leak from sitting? Would I be inviting a ton of headaches?

Yes, you're likely to have leaky seals;  and yes,

you are likely to have problems, I'm sorry to say.

For May-June 2007, noted automotive author Tim Howley

wrote an article for the Lincoln Continental Owners' Club

magazine, on the subject of low-mileage cars.  They

are prone to problems, he said, because it's likely they

weren't stored properly or driven sufficiently.  This is 

exactly the case you describe.

When such a car is put up for sale, Mr. Howley wrote,

"Of course, nobody ever bothered to flush out the brake

system, replace all the brake components, or drain or

replace all the fluids, hoses, and belts;  and a tune-up

was out of the question....So the buyer puts the car

back in service, and everything goes bad within a few

miles.  There are rotten hoses and belts.  The transmission

goes out.  A head gasket blows.  The air conditioning

system collapses.  The rusted-out exhaust system

falls on the garage floor, or worse yet, falls out on the

highway during a pleasure trip.  A dry-rotted tire blows.

The list of possible problems goes on."

"The car may look like new when it is washed and polished, 

the engine compartment is hosed down, the whitewall tires

are cleaned, and somebody sprays sweet-smelling air

freshener into the interior.  Some of these cars were actually

run occasionally and sound pretty good.  But when you

buy one, the whole thing collapses like a car from Honest

John's Used Car Lot..."

I'd say that man did automotive history a great disservice

by not maintaining the Fiero, and you would probably be

happier if you were patient enough to find a different but

well-maintained example.  Don't worry about low mileage.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

if it has been under a plastic tarp outside in PA for 25 years leaky seals will be the least of your problems. Everything that can rust, rot, or get moldy has already done so.

Let it go man. It's already dead, it just doesn't know it yet.

Thanks for all the input.  Definitely a few more things to consider than I thought of. Its a shame but no the car wasn't set up to be stored long term.  I will probably pass on the car as it would end up needing more than its worth, and I am not that attached to it to make it such a project that it could become.

• Like 1

I'm doing a car right now that was in storage (in a shop) for about 25 years and had to replace every rubber piece, even the boots on the tierods were rotted, have to replace the entire fuel system, brake system (the wheels cylinders look perfect until you pull the rubber cup off and see the piston rusted in place), even the rubber pads under the radiator, all the electrical even though the mice weren't as bad as I expected, drain and replace all fluids inclu trans & differential.  I've spent weeks on it and just now ready to start spinning the motor over without the plugs.  If the Fiero was outside with tarp trapping the moisture inside it you will have a project on your hands, is this the project you want and the car you want to commit to? that is the real question.

• Like 1

Sometimes a car long dormant IS brought back

to life.  It just has to be desirable enough, or

valuable enough, to make a new owner want to

expend many hours of time and many thousands

of dollars.  For example, if it was your grandfather's

Plymouth that he bought new in 1937;  or a coveted

Packard roadster;  or a 1953 Cadillac Eldorado

convertible.

But I'm quite sure there is a Fiero club, and you can

find a nice Fiero in the 4-digit price range.  That's 

a lot better than spending 5 digits of your cash

to end up with a 4-digit value.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lebowski said:

Also, every time someone starts a thread about Fieros I post this video to show what a classy group Fiero owners are (and I'm being serious)....

The first Guy that looked at a Fiero I was selling for parts was this.  Though it was 1 year off from his and alot of stuff just wouldn't interchange he was still considering it because it had so many good parts.  It was a car left outside that didn't run but had alot of really good plastic and even interior pieces.  The second guy that shows up with the same car I was selling in the same color with a busted fender and door,( surprisingly the weather strip on mine was in amazing condition though I don't know why and his all falling off,) and mine had a plethora of other good parts he needed.  He then said boy I need to think about it.  I think i was asking 250 for it with about 4 other people in line to come look at it if he didn't take it.  

All he had to do was buff the pieces out which still had good paint in his color and bolt them on his car.  He even told me Fiero parts cars were had to come by cheap as guys just didn't want to part with them.  (probably the reason i had atleast 10 inquiries in the first couple of hours it was listed)

I just wish I stumbled on a parts car for mine like this. What's to think about when you are looking at a reasonably priced parts car that's a dead twin of yours with everything you need to fix yours for $250?

• Haha 1

OK, bottom line is make a thorough examination over and under. If cosmetically acceptable/minimal corrosion then EVERTHING in a Fiero drivetrain and electronics is both plentiful and there are people who have done it before. Pennock's is a wonderful resource.

I had several Fieros I am not sure how many (84, 86, two 87s and I forget), just bought a Reatta because my hip started to hurt (was in 2000 and still have my hip) and wanted something a little larger. Then I saw the touchscream and was all over. Personally think the best all around Fiero was the 1987 GT with a five speed and roof vent. Just make sure on a V6 that the exhaust manifold on the firewall side does not leak.

From your description a few Benjamins should do it.

Unless it is FREE or you have a love affair with the car....RUN.  OK that is the intelligent advice, I rarely take my advice, I should.  The problem is the cars are available running and driving for reasonable money, unless this car is really special?

Facebook Marketplace is full of them...

image.thumb.png.717c686b780ff85c012a1f392df83030.png

Thanks again. The only reason i am considering was my brother and I built the Corson Ferrari 512 out of it, and its a cool car.  I sold him my portion of the car to finance a business I started. He shortly disassembled the car to repaint, but then moved and never completed the repaint. I am not that much in love with the car to end up investing what sounds like could be many thousands of dollars just in repairs let alone finish the painting and new tires. I already have two prewar antique cars i am working on so don't need a third project.

If I wanted the car and it was cheap I would buy it, counting on replacing battery, brakes, tires, etc etc. I would not count on driving it next week. But parts are cheap and available so far as I know and it could be a fun project. Not something you could make money on unless you just clean it up, get it running and flip it as is.

• Like 1

Wonder why you'd be concerned about leaks.  I think there may be bigger issues to contend with.

Terry

On 8/26/2020 at 10:42 AM, auburnseeker said:

The first Guy that looked at a Fiero I was selling for parts was this.  Though it was 1 year off from his and alot of stuff just wouldn't interchange he was still considering it because it had so many good parts.  It was a car left outside that didn't run but had alot of really good plastic and even interior pieces.  The second guy that shows up with the same car I was selling in the same color with a busted fender and door,( surprisingly the weather strip on mine was in amazing condition though I don't know why and his all falling off,) and mine had a plethora of other good parts he needed.  He then said boy I need to think about it.  I think i was asking 250 for it with about 4 other people in line to come look at it if he didn't take it.  

All he had to do was buff the pieces out which still had good paint in his color and bolt them on his car.  He even told me Fiero parts cars were had to come by cheap as guys just didn't want to part with them.  (probably the reason i had atleast 10 inquiries in the first couple of hours it was listed)

I just wish I stumbled on a parts car for mine like this. What's to think about when you are looking at a reasonably priced parts car that's a dead twin of yours with everything you need to fix yours for $250?

There's the best reason to stay away yet!

Pass on this and if you really want a Fiero, buy an 88 clean driver. Road ready. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1