Wheels and tires, Tires and Wheels

crowvet

1 hour ago, drhach said:

I have to say. So far, I haven't seen anything that looks better than the OEM road Wheels. Just my opinion, but Buick did it right the first time. 

These are not OEM, but a combination of spoke wheels with a center cap assembly I made. No, they are not made by Buick. I like the idea of mine emulating the wire wheel covers in the 63/64 Riviera. The spinner is original and the emblem is an exact copy of the original.

46620D01-B0DC-4091-860E-774E092DB5DE.jpeg

07C0557D-4AC4-4C9C-9BCA-B28AA3BEA852.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/18/2020 at 6:11 PM, Black River said:

20x8.5 and 20x10 Ridler 695s on my former Riv.

trip7.png

trip8.png

You had this automobile personalized first rate. It takes good design and taste to personalize a classic and not over do.

Some people try to improve on the classic design in tricky areas and they come up short. Everything about this car says first class!

Turbinator

• Like 2

On 8/18/2020 at 11:32 AM, drhach said:

I have to say. So far, I haven't seen anything that looks better than the OEM road Wheels. Just my opinion, but Buick did it right the first time. 

dr, you have a major point I support. I was lucky and fell in love with 63-65 turbines. My favorite wheel cover of all time. I like them so much I restore turbines. 

On the other hand if a gent wants to personalize his car and HE likes it. I’ll never talk someone out of liking how they outfit their chariot. If I don’t like the gents taste I keep it to myself. If can’t say something good...., well I’ll make something up or ask a question.

Turbinator

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Turbinator said:

You had this automobile personalized first rate. It takes good design and taste to personalize a classic and not over do.

Some people try to improve on the classic design in tricky areas and they come up short. Everything about this car says first class!

Turbinator

Thanks :)  Yep, was a labor of love for a few years, lots and lots of work.  Miss it but couldn't afford my '60 Coupe Deville without sacrificing it.  Build thread from the time I picked it up until it got loaded on the trailer for the new owner:  http://v8buick.com/index.php?threads/my-63-riviera-custom.316125/

Edited by Black River (see edit history)

11 hours ago, Turbinator said:

I’m happy to be wrong. Are tires DB? I thought I saw those tires on the DB website. Whatever. They real good, real good. The wheel covers or wheels are first class all the way. Great match up!

Turbinator

Thanks, I'm not sure about the tires. They wheels came with the car. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, RivNut said:

That looks very "1963ish".  So, what tire is that exactly?  Daily driver or only for show? Nice.

Ed, the tire is known as American Classic ( Auburn) radial bias look 710-R-15. The tire has the same appearance as the original bias tires with the pie crust look along with Original tread design tread. Tires ride fine. When you turn real quick the tires do not fold over. My taste is suited to the boulevard ride as opposed to a magic carpet ride. With the suspension refreshed the steering and ride is great.

Im changing my insurance so I can drive more often and be covered. I’d like to drive about 4000miles or so a year.

Turbinator

• Like 1

Some time ago I bought a set of Kelsey Hayes "Stripper" wheels for my Riv. Don't have them mounted yet. They're 15x6, with a 5x5 BP. They're crazy rare, and not supposed to exist in that BP size. Mine look like they've never been used, there's no wear on the lug holes from nuts or anything. Attached is a bad photoshop I did of them on a Riv.

I like them because they're stylistically like a wire wheel, and the finned look works with the finned covers on the fenders.

64 Riv Stripper wheels.jpg

kelsey-satin-stripper redline.jpg

Edited by jsgun (see edit history)
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, RivNut said:

Turb, 

Hopefully you realize the questions that I ask are out of curiosity or being filled for future reference.  Was/is a 760R15 tire like your 710 available? My 63 came with the 7.60 and 6 inch rims.

8 hours ago, RivNut said:

Turb, 

Hopefully you realize the questions that I ask are out of curiosity or being filled for future reference.  Was/is a 760R15 tire like your 710 available? My 63 came with the 7.60 and 6 inch rims.

Ed, of course. The 760 R 15 AS I REMEMBER, are available. I stayed with the 710 R 15 because the car came with 5 1/2” wheels. I believe the service manual noted the 760’s were an option. Ed, my luck on ordering parts that fit as they should for my 63 has not been to my satisfaction, I bought a new fan shroud and it had to be drilled to fit. The rear sway bar from ADDCO was all wrong.i bought a rebuilt starter from CARS and I had to have the starter rebuilt after I received the starter. I decided to stay with what the manual said was standard size tire. I will say the 710 R 15 appears to be more substantial than what I thought it would be. 
Turbinator

• Like 1

Here are period correct 7.10 x 15 biased 1" whitewalls with '64 "R" script straight spoke wire wheel covers. The chassis is restored with new suspension bushings. The rubber body mounts are new and at full height, at least 1 1/3" thicker at the cowl and the rear frame arch.

The front springs a new MOOG and the rears are new from Coil Spring Specialties. The shocks are Monroe gas. All sleeved rubber suspension joints were spread for freedom of movement and tightened with weight in the trunk to compensate for the fuel load.

The lower rocker panel line is equal distance from the ground front to rear and the stainless side trim lines up closely with the center of the wheel covers.

031.thumb.jpg.59335e543d842d1f1904c90191597c44.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/9/2020 at 7:04 PM, Turbinator said:

70CBC4C7-CD4B-4C6C-A7B8-EB9DDC253C5A.jpeg

050DC27D-7295-40C0-A3B8-093361A6D943.jpeg

Hi Turbinator

I am running the same bias look radials on my Thunderbird. I have had them for about a year now. They are a bit narrow but the tbird has 14 inch wheels as stock. I similarly went with it for the look, which I love ...but, were I to do it again might go differently. 

20200613_164527.jpg

Edited by Belle Riv Devo (see edit history)
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Belle Riv Devo said:

Hi Turbinator

I am running the same bias look radials on my Thunderbird. I have had them for about a year now. They are a bit narrow but the tbird has 14 inch wheels as stock. I similarly went with it for the look, which I love ...but, were I to do it again might go differently. 

20200613_164527.jpg

Belle, I can tell you because I’m old. I drove on bias tires, a lot. The American Classic Auburn Radial BIAS LOOK is worth the money to me. I rebuilt my suspension front to back and aged ADDCO sway bars front and back. My ride and steering are taught. No magic carpet or feeling like you are flying an airplane. At the same time my car is not rack and pinion, but more like a boulevard ride. Looks TruSpoke on your T Bird?

20 hours ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

My personal choice. Wheels styles that suited cars in that era. Not my car either, but would like a set of those Cragars!

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀

I love old cragars, I was considering going with those. They're the old school lowrider wheel of choice. Also a big fan of Keystone Klassics. I'd love to have some chrome reverse steel wheels. The Wildcat wheels I have now are starting to grow on me though.

• Like 1

Here’s my setup,  15 x 8 U.S. Wheels all the way around.  M/T drag radials,  295/55/15’s in the rear and  M/T sportsman s/t radials 255/60/15 in the front.  They fit nice with no rubbing in the rear with full exhaust.  In the front, they will rub on the inside at the very end of lock to lock.

B3EF668A-DF97-4A39-A291-69F4B07C39FC.jpeg

0567F44E-A314-4912-9C53-EE019A3CE1B9.jpeg

11 hours ago, Turbinator said:

Looks TruSpoke on your T Bird?

They are the original Kelsey Hayes 48 spoke wire wheels and tubes. TruSpoke makes reproductions to look like them. I think they do a good job. I never had the (dis)pleasure of real bias ply - but I do like the look. I just feel like going around big corners - I might benefit from more surface area. Not sure how much of that is real and how much imagined. 🙂

30 minutes ago, Belle Riv Devo said:

They are the original Kelsey Hayes 48 spoke wire wheels and tubes. TruSpoke makes reproductions to look like them. I think they do a good job. I never had the (dis)pleasure of real bias ply - but I do like the look. I just feel like going around big corners - I might benefit from more surface area. Not sure how much of that is real and how much imagined. 🙂

Well, I’m supposing it is preference. The nylon bias ply are no fun as far as I’m concerned. When radial tires came out I thought that was great. I can remember my Auntie having a big Ford  Convertible and she put Michelin radials on the car. The tires appeared to be low on air, but she said  the tires were designed that way.

I have another set of wire wheels I bought from TruSpoke. The rim is chrome, but the wires and nipples are Stainless. I have 225-70R/15 on the TruSpoke wheels. I designed and made a Buick spinner and tower to go on the wheel. I’ll include a pic.

I can say the Radial bias look from American Classic is a most satisfactory radial. I’ve had to make some safe maneuvers to make an exit off the Interstate or steering correction to stay in the lane and they handle fine. The reason the radial bias look is I’m trying to stay stock as much as humanly possible. I’m not a purist and no perfectionist, however I do like my repairs and updates done right. I do as much of the work on my car as I can. I’m slow and have many do over jobs. I’m trying to put 2  one and a half inch gauges in my ash tray. The ash tray closes and the gauges are out of sight. I’ve had many do over efforts to get the gauges installed in a neat fashion. I have no clue how many hours I have in the job. Oh, I’m not a trained mechanic nor am I good at mechanics. Here is the tire and wheel I made up.

3587A848-C746-4615-AB46-5A898495B8AC.jpeg

7DB5388D-49A8-42A5-843C-7BA2127B27A3.jpeg

• Like 2

Waaaaay back when, I had a set of 15 x 6 Radir wheels on my '63. I had to use an adapter because the wheels had the 4-3/4" bolt pattern.  The original wheels, like I had, were an aluminum center riveted to a chrome plated rim.  You might recognize them. They were on the original Batmobile and on the Munster's koach.  They were a favorite of George Barris.  The one pictured is one of the new one piece wheels, machined but not yet drilled for bolt holes.  There were a coupe of different styles.

682589497_RRmade(22).jpg.ec8071c4b8925d4d71e321629eabf9ed.jpg

Remember Marilyn?

89ca52bcb9e12b4fb17f320942143bdd--the-munsters-kustom.jpg.385ebbd5c7529730505394219426259d.jpg

f5bb7c0d72b1fadb8f4f9070736bb6a2.jpg.2e8b9be9eac80f91c7b950ab7526ca08.jpg

If nothing else, they, like the Cragars, are period correct.  Turb could probably come up with a center cap.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 2