Wheels and tires, Tires and Wheels

crowvet

On 9/12/2020 at 7:38 PM, Turbinator said:

Well, I’m supposing it is preference. The nylon bias ply are no fun as far as I’m concerned. When radial tires came out I thought that was great. I can remember my Auntie having a big Ford  Convertible and she put Michelin radials on the car. The tires appeared to be low on air, but she said  the tires were designed that way.

I have another set of wire wheels I bought from TruSpoke. The rim is chrome, but the wires and nipples are Stainless. I have 225-70R/15 on the TruSpoke wheels. I designed and made a Buick spinner and tower to go on the wheel. I’ll include a pic.

I can say the Radial bias look from American Classic is a most satisfactory radial. I’ve had to make some safe maneuvers to make an exit off the Interstate or steering correction to stay in the lane and they handle fine. The reason the radial bias look is I’m trying to stay stock as much as humanly possible. I’m not a purist and no perfectionist, however I do like my repairs and updates done right. I do as much of the work on my car as I can. I’m slow and have many do over jobs. I’m trying to put 2  one and a half inch gauges in my ash tray. The ash tray closes and the gauges are out of sight. I’ve had many do over efforts to get the gauges installed in a neat fashion. I have no clue how many hours I have in the job. Oh, I’m not a trained mechanic nor am I good at mechanics. Here is the tire and wheel I made up.

3587A848-C746-4615-AB46-5A898495B8AC.jpeg

7DB5388D-49A8-42A5-843C-7BA2127B27A3.jpeg

Turbinator ... I applaud your doing stuff yourself regardless of the amount of time it takes. I cant make toast without burning it. The light in my kitchen burned out and I was ready to put the house on the market. :-).

My only skill is that I seem to be able to find smart capable people who pity me -but are willing to share their knowledge and abilities. I suppose that is why I am here. 🙂

I chose the bias look radials because I too like the original look but I think it gives me about an extra half inches of height and show some leg on the wheels - which I like.

On 9/12/2020 at 9:21 PM, RivNut said:

Waaaaay back when, I had a set of 15 x 6 Radir wheels on my '63. I had to use an adapter because the wheels had the 4-3/4" bolt pattern.  The original wheels, like I had, were an aluminum center riveted to a chrome plated rim.  You might recognize them. They were on the original Batmobile and on the Munster's koach.  They were a favorite of George Barris.  The one pictured is one of the new one piece wheels, machined but not yet drilled for bolt holes.  There were a coupe of different styles.

682589497_RRmade(22).jpg.ec8071c4b8925d4d71e321629eabf9ed.jpg

Remember Marilyn?

89ca52bcb9e12b4fb17f320942143bdd--the-munsters-kustom.jpg.385ebbd5c7529730505394219426259d.jpg

f5bb7c0d72b1fadb8f4f9070736bb6a2.jpg.2e8b9be9eac80f91c7b950ab7526ca08.jpg

If nothing else, they, like the Cragars, are period correct.  Turb could probably come up with a center cap.

The photo with the red Bat emblem looks great. Did the Red Bat stay level as the rolled or the Red Bat emblem spin with wheel?

On 9/10/2020 at 2:39 PM, MY64RIVIERA said:

I want to change mine out to a custom wheel and tire too, however I'm finding it hard to leave behind the classic white wall and wire hubcap look.  I also want something unique that isn't a Ridler, American Racing Torque Thrust II or US Mag (All by the way look great). 

Riviera1.jpg

You have your work cut out for you. There are so many great looking wheels you can put on your car and you would have an astounding appearance. Personally I believe the tire, wheel, and stance when all go together make the look. So, a person has many choices to consider.

It would be neat if software existed so you could “ try on” different combinations of tires and wheels on your car using the computer.

Thank you for putting your car and idea up.

Turbinator

I have a full set of there original style Cragar SS wheels with caps in the boxes for $800 plus shipping. They are 17 X 8", 5X5, and not Unilug. I bought them new for my '94 Impala SS which came with 17" wheels. I had them on the car from August until the end of September a couple of years ago and went back to the stock wheels.

This wheel has been discontinued. It will give that '60's look in a larger diameter.

002.thumb.JPG.558fefbbba7e6e15adcd75fca36914e7.JPG

Here they are on the Chevy.

004.thumb.jpg.b46355cb7649c7d74884b4b2f94b7a4b.jpg

On 9/13/2020 at 11:03 PM, Belle Riv Devo said:

Turbinator ... I applaud your doing stuff yourself regardless of the amount of time it takes. I cant make toast without burning it. The light in my kitchen burned out and I was ready to put the house on the market. :-).

My only skill is that I seem to be able to find smart capable people who pity me -but are willing to share their knowledge and abilities. I suppose that is why I am here. 🙂

I chose the bias look radials because I too like the original look but I think it gives me about an extra half inches of height and show some leg on the wheels - which I like.

Belle, I’ve have friends that are pro entertainers in the music business. You are in the same boat with them on doing “ things”. The entertainers that I know that lead bands just show up to the gig. The stage,electric, sound reinforcement is all set up. In addition, a trusted long time admiring fan sells and collects money for CD sales at the shows. The entertainer takes a wad of cash folds the money and puts the money in his pocket. Generally, the entertainer has a driver.

Now I put a 1 1/2“ diameter sway bar on the front and back of my 63 zRiviera. The rear end was raised 3/4-1” which I don’t like. I’ve designed 1/4”-  5/16” thick steel discs that I’ll use to clamp my rear coil springs down about 1”. The design hopefully will provide constant pressure evenly on the coil spring. The modification is the least expensive and least harmful to the suspension. Going with coil over shocks and/or compressed air pressure systems are just more than I want to pay. If the ride is uncomfortable I’ll just remove the clamps.

The color of your T Bird is the style of colors I like. One of pals has a mint green Tolex covered Fender Amp. The cool factor is very high.

Thanks Turb... I loved the 3ird gen Thunderbirds (AKA flair birds). I was always really attracted to smooth sort of Deco lines of the car. With time I came to really like the first gen Rivieras and became attracted to the mid century styling. Later I came to realize that the Tbird and the Riv were direct competitors. It could be said the Thunderbird really launched the Riviera. I think it can also be said the the Riviera put the nail in the coffin for the Thunderbird - (yes they made it for a while longer but it was never the same after 1966) as the Riv pushed the envelope on quality and power.  

My Thunderbird and Riv sit in the same garage and I imagine, when I turn the lights out at night, that they fight like cats and dogs til I come back. 🙂

20200726_195129.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 9/18/2020 at 12:29 AM, Belle Riv Devo said:

Thanks Turb... I loved the 3ird gen Thunderbirds (AKA flair birds). I was always really attracted to smooth sort of Deco lines of the car. With time I came to really like the first gen Rivieras and became attracted to the mid century styling. Later I came to realize that the Tbird and the Riv were direct competitors. It could be said the Thunderbird really launched the Riviera. I think it can also be said the the Riviera put the nail in the coffin for the Thunderbird - (yes they made it for a while longer but it was never the same after 1966) as the Riv pushed the envelope on quality and power.  

My Thunderbird and Riv sit in the same garage and I imagine, when I turn the lights out at night, that they fight like cats and dogs til I come back. 🙂

20200726_195129.jpg

From what I’ve read the T Bird out sold the Riviera hands down. The neatest Ford I owned was a 61 Ford Sunliner.

For me, the neatest car Ive ever owned is my 63 zRiviera.

Turbinator

On 9/20/2020 at 12:08 PM, PWB said:

Hey there

Would you please tell again where you got your beautiful tires? 

Thanks 

Paul

Paul, I sent you a message. 

Diamond Back Tires in Conway, South Carolina sells these tires.

They are listed in their "Cadillac" tire section. I believe they only list one of two tire sizes for this style of WW, but you can get almost any tire size they sell with these stripes. I recommend calling them and talking with a salesman if you have a specific tire size requirement.

My tires are 235/75-15. So they are a little larger in diameter than stock. My car runs about 10mph faster that what the speedo reads in the 50-70 mph range. 

I hope this helps.