Not the usual McDonald's parking lot find...

Interestingly, I rarely haul open for obvious reasons. That said, an open trailer is the perfect break down recovery item, moves the farm equipment easily, and is a great place to put a table in the middle of a meadow for a nice romantic dinner with a lady friend........(did it a bunch of times!) I have hauled just about everything on an open trailer.....from Model J's to Crane-Simplex cars. The one thing that was a constant nuisance on the trailer was not a car........It was my Pierce Arrow Travelodge. People would try and pull me over on the highway to look at it. At any rest stop, it was hard to grab a nap. The trailer generated ten times more interest than a real J open car.........go figure.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Hopefully it was on the way to an event.  Would be nice if Johnny P would get active in the hobby again.

That "Chasing Classic Cars" episode was all you needed to know about the scripted nature of realty TV.   I saw him at Hershey the year he sold the tourster have not seen him since.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

The Concours events have become the new frontier of pre-WWII cars - it is not that I am opposed to some show in a parking lot, but often now I am one of a handful and it use to be I was one of the masses.  And, of course you have your Club specific yearly meets whether it Model A Ford, Frankins, Pierce-Arrow's, ACD products, or ....   However, my point is that a Concours event is generally designed to give you a variety and generally there are 8-10 cars in some class that will appeal to you (ex classes include, Brass, Twenties, Production Pre-War, CCCA, 50's, 60's, European, European/English Sports Cars, Newer Exotics, New Exotics, Japanese, Motorcycles, Cult Cars, often Trucks, usually some Special Feature, and the list goes on and on.   

As a sidenote:  I have organized a Concours for years now - Cincinnati Concours d'Elegance www.ohioconcours.com 

John, I met a couple, husband and wife (I remember she was a realtor), that were involved with the Cincy concours, at the Keenland concours a number of years ago. I spent a great deal of time talking with them, they were great people. They invited me to show my motorcycles at that event. Unfortunately I could not make it. Could that be you?

Getting back to the original post, speculation, could it be that the car was on its way to an enclosed transporter i.e. 18 wheeler, that would not fit in the owners street/developement etc. Just a quick load up on a trailer for a couple of miles to a larger loading area.

I have a hubley model of that same car, got it for Christmas, probably around mid 1970's.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

John, I met a couple, husband and wife (I remember she was a realtor), that were involved with the Cincy concours, at the Keenland concours a number of years ago. I spent a great deal of time talking with them, they were great people. They invited me to show my motorcycles at that event. Unfortunately I could not make it. Could that be you?

Rockie & Beverly Corsmeier - very lovely couple.  They probably have the finest Indian 4 cylinder and Excelsior collection on the globe.   PM me if you would like to be put in touch.

35 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

Getting back to the original post, speculation, could it be that the car was on its way to an enclosed transporter i.e. 18 wheeler, that would not fit in the owners street/developement etc. Just a quick load up on a trailer for a couple of miles to a larger loading area.

I have a hubley model of that same car, got it for Christmas, probably around mid 1970's.

It is more likely the case that they called around and the transport companies had wait periods, so the chose an available option.   There are plenty of open trailers in parking lots for ACD Festival (and for Duesenberg's too), but gets more and more rare by the year (actually the minute).  Friends bought a lovely Citroen 2CV back in February or so and she made transport arrangements, but after delay after delay we sent a local fellow down with an open trailer - car was retrieved within a day and a half - they lucked out and missed the giant snow storm too - it was dreamy.  

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

10 hours ago, Walt G said:

I wonder if that 1961 photo was taken at the Ridgefield, Ct. car meet held each Sept. the first Saturday after Labor Day and run by the Fairfield County Region HCCA.

YES! I took it, the very first car photo using a Brownie camera I got with Triple S Blue stamps. Bob 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, keithb7 said:

This sure is interesting to some of us mere mortals here who are into the old cars, who don't  play in the Concourse D'elegance scene. Just to have 1 car so unique that it can be spotted and ID'd almost instantly. References to the exact same car taken in a photo in 1961. The same car seen in an old reel movie from the 50's. Auction history with seemingly insane prices. This type of attention is completely foreign to most of us.  This is so rare and unique....Seems insane. How cool.

I got hooked on this car at 10 years of age, Quality, Good Looks, Workmanship are timeless. No need to the cheap shot to the owners of these fine pieces of timeless art. Bob 

1 hour ago, 1937hd45 said:

No need to the cheap shot to the owners of these fine pieces of timeless art. Bob 

What cheap shot? Where? Who's feelings did I hurt now? Have you read something between the lines of my post?

12 hours ago, ericmac said:

One of these days I'm going to put my Cadillac Fleetwood convertible sedan on an open trailer, pull it a couple miles down the road to McDonald's,  get a big coffee, sit by the window and watch. 

It's always interesting to get an insight into what people think is entertaining. The Cadillac........a 16? Or something a bit different?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, edinmass said:

It's always interesting to get an insight into what people think is entertaining. The Cadillac........a 16? Or something a bit different?

EVERYONE asks if my '29 is a V16...

1929-cadillac-dual-cowl-phaeton-emblem-jill-reger.jpg

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

Its probably worth noting that I have always been a people watcher, a factor at car shows that can be just as interesting as the cars. I should mention that I hold a Ph.D. in psychology so that may explain things.

My car? Its a '37 70 Series. So..."just a V-8" but a prettier car than the V-16 in my opinion.  While  wish it was a 12, you don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

00B0B_gPjRdsHyb7z_0kE0fu_600x450 (1).jpg

Edited by ericmac
Clarification (see edit history)
  • Like 7

9 hours ago, edinmass said:

It's always interesting to get an insight into what people think is entertaining.

My wife and I were sitting at a tall table on the other side of the big convenient store window.  My '64 Buick Riviera was a few feet from us while we had the pizza lunch special. The local police car had turned around and pulled in close to block my driver door. Two cops were working the computer on the dash of the patrol car. I said "Watch this".

In about 4 minutes they put the car in gear, backed out, and sped away.

My wife says "What was that about?"

"Year of manufacture license plates 101" I replied.

• Haha 3

• 1 year later...

Yes, Richie is always ready for a good time. He's easy going and fun to hang around with. We stopped at a small store on the tour.........something out of the movie scenes from Deliverance. It was a great day.

IMG_4239.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for sharing that video Cadillac Fan! I did not have the opportunity to check out the car at Hershey.

If you are a motorcycle fan try to make the trip to the Wheels Through Time Museum in Maggie Valley, NC. Fantastic collection of early motorcycles! The Wife and I got to meet Dale Walksler there a number of years ago. Down to earth sort of guy and very friendly. He was riding an early Harley Davidson around inside the museum!

Duesenberg J LeBaron 'barrel-side' phaeton b.JPG

• Like 1

On 7/27/2020 at 11:22 AM, keithb7 said:

This sure is interesting to some of us mere mortals here who are into the old cars, who don't  play in the Concourse D'elegance scene. Just to have 1 car so unique that it can be spotted and ID'd almost instantly. References to the exact same car taken in a photo in 1961. The same car seen in an old reel movie from the 50's. Auction history with seemingly insane prices. This type of attention is completely foreign to most of us.  This is so rare and unique....Seems insane. How cool.

Before someone accuses me of taking a "cheap shot" at such cars or their owners, I'm not.  The cars are pieces of art and more power to the owners who can afford them.  That said, I don't think I'd want to own such a well-known car even if I had the resources to do so.  Seems that sort of attention would make the car and me prime targets for various evildoers.  I'll just continue driving under the radar in ordinary cars.

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

That one might have been Tony Pascucci's.

If so it is the very first automobile I took a photo of at the Ridgefield HCCA Fall Meet in 1961. I was 10 years old and got the camera with Triple S blue stamps.  Set me on the course I've followed all my life. Bob 

DSCF9035.JPG

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, CHuDWah said:

Before someone accuses me of taking a "cheap shot" at such cars or their owners, I'm not.  The cars are pieces of art and more power to the owners who can afford them.  That said, I don't think I'd want to own such a well-known car even if I had the resources to do so.  Seems that sort of attention would make the car and me prime targets for various evildoers.  I'll just continue driving under the radar in ordinary cars.

Duesenbergs, V-16 Cadillacs, DV-32’s....ect.

They are just old cars, with more problems and issues than a Ford T. I enjoy my one cylinder car just as much as my V-12. price is irrelevant......I enjoy history, early auto technology, and for just a short few moments going back in time...........

• Like 4

As an aside, I did haul the Cadillac on an open trailer (a U-Haul no less!) to Greenfield Village.  As I threatened to do, I  stopped at McDonald's in Ann Arbor,  got an Egg McMuffin and a big coffee, and watched. Nothing...nobody seemed to even see the car. Oh well.

20210618_224850.jpg

• Like 2

I drove an 851 Auburn Speedster through In & Out Burger in Pasadena Ca while driving around looking for the Murphy Body Plant. The manager got upset from the traffic jam it caused in the parking lot at 1am........I don’t speak Spanish.......but had a great time with the locals drinking beer and eating animal style in the parking lot.......so many memories.........actual photo of the location.

94050D14-38C5-4525-87A5-7A8C6EDDA7A8.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, CHuDWah said:

Personally I'm thrilled that the owners of the cars you question put them on display. The cars and the people that restore them allow me to enjoy seeing them in person. Rarely to the owners of these vehicles turn out to be duds, I'd rather see their cars that the stuff in the Wal-Mart lot. 

Bob 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, edinmass said:

Duesenbergs, V-16 Cadillacs, DV-32’s....ect.

They are just old cars, with more problems and issues than a Ford T. I enjoy my one cylinder car just as much as my V-12. price is irrelevant......I enjoy history, early auto technology, and for just a short few moments going back in time...........

Me too.

16 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Personally I'm thrilled that the owners of the cars you question put them on display. The cars and the people that restore them allow me to enjoy seeing them in person. Rarely to the owners of these vehicles turn out to be duds, I'd rather see their cars that the stuff in the Wal-Mart lot. 

Bob 

Me too.

Again, I don't "question" the cars.  I admire them and appreciate the blood, toil, tears, sweat and treasure that goes into restoring and maintaining them.  And yes, the owners are great folks with only a rare not-so-great.

What I am saying is I have no desire to own such a car.  The resources in skill, tools, money, time, etc required to restore and maintain them puts them out of my league.  But it's more than that.  High-end old cars are works of art and pieces of history, both of which should be preserved and safeguarded.  I don't want that responsibility.  I'll stick to more mundane cars like 30s Fords and MoPars, both of which I've owned, restored, maintained and driven.