Great day for a car ride in the country

Brass is Best

7 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

Saturday morning  (08/24/24), Mrs. D and I decided to take our 1934 Ford V8 for a ride in the country.   Not being out of the bar for over 2 months, it started right up and we headed for Highlands, NC for a car guy gathering called "Butts On The Bench".    Highlands is about 2000 feet above our home at 4118 Ft., called a "Town with Altitude".

To get there we took Highlands Rd., which became the Cullasage Gorge Rd that hugged the gorge created by the Cullasaga River/  With a shear rock cliff to our left and a 200 foot drop to the river on  our right, we stayed in our lane and enjoyed a challenging drive.    We paused a the Sliding Rock Falls, the Bridal Veil falls and the Dry Falls in the 9 mile drive similar to the Tail of the Dragon (With 129 curves in it's 11 miles)   I was to busy to count the curves, we've the Tail of the Dragon too, which is less than 30 miles away.

Following the "Butts on the Bench stop", we visited a neat Thrift Store called Mountain Findings and didn't find anything we needed   Then we drove though the Bascom Art Museum's covered bridge and began our decent into Georgia that had switchbacks @ 10% grade for about 3 miles.  (A real test for mechanical brakes & Second gear)

Once in the valley we went to the Valley Cafe' for a nice lunch, then home on some valley bottom roads along the Little

Tennessee River, visiting some old car friends along the way.    A nice morning drive, and we only went 67 miles.    V8's Rule!

IMG_E0549[1].JPG

IMG_E0557[1].JPG

IMG_0558[1].JPG

Love the car and the bridge 

sounds like you had a great drive out 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

Saturday morning  (08/24/24), Mrs. D and I decided to take our 1934 Ford V8 for a ride in the country.   Not being out of the bar for over 2 months, it started right up and we headed for Highlands, NC for a car guy gathering called "Butts On The Bench".    Highlands is about 2000 feet above our home at 4118 Ft., called a "Town with Altitude".

To get there we took Highlands Rd., which became the Cullasage Gorge Rd that hugged the gorge created by the Cullasaga River/  With a shear rock cliff to our left and a 200 foot drop to the river on  our right, we stayed in our lane and enjoyed a challenging drive.    We paused a the Sliding Rock Falls, the Bridal Veil falls and the Dry Falls in the 9 mile drive similar to the Tail of the Dragon (With 129 curves in it's 11 miles)   I was to busy to count the curves, we've the Tail of the Dragon too, which is less than 30 miles away.

Following the "Butts on the Bench stop", we visited a neat Thrift Store called Mountain Findings and didn't find anything we needed   Then we drove though the Bascom Art Museum's covered bridge and began our decent into Georgia that had switchbacks @ 10% grade for about 3 miles.  (A real test for mechanical brakes & Second gear)

Once in the valley we went to the Valley Cafe' for a nice lunch, then home on some valley bottom roads along the Little

Tennessee River, visiting some old car friends along the way.    A nice morning drive, and we only went 67 miles.    V8's Rule!

IMG_E0549[1].JPG

IMG_E0557[1].JPG

IMG_0558[1].JPG

That is great! I love the skirts.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2024 at 12:08 AM, BobinVirginia said:

IMG_1669.jpeg.b688220b7ee80566214907cea1bd9394.jpegI didn’t drive a classic but drove to the ACD yesterday 

That place will wet your appetite for for expensive cars!

Edited by Paul Dobbin (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, BobinVirginia said:

Is that because of the shifting mechanism? Having seen one in person now, I see where it could be a problem 

Yes. The shifting system requires a mechanic who can read and think. There is not a complete shop manual from any one source. But several guides and manuals that can be studied. Small adjustments matter. Making sure each part of working properly matters. If you overlook one item, you will have a problem. It is more than worth the effort to properly sort a Cord. They are one of the most enjoyable cars you can own. Those who complain about them usually fall into two camps. The first has never owned, driven or touched one, but like to repeat untruths about the car. The second has owned one but was too lazy or cheap to properly care for the car. 

Edited by Brass is Best (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Stayed home on Labor Day, but today was to nice to pass up a ride in the country in our unrestored 1935 Ford Pickup.

We drove to town, ran a few errands and stopped for a photo in front of Clark's Barn.   This is the same barn that got

us on the cover of the V8 Times 14 years ago,  so we  took another picture and talked about selling the truck.   It ran

perfect and only took about 2 miles to get the flat spots out of the tires.  (Bias Ply)  then stopped for another photo in

front of another old barn being converted to a house.IMG_05801.JPG.8427b056feabfbf210e528bf72f6dba2.JPGCoverShot.jpg.c4816f45834069b02245eed49ab897c5.jpgIMG_05821.JPG.2f25bbf77163b7af7ea9d34ac4a61c99.JPG

• Like 11

On 9/2/2024 at 7:33 PM, BobinVirginia said:

Is that because of the shifting mechanism? Having seen one in person now, I see where it could be a problem 

Mainly.   If everything is brand new and adjusted properly it will work flawlessly.  If you have a 85 year old wiring harness, or a bad connection or two, you could be screwed.   It took us hours and hours to figure out there was a piece of solder touching the rivet in the selection switch.  See the photo.

CordSwitchAnnotated.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Mainly.   If everything is brand new and adjusted properly it will work flawlessly.  If you have a 85 year old wiring harness, or a bad connection or two, you could be screwed.   It took us hours and hours to figure out there was a piece of solder touching the rivet in the selection switch.  See the photo.

CordSwitchAnnotated.jpg

I love Cords. The Hoosier in me wants one.  The shift mechanism does scare me and give me pause, and Electrical things are my weakest skill.  

getting really good at this and being “the guy” to fly in and fix the problems with your shift mechanism could be a great retirement gig for you and keep cord owners from throwing up their hands and jumping off a bridge.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, alsancle said:

CordSwitchAnnotated.jpg

IMG_1386.jpeg.a4004e728318723bbc6419e8582425ad.jpegWhile I was admiring the dash of this Cord, I was wondering about everything involved with the shifter. Super cool cars and found it very comfortable even for a guy my size. 

Edited by BobinVirginia (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Been driving this little guy every day for almost a week--nearly 500 miles on it in six days. Finally got the carburetors right so it's just a joy to drive. Took a different long way home after work tonight and found a vintage gas station in the middle of the park. Took some photos and then finished my drive. This car exists solely for the joy of driving and it does its job rather well. The fact that it works so well as a regular car is pretty amazing, and no matter what I do, it gets almost 30 MPG. What a great little machine!

2024-09-0416_50_00a.jpg.97daeccad511117a6295452c1cc57fef.jpg

• Like 15

3 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Been driving this little guy every day for almost a week--nearly 500 miles on it in six days. Finally got the carburetors right so it's just a joy to drive. Took a different long way home after work tonight and found a vintage gas station in the middle of the park. Took some photos and then finished my drive. This car exists solely for the joy of driving and it does its job rather well. The fact that it works so well as a regular car is pretty amazing, and no matter what I do, it gets almost 30 MPG. What a great little machine!

2024-09-0416_50_00a.jpg.97daeccad511117a6295452c1cc57fef.jpg

Great photo Matt.

• Like 2

Matt, If I am not mistaken when you first took possession of this car you said you were not a Porsche guy and had it just because (more or less). Now it seems that the more you drive it the more it is invading your soul😁 Must be something about them. I like the looks of some of them but have never been crazy about a porsche. I can appreciate them for what they are but thats about it. Maybe I should take a test drive, seems to be something about them!

Likewise I felt the same about corvettes. I never had a desire to own one. I had a friend that let me take his Z06 out for a spin and I was hooked. I started to realize what all the fuss was about.

Great Picture!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TAKerry said:

Matt, If I am not mistaken when you first took possession of this car you said you were not a Porsche guy and had it just because (more or less). Now it seems that the more you drive it the more it is invading your soul😁 Must be something about them. I like the looks of some of them but have never been crazy about a porsche. I can appreciate them for what they are but thats about it. Maybe I should take a test drive, seems to be something about them!

Likewise I felt the same about corvettes. I never had a desire to own one. I had a friend that let me take his Z06 out for a spin and I was hooked. I started to realize what all the fuss was about.

Great Picture!

You're right, Kerry. Despite growing up with Porsches since I was 14 years old, I wasn't a fan. They were fun to drive once in a while but I never aspired to own one. This little 356 was slightly more appealing than the newer 911s because it felt like an old car, but I never wished to own it. I admit that we spent a lot of time wondering if we should just sell it because I wasn't in love with it when it was just sitting here in the shop, inert.

I feel differently now that I've spent a considerable amount of time behind the wheel (and under the hood). It's probably a combination of things: 1. it's insanely simple to fix, which is a pleasant change of pace. 2. it just works like it should and feels indestructible. And 3, it really is entertaining to drive and while it's not exactly fast, it certainly keeps up with traffic easily, removing at least one concern when driving an old car. Does that add up to loving it? Not sure. But I certainly appreciate and enjoy the car, and am grateful to have the opportunity to fully experience it rather than a 10-minute drive now and then, as in the past. It has won me over in ways I didn't expect.

Then there's the satisfaction of having significantly improved the car myself, which adds immeasurably to the experience. At the risk of sounding immodest, I doubt it has ever worked as well as it does now. I've put almost 500 miles on it in the last week simply because it's working correctly and I'm the guy who figured it out. That's very rewarding. Is it the same as loving the car? I can't tell.

But I sure do like it.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 3

The one Cord 810 - 812 I remember the best and would have wanted to own because of who owned it and who sorted it out was a great guy named Ed Madura of Ct. ( he was a very skilled mechanic - his profession was an engineer at Pratt & Whitney) His Cord was a black Beverly sedan and his other car was a series 11 Franklin roadster from 1926 that I did a drive report test on for Special Interest Autos magazine for Mike Lamm. Both cars eventually wound up in the collection of Gene and Joe Gazza here on long island . I do not know where those cars are now. Many decades since all of my experience with them has passed.

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 6

Yesterday, Saturday Sept 7, we decided to take the challenge of the Cullajaga River Gorge Rd again to Highlands, NC. woth passengers

in the back seat of the 35 Buick.   On the way up we spoke of the Tail of The Dragon's 318 turns in it's 11 miles, and I asked one of the

passengers to count the turn on the way back.   We visited the Boscom Museum's covered bridge, stopped to see the "Butt;s on the

Bench" car bunch and enjoyed a long lunch at the Blue Bike.

IMG_05931.JPG.2fbd4dad5d109631478b25571b838ec8.JPG

Then on the way back home, we counted 112 turn in the 11 miles back to  Franklin    that compared to the 318 turns on the "Tail of the Dragon"

in their 11 miles.    I was glad we had radial tires!

IMG_05911.JPG.8fbfc9b450b49eec265be37ffc765a65.JPGIf we ever have a National Tour here, this will be on the schedule as optional.   However I've done it many many times in various cars, 1913 to

1935 and a couple of times in a motorhome, towing a car (Which I'm now prohibited from doing again)

IMG_0585[1].JPG

• Like 11

Is that a public road?

I was in Iowa last fall and saw a lot of cars completely covered in dirt on the back. I could see side roads from the interstate with cars driving and dust just a flying. Caught me as odd being from the east coast. Even in my rural county all of our roads are paved, LOL.

• Like 2

After a two year sleep we woke up our 30 Model A today.  EZ - New hand me down battery from the Packard, and check fluids and tires.  Spin the engine twice and after a short shakedown run and some fresh gas we spent a great afternoon on some local back roads and a couple of quick stops...

FB_IMG_1726432076536.jpg

20240915_142023.jpg

• Like 14

Got the 1911 Model T out from my Dads a couple of weeks ago, he has not driven it in a couple of years as it is getting to hard for him to drive. Put approx. 80 miles on it over a few weeks and went to a few car shows and cruise nights. Dad bought this car in 1973 and is the first of his old cars that I learned to drive when I was 16. I took this car to my high school graduation, and toured with it after joining our local chapter of The MTFCI. This is also the car and the reason that my first T is a 1920 Roadster, an all black car because I got tired of polishing brass all the time😁.

11T by corn field.jpg

11T with windmills.jpg

• Like 14