1957 Plymouth Plaza - Not Mine

For Sale: 1957 Plymouth Plaza 4 door sedan  - Florida  -  $7,500  -  Phone:  786-712-4301

https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/d/hialeah-1957-plymouth-plaza/7096908528.html     There are a total of 24 pictures on the Craigslist ad.

Seller's Description: 

For sale 1957 Plymouth six cylinder manual, runs and drive, exterior 90% little rust, interior 95% original. 4 tires new good year 7.50/14 the cars sound good it’s excellent condition. Estoy vendiendo un 57/ Plymouth seis cilindros manual completamente original tiene 4 gomas nuevas el carro camina perfecto. OPEN TRADE. Thanks

image.png.dae79e1baa47f0c2b7a5df384d77e12b.png

image.png.0b5de607a94cc6e854a2fae1a4357034.png

image.png.408033c09af3b9e10414ff9ce4e3be12.png

image.png.55aa18e2d9d2d65558f9530ebe08adb9.png

image.png.5fbf826e79e12c9547911d474cc2058d.png

image.png.7f64c2cb4bf235dd80cebd648556fb2c.png

image.png.8827a93b5fd4297657be9d17917d3c5c.png

image.png.1c93903ba8e9d2b67df7b11df87c652b.png

image.png.fd6bb5a88655dd46d0b3aaaa1aa35029.png

image.png.a7d8e6aefd6ca327d4ea233d6e1f6d7e.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
add additional info (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Plaza was the entry level Plymouth for 1957. Savoy was the intermediate, and Belvedere was top of the full-model line - Fury was offered only as a 2-door no-post hardtop in 1957.

The next year was "BADGE-ENGINEERING TIME"-

Each model moved up one name,

so Savoy was entry, Belvedere was middle, and Fury was upper level, with the Sport Fury being offered only as a 2-door no-post hardtop .

The flathead six soldiered on through the 1959 model year behind some really good V-8 engines and Power-Flyte 2-speed, and Torque-Flyte 3-speed automatic transmissions.

Our 1957 Savoy with the 301 ci V-8 and Power-Flyte was a dynamite driver  when I finally got my license, but it was a 4-door sedan, and my '49 red Pontiac convertible was more fun.

Edited by Marty Roth
My '49, not '59 red Pontiac convertible (see edit history)
  • Like 5

My Dad bought a new '55 Plymouth wagon with a V-8 as our family car in 1955 when I was 7 years old.  Four years later, it threw a rod.  Dad was so distrustful of the V-8 that he went out and bought a '59 wagon with the flathead 6.  I always thought it was bizarre that such a "modern" car was powered by such an old-fashioned engine.  Standard 3-speed transmission, too.  My Dad was quite frugal when it came to automotive purchases! 😄

I remember a 57 Plaza down the street from our house as a kid in the 60's. Rusted out fender tops, rockers, and rear fenders as well as flapping doors. That was East coast Nova Scotia Canada where the salt was heavy and the tin was rotten!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TerryB said:

Rust was a big issue in 1957 for Chrysler and some less than stellar quality issues which was uncharacteristic for them.

Yes most of them headed to the crusher by the mid 60's due to rust, way out of date fins, and poor build quality. The floors and trunk were always rotted from poor protective paint, lots of gaps in the window and trunk seals.

So for me it's nice to see this Plain Jane survivor.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Ed Luddy said:

Yes most of them headed to the crusher by the mid 60's due to rust, way out of date fins, and poor build quality. The floors and trunk were always rotted from poor protective paint, lots of gaps in the window and trunk seals.

So for me it's nice to see this Plain Jane survivor.

That's what attracted me to this Plymouth also -- not fully loaded with options, just a basic car, like so many of the cars that I saw growing up, basic transportation for middle class families with kids.  It's nice to see that the various owners of this car, over time, saw the value and preserved her.  Plus, she's got fins!  🙂

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
fix typo (see edit history)
  • Like 2

At $7500 and this level of condition, I'd say this Plymouth would pretty much be appropriate in the "bargains on the web" thread. Who cares that it only has a flathead six? I like that Chrysler Corp. was giving forward look Exner styling to low end and entry level buyers, too. My cursory internet search shows the '57 Plymouth six made 132 hp at 3600 rpm. I'm guessing that was good enough to cruise all day at 55 or maybe 60 down the highway, with a top speed of maybe 85. Maybe more with the right gearing.  Sometimes less is more.

• Like 3

So tempted I just had to contact the seller I did..  This color is just so different.  And I have a thing for mopar flat 6's.  The American work horse of a motor only outdone by an equal work horse called the slant six.  But I seem to be missing any image showing a parking brake?  I am guessing it was still on the rail of the 3 speed?

Edited by Brooklyn Beer (see edit history)

13 hours ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

So tempted I just had to contact the seller I did..  This color is just so different.  And I have a thing for mopar flat 6's.  The American work horse of a motor only outdone by an equal work horse called the slant six.  But I seem to be missing any image showing a parking brake?  I am guessing it was still on the rail of the 3 speed?

There is one picture that shows the parking brake handle(black) just below the chrome dash knob all the way on the left.

It blends in pretty good.

57_.jpg

• Like 1