Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

In 1939,the King,George VI,and the queen paid their first visit to Canada and the USA. They traveled through Canada by train,and one of the four royal tour cars were always waiting for their arrival. 

The Lincoln was sent ahead to London, Ontario and Middlesex Motors,the local Ford Lincoln dealer,was given the job of cleaning and preparing it for the royals. My great uncle was the service manager there and later received these photos and card from the Canadian Lincoln service head for his services.

The second photo shows the royal couple leaving the old Canadian National Railway station at London,Ont.

1939 Royal Tour Lincoln.jpg

1939 Royal tour.jpg

1939 Lincoln business card.jpg

• Like 4

12 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

Packard 1930

Axel Jöhncke's Packard with body 1930 by Karosseri AB Norrmalm, Sweden. Designed by a 18-year old schoolboy from Denmark, Jöhncke was the Danish General Consul in Stockholm. The young designer latter became an architect

Edited by Casper Friederich (see edit history)
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, J.H.Boland said:

In 1939,the King,George VI,and the queen paid their first visit to Canada and the USA. They traveled through Canada by train,and one of the four royal tour cars were always waiting for their arrival. 

The Lincoln was sent ahead to London, Ontario and Middlesex Motors,the local Ford Lincoln dealer,was given the job of cleaning and preparing it for the royals. My great uncle was the service manager there and later received these photos and card from the Canadian Lincoln service head for his services.

The second photo shows the royal couple leaving the old Canadian National Railway station at London,Ont.

1939 Royal Tour Lincoln.jpg

1939 Royal tour.jpg

1939 Lincoln business card.jpg

Fortunately, this Lincoln is a wonderfully preserved original car we had the pleasure to see a various Lincoln meets years ago. 

By the way, who were the dignitaries transported in the 1939 Dodge long wheelbase sedan following in the procession?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Casper Friederich said:

Axel Jöhncke's Packard with body 1930 by Karosseri AB Norrmalm, Sweden. Designed by a 18-year old schoolboy from Denmark, Jöhncke was the Danish General Consul in Stockholm. The young designer latter became an architect

When I think of Norrmalm,   the only car that ever comes to mind is this 540k.

COACHBUILD.com • View topic - Norrmalm Mercedes-Benz

• Like 1

On March 5, 1920, Dorothy (Mrs. Allen B.) Conrad and small son, Allen B., Jr., were prepared to take a spin in their new Stephens Six, purchased recently from the R.L. Stephens Motor Co. Mrs. Conrad, with fur stole, is seated behind the wheel of the roadster.

download (4).jpg

download (8).jpg

1912 Crossley ( British) torpedo-phaeton with Mr. & Mrs. Eric Crossley . Note the look on the chauffeur's face in the rear seat! 

Photo given to me by my friend the  author and historian Michael Sedgwick .  Note the car has front wheel brakes and a really elaborate striping .

CROSSLEYUK1912001.jpg

1 hour ago, Joe in Canada said:

Back in the day we referred to this type of seating arrangement as a make out car.

Back then motor ambulances were scarce in the Nordic countries, especially in the country side. Therefore very handy if the Doctor had a private automobile of this kind with reclining passenger seat that could transport urgent cases to the nearby hospital.

The Thulin A25 and it's sibling the German AGA were quite small cars for their day in a time when most buyers in Sweden opted for larger American cars. A car especially for the country Doctor was a selling point

Edited by Casper Friederich (see edit history)

30 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Fortunately, this Lincoln is a wonderfully preserved original car we had the pleasure to see a various Lincoln meets years ago. 

By the way, who were the dignitaries transported in the 1939 Dodge long wheelbase sedan following in the procession?

The attached picture was included in the package that my uncle received. It shows the royal couple and other members of their entourage disembarking from the royal yacht Britannia at Quebec City. I don't know who they are (perhaps some of our British members can help),but they were likely the occupants of the Dodge.

1939 Royals.jpg

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

1750115080_1921pose.thumb.JPG.28957a6bafc7963807adeab88693b632.JPG

I see enough photos like this that I have to wonder--did people actually drive around without tires? I understand that most roads were dirt and speeds were not very fast, but really?

Matt, there were just some things at certain periods of time that had no tires available for them or the people were not resourceful enough to figure out how to get them.   It probably sat in some corner and was pushed out in the daylight or lights tuned on overhead on occasion for photo ops and story telling.   My guess is pre-1955 there was a lot of hurt for certain sized tires (and a lot of great stuff was scrapped in WW-II for this reason matched to patriotism). 

A good example is Auburn and Cord - if you lived in a big city that had dealer support at one point, then you knew about access to the parts company and if you lived in the middle of nowhere then good luck to you. 

1 minute ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Thanks J.H. Boland

I would think a McLaughlin-Buick 90 Limited would have been the limousine of choice for the Royal visit. 

Actually,two of them were ! McLaughlin-Buick built two special open cars.Both survive.

1939 McLaughlin-Buick royal tour car..jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

PAGE 150 !!!

And all of this started on the whim that I thought there may be some friends and other folks who would like to see some pre-WWII era period photographs from the piles I have sitting here at home, and that others may have some to contribute. This will never end (!) it seems. I know we blew the budget (sorry!) that our host AACA has with their company that acts as a server for the quantity of photos posted.

All of us owe a great big thank you to AACA, the moderators, etc for giving us a place to view some 'Images of the era.'

WG

• Like 5