Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

Oh my, seeing this photo brings back a memory I have never forgotten.  At the edge of our small town there was a "junk yard" where old cars ended up at the end of their lives.  The "wrecking" procedure in those days was to burn out the cars before shipping the metal onward.  Literally the cars were set on fire so that the upholstery and rubber was burned out.  It was a great place to look for collectible stuff, before the cars were torched.  I found a 1934 Chevrolet four door sedan, black color, and the interior still looked like it was brand new.  In fact the car looked virtually brand new except that the front axle had been removed; cut out with a torch.  That normally meant that someone needed an axle to build a trailer.  To me the Chevy looked like something that could be dealt with, in view that the 98 percent of the car looked about brand new.  The rear wheels/tires were still on the car and look pretty good.  I hurried home to try to enlist my dad's help to salvage the '34 before it would be destroyed.  Dad and I came to the yard, dad looked at the missing front axle problem and shook his head no.  That is my memory of the '34 Chevy that got away.  There were lots of other cars in the yard waiting to be destroyed.  I remember several Chryslers and at least one Cadillac that were in really nice condition inside and out.  It is really a shame what happened to those cars.

1458436893_1940swreckingyard-Junkyard-scrapayard.jpg.ae9370a2a8ead14e5c7b327e9d63a11a[1].jpg

Figurally I am staying in the western parts of Scandinavia. Many of the big Swedish junkyards were near the Norwegian border, in the latter country import restrictions om western cars after WWII. I think the photos from 1961 therefore are taken in the province of Värmland. 

Tatraplan in the lower left corner, also some American iron.

Skrot II (3).JPG

Isn't there an early postwar Studebaker among Standard Vanguards and other British stuff?

Skrot (3).JPG

Edited by Casper Friederich (see edit history)

9 hours ago, LCK81403 said:

Oh my, seeing this photo brings back a memory I have never forgotten.  At the edge of our small town there was a "junk yard" where old cars ended up at the end of their lives.  The "wrecking" procedure in those days was to burn out the cars before shipping the metal onward.  Literally the cars were set on fire so that the upholstery and rubber was burned out.  It was a great place to look for collectible stuff, before the cars were torched

At one of the first AACA annual meetings I attended back in the early 1970s held at the Belveue Stratford Hotel in Philadelphia, someone brought 16mm movies of a wrecking yard in NJ that were made pre WWII and showed a ca. 1928/1929  Packard sedan being driven into the wrecking yard, a rolled up newspaper being lit afire and tossed into the front drivers seat of the sedan to do exactly what is stated here. It lasted long enough for you to see the interior of the car go up in flames as well as the wood structural portion of the body. Easy way to reduce it to just the scrap metal to be salvaged as mentioned. I recall the gasp from the AACA members watching this on the screen and many shaking their heads in sorry. The film was made just before WWII so a decade old used car was not worth  much.

WG

On 5/28/2020 at 6:44 PM, Joe in Canada said:

Here is the 1928 McLaughlin Buick used in the 1927 Royal  tour that a member of our car club had and drove until the Ottawa museum bought the car. I remember the car was upholstered in alligator hides. Can not find an good original picture of the car.

15f3484eb6632cd48604d44a529324ea.jpg

That same car was also part of a McLaughlin-Buick display at the Reynolds Alberta Museum in 2017/18.

Craig

29_McLauglin-Buick_1.jpg

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, TG57Roadmaster said:

No, I was around when the car was being judged and it seemed like it was fresh. I can find out.

I'm happy I'm  not losing my mind:

"After the car was sold in 1955, it was owned by collectors in Europe, the United States, Canada and Japan. The last owner, from 2001-2016, was John “Jack” Rich; the car was part of his JWR Collection housed just outside Philadelphia. With his passing, the collection was divided among his children; the 540K would be sold. Documentation and provenance: two more criteria met."

https://www.mbca.org/node/7400397

• Like 1

This car has been identified in "What is it" by C.Paulsen as a 1910 Overland. My neighbour's grandfather was the chauffeur  Taken in London, Ontario.

1910 Overland.jpg

15 hours ago, edinmass said:

This trailer is the only surviving footage of the world's oldest movie adaptation of F. Scott Fitzgerald's famous novel, The Great Gatsby. This lost silent film set in the Roaring Twenties was first a stage play on Broadway at the Ambassador Theatre in New York City. The film was directed by Herbert Brenon, produced by Adolph Zukor and Jesse L. Lasky at Famous Players-Lasky, and released by Paramount Pictures. Fitzgerald received $45,000 for the rights to his 1925 classic. It starred:

Warner Baxter - Jay Gatsby
Lois Wilson - Daisy Buchanan
Neil Hamilton - Nick Carraway
Georgia Hale - Myrtle Wilson
William Powell - George Wilson
Hale Hamilton - Tom Buchanan
George Nash - Charles Wolf
Carmelita Geraghty - Jordan Baker
Eric Blore - Lord Digby
Gunboat Smith - Bert
Claire Whitney - Catherine
Nancy Kelly - child

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here we go again - found another pile of period photographs that were supposed to be filed away when I relocated my study/library area about 25 years ago and didn't get around to it. then forgot about it , oh well. To many ( over 150) to post here but will select a few.

1)1931 Lincoln coupe by Judkins ( ?) in the snow in Boston

2) Brewster on a tour in 1951, car is from Ohio and whom ever owned it was a member of AACA , HCCA, and VMCCA.

3) 1937 Terraplane and Hudson - note that the dealer had a space to sell cars in the middle of the block - rather odd. Dealer also sold Indian motorcycles . I have no idea of location, can't read the license plate.

BrewsterinOhio1951001.jpg

Terraplane1937 001.jpg

LINCOLNcoupe1931Boston001.jpg

• Like 4

The store front car dealership was common back then.  They were very small town operations, typically had the repair garage off the back alley at the back of the building.  Some didn't even display the cars in a showroom, just parked them at the curb out front.  If they had a showroom, it was accessed by a narrow ramp from the back through a set of fold-back double doors.  And the owner lived upstairs.

Hudson & Terraplane dealership 1937 middle of the block.jpg

Edited by 58L-Y8 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Carol Lombard in a 1931 Cadillac 355 V-8 cabriolet with the earlier "squarish" style metal sidemount spare tire covers 

Cars of Stars and Personalities [Part 2]

Flickriver: Most interesting photos from CaroІe Lombard pool

American actress Carole Lombard leans on a car, circa 1935. News ...

Clark Gable with a 1931 Cadillac 355 V-8  cabriolet, though with the more modern "rounded" style metal sidemount spare tire covers

Classic Movie Stars and Their Cars - Celebrities and Their Cadillacs

Pin on Vintage Glam 20s to 40s

Adding some color

1935 Clark Gable Cadillac Colorized | George Murphey | Flickr

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 1