Period images to relieve some of the stress

Posted (edited)

Royals, always have a large entourage, an equerry ( personal attendant) one for each  could be two and lesser royals and still on the boat, ladiesmaid , manservant , Butler etc. Love it she had style  😀

Edited by Pilgrim65
Spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 2
Posted (edited)

With this being (locally) our hotest day of the year to date I thought a reflection on a much cooler time of year might be appropriate.

Patty Allison, Imbued with Hues created this for me a few years ago. Circa 1908-1913 Maine, Township 9-14.

HA-04A.thumb.jpg.6f5ed6de6d61f05d2be41b0e52493c70.jpg

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)
  • Like 3
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

1750115080_1921pose.thumb.JPG.28957a6bafc7963807adeab88693b632.JPG

I see enough photos like this that I have to wonder--did people actually drive around without tires? I understand that most roads were dirt and speeds were not very fast, but really?

I don't think it's a bare rim. Enlarging the photo it seems to be thin solid bands of rubber. But who knows...

Edited by Steelbreeze
Grammar (see edit history)
  • Like 1
Posted (edited)
On 5/17/2020 at 9:43 PM, Walt G said:

😀 😁😁

I don't know what the small light weight touring car is, but think it is European even though the photo was taken in New York by the Apedia studios.

UNKNOWNapediaphoto001.jpg

The lower photo shows a 1913-14 8 Valve Bugatti Type 22. The body style was called Yank[ee] by Durr of Colmar, inspired probably by the Hupmobile Model 32. First time ever seeing one equipped with a top, checked therefore Bugatti Trust's photo archive. I believe it's the same car as wearing British licence number LK 6619, issued in London. Chassis number unknown.

Edited by Casper Friederich (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1
Posted (edited)

Here is the 1928 McLaughlin Buick used in the 1927 Royal  tour that a member of our car club had and drove until the Ottawa museum bought the car. I remember the car was upholstered in alligator hides. Can not find an good original picture of the car.

15f3484eb6632cd48604d44a529324ea.jpg

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)
Posted (edited)

Mainly US made cars touring in Norway 1924. This photo reminds me when I begann our equilavent to junior highschool, the Swedish Teknikens Värld was subscribed by their school library! Remember the ad for a 1916-17 Mercer Touring project car, but can't remember anymore if the seller was Swedish or Norwegian. Today there's a very fine restored 22/72 Touring from 1916 in the latter country, so I think that the car from the 1982 ad is now in Norway.

Norge (3).JPG

On 5/28/2020 at 10:27 AM, alsancle said:

When I think of Norrmalm,   the only car that ever comes to mind is this 540k.

COACHBUILD.com • View topic - Norrmalm Mercedes-Benz

This '38 540K Cabriolet by Norrmalm won the Best of Show and another top award at Hilton Head in 2019. Quite massive with unusual proportions...

1608208609_DSC_3924CXT38M-B540KCabrioNorrmalm.thumb.jpg.caeab3d8a22f240ad410c5b89c16d729.jpg

TG

Posted (edited)
On 5/28/2020 at 5:27 PM, alsancle said:

When I think of Norrmalm,   the only car that ever comes to mind is this 540k.

COACHBUILD.com • View topic - Norrmalm Mercedes-Benz

In fact, a "much seen" early 30s Norrmalm's convertible is on the cover of Björn-Eric Lindh's Volvo history, depending of course on the edition. That 1933 Volvo PV 655 is the only Normalm's bodied car left in Sweden.

3 hours ago, TG57Roadmaster said:

This '38 540K Cabriolet by Norrmalm won the Best of Show and another top award at Hilton Head in 2019. Quite massive with unusual proportions...

1608208609_DSC_3924CXT38M-B540KCabrioNorrmalm.thumb.jpg.caeab3d8a22f240ad410c5b89c16d729.jpg

TG

I think the car is now owned by the Rich Collection and they spent a lot of money on a very nice restoration.    Back at BJ in 2001 they had it in the showroom with a VERY reasonable price.   Back then it was an older restoration - still black.   It was pretty cheap for a 540,  but the proportions didn't seem as nice as the standard Sindelfingen models.   I think it was a missed opportunity all things considered.

Here are a few from my home town of a couple of large hotels.  The first, the Sagamore is long gone,  the second is still in operation, largely unchanged. 

The first little gas station was on rte 9 coming out of Lake George, it's gone but I believe the garage may still be there, but repurposed for a marina.

The second gas station was taken downtown Glens Falls NY I believe.  The gas station is still a gas station but the entire thing has been torn down and rebuilt into a more modern convenience store. 

The last photos is of my Dad as a Kid sitting on the hood of his uncle George's IH.  That's Uncle George beside him. 

IMG_6388.JPG

IMG_6389.JPG

IMG_6390.JPG

IMG_6391.JPG

IMG_6392.JPG

IMG_6393.JPG

IMG_6394.JPG

IMG_6395.JPG

• Like 1
On 5/29/2020 at 4:58 AM, John_Mereness said:

Week in History 17-23 July – The “Monty tour” arrives in ...

British General Montgomery did a tour of New Zealand in 1946. I have seen other similar photos to this one so this may have been taken in that tour.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, alsancle said:

I think the car is now owned by the Rich Collection and they spent a lot of money on a very nice restoration.    Back at BJ in 2001 they had it in the showroom with a VERY reasonable price.   Back then it was an older restoration - still black.   It was pretty cheap for a 540,  but the proportions didn't seem as nice as the standard Sindelfingen models.   I think it was a missed opportunity all things considered.

Attractive and interesting car in many ways, but yet misses the mark as still pretty bulky in certain spots and also very WIDE.

45 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

Attractive and interesting car in many ways, but yet misses the mark as still pretty bulky in certain spots and also very WIDE.

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

The Norrmalm 540K was shown by Mr. and Mrs. Robert S. Jepson, Jr. of Savannah, GA. 

1 hour ago, TG57Roadmaster said:

The Norrmalm 540K was shown by Mr. and Mrs. Robert S. Jepson, Jr. of Savannah, GA. 

Do you know who did the restoration?  Not sure why I have Rich in my head.

1 hour ago, John_Mereness said:

Image may contain: 1 person

That’s a far throw from the actual car  used in the first movie shot in 1948 with Alan Ladd.

1 minute ago, edinmass said:

That’s a far throw from the actual car  used in the first movie shot in 1948 with Alan Ladd.

Being as Warner Baxter is in it and I associate him with early 1930s movies like 42nd street, I think this is before Alan Ladd’s time.

Looking it up, it seems that is a poster for a 1926 movie version. Must have been pretty current stuff back then, only one year after the book was published.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, ply33 said:

Being as Warner Baxter is in it and I associate him with early 1930s movies like 42nd street, I think this is before Alan Ladd’s time.

Looking it up, it seems that is a poster for a 1926 movie version. Must have been pretty current stuff back then, only one year after the book was published.

I knew that they made a silent movie of the book very early, but have never seen any artwork related to it. I own some of the original artwork from the Ladd movie.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Steve Moskowitz changed the title to Period Images to Relieve some of the Stresshttps://forums.aaca.org/topic/341211-period-images-to-relieve-some-of-the-stress/
  • gwells changed the title to Period images to relieve some of the stress