Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

On 12/26/2021 at 1:31 PM, 30DodgePanel said:

32c9f4405e0f16079c9ad1ea1e0d1667.jpg

Although this is obviously a staged promotion image for the 1918-1919 Packard Twin-Six Landaulet, it illustrates a genteel social custom of the era, namely "taking the air".   Since the horse-drawn carriage days, the upper social classes would dress in their finery, be chauffeured in their elegant carriages through the parks and parkways enjoying the pleasant weather.  Of course, it was on view both to their own class and to the envy of those who weren't.   When one could afford a $6,000 motorcar then, one wanted others to recognize that.

• Like 3

Its easy to forget how long the horse held out as a mode of transportation. This image was exposed some time between 1925 & 1933. The family shown lived and worked at the Madawaska Company's Churchill Lake Depot camp in north western Maine. The only connection to the outside world was a crude road (Lacroix road) that ran 50 miles from Churchill to Lac Frontiere, Quebec. One family moved to Churchill in 1926 and stayed until 1946. After the logging operations shut down in 1936 and he village at Churchill was all but abandoned, the road to Lac Frontier was not maintained or plowed. Nevertheless they would "go out" twice a year to get supplies. Once to get supplies for the family the other to get supplies for the small collection of farm animals they relied on.

574091408_10.enroutetochurchilldepot.jpg.30cbba7fb9f66328e56936e0778f9080.jpg

• Like 3

On 12/28/2021 at 10:50 AM, Terry Harper said:

Its easy to forget how long the horse held out as a mode of transportation. This image was exposed some time between 1925 & 1933. The family shown lived and worked at the Madawaska Company's Churchill Lake Depot camp in north western Maine. The only connection to the outside world was a crude road (Lacroix road) that ran 50 miles from Churchill to Lac Frontiere, Quebec. One family moved to Churchill in 1926 and stayed until 1946. After the logging operations shut down in 1936 and he village at Churchill was all but abandoned, the road to Lac Frontier was not maintained or plowed. Nevertheless they would "go out" twice a year to get supplies. Once to get supplies for the family the other to get supplies for the small collection of farm animals they relied on.

574091408_10.enroutetochurchilldepot.jpg.30cbba7fb9f66328e56936e0778f9080.jpg

I live on the property that my great grandfather bought as bare land in 1915, He was about 50 at the time. He died in 1931 and never owned car. My grandfather bought his first car - a 1917 Studebaker 6 -  in the late 1920s. That was replaced sometime in the 1930s by a 1924 Studebaker Big Six. The first tractor  - a little John Deere LA (which I have no photos of) - was purchased just after WW2, and that was replaced with a Ferguson TEA in 1956.

The first photo is my grandfather as a young man in the 'family car' with his parents about 1918. 

HAD WW1 - Copy (19).JPG

There were two horses to do what ever was needed. I have no photos of them ploughing but I still have the Oliver orchard plough that was used. In this photo the guy driving the dray was a neighbour who worked for my great grandparents. The little girl is my aunt who was born in 1924. The boys is my uncle who passed way in March aged 100 years and 13 days. My father came along later.

old pics 5 (1024x726).jpg

Coincidentally this is the cottage that was built for my grandparents in 1919 when my grandfather came home from WW1, although he arrived to late to see action, although did get to Britain in time for the big flu epidemic and was lucky to survive it. As I write this I am sitting in what is the porch in the photo - now enclosed - though the cottage has been almost doubled in size.

old pics 3a - Copy (7) resize.JPG

This is the family 1917 Studebaker. The young man sitting on the hood is my uncle - the same little boy as in the photo with the horse and dray. Photo date uncertain but I think about 1936.

old pics 5 (3).JPG

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

I can't recall if I posted these before so forgive me if I have.

Also under the agricultural theme but still transportation (albeit very basic): Willie Gardner demonstrating his river driving skills on the Allagash River in Maine. (circa 1926) Whats remarkable about this image is that it was taken in the early spring very shortly after "ice out" In other words the water is just barely above freezing.

1410596168_025-Copy.jpg.2589b00356d1292d3368644dbce3ade5.jpg

And... to segway back to automobile related images - Richard Lennan taking a break on the Allagash Road near Cross Rock rapids on the St. John River - circa 1926

image.png.697ee3e214bad65751d69aacd2c77e38.png

Another image of Mr. Lennen (right) The gentleman on the left is the chief fire warden - Grover Bradford. Lizzy looks like she is ready for a grand adventure.

image.png.b12e05e47f7dc03e0fb9c6c02d7ff133.png

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I had another thought about that last photo in my earlier post. I think the guy on the hood of the car might actually be my grandfather - I am not sure who the kids are - and it may have been taken on the same trip as this one which has a date of 1927 on it. It is one of those photos I should have asked my uncle about a few eyars ago before he got ill and died. Until he had a stroke at 99 his mind was still sharp, and he still had much of our family history, and a lot of local area history,  at his fingertips.

17 Stude at Waipapa Bay c 27 (1024x711).jpg

• Like 3

Happy New Year!  Carvana's auto dispensers were beaten to the punch by the "Nash Tower of Value" at the Chicago century of Progress exhibition in '33!  This brochure was put out by Whiting, the company that made the rotating lift mechanism.  Second page shows an aerial view of the whole exhibition, with a circle showing the tower location.  King Kong was released the same year, maybe the fighter planes above the sky are just a precaution !    and, in case this all seems too retouched and partially credible, here's a link to a real photo of the Nash Tower. https://theamcforum.com/forum/nash-tower-of-value_topic75140.html

1933NashTowerOfValue.jpg

1933CenturyofProgress.jpg

Here's a '38 Packard Super 8 with long wheelbase by The Standard Carriage Works of Los Angeles, CA.  The hood louvers are the tipoff that it isn't a Twelve, and I am troubled by the lack of sidemount tread covers !  Somebody got sloppy here!

1938PackardStdCarriageWorks.jpg

• Like 3

On 12/25/2021 at 12:37 PM, Walt G said:

Is the photo of the street scene in NY City? the license plates are a light color with dark letters/numbers which may be what NY state had at the time   Just look at those magnificent street lights , wow, would I like to have one of those next to my garage and functional!

Hi Walt, Here's an original NYC street light @1910-20 in front of my house and garage. The close-up shows a wreath of hummingbirds around the pole (beautiful casting work). Just thought you'd like to know that you're not the only one with good taste! LOL

Bob. 

Can't load pics for some reason. I'll try again later.

Edited by Bob Barrett
No pictures. (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Bob Barrett said:

Hi Walt, Here's an original NYC street light @1910-20 in front of my house and garage. The close-up shows a wreath of hummingbirds around the pole (beautiful casting work). Just thought you'd like to know that you're not the only one with good taste! LOL

Bob. 

Good Taste! wow first time I heard that in about 30 years, thanks Bob ! but it is more like some of us here just appreciate the ability 80+ years ago to produce something that was just uniquely beautiful and we also revel in the fine craftsmanship - be it design, castings, signs using porcelain facades, even detailed wood work. None of that having to be done at the time to be useful, just beautiful and NONE of it done by computer generation. All of it was drawn on paper, using rules , templates, and a slide rule for faster calculations.

I recall vividly 60+ years ago the Chief Engineer at the Franklin company ( Carl Doman) using his slide rule he carried around in his jacket pocket to sort a mathematical calculation out for someone when asked what he thought at one of the Franklin car club treks in Syracuse . It was the way things were done, a bit slower then current processes but a wonder to behold.

Walt

• Like 3

Yes, the rope tire was tried and written about back in the day.  I remember reading about it in several old Automotive Journal articles.  I can't give a reference to the articles now because I didn't database and keep track of it.  In addition to rope tires, rope drive was also a technical question that surfaced in a Automotive Journal article.  I seem to remember that Hugh Dolnar wrote a reply to a person's question about rope drive being another drive component, in addition to chain drive and shaft drive types.

1899 Autocar.jpg

15 hours ago, LCK81403 said:

Yes, the rope tire was tried and written about back in the day.  I remember reading about it in several old Automotive Journal articles.  I can't give a reference to the articles now because I didn't database and keep track of it.  In addition to rope tires, rope drive was also a technical question that surfaced in a Automotive Journal article.  I seem to remember that Hugh Dolnar wrote a reply to a person's question about rope drive being another drive component, in addition to chain drive and shaft drive types.

1902 & 1908 Holsmans with rope final drive.

11mj010.jpg

08_Holsman_1.jpg

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Coal burning Mercedes-Benz example.  My 98-year-old WW Two veteran buddy saw passenger buses in Japan rigged like that and he said they could only drive real slow.  Does anyone know the model and year of this Mercedes?  A number of cars in France at the end of the war were rigged like this.

Mercedes-Benz gasified.jpg

14 minutes ago, LCK81403 said:

Coal burning Mercedes-Benz example.  My 98-year-old WW Two veteran buddy saw passenger buses in Japan rigged like that and he said they could only drive real slow.  Does anyone know the model and year of this Mercedes?  A number of cars in France at the end of the war were rigged like this.

Mercedes-Benz gasified.jpg

It is a 1936 260D Diesel.

• Thanks 1

Happy January 5th 2022. We are all still here so here is an image from a huge format 1929 French periodical - L'Illustration, their annual L'Automobile et le tourisme issue.

The French Lincoln sales agent was very active and in 1931 and 1932 had sales literature produced in French by a French printer, spiral bound thick cover sales catalogs. Not inexpensive to do and I am sure was not handed out freely to every passing bumpkin who pressed his nose on the showroom window. There is just a wealth of material on American based automobiles that were in advertisements, stories, sales literature and auto show/salon programs over and above all the odd/obscure material that was done here in the USA as well. Yes, I love odd and obscure - can't you tell? 😉 Again, Happy New Year to all, stay healthy - hey , just think Hershey is only 7 months away !!!!

LINCOLN1929imagefrench.jpg

• Like 4

And now for something completely different. Apparently nearly a thousand of these LGOC B type London buses were commandeered for use in France during WW1, most as troop transports but some served in other roles. This one is a carrier pigeon loft. It looks to have been in the same spot for some time going by the grass trodden down around it.

SAG LGOC B type.jpg

For reference this is a shot from the cover of a scale model - 

SAG for ref LGOC B type.jpg

The car in the background is a Sunbeam 16-20 a model used in some numbers as a staff car.

SAG LGOC B type (2).jpg

• Like 2

I believe this photo dates to WW1 when gas (petrol) was not readily available in Norway, and they improvised with alternatives.  The bag held what must be similar to our LP gas.  In the states, during WW2, I understand some vehicles and tractors were set up to start on gasoline, then switch to kerosene which was more available when gas rationing was in effect.  Ingenuity and necessity leading to viable alternatives, gotta love it.

• Like 1

A question yet remains: what is this vehicle that looks like a wheeled dirigible?  The hood / bonnet over the engine perhaps resembles French Renault?  It certainly does not look like an American Gasmobile or Gas-Au-Lec.

Gas.jpg.7cc37c0dd76f3767c5f87143324c9e80.jpg

01 Gasmobile ad 002.jpg

05 Gas-Au-Lec Clymer Scrapbook Nr 2 p49 ad 03.JPG