Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

2 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I like that Four Door, it had all the nifty odd 1920's features or classy mid size car. Bob 

It’s a 1922 Cole 8 Coupe with body by Willoughby.  Featured a 80 HP V8 on a 127” wheelbase.  Price was about $4500

A history of the Willoughby Company will appear before years end. I have some of the factory photo albums that are signed by Francis Willoughby . They also built commercial bodies for local businesses in addition to bodies for motor cars.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

He has a lot to smile about, sitting pretty on the hood of an Oakland

Any idea what year and series the Oakland might be?

Looks like a 1917 by the position of the headlight bar. No idea what model.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Pilgrim65 said:

Being a nosy Brit , what was the connection to the British 

cheers

Nosy Brit, (pun intended :)) look as plymouthcranbrook  has answered your nozyness :)

I have lived in Brookfield almost my whole life and never knew the history behind the British home.

Thanks plymouthcranbrook  for finding them sites and posting them. Very interesting read.

Cheers to you too 🍻

Edited by Packin31 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, dustycrusty said:

There once was a man from Boston, 

Who bought himself a baby Austin....

happy moore.jpg

Lucky they were tough little cars, looks like this had its work cut out .

if I’m stuck inside for many more weeks  having coffees, cakes and biscuit breaks to relieve the boredom I’ll be his double  😀

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

As mentioned many images ago , great stuff love em 

just reviewed  from where I finished last time , history , architecture,  an amazing and diverse collection of cars , the people and costumes, some great photography and interesting and amusing scenes , certainly relieves my boredom and stress , once again well done posters particularly Walt and John. Appreciate your mammoth efforts 

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Packin31 said:

Nosy Brit, (pun intended :)) look as plymouthcranbrook  has answered your nozyness :)

I have lived in Brookfield almost my whole life and never knew the history behind the British home.

Thanks plymouthcranbrook  for finding them sites and posting them. Very interesting read.

Cheers to you too 🍻

You are welcome.  I live about thirty miles from it and when I used to drive a truck in that area I often saw the sign on 31st st.  Never really knew what it was and the pic and question reminded me.  I learned something as well.

Pilgrim65 and everyone else

When I started this it was to give all of us a chance to view not only the cars but the structures in the back grounds, style of clothing, conditions of roads - all of it. It gives all of us who go along with the posting of the period images ( and not modern photos !!!)  an opportunity and window into the past like nothing else. If descriptions and information can be added, so much the better. The best thanks you can express is if it is possible for you to contribute an image or some information ( like was just done about the Brookfield building) . The fact that any of these images survive is amazing - most are 80+ years old or older. They let us all see authentic details for the vehicles so not only can that be appreciated but used as well possibly to do an accurate restoration of an existing vehicle.

Thanks to my good friends John, Al, and so many others that I hope to meet in person at some point when we can shake hands and convey a friendship . If I may dedicate this thread to someone , it would be to my dear late good friend Henry Austin Clark Jr. . He saved more period photos, negatives , images then anyone I can think of. This included the 47 four drawer steel filing cases of glass plate negatives ( most were 8 x 10 inches) that were the archives of the Mack truck company. They were rescued by Austin in about 1953 when Mack was moving from its original home in Brooklyn, NY to Allentown, Pa. Mack was going to trash it all but Austin paid to get a truck to load them into and then  to bring to his home in Glen Cove, NY and put them in the basement - Took many trips and no glass negatives were broken! All hand labor to get those filing cases up into and down from the truck, then into the basement of his house - down a narrow staircase!  SO those of us that still seek and want to preserve - and share these images are still here. Austin was the one that set the example for me and also encouraged me to collect what I have ( with the help from many others here and in Europe) . I am so very pleased to see so many people enjoying this and coming back to see what is new. Keep well all , sincere best wishes for good health , a safe life, and hopefully some great discoveries of old cars in the future.

Walt

PS OK , I know I got more than a bit sappy with all that , plus "lectured" to much, but hey I taught for 40 years and I think all of you may understand, and thank you for putting up with this Sentimentalist from long island.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

CarYou don't see many 1931 Chrysler Roadsters in the wild, especially a very early one. I'm currently rebuliding a CD8 Roadster (124"WB), this looks similar, but might also be a 1931 CM6 (116"WB)? Anybody able to tell? Is rear taillight a clue? For those not familiar with these cars, note the radiator shell was body color. Chrysler did that to make car/hood appear longer, but only for first few months of production as customers clamored for a chrome radiator shell like all other makes! I have never seen a restored car with a painted rad shell.

Brochure details.jpeg

• Like 2

Walt's key tie to Franklin automobiles - 1931 Franklin 153 by Derham 

1930-Franklin.thumb.jpg.f83e001fb5a94de38c47830c696204c0.jpg

Walt, thank you for starting this page - it has been fun and while I have not posted many of my personal period photos, I have had fun finding the unusual out there in the digital world !

Sidenote:  When we first started collecting cars everyone sent me to see the best restored ones - Today, I seek out the best unrestored ones and try my best to replicate.

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here is another two Images from The Henry Ford

German physician Joseph Fuchs ordered this Bugatti Royale with a body by Ludwig Weinberger of Munich. As finished in 1932, the car was black with yellow trim. Fuchs relocated to the United States where winter cold cracked the engine block. General Motors executive Charles Chayne acquired and restored the Bugatti, altering the colors to oyster white with dark green trim.

1074283579_download(7).thumb.png.bfcc8892c69e22109c1adbd4e0a771f1.png
624325135_download(8).thumb.png.ee69bf17be29f889637b1c63fb0afb55.png
167585439_download(9).thumb.png.06de38690153fe84fba7c57aa752344b.png

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

That Bugatti Royal looks so much better in the original color IMO. So many high end cars can have their appeal drastically changed depending on the color and interior that gets picked. Another great thread could be started with color photos of restored and RE restored cars in different colors. Bob 

1 hour ago, John_Mereness said:

Here is another two Images from The Henry Ford

German physician Joseph Fuchs ordered this Bugatti Royale with a body by Ludwig Weinberger of Munich. As finished in 1932, the car was black with yellow trim. Fuchs relocated to the United States where winter cold cracked the engine block. General Motors executive Charles Chayne acquired and restored the Bugatti, altering the colors to oyster white with dark green trim

The greatest car of the Classic era.  Fully restored to its original colors I believe it would be the most valuable too.  Maybe in the crappy cream it is anyways.

From The Henry Ford:

When the President travels abroad, United States Secret Service agents ensure that state cars arrive ahead of him. This military transport ship carried the "Sunshine Special" limousine overseas for one of President Harry S. Truman's international visits in 1947. Around 1960, the Secret Service began using transport aircraft to carry presidential vehicles.

1901517414_download(29).thumb.png.29925054972d522a4e766a61c6bb8831.png