Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

Bob, it’s a Fleetwood body, they built seven of them over the 1929-1932 years......all working test cars......not very attractive, but test platforms ordered by Sloan and the Fisher brothers. Similar to the “Madame X” V-8 sedan we were having a talk about a few months ago.

• Like 1

Seeing the picture of Walter Chrysler reminded me of a photo I have in my files of Col.Sam McLaughlin. He drove this rig to his office at GM Oshawa during the gas rationing days of WW2. It's a McLaughlin buggy, of course !

Sam McLaughlin and horse and buggy WW2.jpg

The McLaughlin-Buick company built and donated a fleet of ambulances to the Red Cross in WW1. They were apparently used by the Red Cross for fund raising drives and also on Canadian military bases.The young man leaning against the cowl, Arthur Morphee, worked as a hired hand on my grandfather's dairy farm prewar. By the end of WW2 ,he had worked his way up to an Air Vice-Marshall,working as a coastal intelligence liaison officer with the US.

A.Morfee (L) & McLaughlin-Buick.jpg

2 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

1589640188_download(8).thumb.png.869dd29ec0d3067389a8108fe0e6d90e.png

By coincidence a similar car in a similar pose, but with people, taken in the Tauranga area of New Zealand in the 1950s, turned up on a local facebook page last week.  GMNZ only import four of these big 90s in 1936 and I think at least two have survived.

50s 1936 90 Tauranga Neville Smith photo fb 0320.jpg

• Like 1

General Motors New Zealand imported three 1937 Buick Roadmasters, two Model 81 sedans and a single Model 80C convertible phaeton. The phaeton was supplied to Blackwell Motors here in Christchurch who are still in business.  This 1950s photo scanned from a book of local old photos from the Northland area is the only evidence I have seen of one here in NZ. I can only assume it is the same car. 

37 80C  Northland.jpg

• Like 1

Brass -- do you know this car?  It looks like a nine passenger model.  I think I see the top of the back of a jump seat peaking over the edge of the rear door.  What is the model designation?

29 Packard.jpg

Thanks to most all of you who are posting PERIOD IMAGES not ones taken now or as I mentioned already within the past 20 or 30 years. This was supposed top be "PERIOD Images  to relieve some of the stress" but that message seems to have drifted away with some people.  My sincere appreciation to all of you who have tried to stay within the topic, but for me it has now drifted to far afield due to some peoples efforts to want to expand it and have it their way. it was good while it lasted.

WG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1