Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

The workman standing beside the car is wearing a particular type of visor cap that reminds of laborers in southern France and northern Italy.  The style of the cap is similar to the "Greek fisherman's" cap, except the visor is too long.  It appears that the workman and another person in the background are involved in road work.  There is a peculiar, tall metal bucket sitting on top of the apparent road surfacing material at the right side of the road.  A bucket like that is generally is carried two or four on a donkey's A-frame.  Such a bucket could be used to transport nuts and that could possibly mean the large trees are part of a walnut grove.  The location could be France or northern Italy.

FORD A.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LCK81403 said:

The workman standing beside the car is wearing a particular type of visor cap that reminds of laborers in southern France and northern Italy.  The style of the cap is similar to the "Greek fisherman's" cap, except the visor is too long.  It appears that the workman and another person in the background are involved in road work.  There is a peculiar, tall metal bucket sitting on top of the apparent road surfacing material at the right side of the road.  A bucket like that is generally is carried two or four on a donkey's A-frame.  Such a bucket could be used to transport nuts and that could possibly mean the large trees are part of a walnut grove.  The location could be France or northern Italy.

FORD A.jpg

I think the BI registration plate suggests the Ford was registered in the Alpes-Maritimes department of France, near the border with Italy, which is consistent with what you says about the workman's cap.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Walt G said:

For all of you Model A Ford types who have the thought that you have seen any and every Model A photo taken during the era when hey were new ,here is one of your favorite make and model , I will let you give us some feedback as to year and most important location.

FORDAfranceoct1930.jpg

A 1930 standard roadster.  The car looks brand new!🤩  The headlights and radiator badge look European to me. 🤔

Capt. Harley😉

• Like 1

Marine Parade, Wairoa, New Zealand in the early 1920s. Looks to be an early Dodge in the street and an early 1920s Willys-Knight parked behind the Ford.

Marine Parade actually runs along the side of the river - 😀

Wairoa early 20s Akl lib Lew R.jpg

A recent (May 2019) view from streetview. Looks to be an early morning shot which would explain the lack of traffic.

Web capture_24-2-2022_11726_www.google.com a.jpeg

• Like 3

On 2/21/2022 at 3:11 PM, nzcarnerd said:

This car is not a mystery - it is a circa 1902 (British) Star 12 hp according to the attached article - but has an interesting history - The Silver Bowl: Sometimes a Picture (sharonoddiebrown.blogspot.com)

DARE car cropped.jpg

An update on this one. The car in this photo is a circa 1906 Adams-Hewitt, which it seems Mrs Dale bought as a replacement for the previously mentioned Star.

Wow, a chain drive brass Model T.  Very rare model; not something one usually sees at a Con-Coors event in Colorado.  But it is not a cool as speedster with a dirigible propeller, when the driver can feel the wind in his hair as he drives.

2120829642_ModelTroller.jpg.e244dd7e0cbe5bab5d8279d04f000bc2.jpg

Air powered.jpg

• Like 3

Wow, I have seen gray hair old people who can't see over the steering wheel, but the lady looks way too young.  What is the story on the transmission housing architecture beneath her legs?  There is a prominent metal rectangular plate with a depressed center and two large round knobs, one of which is on top of a shaft.

3.jpg.50ba6c243c301a799a4db020a5d3cde1.jpg

I believe the recessed plate is where one's heel goes.  I know several makes had this, but offhand can't recall which.  And where's the accelerator pedal, if that's what this is?  It looks like she could see clearly right through the steering wheel!

1 hour ago, twin6 said:

I believe the recessed plate is where one's heel goes.  I know several makes had this, but offhand can't recall which.  And where's the accelerator pedal, if that's what this is?  It looks like she could see clearly right through the steering wheel!

That is obviously quite a large car. Has the make been determined?

Is the accelerator pedal out of shot to the right?

I guess that is the choke on the column. Funny enough that is where we have the choke lever on the 1926 Pontiac 'raceabout' - few other places for it. It is an accelerator lever and cable from a Gravely garden tractor.

I think this photo of our Pontiac illustrates just how much bigger and 'meatier' that young lady's early speedster is. Steering column diameter, pedal sizes etc...

Hadstock 18 J McD photo (2).jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, twin6 said:

accelerator is between the clutch and brake.       John

• Like 1

Interesting old photo. No info re location etc with it unfortunately but someone might recognise it.

Date circa 1912?

Looks to be a Model 10 Buick closest to camera.

The plate on the T might help date the photo.

The car behind the T is probably identifiable. It looks to date from maybe 1904 or earlier?

In the distance might be an underslung of some sort.

sag Maximillen Vanbreak.jpg

• Like 4

I don't know the original source of this one but the caption with it is - "View of parade of cars, carrying children and motorists, during the 1906 second annual excursion for orphans sponsored by the New York Motor Club. Lincoln Building and Brentano's store in background. 1,200 children were taken on a trip to the Dreamland amusement park at Coney Island"

My guess re the cars is maybe 1905 Winton at the front with - maybe - a 1906 Stephens-Duryea visible behind. The round radiator car might be a 1905 National.

20s autos K Sparks NYMC orphans excursion 1906.jpg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

Interesting old photo. No info re location etc with it unfortunately but someone might recognise it.

Date circa 1912?

Looks to be a Model 10 Buick closest to camera.

The plate on the T might help date the photo.

The car behind the T is probably identifiable. It looks to date from maybe 1904 or earlier?

In the distance might be an underslung of some sort.

sag Maximillen Vanbreak.jpg

The step-side body, windshield filler board and top irons all point to a 1909 or 1910 Ford.     John

14 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

The plate looked like a Jacksonville, FL plate and when I searched just now for the hotel, this came up.  The sign and street lamp appear to match.

hotel.jpg

• Like 3