Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

4 hours ago, hook said:

That's good in theory and as long as you don't use full automatic. But, the way a Thompson pulls to the left on full automatic, I think I'd go AWOL before I would drive that motorcycle.   

You could go full automatic in that situation.  You just have to know how to control your bursts and to lean into the gun.

Capt. Harley😉

Skirts are for women not car fenders!😊

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hddennis said:

Really?, have you ever actually fired a Thompson?  Neither one of the two I had in Viet Nam ever gave me any control problem at all. So smooth on full auto I could hold it with one hand and still control it. It weighed a ton and that heavy bolt acted like a gyro to  stabilize  it.973626723_DizzyfiringhisThompsonattheRockpile.jpg.bc9af9cdac8d11716bd2ee89a3270102.jpg363604301_TheRockpile-Copy(2).jpg.2329b1094fcacd2f2a7b820cfa0e6401.jpg

Thank you for your service Howard! Bob 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, alsancle said:

D'Ieteren coachwork on 1936 Studebaker.

StudebakerCustomBody.jpg

Wow!  Its a 1938 Studebaker State Commander Six Series 8A convertible coupe by D'Ieteren.   Studebaker offered only four door convertible sedans for 1938-'39, the bodies built by Auburn Central on contract.   D'Ieteren assembled Studebakers in the postwar years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

Walt, forgive for posting this picture of a Packard powered hot rod.   It is getting harder and harder to find pictures that aren't already in this thread.

PackardPoweredPlane.jpg

That is the biggest hood ornament/car mascot /radiator cap I have ever seen.🤣

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

Campbell-Napier-Railton Blue Bird Malcolm 1931

Campbell-Napier-Railton

Napier-Railton-Cobb

Cobb Napier-Railton Endurance Racer

Sunbeam Silver Bullet debut Kaye Don

Sunbeam Silver Bullet LSR Car

1935-monaco-trossi.jpg?w=625&h=332

Monaco Trossi 1935 Grand Prix Racer

jenkins mormon meteor iii indy in

Jenkins Mormon Meteor III

Just one more:

PRR S1 6100 no skirts

Pennsylvania Railroad 6-4-4-6 S1 Locomotive

Love the wonderful racers , but what a great Art Deco train !!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dave Gelinas (XP-300) said:

43700560030_d92204039e_b.jpg

Great busy photo , showing change in transport , horse carts to cars , devils number on side 666 😊also like the face  posters they remind me of wanted reward posters and what’s swamp root ? 

Funny thing when I see many period photos of cars this era , most are dirty , probably work vehicles and cleaning not a priority I suppose.

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I little bit of very early history with this one. First picture is Jackson Square in Late 1950’s Boston. Off in the distance you can see the Boston water stand pipe tower. If you look close and imagine all the buildings you see are gone, you will notice the bottom of the stand pipe is shown on the ground and that elevation is above everything around, thus the reason George Washington had such a commanding power over the British forces in 1775.

1.jpg

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

• Like 3

15 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

Lincolnshire, UK, registration - maybe circa 1910.

BE 785 is a Lindsey County Council Registration in what used to be the Kingdom of Lindsey in 7th Century where they spoke Brittonic. Area is between the Humber estuary and the Wash, absorbed into the ancient area of Nothumbria and Mercia. Lindum Colonia was the Roman name of the settlement which is now the City of Lincoln in the county of Lincolnshire. Precise Lindsey registration dating records are lost but known BE 830 was registered in 1910, so this car was of that period. 

The car is relatively unusual having been manufactured in Wolverhampton in central England by a company that was known for the Star range of cars and lorries made between 1898 to 1932. (No connection with the American Star which had to change its name to Rugby in UK and Colonies.)  At the time Star was UK's sixth largest car manufacturer producing about 1000 cars a year. Star began by making bicycles 1893 changing the name to Star Cycle Company in 1896. Started making the ‘Star-Benz in 1898 and changed name to Star Engineering. Export became important, specifically to the Antipodees.

Meanwhile Star Cycles run by founder’s son making cycles and motorcycles eventually entered the motor industry themselves making cheaper versions of the Star as Stuart and Starling. In 1909 the two branches of Star formed a subsidiary called Briton Motor Co, making cars badged as Britons, and also took over making Starling and Stuart. The first two Britons were a 2282 cc 12 hp twin and a 2413 cc 14 hp four. The car in the picture appears to a cca 1910 Briton 14HP Two-Seat Tourer.

regards

Vintman (UK)

www.svvs.org 

CarWithDog.jpg.c1c6d22f515ff208aa283226d5bc69c3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The photo says where Moxie can be perfectly made. Has anyone tasted Moxie? It may be perfectly made all right but.................

The second photo gives the location of the school as Bickford Street. The obvious thought would be the street your looking at, but it isn't. This is the back of the school and Bickford Street is on the other side running between the Plant shoe factory and the school. But, they're both gone now so it doesn't matter. Oh yeah, the Moxie building is gone too.

625.jpg

crocker school.jpg

hyde-square.jpg

jamaica-theatre-crop.jpg

• Like 1