Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

10 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

A 1920s photo from New Zealand. Looks to be a circa 1926 Chev roadster at far left, and maybe a mid 1920s Vauxhall or Standard at far fight.

Any thoughts on the car on the right? Double bead moulding on the fender - shiny ring on the rear of the drum head lamp - multiple rim clamp bolts. 

old photos Phil Brenchley Gisborne.jpg

old photos Phil Brenchley Gisborne (2).jpg

An update on this one - apparently the photo was taken in England before the family emigrated to NZ. That being said it is odd that two of the cars are American. Of course there were plenty of American cars sold in the UK in the 1920s. Just a pity there is not a visible registration plate to prove the case one way or the other.

On 5/28/2021 at 8:42 AM, alsancle said:

I have three issues:

1.   I hate whitewalls in general,  but especially on a car that had about a 1% chance of wearing them originally.

2.  Wheel color should be darker than body color as a rule.

3.  This wheel color with the whitewalls scream at you and all you see are wheels and no car.

You have WAY more than three issues..............but then again, so do I..............🤪

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

The Well Dressed lady embarks on a journey in 1930 Southern California - the folklore is this pic was used in a Johnson wax ad.  And check out the hood treatment - engine turned aluminum!  And if the front tires are bald, no wonder they have leatherette covers on the sidemounts!

1929CadillacTownCar_000036.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Dave Gelinas (XP-300) said:

She was on her way to the grocery store to buy some Oreos.

Oreo Cookies Billboard.jpg

BILLBOARDS were prolific for decades, still are but less so due to computer screens, tv etc. The billboards were specifically aimed at sending a message to someone in a vehicle who was driving along a highway, especially post WWII when the highway system under the Eisenhower administration was expanded at a rapid rate.  The artwork and images were often designed to appear three dimensional or had other parts added to them to enhance that factor of advertising.  Some were very basic, others like this one more spectacular in impact.

Edited by Walt G
date correction (see edit history)
  • Like 3

On 5/27/2021 at 7:31 PM, Dave Gelinas (XP-300) said:

Although these are not period photos, I believe the car deserves it's placement here in this thread.

Just Gorgeous. 

1929 Peerless 8 125 7 Passenger Sedan

As a side note.

This car was used in the weekly television series "The Untouchables" (1959-1963) as a "Mob" car. 

1929 Peerless 8 125 7 Passenger Sedan - -.jpg

Dave....thank you for putting in this mention of the Eight-125 Peerless. I'm guessing that the photos are from the initial Concours it was presented at, Boca Raton, where it was awarded a 99.5 in CCCA judging. The restorer, visible here, told me crowds walked on by a row of Cadillacs and flocked around this '29 Peerless, never having seen this model before. There is a 1 or 2-minute video about the car on the Peerlesss Research Findings thread on the Peerless Forum here.

The numbers built are about equal to total Duesenberg production, so they were rare when built. I believe there are 6 of these 8-125s known in the world today(I keep the registry). At the Peerless booth David Baird and I ran at Hershey in 2013 -- I met someone who had a Coupe version of this. Can you imagine this in Coupe form? Alsancle will say, "Yeah, with blackwall tires, though!" The owner here elected to be "Puttin' On the Ritz", as the old song goes, and it does stand out.

Fourteenth year in the eight-cylinder field, first year for straight-eight. 114 HP. Available in these body styles:

1. Coupe --- $2,195
  2. Roadster --- $2,195
  3. Victoria --- $2,195
  4. Sedan 5 --- $2,195
  5. Sedan 7 --- $2,295
  6. Limousine --- $2,495

----Jeff

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Walt G said:

BILLBOARDS were prolific for decades, still are but less so due to computer screens, tv etc. The billboards were specifically aimed at sending a message to someone in a vehicle who was driving along a highway, especially post WWII when the highway system under the Eisenhower administration was expanded at a rapid rate.  The artwork and images were often designed to appear three dimensional or had other parts added to them to enhance that factor of advertising.  Some were very basic, others like this one more spectacular in impact.

Wasn’t it Lady Byrd Johnson who had the national campaign to get rid of them?

• Like 1

On 5/28/2021 at 10:58 AM, Walt G said:

Well, some people have mentioned the "pie crust" edge style to tires, this has to be the 'crustiest' ever made. Come on everyone - this is authenticity!  Let's stop discussion on wheel color and start talkin about Zip Dang!!!  Note what is says on the windows at the back ground Falls Cords - hey we are lookin at  Cord . Now all we need to hear is Gomer Pyle saying "goll - lee". Automotive history and authenticity at its best......................... ( do any of these tires survive?)

I for one like white wall tires but even for me this is a little much. However, I think they missed their calling and could have teamed up with Purina Chow.

Enterprise mill circa 1919.jpg

Purina chow.jpg

• Like 2

On 5/28/2021 at 6:17 AM, alsancle said:

That is a really nice car that they picked great colors on and then proceeded to crap in their pants when they did the wheels.

The later big Peerless cars are almost never seen.   There are maybe a dozen of them?   Jeff our Peerless guy can give exact numbers.  

A.J.,

Yeah, you could put all the straight-8 Peerlesses from 1929-1932 known to exist in a KFC parking lot. 35 at most, counting some rumored cars and the one I told you about in a big barn find collection. Out of a production of 3,774 of the Sakhnoffsky-designed models and 1,163 of the 1929 8-125 models. I'll try to post photos of ones that have appeared in the forums. 4 of these are period images & 6 are more recent:

peerlessWithWymannBody.jpg<--1930 Peerless with Weymann coachwork

image.jpeg.da81035914f0e2224cdd44d31a629373.jpeg<-- 1930 Custom Eight in New Jersey452679708_Screenshot2018-09-24at1_44_45PM.png.3e14abad8aaa3bb83b59fb0862867d02.png<---- 1931 Master Eight in Ontario

5a9a235b0c0ae_IMG_7307(1).thumb.JPG.2d00d6d3d1040c016eb1d0a4d9791e8d.JPG  <-- 1930 Standard Eight discovered in storage at the Blackhawk Collection, California, now in China5866d94a4c77b_peerlesscrop.thumb.jpg.02ab59890b97b7bc96010d1c70fd278f.jpg

The Last Peerless, Cleveland Police Chief George Matowitz's 1932 Custom Eight

post-93154-0-79394400-1444578842_thumb.jpeg<---1930 or 31 Standard or Master Eight Coupe in a shed in Marin County, California and FS on Vroom 6 years agopost-49853-143143073971_thumb.jpg<---1932 Master Eight in Hawaiipost-49853-143142683231_thumb.jpg<---1931 Deluxe Master Eight post-49853-143138108497_thumb.jpg<--- 1929 Eight-125 in Ontario til 2019

image.jpeg.638b1c4e386dbbab155ac5e196c2011f.jpeg<------ 1929 Eight-125 in California

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The 6th Peerless listed -- the 2nd Coupe -- would be a fascinating restoration. In 1960, someone redid it as a lakebed racer, all the rage at the time in SoCal. The top was taken off and the I-8 was replaced with another I-8 (Chrysler Spitfire) and a LaSalle tranny, the huge headlights were replaced with small ones, and the wood or wire wheels with smaller ones to lower it, probably. I know where a replacement Peerless/Continental straight-8 motor is and the Chrysler mill might be sellable. It was running when for sale in 2015...the owner even posted it on the AACA forums once. 

The wheelbase was 118" in the Standard 8 and 125" in the Master 8. Engines 85 HP and 115 HP, respectively. New prices for these Coupes were $1,495/$1,995/$2,320 for Standard/Master/Deluxe Master.

A photo posted on facebook today - supposedly the (very messy) carpark at the 1911 Indy 500.

I can see a Stearns on the right, one Ford T near the middle and a Packard on the far left. Anything else identifiable??

Being Indy there must be a Stutz or two or maybe a National.

I see three raceabout/speedsters.

20s autos Jack Finney 11 Indy carpark.jpg