Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

Antique cars in another troubled time - a trio of factory-built Mercer Raceabouts at the AACA club outing at Lamb's Tavern on Sep. 18, 1942.

1942-10-18c_LambsTavern_enlarged.thumb.jpg.35e7c14b73041023bb3df2ebef9417bb.jpg

From left to right - Alec Ullman's 1912, before the wire wheels were installed; Jack Fetterolf's 1913; and Sam Baily's 1914. 

77 years ago...  The Raceabouts were only 28-30 years old.

The following year, during gas rationing, both the Ullman and Baily cars were DRIVEN from Philadelphia to a meet at Peter Helck's home in Boston Corners, NY, over 200 miles.  Baily's 13-year-old daughter rode in the outside seat over the running board, visible in this photo taken after the car was purchased by Helck.

Helck_sideseat.jpg.b21631d1f3e0762083254b3a4eb0b6bc.jpg

The Ullman car is in a collection in California, the Fetterolf car was on display until 2012 at the Central Texas Museum of Automotive History, and the Baily car is in private hands.

• Like 3

Randy, this is very special! Reflects extremely well a bygone era. Note the rubber hose in the last photo leading from the gas pump area - this was the "bell ringer" feature to let someone working on cars inside the station to go out and pump some gasoline and clean the windows of the customers car as well ( note the box on the post where paper towels went)

8 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Randy, this is very special! Reflects extremely well a bygone era. Note the rubber hose in the last photo leading from the gas pump area - this was the "bell ringer" feature to let someone working on cars inside the station to go out and pump some gasoline and clean the windows of the customers car as well ( note the box on the post where paper towels went)

I remember all of this very well, and always performed an exceptionally thorough windshield cleaning when the driver or front seat passenger was a good looking young lady wearing shorts or who was otherwise "gifted"......  🙂 (We need a "leer" emoji)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I worked in a Texaco station that would be a ringer for that one if the floorplan were reversed (office on the other end). It was the 1980s and the end of an era. Washington had been full of c-stores for a while at that time and had self service gas since the early 70s. We were definitely an anachronism. We still had full service on one island, and were operating more or less just like 1955, the year it opened. I am glad I got to experience it the way it was. I remember that bell very well....  I'm still pretty good with a squeegee too.

Here is a Picture taken in the office in the mid 60s.

5cdfd3b18882d.image.jpg?resize=1200,827

• Like 2

Minor correction, that is the Baily/Helck MERCER, but the photo is at the Ridgefield Meet in Connecticut, Peter , son and grandson I believe. VERY IMPORTANT MERCER! It was the first T Head I ever got a ride in 49 years after seeing my first one. The McCarthy 1911 MERCER that lived in town since new  is now in the Simeone Collection in Philadelphia. Bob 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, StanleyRegister said:

Antique cars in another troubled time - a trio of factory-built Mercer Raceabouts at the AACA club outing at Lamb's Tavern on Sep. 18, 1942.

1942-10-18c_LambsTavern_enlarged.thumb.jpg.35e7c14b73041023bb3df2ebef9417bb.jpg

From left to right - Alec Ullman's 1912, before the wire wheels were installed; Jack Fetterolf's 1913; and Sam Baily's 1914. 

77 years ago...  The Raceabouts were only 28-30 years old.

The following year, during gas rationing, both the Ullman and Baily cars were DRIVEN from Philadelphia to a meet at Peter Helck's home in Boston Corners, NY, over 200 miles.  Baily's 13-year-old daughter rode in the outside seat over the running board, visible in this photo taken after the car was purchased by Helck.

The Ullman car is in a collection in California, the Fetterolf car was on display until 2012 at the Central Texas Museum of Automotive History, and the Baily car is in private hands.

Note that the Baily car is the only one with the non-original after market monocle windshield which Sam needed in order to have a place for the "A" gas rationing sticker. In the background appears to be the model B wagon (with kerosene conversion) driven by  my mother. A Packard Twin 6 was driven by my father.

Edited by A. Ballard 35R
correction (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

^^^^^^ As I get older Four Door Sedans look better & better, Close coupled four passenger and Victorias. Bob 

AGREE, there is nothing like riding in a car where the seats are more comfortable than your sofa at home!

C0BBA73A-1BAD-48D0-B60D-B70B37E75526.jpeg

• Like 2

I just couldn't resist posting 2 more of the Ullman Raceabout, way up at the top of my list of favorite early hobby Mercer photos.  The first shows Ullman, the second shows a later owner, before he removed the wires & electric cowl lights, and repainted the car to the color it is today.  I know the wires aren't original, and I like artillery wheels, but the combination of this brand and size and color of wire wheels, on a dark-painted Raceabout, really rings my chimes.

2101760359_1950sUllman.thumb.jpg.94c4f7265a61de80aad5e148a2f3ff7b.jpg

1650505341_1953-56D.thumb.jpg.787b497451c156bc04e98b75ecca162c.jpg

• Like 2

White Motor Car Company
Creator Rombach & Groene
Date 05/17/1926
Collection Rombach & Groene Collection (SC#296)
Image No. SC#296-1832
Item Type Film negative
Description Interior of the White Motor Car Company's factory. The company was located at 1606 Reading Road in 1913, but moved to 2417 Gilbert Avenue by 1915. It advertised itself as distributors of "white" pleasure cars and trucks.
Subjects Automobiles -- Ohio -- Cincinnati   
Business enterprises -- Ohio -- Cincinnati   
White Motor Car Co. (Cincinnati, Ohio)  
Condition Spotting and residual adhesive on negative.
Dimensions 8 x 10
Rights All rights reserved. Contact the CMC photo curator for copies or permission.
Cincinnati History Library and Archives

616850687_SC296-1832-w(2).thumb.jpg.8fb74cf139c7f36382d264404257aac1.jpg