Do not put your feet on the Dash if you have an Air Bag

Mark Gregory

Shocking X-ray shows a young woman's hips after they were crushed in a crash because she propped her feet up on the dashboard

• A woman's hips were crushed during a crash as she rested her feet on the dash
  • Sergeant Ian Price shared the X-ray to deter front seat passengers 
  • Drivers could be accused of 'impeding a vehicle' for blocking a side mirror

image.png.50ea74ab31c9fe3144c870c765a6ebf1.png

In 2017, a mother-of-three was left permanently disabled in a minor crash because she rested her feet on the dashboard in Chickamauga, Georgia.

Audra Tatum broke her nose, ankle and four parts of her femur as an airbag threw her foot into her face.

She didn't have time to consider moving her crossed when the car careered out from the right-hand side. 

Chattanooga Fire Department said: 'If you ride with your feet on the dash and you're involved in an accident, the airbag may send your knees through your eye sockets.'    

• Thanks 1

I think common sense and simple courtesy used to keep people from riding around with their feet on the dash long before the introduction of air bags.

It's too bad this woman has been disabled, but I see this more as a self inflicted gun shot wound.

Now she will probably be the cause of a new warning sticker on all 2021 air bag equipped cars, describing how to properly sit on a seat.

ugh!

Stupid moves in unpredictable ways. Any time you try to engineer with stupid in mind, stupid gets creative and finds new ways to stupid. It's an unwinnable battle.

We should consider ourselves lucky when all they do is injure themselves with the stupid.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Stupid moves in unpredictable ways. Any time you try to engineer with stupid in mind, stupid gets creative and finds new ways to stupid. It's an unwinnable battle.

We should consider ourselves lucky when all they do is injure themselves with the stupid.

It’s called natural selection.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, GregLaR said:

Now she will probably be the cause of a new warning sticker on all 2021 air bag equipped cars, describing how to properly sit on a seat.

ugh!

Its already there.  Just flip your sunvisors down to read it.

Craig

There was another woman that had her entire forehead pushed in by her knees because she had her feet on the dash during a traffic collision.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/woman-shares-shocking-images-of-feet-on-the-dashboard-injuries-after-crash-36034630.html

crash2.jpg

Yes, such accidents are tragic, but I agree there's only so much you can protect people from...

I knew a woman, usually normal, who delighted in engaging in intimacies in the front seat while her husband was driving down the highway in a motor home or pickup pulling a travel trailer. They never came to grief, but talk about distracted driving...

There's nothing you can do for people that take crazy risks for the thrill or just because someone with more sense said they shouldn't...

Several years ago there was a news article about driving with your hands at 10 and 2 as most of us were taught.  If your airbag is activated you will have broken hands and wrists.  Today you still see many/most drivers with their hands at 10 and 2 when 4 and 8 work just as well and protect your hands and wrists..  

Stupid I know about but my stupid did not/could not result in bodily harm, just mechanical and ego damage and taught me to be somewhat careful and observant.

I wish all on this fora to have happy healthy motoring.

2 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

JEEZE guys!!! Like you never did something in innocence and had only brainless good luck to thank for not  ending up in a similar boat. Sheeesh...........Bob

This is not "innocence". This is "no sense". One does not need to be a rocket scientist to understand what happens when an airbag goes off. Are there really people who haven't seen videos? And even more to the point, riding with your feet on the dash is a really stupid thing to do even in a car WITHOUT airbags. That position negates the effectiveness of seatbelts. Again, this is not rocket science, it's common sense (which is sadly uncommon).

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, George Smolinski said:

It’s called natural selection.

George,

I think you are spot on.

One of my good friends is a first responder here in Palm Springs. After 20 + years on the force, he says a very high percentage of the incidents he's called to are due to simple human stupidity

He believes now that his job is only to interrupt natural selection. 😄

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah. I'm certain you guys have never done anything that in retrospect was STUPID. I'm certain that you were never surprised by something that went horribly awry but you were fortunate enough to be able to step away and say " Holy shit! ...Was I ever lucky."

Let he with out sin cast the first stone.

Were that homily followed there would be precious little masonry flying about.......Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah. I'm certain you guys have never done anything that in retrospect was STUPID. I'm certain that you were never surprised by something that went horribly awry but you were fortunate enough to be able to step away and say " Holy shit! ...Was I ever lucky."

Let he with out sin cast the first stone.

Were that homily followed there would be precious little masonry flying about.......Bob

I've done lots of stuff that was stupid. It was still stupid, and I knew better, and it would be perfectly appropriate for people to call me out on it. Frequently I DID get injured, like the trip to the emergency room to remove metal shards from my eye because I was too stupid/lazy to get a full face mask when using a die grinder. What's your point?

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)
  • Like 1

My point is that a momentary lapse of judgement, that results in a horrible out come, does not justify an accusatory response delivered with an air of superiority.

I'm thinking that the point of the OP was to make us aware of the potential dangers of a device that we are exposed to daily without mishap. That daily and uneventful exposure leads to complacency. Complacency leads to lapses in judgement  and that can very well lead to disaster. As it did.

So rather than seeing an opportunity for derision of the victim we would be far better served by a heightened awareness of the explosives we ride with every day and give little thought to.

I'm very glad you didn't lose your eye sight, Joe. Just a momentary lapse of judgement. It could have been worse...Just sayin.............Bob

5 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Any men been hurt yet?

Nice sexist remark.😡

I've seen way more men put their feet on dashes than women. I've been in fleet vehicles that had a sticker telling people NOT to put their feet on the dash. Way before airbags, so people just ignored the message.

13 hours ago, zepher said:

There was another woman that had her entire forehead pushed in by her knees because she had her feet on the dash during a traffic collision.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/woman-shares-shocking-images-of-feet-on-the-dashboard-injuries-after-crash-36034630.html

crash2.jpg

Looks more like her hat was way too tight.

10 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

My point is that a momentary lapse of judgement, that results in a horrible out come, does not justify an accusatory response delivered with an air of superiority.

I'm thinking that the point of the OP was to make us aware of the potential dangers of a device that we are exposed to daily without mishap. That daily and uneventful exposure leads to complacency. Complacency leads to lapses in judgement  and that can very well lead to disaster. As it did.

So rather than seeing an opportunity for derision of the victim we would be far better served by a heightened awareness of the explosives we ride with every day and give little thought to.

I'm very glad you didn't lose your eye sight, Joe. Just a momentary lapse of judgement. It could have been worse...Just sayin.............Bob

Next you’ll tell us that the dumbasses who stick their hand in a snowblower or lawnmower are just innocents with a momentary lapse and we should have compassion for them. You ever seen Forrest Gump? Stupid is as stupid does.

5 hours ago, George Smolinski said:

Next you’ll tell us that the dumbasses who stick their hand in a snowblower or lawnmower are just innocents with a momentary lapse and we should have compassion for them. You ever seen Forrest Gump? Stupid is as stupid does.

Bit of a difference between knowingly sticking your body parts into a moving piece of machinery and idly resting your feet on something that has no obvious ill intent. 

Webster defines innocence as lack of knowledge or being unaware. So yes, I will say the young girl was an innocent.

And so, yes, I look at that x-ray and feel compassion.

Your results may vary.................Bob

It's unfortunate that she suffered such dire  consequences, and we can all feel compassion for that.  And we can probably all say that we are grateful that we did not suffer for some of our past stupidities.

But it doesn't change that putting your feet up onto an explosive charge ( and you would assume there is an airbag there) is a personal responsibility.  She was not a small child.

"OK, Boomer" if you wish, but not somebody else's responsibility.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, bryankazmer said:

It's unfortunate that she suffered such dire  consequences, and we can all feel compassion for that.  And we can probably all say that we are grateful that we did not suffer for some of our past stupidities.

But it doesn't change that putting your feet up onto an explosive charge ( and you would assume there is an airbag there) is a personal responsibility.  She was not a small child.

"OK, Boomer" if you wish, but not somebody else's responsibility.

My take on the OP is that it's a well founded reminder to us that there is indeed real dangers hidden in our vehicles. Because we live along side that danger day in and day out without notice or harm it's easy to get comfortable and complacent. To even forget it's there. Or in some cases of younger people who have been raised with vehicles with air bags to just take them for granted. No biggie.

You are correct that it was her personal responsibility. No one forced her to do it.

But, rather than heap derision on the girl I think it would be wise to consider the human behavior factors that lulled her into not stupidity, but complacency. A state of mind that we are all vulnerable to and that has caught many.

I have forwarded the OP to my grand children................Bob

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, bryankazmer said:

I agree.  Complacency, ignorance, or stupidity as the cause does not change the result.  The lesson should be a heightened awareness of the possible consequences of our own actions.

Which, of course, was the lesson contained in the OP.  Little is gained by derision or assigning blame.

Good discussion.

Hopefully we'll all be a bit safer in all the things we do..........Cheers.................Bob