Any modern cars you admire, or aspire to acquire?

John_S_in_Penna

The only new car I would consider is a newer turbo version of my 2013 Mini convertible. Overall the Mini is just a fun car to drive, great mileage, responsive handling and a good ride. My son is 6'4" and he fits in it without a problem. You do tend to rub elbows with the passenger though. I don't have to the turbo model, so that would be an upgrade for sure.

IMG_4077.thumb.jpg.57dd8ee8a930981cf5d7a87540a4ae40.jpg

I've got 110K miles on it and after warranty was over, it never went back to the dealer. I don't know how anyone could afford to have the dealer work on their Mini or BMW. I changed the thermostat last year and paid $75 for the part and spent about 2 or 3 hours doing the repair. The thermostat is built into a large plastic housing which has 4 hoses going to it. Not fun to change, but better than the $700 the dealer charges. Same with the timing chain, struts, hubs, trans fluid, brakes, water pump......all very expensive to have repaired at the dealer.

I sold my 1995 Ranger 2 years ago because I needed a more dependable truck to haul furniture etc. I bought the truck new and had almost 200K miles on it.

I bought a Colorado truck as a replacement but it's not the same. I miss having a smaller truck where I don't need a step ladder and I can reach into the bed easily.

I have a 65 Electra convertible for real cruising along with the top down. It gets 10 mpg no matter how I drive. The don't make em that big anymore. No complicated electronics either.

My wife drives a 2017 Outback. A lot of electronics but not as much as the newer models.

I haven't had any computer issues with the Mini thus far. I did have to buy special tools and testers to do my own work, but like I mentioned before, It is just a fun car to drive. And a good car to drive in the snow too.

3 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

I like my 2015 Tundra. My son tried to talk me into trading it in and even brought me to a Toyota dealership one time. I just don’t like most modern cars, so this short old lady has stuck with the 2015 Tundra that I have to jump up into because I don’t have running boards. 

I guess I’d take a Challenger R/T if I could afford one, but only if I could keep the PU too. I also have a fondness for Mercedes SLK’s from the late 90’s on. (Retractable Hard Top). The truth is I’d probably buy much older cars if I had the money. 

If you are going to buy a SLK make sure the top works! 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, victorialynn2 said:

Yes, I’m familiar with making sure tops work. I hear there are more issues with the slk’s then the Ford I have though. 

Yes the hydraulics are problematic from what I've been told, same as the SL series. Then electric gremlins  double conspire!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

Padgett,  did I miss something?  Jeep has a one million mile warranty  that lasts for 87 years?  Might be enough to make me reconsider my self imposed lifetime ban on Chrysler products.   Maybe

If you re read it again you will notice many misspelled words, I suspect a typographical error.  

1 hour ago, md murray said:

-How 'bout these 1980's Toyota land cruisers with 200,000 miles selling for more than they cost new? -Absolutely blows my mind.

How about 1980's Toyota anything? Well no, the author if you remember said in the last ten years.

I'll post a few;

Altima FWD 3.5 V-6, 4 passenger Coupe;

01010_fLhxAA5R6E1_1200x900.jpg

Infiniti 3.5 V-6 RWD G35-37, 4 passenger Coupes:

01515_e8Cs2bSaRGe_1200x900.jpg

Nissan RWD 3.5 V-6 350 and 370Z 2 passenger sports car coupe and convertible. 

01717_6fgZew6sbtZ_1200x900.jpg

00j0j_5qbXiWYfWfI_1200x900.jpg

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, md murray said:

-How 'bout these 1980's Toyota land cruisers with 200,000 miles selling for more than they cost new? -Absolutely blows my mind.

I admire some of the Lexus LS sedans from 1990 up:

reliable, powerful, comfortable.  Some of the first I even saw

with cloth interiors.  Then for a while the styling wasn't as good;

then it came around again to good styling.

However, I don't at all like their current growling abstract grilles.

Here's a good-looking first generation LS400:

Image result for 1990 lexus ls400

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

I admire some of the Lexus LS sedans from 1990 up:

reliable, powerful, comfortable.  Some of the first I even saw

with cloth interiors.  Then for a while the styling wasn't as good;

then it came around again to good styling.

However, I don't at all like their current growling abstract grilles.

Here's a good-looking first generation LS400:

Image result for 1990 lexus ls400

I had likened the newer Lexus grilles to the predator's mouth. The resemblance is quite similar.

Image result for lexus imagesImage result for predator images

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

Corvette C7, I am not a fan of Corvettes although I had fun in a beat up 68 roadster as a teenager in the late 70's. There is something about the size and no nonsense  look of the C7 coupes and ragtops. I saw a dark green convertible parked at a restaurant about a year ago and couldn't take my eyes of of it.

Since this thread began asking what we would own as a modern car I wish to add my most recent experiences.  In 2011 I bought a new VW GTI which has been the most trouble free car I have owned.  Today it passed PA safety and emissions inspections with absolutely no issues at 113,585 miles.  It had one recall for a fuel rail issue some years ago which was repaired under warranty.  Amazingly, it still has the original brake rotors and pads!  Granted, I typically drive 30 to 70 mile one way trips and change the oil and filter every 5,000 miles.  I have considered replacing it, since I will have owned it 9 years next month, but the only new car I am considering at this time would be a new GTI, since there's a 260 hp model coming out later this year.  The 200 hp mine has is more than sufficient for a daily driver and for a couple of years I autocrossed it in SCCA and finished 2nd in class each year.  A few months after buying the GTI I bought a 2001 Porsche Boxster which is a more fun car to drive and has been my autocross ride the past five seasons.  I was pleased to see the Boxster mentioned a few times in earlier postings as a car others have had or are considering and have to say it's one of the most affordable fun rides available.  It also helps to have an excellent independent garage close by that does not charge what a dealer would for routine work.  As for collectible cars, I would advise sticking with those from the analog era rather than today's digital vehicles.

Since this thread began asking what we would own as a modern car I wish to add my most recent experiences.  In 2011 I bought a new VW GTI which has been the most trouble free car I have owned.  Today it passed PA safety and emissions inspections with absolutely no issues at 113,585 miles.  It had one recall for a fuel rail issue some years ago which was repaired under warranty.  Amazingly, it still has the original brake rotors and pads!  Granted, I typically drive 30 to 70 mile one way trips and change the oil and filter every 5,000 miles.  I have considered replacing it, since I will have owned it 9 years next month, but the only new car I am considering at this time would be a new GTI, since there's a 260 hp model coming out later this year.  The 200 hp mine has is more than sufficient for a daily driver and for a couple of years I autocrossed it in SCCA and finished 2nd in class each year.  A few months after buying the GTI I bought a 2001 Porsche Boxster which is a more fun car to drive and has been my autocross ride the past five seasons.  I was pleased to see the Boxster mentioned a few times in earlier postings as a car others have had or are considering and have to say it's one of the most affordable fun rides available.  It also helps to have an excellent independent garage close by that does not charge what a dealer would for routine work.  As for collectible cars, I would advise sticking with those from the analog era rather than today's digital vehicles.

@Pfeil Glad to see someone mentioned modern cars with the venerable Nissan VQ engine.

I've owned a 2002 Nissan Altima SE 3.5 since new and it has been bulletproof.

With 229k miles on the clock I have only had to replace one fuel injector and the fuel rail pressure regulator.

Everything else under the hood is original, except for wear items like plugs, of course.

It still has plenty of power even with all the miles.

Back in 2004 or so, I saw a bone stock 2002 3.5 Altima run a 14.2 quarter mile at an open drag night. Don't remember trap speed.

That quarter mile time puts it in line with a lot of classic muscle cars of the 60's and 70's.

Not bad at all for a 4-door family car.

1 hour ago, zepher said:

@Pfeil Glad to see someone mentioned modern cars with the venerable Nissan VQ engine.

I've owned a 2002 Nissan Altima SE 3.5 since new and it has been bulletproof.

With 229k miles on the clock I have only had to replace one fuel injector and the fuel rail pressure regulator.

Everything else under the hood is original, except for wear items like plugs, of course.

It still has plenty of power even with all the miles.

Back in 2004 or so, I saw a bone stock 2002 3.5 Altima run a 14.2 quarter mile at an open drag night. Don't remember trap speed.

That quarter mile time puts it in line with a lot of classic muscle cars of the 60's and 70's.

Not bad at all for a 4-door family car.

You are right about the VQ engine and it's been on the ten best engines ever built for over ten years now. I have the 4.0 version in my 2019 truck. Another thing I like about the engine is it's made in the U.S.A. The engine foundry is in Tennessee. My truck has way more U.S. content than G.M., Ford or Chrysler.   

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Bills Auto Works said:

... I was driving a 97 El Dorado ETC with the Biarritz package...

I sold the ETC in 2017 & started looking for the best available XLR-V. 

Bill, I've never seen an Eldorado of that generation

with a vinyl roof and the side trim of the Biarritz.

I think it much improves the overall design.  I didn't

know that the Biarritz package was even offered on

that style of Eldorado.

And your Cadillac XLR looks good, too.  That's a

model that is already becoming collectible in Cadillac clubs.

• Thanks 1

On 1/17/2020 at 4:16 PM, victorialynn2 said:

I like my 2015 Tundra. My son tried to talk me into trading it in and even brought me to a Toyota dealership one time. I just don’t like most modern cars, so this short old lady has stuck with the 2015 Tundra that I have to jump up into because I don’t have running boards. 

Looks like you need a set of Westin running boards for your Tundra. That is one of the first things I bought for my Tundra. I looked at a lot of running boards and settled on these because I often wear work boots and these running boards have plenty of room between the running board and the rocker panel on the truck.

My 2012 Tundra had the mounting points in the rocker area from the factory which made it EASY to screw in the bolts that hold the running board bracket to the frame. Buy a set of these and your son could EASILY put them on for you in and hour or so.

The next vehicle I may look to acquire is the 3rd Generation Toyota Tundra rumored to be released in 2022. From what I understand Toyota is considering a number of changes that will SIGNIFICANTLY INCREASE, Towing, Cargo and Tongue weight capacity. Other changes may include a SIGNIFICANT INCREASE in MPG compared to the current Tundra (potentially as much as DOUBLE the current model). There is a LOT of talk about a Hybrid version of the Tundra and possible a Plug-In Hybrid version. If Toyota can solve the engineering challenges of a Hybrid and/or Plug-In Hybrid Tundra at a reasonable price this might be my next vehicle.

A Plug-In Hybrid version with enough EV range to get me to work and maybe back is very attractive. Especially if it will charge using a normal 110V power source overnight (like Toyota currently offers on their other Plug-In Hybrid models). Then I could retire my driver commuter car and save all the fuel, maintenance and insurance costs that vehicle. Should be VERY interesting to see what the new Tundra will have to offer when it comes out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

You probably noticed that I was trying to be funny.  Perhaps I failed again. Although I have been told that I am trying...

No, I was agreeing with you when you said;

.Padgett,  did I miss something?  Jeep has a one million mile warranty  that lasts for 87 years?  Might be enough to make me reconsider my self imposed lifetime ban on Chrysler products.   Maybe

2 hours ago, Bills Auto Works said:

For this thread, I will consider modern cars 2000 & up. There is pretty much only one car since 2000 that I absolutely love (not counting $3-400K Super cars) & I finally purchased it almost 2 years ago.

In 2004 when the 1st Cadillac XLR came out, I immediately fell in love with the body style & the retractable hardtop.It was built in Bowling Green at the Corvette Plant & is on a Corvette Chassis with all the Cadillac toys. At the time I was driving a 97 El Dorado ETC with the Barritz package as my summer, out to dinner, date , dry road car & was very happy with it, The XLR was using the same Northstar engine which ran really good in the ETC (310HP). Unfortunately I had just purchased this house land & shop, so another toy was not in the cards as I was also pouring money into the shop to make it the way I wanted.

Fast forward a couple of years & Cadillac came out with a limited production XLR-V with a different Supercharged engine...I was drooling but didn't want to be the one to spend the 100k+ & take the depreciation hit, so I waited. I sold the ETC in 2017 & started looking for the best available XLR-V. About a year & a half later this one finally came up, never damaged, original paint, never in snow or salt, etc. I jumped on it & will probably keep it for many years!

2007 Cadillac XLR_V  Roadster with retractable hardtop & an all aluminum Supercharged V-8 443 HP stock 30,000 miles. Production of this year "V" optioned cars is a little over 400

God Bless

Bill

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/nationwide-single-car-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

P0003678 (800x536).jpg

IMG_20180603_165044292_HDR (640x360).jpg

IMG_20180603_165053777 (640x360).jpg

IMG_20180604_094801479 (640x360).jpg

IMG_20180604_094751690_HDR (640x360).jpg

IMG_20180604_094837187_HDR (640x360).jpg

Great looking cars! although I prefer the clean look ( JMO ) on the Eldorado. I remember when they came out, and like all manufacturers we bought a few of them and evaluated and dissected them.

One of the things that I really liked is how the "C" pillar came off;

Related image

Compared to the car above this car below add on treatment compromised the look designers originally went for.

1999 Cadillac Eldorado (CC-939973) for sale in Crofton, Maryland

• Like 1

4 hours ago, charlier said:

Looks like you need a set of Westin running boards for your Tundra. That is one of the first things I bought for my Tundra. I looked at a lot of running boards and settled on these because I often wear work boots and these running boards have plenty of room between the running board and the rocker panel on the truck.

My 2012 Tundra had the mounting points in the rocker area from the factory which made it EASY to screw in the bolts that hold the running board bracket to the frame. Buy a set of these and your son could EASILY put them on for you in and hour or so.

The next vehicle I may look to acquire is the 3rd Generation Toyota Tundra rumored to be released in 2022. From what I understand Toyota is considering a number of changes that will SIGNIFICANTLY INCREASE, Towing, Cargo and Tongue weight capacity. Other changes may include a SIGNIFICANT INCREASE in MPG compared to the current Tundra (potentially as much as DOUBLE the current model). There is a LOT of talk about a Hybrid version of the Tundra and possible a Plug-In Hybrid version. If Toyota can solve the engineering challenges of a Hybrid and/or Plug-In Hybrid Tundra at a reasonable price this might be my next vehicle.

A Plug-In Hybrid version with enough EV range to get me to work and maybe back is very attractive. Especially if it will charge using a normal 110V power source overnight (like Toyota currently offers on their other Plug-In Hybrid models). Then I could retire my driver commuter car and save all the fuel, maintenance and insurance costs that vehicle. Should be VERY interesting to see what the new Tundra will have to offer when it comes out.

Well I don’t have the money while I’m paying my late father’s bills and my son lives cross country, so I will continue to jump. 😂 Thanks for the info though, may come in handy when I settle his estate. 

The Hybrid sounds interesting, but I have a policy to not get the first year of any major change that significant in an auto. I will let someone else iron out the bugs. Should you get one, let us know what you think. 👍

4 minutes ago, victorialynn2 said:

The Hybrid sounds interesting, but I have a policy to not get the first year of any major change that significant in an auto. I will let someone else iron out the bugs. Should you get one, let us know what you think. 👍

Having been in the industry there are pros and cons to that theory. Many time engineering puts everything they deem necessary into a new production model only to be taken away at a later time as cost cutting measures. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pfeil said:

Having been in the industry there are pros and cons to that theory. Many time engineering puts everything they deem necessary into a new production model only to be taken away at a later time as cost cutting measures. 

That’s something I hadn’t considered. My concern is having expensive repairs since I’m not handy with mechanics and have no friends that are. With today’s cars, it probably doesn’t matter much though because I’d imagine there are not too many serviceable parts?

29 minutes ago, victorialynn2 said:

That’s something I hadn’t considered. My concern is having expensive repairs since I’m not handy with mechanics and have no friends that are. With today’s cars, it probably doesn’t matter much though because I’d imagine there are not too many serviceable parts?

Well you are right about serviceable parts going away. It's more of a parts replacement scenario. When I got started technicians could go to the parts counter and get parts for a starter or generator- ( see how far I go back ) . Brake systems the same way, I don't know of anybody in the field ( dealerships ) that are rebuilding brake master cylinders, calipers, drum brake wheel cylinders. In new cars and trucks that I'm familiar  the front and rear wheel bearings are a sealed unit so you no longer have to clean and repack and most importantly INSPECT wheel bearings and replace the grease seals every 12-15 K miles, so when they go bad is when you replace the units although some are replace on a mileage basis- some cars 30K others 60K, I have some of my old cars well over 100K with original bearings, why? because you are able to clean, inspect, grease and set the bearings load ( Torque load).

Why all this parts replacing instead of rebuild things? Probably has something to do with the level of competency. Most bright kids don't want to get into the business. Getting your hands dirty isn't a virtue. This is true of all the trades. This level of work is beneath them.

As far as expense to the owner I do see advertisements concerning repair insurance that you might consider.

• Like 1

@Pfeil, those extended warranties are almost 100% profit because they tend to be written so that they don’t effectively cover much. I used to work in the service department at an RV Dealer and with the cost of repairs on those, and seeing that some of the policies have pretty good coverage, that would be the only warranty I’d purchase. My mother, who is a CPA said, put all your money in an account that you’d spend on premiums and inside yourself. Of course that’s easier said then done. 

As as far as the repair issue, I’d say profits drive that. They want people to go to mechanics and especially dealerships,  not fix them themselves. 

26 minutes ago, victorialynn2 said:

@Pfeil, those extended warranties are almost 100% profit because they tend to be written so that they don’t effectively cover much. I used to work in the service department at an RV Dealer and with the cost of repairs on those, and seeing that some of the policies have pretty good coverage, that would be the only warranty I’d purchase. My mother, who is a CPA said, put all your money in an account that you’d spend on premiums and inside yourself. Of course that’s easier said then done. 

As as far as the repair issue, I’d say profits drive that. They want people to go to mechanics and especially dealerships,  not fix them themselves. 

Sorry, that was the best I could offer up.

• Thanks 1

See the source image

2009 Saturn Sky Turbo in Sunburst Yellow.   My favorite modern orphan.  Probably hard to get out of at my age with two new knees.

But I still like the looks of it, and they are fun to drive with stick shift.

23 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

Well I don’t have the money while I’m paying my late father’s bills and my son lives cross country, so I will continue to jump. 😂 Thanks for the info though, may come in handy when I settle his estate. 

My Father used to say you should never get anything in the first year of manufacture.  Wait to see if anyone dies from it first.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bills Auto Works said:

Isn't that the truth! My XLR-V was $107K new & I paid less than half with 30,000 miles on it!

God bless

Bill

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/nationwide-single-car-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

Bill, a perfect example of this was watching Barrett -Jackson this time around with the high end cars.

• Like 1

If you calculate the inflation paying $9000 for mine at 15 years old was about like the guy who bought the Duesenberg J in 1950.

Sticker-1.thumb.JPG.bb027b51012d498d5bf3a2655896608d.JPG

1312370690_001(5).thumb.JPG.8e1e3b645949d5aa98f3063d29d5d613.JPG

Two years in a couple of weeks and I love it. Self-maintained so far. I can't think of anything that I would not fix if it broke.

Bernie

12 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

Two years in a couple of weeks and I love it. Self-maintained so far. I can't think of anything that I would not fix if it broke.

Bernie

While most of stuff can be fairly easy, with special tools at times, when it comes to the fickle electronics and the trans you'll most likely have to bring in outside help.

My brother in law had a 2003 745 Li and now has a 2015 750 Li.

He had to get rid of the 2003 when the trans started acting up.

But instead of having a BMW dealer doing all 4 brakes for $2,400 I did them for around $400 in parts using Akebono pads, new rotors and new wear sensors.

The 7 series is built like a tank and sure drives nice for such a big car.