2020 - 2020 mile challenge

JohnD1956

1 hour ago, gungeey said:

WAY behind schedule with all the craziness, got a miles update...500 so far ...

april4.jpg

75600 miles.jpg

Nice progress, and great picture!  I love those 140 MPH speedometers! 

• 2 weeks later...

My 1991 Roadmaster Estate Wagon turned over 250,000 miles today.  I bought it with 103,000 miles on it in 2008.  It has been to the BCA Nationals in Flint, MI (2008), Colorado Springs, CO (2009), Aimes, (2010), Concord, NC (2012), and Midwest City, OK (2019) where it won an Archival award. The 305 ci (5.0 Liter) engine and transmission have had no major repairs, and the interior is still very presentable.

249999 Miles.jpeg

250000 Miles.jpeg

20140806_201801.jpg

Edited by TxBuicks (see edit history)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Took this one for gas today.  128 miles since the beginning of the year. I'll clock in at 225 miles between the 3 of them so far. 

20200425_140757.thumb.jpg.a7cf75324295faf62e83ac0a2b79b7ec.jpg

Was a fun drive through the hills of our town and wound up next to the rails.  The engineer tooted the train's horn when he saw I was taking pictures.   😁

20200425_134442.thumb.jpg.b42d1073151356e646854e6076996ec2.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't even backed the car out of the garage since I posted the odometer photo back in March. All gassed up and no place to go. Needless to say my trip to South Bend and Auburn is off until next year. Maybe I'll add the National Meet in Ohio to my route next year.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ted sweet said:

with no shows or cruise nights i will be lucky to hit 500

It will be a challenge this year.  However one side benefit for now is the lack of traffic on the local roads.  It has been nice to get out with the cars and not be tailgated or unsafely passed, and then robbed at the gas pump. 

There may not be any cruise ins but there are plenty of evenings to go for a cruise. After all, every car was originally built to be driven.  And we all know the damage stagnated vehicles face. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JohnD1956 said:

It will be a challenge this year.  However one side benefit for now is the lack of traffic on the local roads.  It has been nice to get out with the cars and not be tailgated or unsafely passed, and then robbed at the gas pump. 

Challenging year is right John...

However, to your statement above, since our P M has started to open a few things up some the traffic volume in town is more like it was back in February. Maybe it is lighter out in the County but with Chryslers going back into production this week will bet the commuters are hitting the bricks anxious for that full pay cheque again. (can't blame them for that)

As to the driving habit's I've experienced...

I missed the memo stating that the Rules of the Road during this pandemic have been rescinded like stopping fully at stop signs or red lights, totally ignoring the speed limits, cutting across three lanes (at high speed last minute) and other infractions!

Panic stops are suggesting I need to do a brake inspection!

I'm sure I sound like Wendy Whiner here but the gas prices are going up!

Four weeks ago I paid 63 cents per litre for regular and finally had to fill up again this week.

It was 93.9 per litre yesterday! The 75 bucks it cost me only put just over half a tank in my F-150  where it only cost me 68 dollars to get a full tank last time!

And the price of a barrel is at what?

Collusion and gouging isn't dead yet!~

Now, if I can just get back to the Special...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK, the weather has been uncooperative here.  I tried to put a couple miles on the Special Wagon and it acted like it was out of gas (it was not) so back to the barn with that.

Got a couple days driving with the GS California in April.  Garage is jammed up - cars in "pole position" are inoperable now.   I'm lucky to have these challenges!

Here is the latest tire/wheel test on the 64 LeSabre Wagon though.  

IMG_1563.jpeg

• Like 5

Finally got the Electra out of the garage this week after completing the Heater Core replacement, with some other jobs "while I was there", and getting the Chevelle out of the way.  Mileage start is an even 77,770 miles.   Unfortunately, I only got 3 miles before the car started idling very roughly and the HOT light coming on... according to my infrared thermometer, the car wasn't hot at all, running about 185* :blink:.  Limped it back to the garage and will investigate more fully this weekend.  if I can't find the issue, look for  new thread in the post war - technical forum asking for help! 

IMG_5882.jpg

Edited by dmfconsult (see edit history)

Adding 243 (270 - 10% for incorrect odometer)   more miles to my 365.  Total so far 608 miles.  Much easier when one adds the mileage from multiple cars! 😁

20200525_135510.thumb.jpg.038184740a0bfe1c9a3e1c60d1c89670.jpg

Among the places visited were the National Cemetery in Saratoga NY 

DSC00416.thumb.JPG.2796696fd96d06e433888168f8c9c418.JPG

And

20200524_185239.thumb.jpg.30956e9d3c39cf877bbb3dab01bb848f.jpg

The '56 is running fantastic!  Probably due to that steering wheel replacement last year., the horn that works, and of course, the repair of that inadvertent vacuum leak...

20200524_191026.thumb.jpg.b8c2976ba46b100e2644769647ed02f9.jpg

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)
  • Like 5

After having to replace the pts. and condensor setup in the Buick, she's up and running well.

I managed to meet up with the local aaca chapter who was sponsoring a 'social distancing" cruise. Since I live in the middle of god's country, I had to drive about 30 miles to get to where the meet was starting. We met at a local truck stop near the intersection of Rt 80 and drove through Newton Falls, Ohio. The town with zip.......44444, and and a great covered bridge. Finished up with an ice cream stop.

I drove a bit over 100 miles all told, with the car running great. I think that makes my total around 160 miles so far. Got to work on that, for sure.

I'm not pleased with how the car is steering though. Too much wandering in the steering. I've got to get back under it and check it out.

Bill

IMG_1439.JPG

IMG_4711.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Adding close to 180 more to advance to 1,320 for this year. 

20200710_120333.jpg

So far, the more the '56  is used the better it seems to run.  And the horn is really awesome now too...lol

• Like 4

It's good to check in and see you are exercising and enjoying the collection John! 

This year is a bust for me on the challenge until sometime after Labour day earliest but enjoying hearing about every one's getting out.

Keep it coming gang!

Edited by dei (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Things have slowed down a bit. Basically the cars are all dressed up with no place to go.  But can add 126 more miles to my total with the Queen.  Puts me at 1,446 for now. 

20200713_131426.jpg

• Like 3

7/23/20...Took the dust cover off the Reatta in anticipation of attending a local cruise-in.  Heat index went up to 97 degrees with humidity at 71...also started to rain.  Got notified the cruise-in was being canceled.  So, dust cover went back on and I walked back into the nice and cool a/c house.  Also, I'm within walking distance to the ocean but no ocean breeze help since its all blowing west to east.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I keep neglecting to note the mileage at the first of the year, but I have for the last 30 years been recording the mileage right before heading for a national meet in June or July.  Usually we do 5000 to 7000 miles.  Last year with the meet only 500 miles away, I barely did 3000 miles and this year looks like much less on that car.  I guess I could cheat and add in the miles of the rest of the herd, which combined would maybe be another 2000 miles.

• Like 5

Adjusting for speedometer error and adding 144 miles to my season total. New total 1590 so far. Wish I could be like Willie...but still pleased with all the cars so far this year. 20200730_200007.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

20200820_195143.jpg

+100 miles on the '56.  Grand total now 2,459.   I am laughing at myself for forgetting the challenge was for 2,020 miles.  So i have crossed the line.  And today i realized that I am kinda close to making the 2020 challenge in the '56 by itself.  I started with 138,432. Currently its at 140,132.  With my 10% correction that puts me at 1500 miles in just that car so far this year. So it may be possible for me to cross the 2020 line again this year.  Well,  gives me something to shoot for. 

20200820_164310.jpg

Go Buick!😘

• Like 6

John...Good God Gert!    Diane and I only come close to 3K per year mileage with our daily driver!!  I think we're going to have to get out more often or at least drive around the block a whole bunch. 

• Haha 2

I know what you mean @dship   If I recall correctly I have not put much more than 2,300 on the Regal between annual inspections this year.  However I have more than 5K on the 92 Wagon which, despite inoperative AC, is still a lot of fun to drive.  

• Like 1

Just now, Bill Stoneberg said:

Y’all need to get to a state with some room to it.  It’s easy for us down here to put mileage on our daily drivers. 100 miles to see Some of my  friends, 50 miles to a big city, 400 or 500 miles to get out of the state depending if you go east or west.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...