2020 - 2020 mile challenge

JohnD1956

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/24/2020 at 5:20 PM, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Well, dang. I was going to be "TOP DOG".  Guess I better get busy.  Just over 3000 by ten.

Ben

Well, you have a little time to catch up.. I have about 500 miles to go before I hit my 4040 mile goal, just hit a snag.

Heard a little pig squealing coming out of the engine compartment this week, has a bit of time to take a look and found a case of water pumpus failure-itis..

Got the pump out in about 2 hours, now I wait for the mailman. Will reinstall the original fuel pump that I rebuilt as long as it's staring me in the face, too.

Take advantage of your free time Ben!

water pump2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

OK.. the pump has been in, thought I would get the radiator recored as long as it was out ( I was planning to have it done over the winter as there was a little slight seepage and it was slightly buckling on the sides , I was promised quick turnaround etc etc)

This is becoming a rich mans hobby$$$$$ anyway will buckle this up and be driving again this w/e..

rad1.jpg

rad2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Any further driving of these three in 2020 won't amount to much more than a few miles.  So with that I am ready to tally my results for this year.

20201212_105929.jpg

The 56 started with 138432.  As of 12/12 it is here.  So that one went 2021 miles less my 10% correction = 1819 approx.

20201108_161205.jpg

The GS started at 59502 and ended here on 11/8.  At this point the 2010 Diehard battery was giving me some problems so it hasn't moved beyond these 728 miles.

20201124_134059.jpg

The Queen started the year at 109094  and ended here on 11/24  for a total of 760 miles .

My final tally for the year is 3,307, which I am satisfied with considering there wasn't so much to actually do this past year.  

Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, and looking forward to a Happy New Year in 2021!

• Like 8

Well, I didn't come anywhere close to 2020 miles for the year.  Due to no BCA meet, very few/no car shows, or cruise-ins, my 1991 Reatta only logged 370 miles for the year.  I know its not a Buick, but if I'm allowed to cheat and include my 2000 Eldorado at 889 miles, I still don't come anywhere near the 2020 miles....only 1259 miles.  Next year I do hope to drive to the 2021 combo BCA meet, though.    

• Like 3

I took the Skylark out yesterday for its final ride of 2020. They'll be salting the roads today as we're getting our first taste of Winter precipitation. This year was a bad news/good news year for the mileage challenge. The bad news is that I didn't make the mileage goal. The good news is that I put more miles on the Skylark this year than in any other single year since I bought it in 2014: 1,099 miles.

• Like 4

On 12/16/2020 at 9:30 AM, gungeey said:

Storm coming tomorrow, last hurrah today... barring aliens landing will be at it again next year God willing.

Last20.jpg

We love driving to Woodstock, CT as well. Nice place for a picnic.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

Woodstock CT sounds like a nice place to meet for lunch one day

It’s a great town to break down in, the Fire Department has a nice tool box and the guys were great. 👍

I was a passenger......wasn’t my car. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

With this year coming to a fast close my participation in the 2020 Challenge was a total BUST! Zero, Nada, Zilch!

I did it to myself more than anything else having dug into the dash hoping to replace the headlight switch, speedometer, radio and the lower padded piece next to the glove box last winter for the 2020 Meet in Cleveland.

Then, the pandemic hit and well, with this and that closed for the year and work literally drying up I honestly got depressed and let things sit... feeling like, Why bother?

Well, I was able to keep her connected up enough to start her up a few times and Wednesday I decided to fire her up again to keep the oil and gas moving.

IMG_8294.thumb.JPG.d8701e7f5e96242156918bef87bab233.JPG

Once her fuel came up to the carb she fired right off and I set things to a fast idle till feeling the heat come up.

IMG_8291.thumb.JPG.d29bc8bc6bf0c466fe7d4d0634ab9478.JPG

Going to try and get things back in order in the new year as time will allow and keep fingers crossed we may ALL meet in either Show in 2021.

• Like 3

Our '37 Roadmaster did a bit less than 500 miles for all od 2020, so far, and likely won't add more than a few miles during this last week.

At least we got out of the garage if only for those few miles.

• Like 4

With 2020 coming to a close, I have to report my mileage for the 2020 Challenge.

My Buick Electra comes in at 423 miles and my 28 Whippet comes in at 500 feet (not counting the numerous driveway miles). It's four miles to go around the block in my neighborhood, so I didn't risk it yet. Nothing but cows, soybeans and corn around me.

IMG_5053.jpg.3e167713840f257af36fc52bd958d98f.jpgIMG_4468.jpg.8e573af43eba02b7994e2a27493ed109.jpg

After getting new tires and a drag link replacement, I didn't get her out too often.

The Whippet just had it's maiden drive after a total engine rebuild and rewiring. It performed well but the cold weather set in too quickly this month for me to get any more miles on it.

Hopefully we get a warm spell in January or February so I can be out there for sure.

Can't wait for the 2021 Challenge.

Thanks John,

Bill

• Like 2