Foreshadowing the Future- State of the Old Car Hobby 1972

MarkV

I found this in my grandfathers books, it would explain why he purchased the 48 Lincoln around this era! It’s so funny all of your 50s and 60s car collector’s cars aren’t considered collectible and never will be! I believe this foreshadows excellently what many of you feel about 70s to 90s cars which are 20 to 50 years old. Imagine a 48 Continental was 24 years old at this point when the book was printed!

0124653E-C5A9-4153-9305-34C5672A5F6E.jpeg

44D98B6B-E0A0-4680-8212-3F21AB171A1A.jpeg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, GregLaR said:

When my neighbor's Prius makes the list of collectables, I'm jumping off a bridge. 😄

Each automotive interest group and their subsets have a predictable set of values that are imposed on anyone showing an interest. (Read the Forum).

The Prius group would wonder why anyone would even own more that one energy powered vehicle and do their best to legislate regulations and restrictions upon anyone of with a different thought. THAT's why the bridge is an option.

I'm going back to the topic of a Ford with a Chevy engine. Thinking about the intolerance of Prius owner's is too much for a church day.

Bernie

Bernie as I read your post about the Prius group I had to chuckle. A friend of mine has a Prius parked between his 32 Lincoln and E Type Jaguar both V12's

Says he has to drive the Prius to be able to afford to put gas in the other two, they average about 7 MPG.  The sacrifices we make😀

9 minutes ago, JAK said:

Says he has to drive the Prius to be able to afford to put gas in the other two, they average about 7 MPG.  The sacrifices we make😀

That is similar to the wealthy Pig Farmer who let his pigs ride in the back seat of his brand new Rolls Royce.   When asked by more than a few why he'd let his dirty pigs ride in a Rolls Royce, he'd reply, 'The Pigs paid for it!!'

Craig

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JAK said:

Bernie as I read your post about the Prius group I had to chuckle. A friend of mine has a Prius parked between his 32 Lincoln and E Type Jaguar both V12's

A filler until he gets the rest of the set?

My 12 is parked closest to the door.

002.thumb.JPG.ef71fe5c6636070443bd628947b67a7e.JPG

I'd start a "Go Fund Me Account" for gas before I'd park a Prius in the garage. Tell him that in your best manner of fact way. Time it just right and you might get him to blow coffee out of his nose.

Bernie

Edit- Oh, oh, oh--- this one.

image.png.092e4df0120ee0f72701b7be74da0c79.png

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

Interesting to see that even in 1972 the focus is starting to shift to what cars a person can make money on. The 70's became a decade of very high inflation. I wonder how much actual profit was made as opposed to just keeping up to the loss of purchasing power after inflation was taken into account ?

Greg in Canada

1 hour ago, 1912Staver said:

Interesting to see that even in 1972 the focus is starting to shift to what cars a person can make money on. The 70's became a decade of very high inflation. I wonder how much actual profit was made as opposed to just keeping up to the loss of purchasing power after inflation was taken into account ?

Greg in Canada

I think it was 1971 - 72 when the highest price paid for a car at auction arrived at the shop. I looked at a coworker and asked how someone could come up with $65,000 to spend on a car? Bob 

5 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

I think it was 1971 - 72 when the highest price paid for a car at auction arrived at the shop. I looked at a coworker and asked how someone could come up with $65,000 to spend on a car? Bob 

Ha ha! Yes, the context of time. In '73 I was pumping gas at the local Chevron. Two dollars was a very common amount to buy. One day this gigantic motorhome pulls in towing a boat. I filled the two tanks on the motorhome, then a large on board tank in the boat and a couple jerry cans. I remember the manager and both mechanics coming out to see the gas pump turn over to 4 zeros when it hit $100! The pumps did not have the 3rd position for the hundred dollar point. We couldn't believe someone would spend that much on gas! 

You are right Greg.

It takes 4.5 of those hundred dollar fills for me to drive my duramax powered Jayco class c from Denver to Orlando.

Then another 4.5 to get home two weeks later. Point nine K round trip, but think what we save on hotels and meals says mom................DUH ?????????????

Mike in Colorado

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, George Albright said:

Junk will always be junk. Look at the quality of 1980s cars  even in like new condition. Like new junk. 

Exterior paint finish had come a long way since the 1960's.  Go to the autowreckers today, the paint still shines on most of those 80's and 90's cars.

Craig

• Like 1

1 hour ago, George Albright said:

Junk will always be junk. Look at the quality of 1980s cars  even in like new condition. Like new junk. 

well according to the article junk will always be junk in regards to postwar cars haha

I might point out that 80s and 90s cars are still in daily service and can go hundreds of thousands of miles (3800 Buick’s, etc) without any major work.

15 hours ago, GregLaR said:

Ha ha! Yes, the context of time.

Here is, probably, one of the most valid reasons for the 1970's launch of the collectible car hobby: " It happened in 1971 when then president, Richard Nixon, closed the gold convertibility window and severed the link of the US dollar to gold’. " And a charity auction in a tent at Auburn, Indiyanna drew national attention.

Its never just one event and needs a more universal context to understand. As a friend of mine used to say "otherwise its just an anecdotal tale".

5 hours ago, ericmac said:

That's one of the beauties of the Gilmore Car Museum; they don't rope off anything.  They didn't even rope off the pair of 540K's that were there a couple years back. So what happened to the cars? Nothing. They were fine. 

After he downtown parking in Carmel this year at Pebble.......I had to paint TWO fenders from ladies pocketbooks...........and the car was a fresh 100 point restoration before I parked it. Don’t ask what it cost to fix.............the car won “Most Elegant Open” ..........nice to have your perfect car damaged. When I shoved the lady sideways who dragged the pocket book off the car she got pissed off.......so I offered  to let her to pay for the damage and she calmed down. People are plain stupid............

• Like 2

On 12/29/2019 at 9:13 AM, 8E45E said:

I have already seen them in old car museums, roped off so you can't touch it.

Craig

Prius.jpg

I was going to say because they are one of the first to be really successful they would be the first ones in a museum collection and now the above picture proves it. These cars will be highly collectible with the save the planet crowd. Moonbeam where are you?

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

1972 was the year I bought my first 1934 Ford, a 38 year old car in need of restoration.  The oldest car I had purchased at the time.

From then until 1979 they were "Antique Cars", then they became "Investments".  I still think of them a two lane road antiques.  I like

them better on two lane roads than in the garage.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, padgett said:

You realize that a Prius has a 1.5 liter gasoline engine ? Can see one blow up on Roadkill. How about a Smart Car (looks like a motorized wheelchair to me).

Oh I think a smart car will be in the museum too.