Foreshadowing the Future- State of the Old Car Hobby 1972

MarkV

16 hours ago, Pfeil said:

Actually it was a crash barrier test and no one was driving. The car hit a concrete barrier at 70mph.

I saw that test on one of the car channels a year or so ago.

It actually did fairly well. Not that I would want to be the dummy.

1 hour ago, JACK M said:

I saw that test on one of the car channels a year or so ago.

It actually did fairly well. Not that I would want to be the dummy.

Jack, after the conclusion of the test the analysis of the vehicle stated that if there were occupants in the vehicle that they would have died in the crash. Hard as it may be after seeing the windshield had not popped out. Even so that little car is probably much safer than many of our seat/shoulder belt and much larger antique cars right up to airbag regulation vehicles in most cases.  

I've been in AACA long enough to remember the panic when the 1955-1958 years were accepted (they added 2 years each year to move from a 35 year to 25 year cut off) and when the 1965 Mustangs were accepted.  Major panic in both of those years that the club would be run over by both makes.  It never happened.  Great each new year of AACA cars with open arms.

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 7:03 PM, 61polara said:

I've been in AACA long enough to remember the panic when the 1955-1958 years were accepted (they added 2 years each year to move from a 35 year to 25 year cut off) and when the 1965 Mustangs were accepted.  Major panic in both of those years that the club would be run over by both makes.  It never happened.  Great each new year of AACA cars with open arms.

I remember around 1972, Richard Langworth started up the Milestone Car Society, which was basically a postwar continuation of 'significant cars' from 1948-1964 where the CCCA left off prior to the second world war.  As I recall, before he extended it to 1970, they would not accept Mustangs as they were technically 1965 model year cars.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)