Is incompetence now running the World ? Belgian Army redesigns Armoured Cars now soldiers cannot fit into them

Mark Gregory

This seems to be on going all over the World. In Toronto they designed new subway cars that can derail on tight curves and are too high for the boarding platforms. 

When I hear these stories I really Appreciate how smart people were in WW 2 without all the University education and Computers.

Belgium’s army is forced to use drivers no taller than 5ft 7in for its armoured vehicles after refit reduced the size of the interior (and the typical Belgian is 5ft 10in!)

An expensive upgrade to a fleet of armoured vehicles in Belgium will disqualify most soldiers from using it because the modifications have drastically reduced the size of the interior. 

With some of the tallest people in the world, an average Belgian man measures 5ft 10in but the internal cabin will hold no one above 5ft 7in.  

In a drive to improve safety of their fleet of 44 Pandur armoured cars, the Belgian military spent £26 million but made them too small. 

image.png.8f98e9512bfe49fda469b07aa58d52b4.png

• Haha 1

Yes, because the military vehicles have always been wonders of ergonomic comfort for their drivers:

Sherman-Easy-8-tank-driver-cockpit.jpg

(that's a Sherman tank)

And have you driven, say, a Model A roadster pickup if you're taller than, say, 5-foot, 8-inches?

I bet if you asked the troops which they'd rather have, a comfortable seat or armor, I bet they'd choose the armor every time. I know I would even if it meant a cramped back.

Mark, you don't have to go to Belgium to see incompetence. The Long Island Railroad did three things. They purchased all new railroad cars, they rebuilt all the station platforms and they replaced all the track ties in the stations with cement ties. After all the alterations were finished, they discovered that there was a huge gap between the railroad car and the platform. The gap was so wide that over time, dozens of people fell thru it onto the track. But low and behold the L.I.R.R. can't figure what went wrong! They then came out with a "Watch the Gap" campaign and had decals attached to all the doors and also added 3" to every platform!

• Like 1

Mercer', I fully agree. Plenty of short folk around. The more serious problem is letting the bean counters call the shots. We all know what happened to the auto industry when the b.c.'s took over and surrendered to the Japanese engineers. And Boeing. As I have said before, Boeing used to be a Seattle company run by engineers with highly experienced pilots. Now a Chicago "Bean Bag" with highly experienced computer jockeys.      -    Carl 

• Like 3

I don't think was so much bean counters as blatant corruption and giving a company the contract they had business getting.

Same with the Long Island Railway.

You have backroom deals being made with no forethought about the outcome, other than lining someone's pockets.

But hey, it was on time and under budget. Maybe.

No, not really.

It was months late and change orders more than doubled the original contract.

11 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Reminds me of the hook and ladder procured by my home town, pride of the FD, except no one checked if it would fit in any of our 5 or 6 firehouses.  Nope! 🤔😁😁😁

Got me on that one, I thought you were going to say nobody in full gear could  fit in the bucket. Bob 

Military around the world are know for bad purchasing

Air Force squadron spends $56,000 on metal coffee cups

https://www.foxnews.com/us/air-force-squadron-spends-56000-on-metal-coffee-cups

But later

The Air Force Spent Over $300,000 on 391 Special Coffee Mugs

https://reason.com/2018/10/24/air-force-wastes-326785-on-hot-coffee/

Air Force paid about $10G for toilet seat cover

https://www.foxnews.com/us/air-force-paid-about-10g-for-toilet-seat-cover-report

NAVY PAYS $660 APIECE FOR TWO ASHTRAYS

https://www.nytimes.com/1985/05/29/us/navy-pays-660-apiece-for-two-ashtrays.html

Australia

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/seasprite-the-billion-dollar-blunder

https://www.news.com.au/news/bn-wasted-on-cancelled-seasprite/news-story/ff8a1c3ea5061fe39240795119a36cc2?sv=bc088187eca141afcf6387633a7ea19e

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jan/29/buyers-remorse-australias-sorry-record-on-defence-hardware

Helicopters

The US Seasprite naval helicopter was first flown in the 1950s and saw action in Vietnam. By the early 1990s the US had started to phase them out and even gave some away to countries such as Greece, Turkey and Thailand.

But that didn’t stop the Howard government signing a $746m contract to buy 11 of them in 1997. The project, which ended up costing closer to $1.4bn by the time it was scrapped by the Rudd government in 2008, involved transforming the antique helicopters into modern military hardware.

It didn’t really work.

In 2009, a report by the Australian National Audit Office found the Seasprite had a potential failure rate 20,000 times greater than the US aviation standard, and had a bad habit of making potentially “catastrophic” flight movements known has “hard overs”.

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

There have been examples of government overriding engineers for years. In the late 1930's the British government began considering designs for a four-engine heavy bomber. The Short brothers submitted the "Stirling" for approval. It was a powerful ,good handling aircraft but it had a very limited ceiling, due to the demand of the government that the wingspan be no more than 100 feet.This was so that it would fit into existing service hangers. To it's credit, it made a great glider tug and paratroop transport.

My father once told me about being out on a night training mission in a Stirling when the navigator got hopelessly lost.Running low on fuel, they were directed to land at the nearest base available. The next morning, they were surprised to find the huge beast surrounded by US service personnel and pilots..

They had landed at a US fighter squadron base !

Short_Stirling_bomber_N6101.jpg

Edited by J.H.Boland (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Fiero, SLK, Crossfire: cars you wear.

ps I really liked my Crossfire Coupe with 6 speed manual. Since I prefer a reclining driving position did spend time with a Sawzall and a die grinder reshaping the crossmember behind the seats (was not structural, SLK tonneau hinged there & Chrysler did not bother to remove). Once modified could drive for hours