Restoration of Victory Six sports roadster.

Mattml430

20 minutes ago, Ron Lawson said:

I had better get my ring into gear or you will have yours finished before me 

Hahah well mate I plan to tow it over to WA and see you in 22 for the DB rally so you better get your ass into gear mate. 😂🤣

It’s just over 12 months since I brought the car home I just realised. I’m hoping to get the body off in the next week or so , So I can get some paint on the chassis. It does need a bit of prep done before painting. I have to do the chassis section above the running board in the burgundy colour. I can then get the axles back on. I have a feeling the wheels are going to take a bit of time to get done. 
I fitted the crank in the engine block this afternoon and it seems to turn beautifully. I need to tension it up 100% yet but it’s nice so far. 

7 hours ago, nearchoclatetown said:

I am not sure how you other guys feel but I am wondering if Matt started his project 10 years ago. And he's just condensing it like a time lapse video to make us think he gets all this work done in a week. He could be driving by new year's eve. 

Na, that’s the speed he goes!  I’m trying to slow him down with helping out on my Dodge body but don’t think it will slow him:)

• Haha 1

Well I must say I was a little sad to see the 27 leaving home today to go the her new care taker. 
He’s in love with it so I know he will look after it really well. 
Had to make room for the roadster and help pay for the restoration of the  old girl. 

7C043438-35B6-4DAE-80DA-D9F6988737AD.jpeg

51974F54-E688-4809-99F9-BF07E7155068.jpeg

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, robert b said:

He has two to go on with , the Air Stream in the background . Boy have I got a book on them that you will go crazy over , haha 

The air stream shouldn’t be there Bob, It’s a customer’s and A post fell on the back corner and I removed the sheet and fixed it. Then on Saturday a guy came to pick it up with a tilt tray so I offered to take it out onto the road to make it easy for him. 
I hooked it up to the forklift and pushed it out the gate straight into the gate code post. Smashed the opposite corner in, so I’m in the middle of fixing that. Turned out to be a very non profitable job that one. I used some choice words on myself after that one.That’s the problem with working on your own you have to take the blame for everything. Lol 😂 

16 minutes ago, Bullfrog_eng said:

Looks good. Who supplied the gaskets Matt?

It came from auto surplus here in Melbourne but he gets in from someone in the states. I can ask him but whether he tells me or not I just don’t know. 

16 minutes ago, Mattml430 said:

The timing chain gasket and water pump gasket are incorrect but looks like the rest are ok. Bit annoying when it’s sold as a victory six gasket kit. It was almost $800. 😬

I bet that gasket set is for a DA Dodge Myers flog them for US$350 for the Victory 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ron Lawson said:

I bet that gasket set is for a DA Dodge Myers flog them for US$350 for the Victory 

I did ask him if he got it from Myers and he had never heard of them. Hmmm!!! 
You are correct though Ron because it has DA and victory six on the invoice. I’ll chase it up in the morning and see what he thinks. If it was $150 I wouldn’t worry but it wasn’t and it should be correct for that price. 

• Like 1

I see another talent being added to Matt’s repertoire - gasket making:)

one of my wife’s friends is in to craft work and she was telling me about a paper and card cutter that she has.  She can upload an image and it will cut the exact shape - she said it could do thick card so I may have to test her with some cork - just have to tell her it’s a Christmas card and just a coincidence that it looks like a water pump gasket;)

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ian_Greenlaw said:

Richbad,

My daughter just bought one of these....Its called a CRICUT....she can cut out all different types of things on it.

I'll see if she can do cork ones.....might be an opportunity for her !

They work great for gaskets.  I posted the process on my restoration thread.  The only problem you might have with cork is getting it off the sticky pad without damaging it.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2020 at 7:54 PM, Mattml430 said:

My engine gasket kit arrived today. All looks to be very good and complete. 

C0E75D7E-E6E5-42C1-ADEA-ED0D64DF5F82.jpeg

Placing the the felt strip for rear oil pan steal can be tricky. Proceed with caution. Notorious for dripping oil from rear of oil pan. I would very interested in procedure used since I will be replacing mine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stakeside said:

Placing the the felt strip for rear oil pan steal can be tricky. Proceed with caution. Notorious for dripping oil from rear of oil pan. I would very interested in procedure used since I will be replacing mine.

I read somewhere that it’s best to glue that in. I’ll have a look today I’m pretty sure it’s with all the information I printed out for the engine machining. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, stakeside said:

This is out of the 5book victory six CD. 

image.jpg

• Like 1

Came up with this brainwave at 12:30 the other night for holding the guards safely while working on them and painting them. Good to see the dodges are in our thoughts even while sleeping. I had to get up and draw it on a piece of paper so I didn’t forget about it. Jude just said nothing and shook her head. 
They are always a pain in the ass to hold properly while working on them. That’s the guards I’m talking about 😁

16D8EA32-70E5-4A93-A525-201DCF5CAC05.jpeg

A20907BF-5B3B-4F93-AD40-1DB8E5A8A431.jpeg

957A2184-CE8A-4901-8391-AF5E87B1EF66.jpeg

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, nearchoclatetown said:

What color will you paint the engine, Matt. I understand Victories came in a rainbow of colors.

It will be just the grey and black and a bit of Nickel here and there. Be like a dull  rainbow haha. 

Got my camshaft back today after having it reground so I have everything for the engine to go back together. Just need to find some time to do it. 
Just need to get my piston heights rite , balance it all and fit it together 

With some great pics and measurements from Teddy Levitt I was able to make the rumble seat lock. Worked really nicely. 
little bit of fine tuning on my hinge and it will be great. 
The screws will be replaced with rivets. 

5470C4E1-20B6-4510-AACC-37A1D91992B3.jpeg

838D7B6D-BCD1-492C-8562-2C6A8F8B1545.jpeg

Edited by Mattml430 (see edit history)
  • Like 3