Mattml430

Restoration of Victory Six sports roadster.

I was lucky enough to come across this beautiful old girl. ( wife has already named her Daisy). 
it’s an interesting build as it’s a timber frame with a budd body front, guards and side. We think it may of been supplied as a roadster to TJ Richards and a factory built Ute. The doors are a one piece pressing so haven’t been added onto. The Ute section had been screwed on through the top side beading. The rear sides had been cut above the guard’s and widened by about 2” a side.  I’m going to add the dicky seat back into it and make it back into the sports roadster it once was. 
This will be a pretty long Resto as I want to do everything as original as possible. There’s a lot of panel work to do but I’m looking forward to tackling all that. She has pretty good bones and most parts and panel’s are there. Bonnet, guards and sides are all reasonably solid. It should keep me busy for a few years. 

C752DE18-CEA3-4EBC-B225-7355026313BA.jpeg

B957C4BC-8E1A-4B77-BB1B-DA74FF2F0B62.jpeg

1FDC7397-53AF-467A-A0C2-FCD2F44A01EE.jpeg

• Like 3

Quick steam clean and empty out of old timber. 

D1A74C45-5214-44E1-995C-F3C633538DFA.jpeg

E84CCC22-0A8F-455C-8A58-52BA29C52124.jpeg

• Like 6

Xclnt. It is so nice to see a car here with the steering wheel where it should be! :) All power to your arm with the restoration.

Please work fast! I don't have a few years available to follow along.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

I’ll do my best Spinny. I’m very impatient when it comes to these old girls I just want to see them finished. 
wheels off today and a Deisel bath to get into all the nooks and crannies. Will be taking the body off this weekend I’d say. 

The US really missed the boat by not  building utes. They were way too late and too little when they started in the '50's.  But you must have the negatives reversed, steering is on the wrong side.

• Like 1

What a great project, Mattml430!  It will be a very beautiful car when you finish it.

There was a somewhat elderly gentleman whom I met at the 1986 DB Club national meet in Reno, NV in 1986 who had a sports roadster that was really beautiful.  Maybe somebody can tell me his name; I am sorry, but I don't remember it.  However, I think he was then a long-time member of the DBC.  In any event, his car was lovely and seemed very correctly restored, as far as I can tell.  So you might want to check to see if his car appears in any pictures that the DBC might have of their 1986 national meet.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, 22touring said:

What a great project, Mattml430!  It will be a very beautiful car when you finish it.

There was a somewhat elderly gentleman whom I met at the 1986 DB Club national meet in Reno, NV in 1986 who had a sports roadster that was really beautiful.  Maybe somebody can tell me his name; I am sorry, but I don't remember it.  However, I think he was then a long-time member of the DBC.  In any event, his car was lovely and seemed very correctly restored, as far as I can tell.  So you might want to check to see if his car appears in any pictures that the DBC might have of their 1986 national meet.

This car?

Picture 135.jpg

Picture 146.jpg

Picture 148.jpg

Picture 147.jpg

Picture 229.jpg

Picture 230.jpg

Picture 231.jpg

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, 22touring said:

Yes, I believe so, Keiser31.  Thanks a lot!

Owner is Bill  Gess a long time member of the DB Club. See your private message....

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 22touring said:

I have a friend in the club here that has one and from the day I cast my eyes on it it became my dream vintage car. I’m going to do my best to keep it as original as possible as a roadster not a Ute , even though it was probably a factory made Ute at some stage. 

2 hours ago, keiser31 said:

Owner is Bill  Gess a long time member of the DB Club. See your private message....

Thanks keiser it’s funny I came across that one while google searching the car. Mine was actually that colour originally also. I didn’t see that many pictures of it though so all the pictures I can get will help. It is beautifully restored when you see how it was when he got it. 
cheers. 

The picture Keiser posted are of Bill's car. But it now belongs to Dale, also a DBC member and of Canada. Not sure if he checks in here at all. 

• Like 1

There is also a gentleman by the name of Ted Levitt who owns one that came from this area....here it is next to one of my Dodge coupes.

post-37352-143138377747.jpg

• Like 1

John, once again your memory comes through. I forgot about Ted's, he lives in Maryland. BTW, there is a lot of Victory information on the DBC website in the Confidential Information and service bulletin pages. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nearchoclatetown said:

John, once again your memory comes through. I forgot about Ted's, he lives in Maryland. BTW, there is a lot of Victory information on the DBC website in the Confidential Information and service bulletin pages. 

Both of the cars I posted photos of used to belong to Niles Thomas. He was a good friend and used to live near me.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Got the body off this afternoon to reveille a bit of rust in the chassis. To be expected I guess seeing that it’s was a Ute. 
I can make all new bits for it where the floors go in and I’ll fabrication some new parts for the chassis. All very fixable and part of the challenge to get her back on the road. 
engine also turns over ok so at least that’s not seized. 

AC166881-A856-4422-BC69-4DE077D6B428.jpeg

D892E3F8-6599-4570-A87B-1F9E89881458.jpeg

• Like 2

Managed to get some chassis parts made today. Thought I’d make each new piece as I remove so I don’t loose or forget where they go. I’ll be replacing the top section of the chassis And down about 3”, that will remove the bulk of the rust out of it. It only needs replacing between the engine mount and front rear spring hanger. 

got no idea why they loaded upside down. 

5108671D-5A12-450D-B5AE-208184E782B6.jpeg

B4883A05-3508-4189-8426-E5FFF4CBBB50.jpeg

A0B29776-450C-4D76-8257-E6B978A31E94.jpeg

• Like 1

On 11/28/2019 at 3:32 PM, keiser31 said:

Both of the cars I posted photos of used to belong to Niles Thomas. He was a good friend and used to live near me.

It was Niles Thomas who owned it in 1986 when I saw it.  He drove it around in a big Ford van.

• Like 1