Restoration of Victory Six sports roadster.

Mattml430

I doubt I will ever spin it over with the crank handle probably because I’m way to lazy more than anything. I’m thinking I might nickel plate the crank handle and make a nice little holder out the front of the car just for keeps sake. I think it would look good. Any ideas on crank handle holders for out the front, As long as it’s neat and tidy. 

I decided today was dodge day Friday!! 
So I got stuck into the side repairs today and repaired all the rust along the bottom. Also got the other rear guard on and just sat and looked at this thing. 😁
They knew how to design cars way back then. 

B7D233AE-6B15-4342-8EC4-6662854E6916.jpeg

• Like 3

Only had half a dodge Friday today but got a few little jobs done. Made some new running boards so I can move forward to my front guards and get them positioned properly. Also made a template for my front windshield and aligned the posts to within a few millimetres from centre diagonally. Teddy Levitt is going to send me a measurement in a few days to get the exact height from the bottom pivot for me. 

96752747-51E4-4877-ACF4-06731781A9C6.jpeg

• Like 2

Thought I’d have a go at making my new bonnet today as the ones I have are a little average. Probably repairable but would never be able to get them perfect. 
I had to make a small brake press with a tapered V block in it to make the top bonnet crease. I did try to do it on my pan brake but I can’t get the crease to completely disappear at the end. 
once I put the crease in it I rolled it in the English wheel to get the side curve. I’m quickly learning slow and steady with the English wheel is the answer. Keeping each and every roll straight and parallel is also very important to keeping it straight. 
I’ve left the bonnet about an 1” longer at each end until I can put my radiator back in and the get it all lined up perfectly. I did have one practice run making a bonnet out of some scrap sheet and after that had a go at the real thing. I’m still not sure how I’ll do the piano hinge just yet I may just cut the old bead off the old bonnet and weld it to my new one. I think that will be the most successful. I’m pretty happy with how it came out , with a little fine tuning it should be good. 

my first attempt and practice run. 

BD4805CC-3D45-432C-AF1B-9D3BDBBECCF3.jpeg

Looks good mate - looks like an awkward shape to make.  Is it just the side hinges that are part of it or the middle one too?

Just had a look at mine and they look a pain to make. I wonder if the hinge was rolled first when they made them?

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, RichBad said:

Looks good mate - looks like an awkward shape to make.  Is it just the side hinges that are part of it or the middle one too?

Just had a look at mine and they look a pain to make. I wonder if the hinge was rolled first when they made them?

Thanks Rich, I would imagine the piano hinge would need to be rolled into it first and then folded under the bead once it was done. Very tricky to do, the machinery and equipment they made back then was quite amazing. 

I got my steering wheel glued up after dinner tonight so I’ll be excited to see how it turns out in the morning. 
The finger grips are on the inside circle of the victory wheel but I think the grips are better on the back. Can anyone tell me where there’s are please. On the back or on the inside?  
I have used some Jarrah with some fiddle back in the grain so I’m hoping it will look really nice once it’s clear lacquered. 
I saw this little trick on you tube too, to make the gear knob. It worked really well you just wonder how people come up with these ideas. It’s just a hole saw in the tool holder spinning in a drill and then you wind it in to the spinning timber. Presto you have a timber ball. Haha. 

A09F1EBD-52F6-4C57-AEF1-1F2A09B6F56B.jpeg

1000219B-90FA-4302-838E-3E6E22D4008F.jpeg

26BEBCE4-F2C4-48FF-97D5-3A1779341449.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mattml430 said:

I got my steering wheel glued up after dinner tonight so I’ll be excited to see how it turns out in the morning. 
The finger grips are on the inside circle of the victory wheel but I think the grips are better on the back. Can anyone tell me where there’s are please. On the back or on the inside?  
I have used some Jarrah with some fiddle back in the grain so I’m hoping it will look really nice once it’s clear lacquered. 
I saw this little trick on you tube too, to make the gear knob. It worked really well you just wonder how people come up with these ideas. It’s just a hole saw in the tool holder spinning in a drill and then you wind it in to the spinning timber. Presto you have a timber ball. Haha. 

A09F1EBD-52F6-4C57-AEF1-1F2A09B6F56B.jpeg

1000219B-90FA-4302-838E-3E6E22D4008F.jpeg

26BEBCE4-F2C4-48FF-97D5-3A1779341449.jpeg

This one has the finger grips on the inside of the rim....

Picture 147.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nearchoclatetown said:

Matt, that gear shift ball is pretty clever. I will have to try that. Could you show a few more pictures of how you made your steering wheel? 

Yes I can do I’ll do that today because I cut  enough to make 2 because I have another wheel. 

14 hours ago, nearchoclatetown said:

Matt, that gear shift ball is pretty clever. I will have to try that. Could you show a few more pictures of how you made your steering wheel? 

This is a bit of a run down on how I put them together. 
I start with 6 pieces of timber cut approximately to shape. I then mitre each end at 45degrees and fit them to a circular template. 
I then lay them flat and staple the joins to dry. After that I fit them to my wooden spoke wheel facing machine and router them perfectly round. With the victory wheel I round the inside edge first before glueing the 2 halves together, the joins in the 2 halves are offset to 30degrees of each other.  Once they are dry it’s just a matter of routing the rounded edges and finger grips. 
Hopefully the pictures will tell the story. 

EEBB92F3-7E87-4814-A471-D11DC3009773.jpeg

710E662E-238A-49A6-AE56-0E4DFE4593C4.jpeg

2 minutes ago, AussieBuick said:

Matt,

Great work on the steering wheel ,  could you post a photo of your  " wooden spoke wheel facing machine " ??

Thanks

Norm

This is the copy lathe I built for the spokes and the facing machine I made from an old lathe.

76CCABBB-4409-4B82-B476-B9C060613633.jpeg

98D2DF85-A0BA-4179-ABF7-19BB19367936.jpeg

48332E52-2E33-435A-91B0-F5D827A7F645.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Got the final coat of clear on my steering wheel today and also rebuilt my instrument cluster. I was very lucky to get a brand new sheet of decals for it of Pete that has help considerably with all my parts. He had them made a few years ago and they fit very well. I used the insides of a new temp and fuel gauge so they should hopefully work ok. My amp and oil gauge were salvageable and repaired up ok. 
It was quite fiddley painting all the little leaves in gold. 
Im waiting on a new casting for the inside of the speedo from vintage restorations. Should be around 4 weeks away. 

6263CB21-455D-4EEE-8386-01AE761806AA.jpeg

• Like 2

Got the other side of my bonnet done today and thankfully it turned out pretty much identical to the other side. Can be lucky sometimes. 
Also got my windshield surround made and fitted up. Teddy Levitt sent me some really great pictures of the inside fixings and close ups of the posts from every angle which made it a lot easier to make accurately. 

5B0CBB60-19B1-4ED5-8272-05C492353EF9.jpeg

F2F70B96-1E57-4972-A1F6-55C92183A461.jpeg

32B40E78-B064-4F1D-BDA0-3C3E2D88B49B.jpeg

78788E44-DFFA-4E54-8D50-E3E8AACB8798.jpeg

6589FC32-FFFA-4BBF-A08D-E650A515430E.jpeg

• Like 3

Bob has done an absolutely perfect job rebuilding my radiator. It’s better than new. 
It’s back in it’s little crate until I need it because Jude won’t let me put it in the lounge room. 

E56CB659-A7BF-4B6F-A338-ED810BBE91FA.jpeg

3CD46655-732F-4F40-A93B-E16F0A3D7092.jpeg

• Like 2

It looks fantastic! A real piece of art and workmanship!

I stored my radiator that Bob did for me in the bedroom until I was ready to install it. 

Sheryl was not impressed. But it looked so good and couldn't afford to damage it!

Terry

I should also mention that I have now stored the whole new interior to the 1955 Chrysler New Yorker in the bedroom and the  primed / hi filled front and rear guard to the 1927 Chrysler finer 70 roadster in the the study.  But I think Sheryl patience is getting very thin!  She is always on my back to get them out and finish the cars. The only thing that saves me is that she love the cars probably more than me! I just wish I had your skill and drive!

Keep up the great work and look forward in seeing the victory on the road!

Edited by aunty norm
Update (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

Art describes it perfectly Terry, the solder joins are so perfectly smooth and even. Jude didn’t even say anything to me she just looked at me and I knew the bedroom was completely out of the question. Lol

Got my first full coat of hi build primer on today and will be leaving it a couple of weeks to settle and sink rite back before sanding ready for the next coat of hi build. 

F7A2F3A7-F2E2-4FFE-B038-B23A1E1D132B.jpeg

D4D51624-79C6-4046-A597-9E89967446E3.jpeg

• Like 2