Restoration of Victory Six sports roadster.

Mattml430

Thanks Teddy , we have to except these sorts of problems with 90+ years old cars. I’ll get this engine together eventually. The 4 week Christmas break that the piston manufacturers had hasn’t helped much though. 
Your coupe is coming together so well it’s great to see. 

• Like 1

Valves are in and piston rings all gapped. Received all my new rings and c clips today. 
They were  going to take 2 weeks to sort the valves out to suit the collets so I ended up machining them myself. He told me that’s all he would be doing so I figured I could do that. I just did the identical to the originals. 
I’ve only got 2 pistons fitted so far and all is going well. Looks like I’ll be assembling my engine for Australia Day. 

02EE9201-C0CC-4480-A0C1-1829106B8414.jpeg

C66D2B97-E2AE-4928-9531-F8DE5FD64009.jpeg

48204B13-CCC6-4F90-BC54-FF6F32441F50.jpeg

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mattml430 said:

Valves are in and piston rings all gapped. Received all my new rings and c clips today. 
They were  going to take 2 weeks to sort the valves out to suit the collets so I ended up machining them myself. He told me that’s all he would be doing so I figured I could do that. I just did the identical to the originals. 
I’ve only got 2 pistons fitted so far and all is going well. Looks like I’ll be assembling my engine for Australia Day. 

02EE9201-C0CC-4480-A0C1-1829106B8414.jpeg

C66D2B97-E2AE-4928-9531-F8DE5FD64009.jpeg

48204B13-CCC6-4F90-BC54-FF6F32441F50.jpeg

Awesome! looks good mate.  Lots of oil on those moving parts!  You had your camshaft & followers re-ground didn't you?  May be worth getting some cam shaft assembly lube on it (not sure how important that is for these older engines but I've always done it to give them half a chance when you first fire them up).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mattml430 said:

Thanks for the tips mate I’ll definitely get some for it can’t hurt. She is definitely dripping in oil. 
you need an extra knuckle joint trying to put those little collets in. 

Penrite do some good stuff - nice and sticky.  I think I got mine from autobarn.  Yea, those collets are fiddly.  When I did mine I compressed the springs in the vice and used thin locking wire to hold them compressed.  Made fitting easy and then just cut the wire when they were in.  I’ve seen long levers designed for these old side valves which make it easy too but I wanted to get mine done:)

• Like 1

Does anybody know of or know anyone that is making the folding luggage rack. There is one on eBay at the moment but it’s not the victory six sports roadster type. I will attempt to make one if I can’t get one. 
Thanks guys. 
this is the picture of one that I’m after. 

7B23BDB1-0088-49AD-ADAC-11236F3B0066.jpeg

09738105-AC30-47CC-8F8C-75551A29C9EF.jpeg

A14AF22D-4032-456A-81E7-7A4683C4AF3A.jpeg

47 minutes ago, nearchoclatetown said:

Yes, I know someone that did make them. He had a cream and dark red sport roadster. I will check if he still makes them or has one. 

Oh!! thanks Doug that would be great. It will be a tedious thing to make. I couldn’t find those lock rings on DB’s site either. They must of gone. 
Im heading away this weekend to pick some bread new ones up. 

Edited by Mattml430 (see edit history)

My engine has gone together nicely except for a couple of little things. 
I did your trick Rich and forgot the flywheel bolts. 🙄 even after you told me not to forget the. 
And it seems I have the front shims in the wrong spot on the front of the crank. I put them where they were when I pulled it apart but they are in the wrong spot. So the timing chain cover needs to come off. I did set my end float at .004” before hand but mustn’t of had it all tight enough. 
Other than that everything else looked good and it feels nice turning over. 
Found a crack in my old oil pressure line while assembling it so very happy to find that before starting it. Lucky I had a spare. 

F964F658-D4F7-4ACD-B6FC-E02108B5FD5C.jpeg

AB38BF61-3964-49C2-859E-E3374CB63EBA.jpeg

• Like 3

Swapped the shims back to behind the big thrust washer an it turns over nicely once it’s tightened up now. 
makes me wonder how the old engine turned over freely as I put the shim in the same spot as it was originally. Anyway it would be no fun without a couple of hiccups. 😂

now just make a new timing cover gasket and back together. 

CB3FEAA5-4F6E-4565-8ADD-6A0B302AD713.jpeg

• Like 1

I purchased my Victory 6 in 1987.  It took me another 10 years to restore it due to work and family.  It is a mid 1928 131 series with the 21 inch wheels. I still enjoy driving the car. This picture was taken 2 years ago at a car meet in BC, Canada.

Displaying 1928 on bowen 2.JPG

6 hours ago, RichBad said:

Looks good mate!  Interesting with those shims, mine didn’t have any so must be a 6 thing. Where are they supposed to go - from the diagram it looks like they are for setting the timing sprocket position?

lucky with that oil tube!

Yes mate glad I found that split could of been a little devastating. 😳

There is a step down in the crank the exact same size as the shims. They take up the indifference between the crank and the front bronze bush. Seems to be turning over very smoothly now. 

1 hour ago, dlong said:

I purchased my Victory 6 in 1987.  It took me another 10 years to restore it due to work and family.  It is a mid 1928 131 series with the 21 inch wheels. I still enjoy driving the car. This picture was taken 2 years ago at a car meet in BC, Canada.

Displaying 1928 on bowen 2.JPG

Thanks Dlong , yes they are a great looking dodge but we are probably a little biased. 
I can’t see your victory the picture didn’t come up. 

1 hour ago, Mattml430 said:

Picked up some beautifully made lock rings over the weekend for the wire wheels. They are forged steel and then CNC machined. He doesn’t make them anymore but just had some left over in his shed. 

E0E4D2BC-F7B9-4F77-BE4D-AEFD6A3E3F88.jpeg

9F3E17FB-01CC-4065-A2DE-2F6A7893AE00.jpeg

That's awesome mate, especially with the state the rest of your wheels will be in - you'll be able to rely on these and they will be so much easier to finish than the others!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RichBad said:

That's awesome mate, especially with the state the rest of your wheels will be in - you'll be able to rely on these and they will be so much easier to finish than the others!

Absolutely Rich I think all they will need before nickel plating is a hit with a scotch Brit. They have been sitting in his shed for 16 years. 

• Like 2

On 2/1/2021 at 7:22 PM, Mattml430 said:

Picked up some beautifully made lock rings over the weekend for the wire wheels. They are forged steel and then CNC machined. He doesn’t make them anymore but just had some left over in his shed. 

E0E4D2BC-F7B9-4F77-BE4D-AEFD6A3E3F88.jpeg

9F3E17FB-01CC-4065-A2DE-2F6A7893AE00.jpeg

Phoaarr! nice one mate! They look fantastic!

• Like 1

Fitted my windshield this morning with the rubber Rich gave me which fitted perfectly thanks mate. 
went together really well but the dick on the end of the screwdriver turned it just a little to far and put a crack in the top corner. I cried a little... I made the screws for the pivot about a thread to long damn it. Anyway they tell me it can be repaired so hopefully it won’t be to noticeable. 
Otherwise Stu you might have to get some special little Dodge brothers club of Australia sticker made up that goes in the top left corner of all dodge club cars. 😁👍

5E76B5D1-4A71-4DE8-9334-C60AD931357C.jpeg

E94064C1-1D4D-433D-854A-4DC77E2F90A5.jpeg

63A1D645-9103-404F-88A3-7C66F6CBA592.jpeg

• Like 3

Rich brought his engine lift up for me today and gave me a hand to put the engine into the chassis. Made it so much easier with the 2 of us. 
Thanks Rich. 
Gearbox in next and tail shaft. 
I might just sit the body on then and try fire the old girl back to life. 

D30BF771-5300-4D68-A963-21F8659EAE41.jpeg

D3BC49AC-9525-4E04-8518-A8FB1A684E10.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mattml430 said:

Rich brought his engine lift up for me today and gave me a hand to put the engine into the chassis. Made it so much easier with the 2 of us. 
Thanks Rich. 
Gearbox in next and tail shaft. 
I might just sit the body on then and try fire the old girl back to life. 

D30BF771-5300-4D68-A963-21F8659EAE41.jpeg

D3BC49AC-9525-4E04-8518-A8FB1A684E10.jpeg

Looking great there guys A couple of questions Isn't the side plates on back to front I thought the flex pipe off the air cleaner went into the rear valve cover and are you going to put splash pans on between the engine and chassis

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ron Lawson said:

Looking great there guys A couple of questions Isn't the side plates on back to front I thought the flex pipe off the air cleaner went into the rear valve cover and are you going to put splash pans on between the engine and chassis

Yes they are the wrong way around I still need to do the final valve clearance and I only stuck them in there after I siliconed the cork to the plates so they can be removed easily, to do the valve clearance at anytime. 
Good to see your on the ball there Ronny. I don’t have splash plates for it, only the one between the radiator and engine. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mattml430 said:

Yes they are the wrong way around I still need to do the final valve clearance and I only stuck them in there after I siliconed the cork to the plates so they can be removed easily, to do the valve clearance at anytime. 
Good to see your on the ball there Ronny. I don’t have splash plates for it, only the one between the radiator and engine. 

Well ya better makem  I don't know what the Victory one's look like  Cobber What was the seal # that you put in the side of your M/C to prevent fluid from leaking around the shaft?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ron Lawson said:

Well ya better makem  I don't know what the Victory one's look like  Cobber What was the seal # that you put in the side of your M/C to prevent fluid from leaking around the shaft?

I’ll have to ask Pete he will know what goes there. The sedan doesn’t have them either. I put a normal oil seal on the shaft.