Cobra Grain roof material

46 woodie

Now that LeBaron-Bonney has closed can anyone recommend a supplier for Ford, "Cobra Grain" roof material in 66" width for a 46-48 Ford Station Wagon? I'm waiting for a reply from Cartouche, but have been informed they don't offer Station Wagon kits at this time.

There are several places I can get it in 60" width, however '41-'48 Ford Station Wagons need 66" wide. The material available from Mac's and other T and A suppliers is 60" wide. 

Wow Tom, that's a tough one. I've never seen it in brown. Once again, with LeBarron Boney gone, finding things that were once "off the shelf" is over. There were several roof materials in brown that you probably could have used, but now? I believe a gentleman that frequents this site was or is in the auto upholstery business might be able to help.

I echo what 46 woodie stated, I have never seen brown top material on a woodie in all the years I have been in the hobby ( since 1963) . I have always liked woodies a lot and for over 25 years owned a 1941 Packard "120" woodie wagon I restored and put a lot of miles on.

You may want to shoot trimacar a PM and see if he can point you in the right direction.

David has done many, many prewar and classic car interiors and tops.

I think he is at Pebble Beach this week so it may take him a little while to get back to you.

Thanks Restorer 32, In their catalog, Classtique has it in 64 and 1/2" width about an inch and a half too narrow. I'll send an E-Mail to them and see if they can provide it in the 66" width. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2019 at 9:23 PM, Walt G said:

I echo what 46 woodie stated, I have never seen brown top material on a woodie in all the years I have been in the hobby ( since 1963) . I have always liked woodies a lot and for over 25 years owned a 1941 Packard "120" woodie wagon I restored and put a lot of miles on.

From 1932 to 1940 Ford used brown top material on their station wagons.  Attached is a photo showing the original top material on an unrestored '36 Ford Station Wagon next to a black card for comparison. 

20190830_180837.jpg

thank you for posting this , still a bit difficult to see the brown do to the haze/dust/ fading (?) but just great to document that it was indeed used. Most of the station wagons I have seen had the top material replaced over the decades even by the mid 1960s!  I really appreciate your efforts to show all of us this and let us know what was there when new

Walt

This was the material present on this car when found in '59 and hasn't been touched since, so it wasn't likely replaced by that point given it's condition is consistent with the rest of the car.

The EV8 Judging Standards were the source for the above and go on to state that 1938 may also be green and 1941 to 1948 were black.

The material for the 1941 thru 1946 Ford Station Wagon roof, was "Brown Landau Grain, Deck Material, Ford Spec, M-2600-G, until about mid year 1946. The actual cut off date is unknown. Both brown and black was used from late '46 thru '48. HOWEVER, there is evidence on some original cars, that Black was used sporadically in the earlier years. Also, the earliest known publicity color photo of a 1946 Wagon clearly shows a black roof. If you are having your '41-'42 & early '46 car fine point judged, then I would do it in Brown, just to avoid controversy.

• Like 1

I posted above about brown cobra grain roof fabric. I contacted SMS and they sent me a sample of medium/dark brown long cobra grain vinyl on canvas. Exactly what I was looking for. 65 inches wide roll at $85.00 per yard. If it was 66" wide I could get away without seaming it. This is for the restoration of my 1940 Lasalle Woodie. Info in the National Woodie Club section on this forum. 

Any trimmer worth his salt could get an extra inch out of a vinyl material, if it's a multilayer top material it may be a little tougher.

I've heard SMS often says they have a material, but they actually are holding orders hoping enough demand is there to purchase a large lot of said material.  Good luck!

• Like 1

Hello Trimacar, The fabric backing is actually canvas. Can that be stretched also?  If it has to be seamed, how is it done? By stitching? or by heat sealing? How does the seam become waterproof? Your comment about SMS's instock availability concerns me. I have heard that many times about them. Is there some way to verify if they actually have the material in stock? This material is exactly what was on the car. Thanks, Tom

Hello Tom, other than some member literally going their facility and measuring it, I guess we have to take their word that they have the 66" material. The seams that I have seen are sewn, not heat sealed. Trim might have the answer on how to waterproof the stitching and needle holes, as leaking would concern me also. As for stretching, I have a small piece, left over from a Model A top, about 12"x30" and tried to stretch it and it does not stretch all. Believe me Trim, I've tried by even leaving it in the sun, half the afternoon and that canvas doesn't move.

14 hours ago, Tom Boehm said:

If it has to be seamed, how is it done? By stitching? or by heat sealing? How does the seam become waterproof?

The seams are sewn. The seams are waterproof the same way a convertible top is. The thread fills the hole created by the needle.    John

16 hours ago, Tom Boehm said:

Hello Trimacar, The fabric backing is actually canvas. Can that be stretched also?  If it has to be seamed, how is it done? By stitching? or by heat sealing? How does the seam become waterproof? Your comment about SMS's instock availability concerns me. I have heard that many times about them. Is there some way to verify if they actually have the material in stock? This material is exactly what was on the car. Thanks, Tom

Look up how to sew a "fell seam". That's the way most top seams are sewn to give an overlap that is strong and water proof. When on the sides the seam material gets folded over heading  down slope to further help prevent hard driven rain leakage.

The natural elasticity of the Cobra Grain top coating will close up the  needle holes around the stitches. Don't use cotton thread. Most commercial thread is synthetic and  "non-wicking".  That keeps the top seams from leaking by thread wicking water in through the stitches.

If your still concerned about leaks, Armor-All the top after it's done to further protect against stitch hole leaks by having that water repellant seep into the thread hole and help prevent any chance of capillary action.

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)

Use bonded nylon thread #69, and make sure that it's UV resistant.

This thread reminded me that I had some NOS brown topping material.  I bought it for a project that didn't come through, so it would be for sale if someone wanted it.

It's very wide, at least 66 inches and maybe more, where it's standing it's a little tough to get out, but if any interest I'll move things around and get it for accurate measurements. I could also cut a small sample and send if you wish to see it.

Here's a picture, it's a lighter grain than some. It's also slightly lighter in color than the picture shows. It's more than enough to do a wagon, I'm guessing there are 5 or more yards there.  

Just thought I'd mention it.  

afabric.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Interesting that no one jumped on the brown grained fabric, except for one person.  Ended up being 11 yards of brown grained fabric that was 70 inches wide, perfect for woodie tops.  Buyer scored a bargain, and I'm happy to have found a great home for it...thanks to the AACA forum...

• Like 1

I dusted off my machine and plan to put a new top on my 12 T this winter. Called Snyder's to add it to my Hershey delivery but was told they can not get top material. Anyone know who may have top material at Hershey?????? 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Joe in Canada said:

I will give them a call in the morning Thanks

I called and they will have it there for me. The mail has gotten so expensive I am trying to get all I can at Hershey. 

Thanks mercer 09