Sign in to follow this  
46 woodie

Cobra Grain roof material

14 hours ago, Tom Boehm said:

If it has to be seamed, how is it done? By stitching? or by heat sealing? How does the seam become waterproof?

The seams are sewn. The seams are waterproof the same way a convertible top is. The thread fills the hole created by the needle.    John

16 hours ago, Tom Boehm said:

Hello Trimacar, The fabric backing is actually canvas. Can that be stretched also?  If it has to be seamed, how is it done? By stitching? or by heat sealing? How does the seam become waterproof? Your comment about SMS's instock availability concerns me. I have heard that many times about them. Is there some way to verify if they actually have the material in stock? This material is exactly what was on the car. Thanks, Tom

Look up how to sew a "fell seam". That's the way most top seams are sewn to give an overlap that is strong and water proof. When on the sides the seam material gets folded over heading  down slope to further help prevent hard driven rain leakage.

The natural elasticity of the Cobra Grain top coating will close up the  needle holes around the stitches. Don't use cotton thread. Most commercial thread is synthetic and  "non-wicking".  That keeps the top seams from leaking by thread wicking water in through the stitches.

If your still concerned about leaks, Armor-All the top after it's done to further protect against stitch hole leaks by having that water repellant seep into the thread hole and help prevent any chance of capillary action.

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)

Use bonded nylon thread #69, and make sure that it's UV resistant.

This thread reminded me that I had some NOS brown topping material.  I bought it for a project that didn't come through, so it would be for sale if someone wanted it.

It's very wide, at least 66 inches and maybe more, where it's standing it's a little tough to get out, but if any interest I'll move things around and get it for accurate measurements. I could also cut a small sample and send if you wish to see it.

Here's a picture, it's a lighter grain than some. It's also slightly lighter in color than the picture shows. It's more than enough to do a wagon, I'm guessing there are 5 or more yards there.  

Just thought I'd mention it.  

afabric.jpg

• Like 1

I sent you a personal message. I am interested in buying. Tom Boehm  1940 Lasalle woodie.

Restoration Specialties, which goes to Hersey has 65" long cobra grain and 80" long smooth grain...........

814 467 9842

I'm restoring a '39 Ford wagon.  Is there another layer of material between the slats and the long grain vinyl?

many install a thin pad, to give a nicer finish to the roofing material. not sure if that is correct though............................

Interesting that no one jumped on the brown grained fabric, except for one person.  Ended up being 11 yards of brown grained fabric that was 70 inches wide, perfect for woodie tops.  Buyer scored a bargain, and I'm happy to have found a great home for it...thanks to the AACA forum...

Thanks Mercer09. I would prefer a better look than the cobra backing so a liner will likely be my choice. But I would like to know how it rolled off the assembly line.

16 hours ago, mercer09 said:

many install a thin pad, to give a nicer finish to the roofing material. not sure if that is correct though............................

DO NOT USE POLYESTER FOAM. IT WILL TURN TO POWER IN HOT SUN EXPOSURE.

I dusted off my machine and plan to put a new top on my 12 T this winter. Called Snyder's to add it to my Hershey delivery but was told they can not get top material. Anyone know who may have top material at Hershey?????? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mercer09 said:

Restoration Specialties from PA

I will give them a call in the morning Thanks

15 hours ago, Joe in Canada said:

I will give them a call in the morning Thanks

I called and they will have it there for me. The mail has gotten so expensive I am trying to get all I can at Hershey. 

Thanks mercer 09