Any Studebaker fans here? I bought a restored '49 2R5 half ton pickup yesterday...

Lebowski

I ran across it on the Studebaker Drivers Club website on Monday. It had just been put on there the day before. The guy was listing it for his brother and the only location given was Kentucky so I figured it was probably at the other end of the state. When I emailed him and he said his brother lived about 20 miles from me I started getting excited about it. I went and looked at it on Tuesday and was very impressed with it so I gave him a deposit. Yesterday morning I met him at the motor vehicle office and gave him the cash and they transferred it to me (total cost $78.50 with no appointment and no waiting). Today I painted the wheels red and had a set of Goodyear tires installed at Walmart ($338). The two brothers completely restored it several years and made a few improvements which some of you guys may not like. They yanked the 6 and installed a Studebaker 289-2v that had recently been rebuilt. They replaced the 3 speed manual with a heavier duty T-85 OD transmission and added a new clutch and also a 3 row radiator. It didn't come with turn signals so they added them with 2 big amber lenses in front plus a couple of fog lamps for good measure. They put in a Ford 9" posi rear end with 3.50 gears and also an upgraded steering box and suspension. They completely rewired it with a 12V Painless harness and installed Cadillac disc brakes on the front. They also put in an aftermarket AC and heat system and an AM/FM/CD player with 4 big Pioneer speakers (one in each door and two behind the seat). They had the original seat reupholstered and installed a new headliner and then had a friend paint it. It cruises down the freeway at 70 with no problem which it obviously could never do if it was left stock. I plan on taking it to some shows and cruises in the next couple of months before it starts getting too cold out. Here's a few pics....

PICT0028.JPG

PICT0041.JPG

PICT0030.JPG

PICT0043.JPG

PICT0036.JPG

PICT0038.JPG

PICT0034.JPG

PICT0027.JPG

PICT0029.JPG

Edited by Lebowski (see edit history)
  • Like 8

Nice!  We do not have one but a favorite of my dads.  He was happy to find your truck in miniature form at Hershey a couple years back.  A popular kids toy in period.  We have seen a couple since, usually a mustard yellow.  Now you can look for that to go with the big one.

• Like 1

I forgot to mention that his daughter bought a new bed so she sent out an email to a few relatives and asked if anyone could use her old bed frame. Bob (the seller) said let me take a look at that and you can see where it is now. It lined up perfectly with the holes on the side of the bed so he put a bolt in each end of it and you can see the end result. Bob's brother said that Bob can work wonders with metal and can even make his own guns. I didn't even know that it was possible for someone to make something as complex as a gun....

4 minutes ago, Ed Luddy said:

I much prefer the swapped in 289, as well as Cadi disc brakes and improved steering. I'm a Studebaker owner and SDC member. This rig is road ready and very, very drivable. 

Whats wrong with that?

Absolutely nothing but as we all know you can never please everybody. Thanks for the kind words.... :)

• Like 2

I also see no problem with the way it was modified or restored. If I decide to pursue my '65 Thunderbird as a project, it may have some of the same aspects of restoration (since it came with a non original motor and inconspicuous aftermarket stuff.) I had a '50 Plymouth that simply would not do modern hiway speeds; a little  273 v8 could've helped that. I like that the non-original V8 in your truck is Stude. It keeps it more original in spirit.

• Like 1

Nice, nice 2R5, from the year of my birth ... !!

Remember  the words of Ricky Nelson’s hit, ‘Garden Party’ :

“But it's all right now, I learned my lesson well.
You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pont35cpe said:

Lebowski, are you going to install your throne for the drivers seat?

Are you referring to The Dude sitting on the throne in his bathrobe with no TP left on the roll? That's a classic pic. But no, I think I'll leave the driver's seat just the way it is.... :D

27.jpg