Unusual idea: Show gives cash prizes for young people's cars

I got a car show flyer in the mail today, and the show

this year is dedicated to all "young people who enjoy

cars, trucks, and motorcycles."  What do forum-goers

think of their idea, new this year:

CASH AWARDS, based on a people's choice or a

random drawing, TO PEOPLE AGED 30 OR YOUNGER WHO

BRING CERTAIN CARS.

---$200 cash award for people's favorite "tuner" vehicle.

---$150 cash award for second-favorite tuner vehicle

---$200 cash for favorite pre-war vehicle owned by someone 30 or younger

---$200 cash for favorite post-war vehicle owned by someone 30 or younger

---$150 cash in random drawing to vehicle owner accompanied by 2 or 

more young people (infant to 18 years). 

It's an excellent show, and this is its fourth year.  It has

been growing.  Though street rods are allowed, most cars

are antiques:  This is a prime antique-car area, and the

cars brought are diverse and interesting, from 1920's Packards

to tailfinned cars, etc.  The show is held on the picturesque

historic streets of Gettysburg, Penna.  There is a big antique show

held concurrently on the streets a few blocks away.  The show

organizer always seems to have clever ideas. 

• Like 3

Hey John,

Interesting, I think that intent is good but I can see the long term outcome to be bad,. How many times have we seen people of all ages get upset when they don't win a $20 trophy? Just imagine the accusations when cash is involved.. I think it is a bad idea

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

There are pros and cons that I see.

Con:  Sometimes it seems that the winning cars of "people's choice"

voting are those that are parked near the center of the action

where more people see them.  Not always--one time a Jordan

phaeton parked in an out-of-the-way location won a prize--but a good

location probably garners a few more votes.

Pro:  They have had similarly sized ($150 or so) restaurant

gift certificates as prizes in the past.  That extra incentive, I think,

helps bring out people's better cars.  Why take a common Mustang

when you can take your Jordan?  Cars cost money to own

and restore, so getting a little bit back never hurts.

Pro:  A pre-war car owned by someone 30 or under is a pretty

rare occurrence.  If just one or two of those appear, those people

have a very high chance of getting $200.  Quite an incentive!

Overall, I don't think monetary prizes are the best idea.  However,

the show organizer definitely thinks refreshingly outside the norm

for the show.  And the picturesque location is excellent!

Gettysburg is a relatively small town in the middle

of farm country.  There are other small towns around too.

The tree-lined on-street setting, among well-maintained historic

homes and churches, couldn't be better.  If you visited the

area 100 years ago, it would look almost exactly the same.

Here's a glimpse:

2016 Gettysburg show Sept (14).JPG

Hi John, Could you post a copy of the flyer, or at least the date and contact info for this meet?  I live about 20 minutes from G-burg and it might be something interesting to drive down to with one of the older cars.  From my house I can drive to G-burg without hitting a traffic light or a 4-lane road... just all beautiful orchard country.  As far as the cash prizes go, it is a different idea and I can see both pro and con.  Personally, I gave up trophy hunting with my own cars years ago.  They're all in boxes packed away.  The only time I'm concerned with awards anymore is when we're showing one of our client's cars.

2 hours ago, 46 woodie said:

I have seen fistfights and vulgar shouting matches over a $20 trophy.

I was following a friend out of a Cadillac show where he had won 2nd place. He threw the wooden plaque out his window and almost hit my car!

Do you know the definition of a "Raving Beauty"? The girl who won second place at the beauty contest.

Bernie

• Like 1

While in past 35-40 years I have presented plenty of vintage cars, my own and those I’ve restored for clients, either for concours judging or display only at various local, regional, national and international events, not to mention having been invited as a judge to many of the same events, I personally feel that attempting to encourage anyone to display their cars at any show or venue by offering any kind of “participation” or popularity awards/prizes is not doing any service for this hobby. If anything, IMO, such ideas generally just cheapens it.

If an owner wishes to show their vehicle out of pure enjoyment of participation and sharing or have their it judged* for learning what, if anything, could be improved on it, I can support that, but in overall, way too much importance is put on showing off cars at way too many events, instead of encouraging owners driving and using them as intended.

To paraphrase Ed Gilbertson (Former Chief Judge of the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance) “All antique/classic/vintage cars are meant to be driven”

*This is also extremely difficult to do well if results are to be in anyway meaningful, as they require well established judging guidelines and rules, not to mention unbiased judges with reasonable experience and knowledge of the subjects they are scoring.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, franklinman said:

Hi John, Could you post a copy of the flyer, or at least the date and contact info for this meet?  I live about 20 minutes from G-burg... 

I sent you a private message, Franklinman.

Since the forum doesn't allow PDF format, I can't

attach the flyer.  However, we can communicate

by e-mail.

Yes, you would like the show.  It has grown every year,

while other shows have not.

2 hours ago, RansomEli said:

Just what we need in the old car hobby -- age discrimination.

Nearly 50 years ago I was in my very early 20s and had 3 cars in a local show - fund raiser that was judged and the cars were roped off. 

I was closing the right hand door of my 38 Chrysler and was asked to get away from the car.

May be five minuets later the same official saw me open the trunk on my 41 Dodge  and politely asked me to follow him.

I was led to the gate and was told not to return. Holding a fist full of keys out. I told him to bring my cars out and return the $45 in entry fees

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

I sent you a private message, Franklinman.

Since the forum doesn't allow PDF format, I can't

attach the flyer.  However, we can communicate

by e-mail.

Yes, you would like the show.  It has grown every year,

while other shows have not.

Could you at least post a contact from the flyer you received?  I cannot think it is so secretive to send select PMs.  I live in Reading and it looks interesting enough to check out.

Thank you,

Peter J.

6 hours ago, 28 Chrysler said:

Nearly 50 years ago I was in my very early 20s and had 3 cars in a local show - fund raiser that was judged and the cars were roped off. 

I was closing the right hand door of my 38 Chrysler and was asked to get away from the car.

May be five minuets later the same official saw me open the trunk on my 41 Dodge  and politely asked me to follow him.

I was led to the gate and was told not to return. Holding a fist full of keys out. I told him to bring my cars out and return the $45 in entry fees

So did they? You deserved a grovelling apology...and a refund.

38 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

The show chairman is Jay Zimmerman, telephone (717) 321-3149.

Thank you, John.  I will give him a call.

Regards,

Peter J.

18 hours ago, 28 Chrysler said:

I was 12 when I joined AACA and 14 when I purchased my first antique car (a 1920 DB Touring needing full restoration, lots of lawn mowing, leaf raking and snow shoveling went into that first purchase).  When it was finished it won a Senior, no Grand National at that time.  Some years later I was in my early 20's and on an AACA national tour with my '13 Jeffery. One evening a bunch of us were sitting out in the parking area enjoying an adult beverage or two and discussing the days tour when another tour participant walked up and asked who owned the car.  I said I did. He said he heard that the car was driven to the tour and asked if it was true and where I was from.  I told him I did and it was about 100 miles.  He just muttered that young people didn't have any respect for older cars and started to walk off.  I stopped him and asked if he had a car on the tour and if he trailered it... I didn't know the man.  He pointed out a Model A Roadster parked nearby and said "of course I trailered it".  I asked where he was from and he named a town less than 25 miles away.  I made no reply but one of the gathered gang made the remark that if the car wouldn't make 25 miles to the tour site how did he expect it to make 5 days touring at 100 or more miles a day?  Hey, everyone has their own opinions.  I wasn't about to let some narrow minded individual spoil my good time.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JV Puleo said:

So did they? You deserved a grovelling apology...and a refund.

He was red faced as he walked away.  The guy manning the gate was Frank Kraft, I had worked on his 17,000 mile 40 Ford coupe that was also there.

Around 1978 I drove my 1910 REO from Lincoln, RI to Long Island for a car show. On the morning of the show one of the participants, a gentleman I'd met in Newport, RI on a tour a year or two earlier asked where I parked my trailer. I had to tell him  "I don't own a trailer." He appeared to be amazed at that but was certainly not rude or anything like that...

• Like 1

On 6/30/2019 at 12:41 PM, padgett said:

I  usually put "Exhibition only, not to be judged." on mine.

Many people do what you do for many reasons "display only" or Do Not Judge" are common to see. I feel that once cash is involved there will be less and less people opting to do so. It is a  plus side for the promoter, now there will be more vehicles staying till the end and maybe that is the ultimate purpose.

I was at the meet AACA Meet in Parsippany NJ this Saturday and I wish it lasted  longer, even though it was hot I could have stayed another hour or two more. There were still many friends I did not get a chance to meet up with before we left to load the car. We did get out just in time before a huge storm came through.

Yesterday I was at a local show in my town on Long Island and people we leaving after two or three hours, can't say i blame them, some of these things get pretty boring and repetitive after an hour or so. This show supposedly had 700 cars, a good portion were poorly done street rods which don't really hold my interest that long. 

If they were giving away cash, I think a lot less would leave. This was a fantastic location, right on the water on Long Island Sound and people were still leaving after a few hours.

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

1 hour ago, 48Firetruck said:

...I'd rather the sponsors gave me a gas card or gift card for dinner, something I can use.

Instead of cash prizes, this show has typically

given generous restaurant gift certificates as prizes--

$150 each is typical.  This year, they are still giving

two gift certificates, $150 and $100, for the overall

people's choice and 2nd place people's choice.

Another creative idea they have:  Pre-registered car

owners are invited to submit a picture of their car,

and a description of a couple of paragraphs.  The show

organizers then print a color booklet describing all the cars.

The booklet is given out to participants, and the public.

With all these generous items, I don't know how they

make money.  Their profits go to charity.

My favorite quote came when I was about 30 driving my 1929 619 Graham-Paige into a car show... "What's a young guy like you, driving and old car like that?"  Gentleman was in his 70's, I told him just having fun.

I let my 15 year old Son drive over 100 miles on a tour with my 1929 Graham-Paige 827, he had his learners permit.  My friend in his 80's was the licensed driver accompanying him, fell promptly to sleep woke up an hour later, said "the best naps are in a Graham-Paige"

I think the best way to make the new guys/gals welcome is go over and talk with them.

20 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

The show chairman is Jay Zimmerman, telephone (717) 321-3149.

Thanks, again, John.  Just received a return phone call from Jay.  Very pleasant man.  As you said it has grown most recently from 104-to-174.  Show held in conjunction with a huge antiques sale on the main street of Gettysburg just one block over.

Jay said it will be held September 28th so it does not interfere with Carlisle then Fall Hershey.  Said he would snail mail a brochure today.  When I get it I will post it in the meets & tours sections.

Peter.

4 minutes ago, kings32 said:

Where does the money come from to give away ? Most shows are put on to raise money for something .  King32

This show is also for charity.  I was wondering myself

where the money came from to give away all those prizes.

That's $1300 in cash awards and gift certificates alone;

and the cost to print that color booklet for everyone can't be

small.

I suppose:  Selling ads in the booklet;  car-show registrations;

maybe some local sponsors.  Maybe some other source.

Many years ago, there was a local show in another

part of Pennsylvania that gave away cash prizes.

Those prizes brought out a few really spectacular cars.

I recall a brass-era American Underslung, perfectly restored,

and an orange late-1920's Packard roadster.  I had never

seen those cars locally before.

The owner of the American Underslung, an expert on that

marque, said to me, "Cars cost a lot to restore.  It's nice to

get some money back for a change!'

Twenty years ago I helped start a Downtown Fathers Day Show.  The them was your car is your award.  Preregistered cars received $10 "Downtown Dollars" to spend with any downtown merchant.  sponsorships were found for the dollars.  About 150 cars showed up.  Everyone was happy.  A few years later, the downtown merchants decided that people love their cars so much that they will pay us to let them show their cars.  An entry fee was charged and I no longer attend.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, 61polara said:

Twenty years ago I helped start a Downtown Fathers Day Show.  The them was your car is your award.  Preregistered cars received $10 "Downtown Dollars" to spend with any downtown merchant.  sponsorships were found for the dollars.  About 150 cars showed up.  Everyone was happy.  A few years later, the downtown merchants decided that people love their cars so much that they will pay us to let them show their cars.  An entry fee was charged and I no longer attend.

Charging to go to park my car at a cruise night I have found to be insulting. I refuse to do it anymore

• Like 1

14 hours ago, John348 said:

Charging to go to park my car at a cruise night I have found to be insulting. I refuse to do it anymore

Cruising or parking ?

I find parking my cars, even if free, or having them just sit around in shows insulting to them and their heritage, since I believe they too prefer enjoying and performing activities they were all born for, cruising at speed on cool open roads and scenic highways.

Whenever I get a chance to go out with any of them, I as often a possible refuse to let my cars endure humiliation of sitting still, especially since they are forced to do so far too much in my garage or shop already. 🙄

To OP: Perhaps it’s just me and my experiences, but I think attempting to lure attendance with awards/prizes to any kind of event or show is not a new or unusual idea and could have adverse effects, not only for obvious, including ethical reasons, but may send a message of the given event being “desperate” and I’ve seen it too.

Years ago, a friend of mine established a small local “car show” and to keep attendees coming back instead of going to other similar events, which all offered “awards/trophies”, he eventually found himself constantly looking for “cheap”, even pre-owned sporting event trophies found at any local thrift stores, etc. and needing to keep track which attendees had already received one recently ...

... and in the end, like so many others before or since, his show, even with awards, gift certificates, trophies live music and couple of different, nice locations, etc, also folded.

Besides, those intrigued to attending because of cash awards may be the cheap bast**ds not willing to spend any with local merchants anyway.

I believe if an event/show is destined to be successful, it will be so on its own merits and even if it costs money to attend.

Some the best and longest running vintage car events in the world cost truck loads of money to attend/participate and always seem to have more applicants than they accept. 

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

8 hours ago, TTR said:

Cruising or parking ?

I find parking my cars, even if free, or having them just sit around in shows insulting to them and their heritage, since I believe they too prefer enjoying and performing activities they were all born for, cruising at speed on cool open roads and scenic highways.

Whenever I get a chance to go out with any of them, I as often a possible refuse to let my cars endure humiliation of sitting still, especially since they are forced to do so far too much in my garage or shop already. 🙄

It is pretty hard to insult or humiliate a machine. How anyone enjoys their car is up to them and i personally don't criticize how they elect do so. It's always good to remember some people like vanilla, some chocolate and some don't like ice cream at all, does not make anyone right or wrong

I am sorry I guess I was not clear when expressing my point. I myself have no problem paying to enter one of my cars in an event, when that "fee" is used to offset the cost of the event, or it is going to charity or such. I do have a problem being asked to give $5 - $10 to have the 'privilege' to park my car on a street in a town, or a parking lot to boost local business's who profit off the spectators, and the car owners. Keep in mind the spectators don't pay anything to look at the cars that the owners pay to enter. Sort of like of the entertainment paying the audience. I would not mind if a dash plaque was given out or a few coupons to the local eateries who are benefiting, but they don't, because there is line of people every week willing to pay for nothing every week. The deciding factor for me was a restaurant/bar that we frequent on another night before before our local monthly car club meetings decided to use a different menu on the cruise night charging more. This is just one instance, but I am pretty sure that business model is being used at many a cruise night. Without the owners bringing their cars, there is no event.

I was at a local show on Sunday that was hosted by a local club, I had no problem paying to enter, they had free raffles for car owners with decent prizes, and gave away trophies, and hopefully the club was able to make a few bucks for their treasury, after it was said and done. When their judges came around to look at the cars. The first question we were asked is "are you planning on staying here until 3 pm?" Which I was not interested in doing so, so they kept walking....... but if I knew it was going to be $150 instead of a trophy I might have stayed around.

Thinking about it now maybe the show that the OP mentioned is not all that bad of an idea, and I hope it works out well.