Comparing 50s-era two-seaters

1935Packard

I'm a longtime fan of mid-1950s two-seaters, and in particular these four cars: 

(1) Jaguar XK120, and in particular the drop-head coupe from '53-'54

(2) '54 Kaiser Darrin

(3) '55 to '63 Mercedes-Benz 190SL 

(4) '54 Chevrolet Corvette

Although beauty is subjective, I think all four of these cars are really beautiful.  But I have never driven any of them, much less owned any of them. 

Given that, I'm curious if any message board participants who may have owned one of these cars or may know them well, how they compare in terms of either driving experience or ownership experience.   The four seem to have some significant differences from a distance.  For example,  the Corvette only comes in an automatic (unfortunately!)  The 190SL and the DHC have roll-up windows while the Darrin and Corvette don't.  At least right now, the Corvettes are significantly less expensive than the other three.  And I would think parts are very hard to source for the Darrin but more available (if expensive) for the others.  But that's just my impression from afar, and I'm sure others with actual experience with these cars have great insights to share.

Anyway, this is unfortunately just idle pondering, and I have no plans to get any of these cars.  But a man can dream.....

1 hour ago, WQ59B said:

Any reason you picked 1 year of a 3-yr generation of the Corvette? Add in the easily-argueably better looking '56-57 and not only there is your manual trans, but your V8 & roll-up windows.

Fair question!      Re the 53-54-55 thinking, the '53s seem to be 2-3X the price for the same car as the '54, which I would think makes the '54 a relative bargain.   The 55s give you the V8 over the '54's Six, but I'm not sure how much of a difference that makes.  Certainly don't mind adding the '55s to the mix as an possibility, though!  I think there were a handful of 55s that came with factory manual transmissions, too, but I gather they are rare.   Re the '56-'57, only left out because I find them less attractive style-wise than the '53-55 cars.   I think the '59-'60 cars are very attractive, but not quite as much as the '53-'55 cars.  Of course, this is purely subjective, your mileage may vary, etc.

Don't think anything I might say can help you any. Although I like and appreciate many cars from the '50s, they are much too modern for my collector interests. I didn't buy it, own it, or drive it. However, many (nearly fifty) years ago, I looked at and seriously considered buying a Kaiser Darrin. It wouldn't have worked out. My life never did. I had to sell every car I ever had and wanted to keep for the rest of my life,  every one, for one reason or another, usually the "needs" of family. Still, to this day, I remember that Kaiser Darrin as the ONE 1950s car that I regret not getting.

all interesting choices............ I think the cars we choose tends to date us as well.

the Jag is gorgeous and my favorite in the group- but perhaps the most expensive and difficult to maintain-I prefer the 140's

have no experience on the Kaiser

regarding the Mercedes, I am a 200 series fan and prob the most reliable cars in the group (230-280sl)

I am with WQ on the vette-wouldnt want an automatic 6 cylinder and my preference on vettes is the 58 up- double headlights at their best.

all of these appear a bit anemic to me, with exception to the Jag.

• Like 1

I agree on the XK 120, my wife still wants one.

No experience with the Darin. i always thought of it as a toy with sliding doors.

Mercedes 190, no thanks after owning a 170 Va.

53 & 54 Corvette?  Looked cute bur not really a sports car either/  Enjoyed my 57 4 speed Corvette!

My choice was and is the Porsche Speedster!   One of the best sports car I ever had!   Wish i still had it.

178570256_57Speedster.thumb.jpg.ffc73e7f78abe153334abf759829a798.jpg

I drove a 140 DHC as my daily and only driver for over a year in the 1960's. They are a young person's car. The 120 even more so. No foot room, cramped cockpit, difficult to get into or out of and they are dump trucks to drive until you get up a little speed then they are awesome. Only car I can say I ever drove over 100 mph.

2 hours ago, mercer09 said:

I am with WQ on the vette-wouldnt want an automatic 6 cylinder and my preference on vettes is the 58 up- double headlights at their best.

I have no advice to the poster on the cars he mentioned, but I second the ‘58 Corvette. Drove it in High School to parades and car shows. Wish my dad hadn’t sold it. (Fuel injected, in the original blue metallic paint (silver blue?), with white cove. Washed and waxed it many times and remember every curve. 

3D9327F2-F33E-4975-9BE8-F7B896CEF2F5.jpeg

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, victorialynn2 said:

I have no advice to the poster on the cars he mentioned, but I second the ‘58 Corvette. Drove it in High School to parades and car shows. Wish my dad hadn’t sold it. (Fuel injected, in the original blue metallic paint (silver blue?), with white cove. Washed and waxed it many times and remember every curve. 

3D9327F2-F33E-4975-9BE8-F7B896CEF2F5.jpeg

Probably my favorite as well. 

60 Fuelie I had to part ways with 5 years ago due to a house and fire.  Wish I still had it and didn't want to sell it.

post-43003-143139316091_thumb.jpg

4 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

Probably my favorite as well. 

60 Fuelie I had to part ways with 5 years ago due to a house and fire.  Wish I still had it and didn't want to sell it.

post-43003-143139316091_thumb.jpg

Beautiful. I’m sorry you couldn’t keep it. 😢

Love the C1’s, he had another one but I don’t remember the year. (Plus some C2’s and C3’s).

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)

25 minutes ago, victorialynn2 said:

Beautiful. I’m sorry you couldn’t keep it. 😢

Love the C1’s, he had another one but I don’t remember the year. (Plus some C2’s and C3’s).

that is one of my dream cars, especially fuel injected. If I had one now someone would have to call 911 to have me extricated from the car. When I was back in high school and a lean young man it was a tight fit at 5'11" and 175 lbs, now if I could even get in it would be a task. Too bad it had to go. They had some real great one year colors in 60 and 61 on the vettes

• Like 2

3 hours ago, John348 said:

that is one of my dream cars, especially fuel injected. If I had one now someone would have to call 911 to have me extricated from the car. When I was back in high school and a lean young man it was a tight fit at 5'11" and 175 lbs, now if I could even get in it would be a task. Too bad it had to go. They had some real great one year colors in 60 and 61 on the vettes

I don’t want to hijack this thread but one day I will dig out the photos. He had a SWC also. All were original and very high quality, matching #’s, etc. 6-7 total. 

Edit: found paperwork but not the photos yet. ‘53, 57, 58, 61, 63swc, 68, 71 LT1 T-Top. I think I have the vins for them all also. 

• Like 1

Had several Jags and a MGA from the '50s. Favorite was the XK-150s with triple carbs. Surprised a lot of V8s. Had the shift lever straightened which for me was much faster to shift. 6.00x16 Dunlop RS5s and had lots of room for a college student off to school including a GE Porta-Color TV and a stereo reel-to-reel plus amp and speakers. Spent a lot of time in 4th/OD (had OD on all four gears). Lucas PL headlamps. Learned double clutching getting the Moss box into first at 25. RWD DOHC-6 & 4 wheel disks. My current DD has same. MG had a crank for starting and used it. Had one radio for both and would swap.

Boy those tires look skinny (thought so then too...)

jagmg.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, victorialynn2 said:

I don’t want to hijack this thread but one day I will dig out the photos. He had a SWC also. All were original and very high quality, matching #’s, etc. 6-7 total. 

Would love to see the photos, getting back on track all of those two seaters mentioned by the OP are tight for most people, just a little too cozy for me. Not mentioned is the 55-57 T birds which are trying to get into a peddle car. Creature comfort was not on the top of the list back then

Curious how the Jag stacked up against the fuel injected Vette in the late 50's.  I think that was it's real direct competition as far as American iron goes.   I had no problem driving mine though I'm 165 at 6 foot and fairly agile. It was a 290HP 4 speed car with 3:73 gears.   Couldn't drive it in Fourth gear unless you were above 60 or it would start fouling plugs. 

One of the best memories I had driving it was pulling on the interstate and instantly jumping it up to 70 passing a mini van full of probably 5 to 10 year old kids and their jaws kind of hung there as I blew by.  Made me feel like a rock star.  

I imagine at that age I would have looked just like them.   It sure was fun running it in third at 55 or so through the corners on the back road as you got to keep getting on and off it.  It had factory off road exhaust on it so it sounded like an inboard ski boat on the lake.  A friend heard me go by one day and later told me it was just the way a 60 Vette should sound and did in the day when he was growing up. 

I'll probably end up with another some day.  I do know where there is a 62 with a 65 365HP vette engine in it,  otherwise very stock stuffed in a garage in very good shape. I'll keep my fingers crossed if it ever comes up that timing will be right.  

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, John348 said:

I'm 6'2", 205. At least for me, there is a substantial difference in interior space between the 56/57 cars and the ones following: I begin to fit at 58 and get more comfortable through 59 and 60. This kills me, because I love the elemental 57s most of all—but I'm not buying a car I can't drive …

Edited by J3Studio (see edit history)
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, 1935Packard said:

I'm a longtime fan of mid-1950s two-seaters, and in particular these four cars: 

(1) Jaguar XK120, and in particular the drop-head coupe from '53-'54

(2) '54 Kaiser Darrin

(3) '55 to '63 Mercedes-Benz 190SL 

(4) '54 Chevrolet Corvette

Although beauty is subjective, I think all four of these cars are really beautiful.  But I have never driven any of them, much less owned any of them. 

Given that, I'm curious if any message board participants who may have owned one of these cars or may know them well, how they compare in terms of either driving experience or ownership experience.   The four seem to have some significant differences from a distance.  For example,  the Corvette only comes in an automatic (unfortunately!)  The 190SL and the DHC have roll-up windows while the Darrin and Corvette don't.  At least right now, the Corvettes are significantly less expensive than the other three.  And I would think parts are very hard to source for the Darrin but more available (if expensive) for the others.  But that's just my impression from afar, and I'm sure others with actual experience with these cars have great insights to share.

I've spent some time driving in a 1954 Corvette. They aren't fast, but they are spritely, perhaps because those cars weigh nothing by modern standards—that 150 gross bhp only has to haul around 2,850 pounds. Agreed that the 1954 is the most approachable of the early solid axle Corvettes—neither the rarity of those they just made 300 1953s nor the extra power of those almost all V8s 1955s.

Edited by J3Studio (see edit history)
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

I agree on the XK 120, my wife still wants one.

No experience with the Darin. i always thought of it as a toy with sliding doors.

Mercedes 190, no thanks after owning a 170 Va.

53 & 54 Corvette?  Looked cute bur not really a sports car either/  Enjoyed my 57 4 speed Corvette!

My choice was and is the Porsche Speedster!   One of the best sports car I ever had!   Wish i still had it.

Thanks, this is helpful.  I love the Porsche Speedsters, too, and perhaps on a more practical note, the '59 Convertible D.  But even thought the Convertible Ds are a bargain compared to the Speedsters, both are bringing serious dollars in today's market.  A driver Convertible D seems to be about 2X an XK120, and a Speedster much more than that.  So I left it out mostly because it's in a different price range....

8 hours ago, mercer09 said:

all interesting choices............ 

all of these appear a bit anemic to me, with exception to the Jag.

I've wondered about that.  I'm sure Internet reports on 0-60 mph times are often unreliable, but I've seen these numbers reported: 

xk120: 10 seconds.

'54 Corvette: 11 seconds

190sl: 13 seconds

Kaiser Darrin:14 seconds

4 minutes ago, 1935Packard said:

I've wondered about that.  I'm sure Internet reports on 0-60 mph times are often unreliable, but I've seen these numbers reported:

Jag won Le Mans in basically a XK120 in 1951.   You can't even consider the idea of racing any of the other three.   By the end of the 1950s the Vette had some pop,  but this discussion is about 1954.

• Thanks 1

Thought it was "50s-era". That should include various Alphas and Healy 100 and 3000s, Morgan +8 came later, but should include the TR3A (B has all synchro gearbox).

Remember being on the Sunshine State Parkway at 70ish and watching jaws drop when I downshifted three times in the Jag (had OD on all four). S topped out at about 135-140 and I shudder to think about the tires I did stuff on then.

Jag won Le Mans in basically a XK120 in 1951.   You can't even consider the idea of racing any of the other three.   By the end of the 1950s the Vette had some pop,  but this discussion is about 1954.

A '51 XK-120 had 10 more HP than a '54 Corvette. The XK-120C that won '51 LeMans had 55 more. Not exactly pertinent.

I didn't mind my 57 Tbird and got rid of it to buy the 60 Vette More to change things up than because I didn't like the Tbird.  Tbird was an Automatic and vette was a 4 speed.  It was also a 4 BBL car when the VEtte was fuel injected so hard to compare performance as they weren't the same,  the tbird was a boulevard cruiser with a little pep.  Cockpit wise it would blow you out of the seat driving it. The Vette actually had less wind disruption  but had a firmer ride,  Cornered better and performance was much better, but one can easily see why.  Each is it's own car as they all are.  I enjoyed each one for what it is.  I'm not the type of guy that buys a car for comfort.  I don't mind the rough ride and crankiness of old cars and actually needing to pilot them. That's why I mess with them.  If i wanted a new car feel and ride,  I would buy a new car. 

52 minutes ago, WQ59B said:

A '51 XK-120 had 10 more HP than a '54 Corvette. The XK-120C that won '51 LeMans had 55 more. Not exactly pertinent.

You should compare the 54 Vette with the XK140 which came out in late 54.  Which was available in MC form (i.e the "C" head) and 200 HP.  

Honestly,  there is no comparison between the Jag and the other three in performance.   They are all attractive two seat cars,  but only one can haul ass.

How about the 55 - 57 Thunderbird? Might be more practical than any of the cars on your list. More room than the Corvette or Jaguar, easier and cheaper to service and repair than the imports, with V8 power.

if you dont mind "cornering" in a bath tub!

2 hours ago, 1935Packard said:

xk120: 10 seconds.

'54 Corvette: 11 seconds

190sl: 13 seconds

Kaiser Darrin:14 seconds

I read something recently that the corvettes we doing so well in racing that they disqualified them. I’ll try to find it. It was the fulies.

Here it is: (58)

In addition, Corvette had managed to completely dominate on the racetrack and, despite the fact that General Motors would join others in observing the racing ban that had been put in place by the Automobile Manufacturer’s Association (AMA), it had proven nearly unbeatable in it’s class.

https://www.corvsport.com/1958-c1-corvette/

15 minutes ago, alsancle said:

You should compare the 54 Vette with the XK140 which came out in late 54.  Which was available in MC form (i.e the "C" head) and 200 HP. 

If we're in late 1954, that's model year 1955 in the states, so we're off the Blue Flame inline six and into the 195 bhp V8 (for all but seven Corvettes).

Power changed really quickly in sports car in the 1950s.

• Like 3

Also the '50s was when European cars got disk brakes while except for one blimpmobile, Americans had to wait for the 60s. I remember fading a '61 Caddy 'vert out to nothing on one hard stop from 70.

Personally preferred a DOHC 6 of over three liters but had a lot of fun speed shifting a FIAT 1500 and with my '55 MGA RHD (had a second steering wheel for the passenger to wave around). I never met a car I didn't like but would make an exception for a Daimler SP250.

Back then I thought a big Healey and a Merc 190SL were ladies cars (Merc was a popular graduation gift). Have to remember that Florida is a big state and almost anywhere was a 100 mile round trip, the city was an overnight thousand miles, and 710 to Sebring was dead straight (except for the curve at Indiantown) two lane shell road. Was a different time.

ps for a look at the culture in the '50s watch the Roger Corman "The Fast and the Furious"

Edited by padgett (see edit history)
  • Like 1

So I was lucky enough to spend a beautiful New England Saturday (76 degrees, low humidity) driving my mom's Jag.  You get that combination,  Saturday, Temp, Humidity, probably 12 times a year.   This was a mother's day present back in 1972 from my dad.   He had a choice between 200 dollars for this 55 MC or 700 dollars for a 49 120 Aluminum.  Wrong choice,  but that's the way the ball bounces.

Full restoration in the early 70s came to about 3k.  I still remember laying in bed on a Tuesday night as an eight year old  listening to my dad and his mechanic buddy when they got the engine to fire the first time.   Nothing sounds like a DOHC Jag straight 6.  Its a big boy engine.

This is an interesting thread,  (thanks Orin!).  I've always had a strange fascination with the Kaiser Darrin.   If Dutch didn't cute with the nose,  it would get my vote for one of the best looking cars  of the 50s.   I also wish they beefed the hurricane engine a bit.  Maybe a blower, or twin carbs.   Just to give the illusion of it being a real sports car.

IMG_5754.jpg