Is this '60 Caddy convertible slightly overpriced at $5500?

18 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

As usual they were going to restore it one day,  right up to the point where it finally turned into nothing but a rough parts car.  Now it's for sale.  Same old song and dance. 

Amazing isn't it ? Takes a special kind of person to do this to such a rare piece of history...

A lot of guys in the car hobby have a great amount of respect for old timers who hoarded everything and would not sell unless they were paid three times what a part was worth. I've never cared for the old timers with that mind set and believe they should be dealt with swiftly. 

It's a real shame that a great majority of parts were surrendered to dust thanks to these prideful A _ _ _ _ _ _ S.

I had a great uncle who made a modest fortune off salvage parts even at fair market prices before his passing,  it's just too bad that some of his fellow junkers had no common sense or respect for their fellow hobbyists or lovers of the auto industry. 

My guess is one day this very car was priced at $50k in the 60's, then with signs of bad rust it went to $30K in the 70's and 80's then once the cancer took over in the 90's and early 2000's it went to $20k  and now here we are... taking it right to his grave with him. A real shame.

• Like 1

Steep price, but it will see somewhere close nevertheless and then you will see a Cadillac coupe DeVille  (or maybe a Seville) become a convertible, but my guess is they also have a special frame under them so unless solid and transplanted it will became one convertible someone does not want. 

On 5/19/2019 at 10:57 AM, 30DodgePanel said:

Amazing isn't it ? Takes a special kind of person to do this to such a rare piece of history...

A lot of guys in the car hobby have a great amount of respect for old timers who hoarded everything and would not sell unless they were paid three times what a part was worth. I've never cared for the old timers with that mind set and believe they should be dealt with swiftly. 

It's a real shame that a great majority of parts were surrendered to dust thanks to these prideful A _ _ _ _ _ _ S.

I had a great uncle who made a modest fortune off salvage parts even at fair market prices before his passing,  it's just too bad that some of his fellow junkers had no common sense or respect for their fellow hobbyists or lovers of the auto industry. 

My guess is one day this very car was priced at $50k in the 60's, then with signs of bad rust it went to $30K in the 70's and 80's then once the cancer took over in the 90's and early 2000's it went to $20k  and now here we are... taking it right to his grave with him. A real shame.

I don't understand the hate thrown by people when they see a rusty car, looks like a junkyard car to me. I used to visit lots of yards in the 70's that had somewhat decent cars by todays standards but weren't worth restoring then. The ad clearly states that he hauled it there on a flatbed, not sure why that gets him called a prideful .... Yes, there are cars that were left out by people, sometimes ruining them, I own a couple parts cars thanks to them. Guess it's a shame you can't force people in a free country to do what you deem is best. Your price quotes for past decades are silly btw 

• Like 2

On 5/19/2019 at 1:17 PM, Neil G said:

I don't understand the hate thrown by people when they see a rusty car, looks like a junkyard car to me. I used to visit lots of yards in the 70's that had somewhat decent cars by todays standards but weren't worth restoring then. The ad clearly states that he hauled it there on a flatbed, not sure why that gets him called a prideful ..... Yes, there are cars that were left out by people, sometimes ruining them, I own a couple parts cars thanks to them. Guess it's a shame you can't force people in a free country to do what you deem is best. Your price quotes for past decades are silly btw 

Sorry Neil but I think, I guess you missed my point entirely... 

Trust me, I've ran into many old timers who have quoted stupid prices over the years, my figures are very realistic...

Also, I realize this guy is not the main culprit and maybe I should have pointed that out (to make it more obvious to the reader),  my point was the ones who are part of this prideful cycle are the ones it was directed at, not those of us who currently own parts cars. Does this guy selling this car on craigslist fit that bill of unrealistic dipsticks? I believe he does

Most of us in the hobby have parts galore.... when you sell parts do you sell your parts for ungodly and unrealistic prices ? 

If anyone, from any era sells parts for stupid prices or cars for unrealistic prices then they are the ones who have always tainted the hobby. I'm sure they'll always have a following though since the Barnum and Bailey rule still applies . 

17 minutes ago, Ed Luddy said:

There really isn't enough salvagable parts to justify the price.

I don't know.. .I think that ID  tag is super clean. 

The tag alone has to be worth at least two grand  ! lol

For the readers, this is the car on topic:

00J0J_2QJXQ6zXWyt_1200x900.jpg

00W0W_7nTnLhrB0sJ_600x450.jpg

00c0c_cJWA2ZdoVE9_600x450.jpg

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

2 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Sorry Neil but I think, I guess you missed my point entirely... 

Trust me, I've ran into many old timers who have quoted stupid prices over the years, my figures are very realistic...

Also, I realize this guy is not the main culprit and maybe I should have pointed that out (to make it more obvious to the reader),  my point was the ones who are part of this prideful cycle are the ones it was directed at, not those of us who currently own parts cars. Does this guy selling this car on craigslist fit that bill of unrealistic dipsticks? I believe he does

Most of us in the hobby have parts galore.... when you sell parts do you sell your parts for ungodly and unrealistic prices ? 

If anyone, from any era sells parts for stupid prices or cars for unrealistic prices then they are the ones who have always tainted the hobby. I'm sure they'll always have a following though since the Barnum and Bailey rule still applies . 

So this was a 50k car in the 1960s?? That's laughable, you have no idea what you're talking about. I didn't miss your point at all, you addressed this car in this post and people who don't sell parts at the price you decide they're worth. I sell lots of parts, usually on Ebay and do quite well and so do the buyers. Someone obviously hurt you deeply to go on such a name calling tirade, you're not owed anything particularly by someone who owns something you want and can't afford. Whiners taint the hobby, don't like the price, move on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You're way off base. As I said we all have parts Mr bigshot ebay !  You sir, are the one that is clueless if you believe these type of sellers don't hinder the hobby. 

I do move on, I have no interest in this ridiculous futile vehicle, this sorry POS. I'm not the one that can't let it go as I've stated my views already. By your little tirade at a fellow hobbyist concerned about these types of things tells me all I need to know. Guess we all know what camp you're in. 😁 Kudos on you big boy.

I'm guessing many folks make decent offers to you for your parts but you refused to sell unless you prove your point or stick it to them ? Way off base ? I don't think so.....

Moving on.

This was a brand new Cadillac in 1960. Sold for new car price then. The usual fairly steep initial depreciation set in, and then the car became conspicuously dated. As a well preserved Cad in the early-mid '70s, would have traded at around  $250. Turn key, everything working, keep maintenance up, and drive it sensibly ANYWHERE, ANYTIME. Fairbanks, Alaska to Chepo, Panama if you wish. About a decade later, if the Cad had been well kept, driven on pavement, with some normal wear for its continued existence, about $2500-$3000. Still TOTALLY rust free. Now if at that point, it were still the car it was sold for at $250, she'd have been possibly a $4000-$5000 vehicle. Pretty sure we all know where prices went from there to what they are now. What is left in a heap of this neglected ex-parts car ain't worth spit. My valuations here are based on actual sales of a number of such Cadillac convertibles in Seattle at the given times.

Agree with Billy, please resist all temptation to respond to insults. This stuff often happens on and off forum due to undamped misunderstanding. We are pretty much all friends here. Kiss and make up.       Friendly (today, at least),   -    Cadillac Carl 

• Like 1

I bought my 1st Cadillac in 1973-74. It was a 1959 Series 62 4 door hardtop in running driving condition for $225. I loved old cars and had to have it, but faced major ridicule from a

lot of my teenage friends. So lets say this 60 convertible had been for sale at the same time it may have brought $500 max. There were lots of them for sale, and very few buyers so they just sat and rusted.

No one got around to saving this one likely due to major rust at an early age. Leaky convertibles had bad floors very early on.

1 hour ago, 30DodgePanel said:

You're way off base. As I said we all have parts Mr bigshot ebay !  You sir, are the one that is clueless if you believe these type of sellers don't hinder the hobby. 

I do move on, I have no interest in this ridiculous futile vehicle, this sorry POS. I'm not the one that can't let it go as I've stated my views already. By your little tirade at a fellow hobbyist concerned about these types of things tells me all I need to know. Guess we all know what camp you're in. 😁 Kudos on you big boy.

I'm guessing many folks make decent offers to you for your parts but you refused to sell unless you prove your point or stick it to them ? Way off base ? I don't think so.....

Moving on.

you're far too emotional about a car you don't own or don't want to own. You have no idea what I've bought and sold over the last 45 years, "Mr bigshot ebay"? oh brother, 🤣

16 hours ago, C Carl said:

Agree with Billy, please resist all temptation to respond to insults. This stuff often happens on and off forum due to undamped misunderstanding. We are pretty much all friends here. Kiss and make up.       Friendly (today, at least),   -    Cadillac Carl 

Agreed. Guess that's what I get for putting my opinion on a discussion board. Oh well, no worries, I know what I stand for and I'm cool with that. 

I respect your opinion Neil. Wish you would respect others as well....

Trust me, I know the numbers I posted are insane, but you have no idea of the clowns I've ran into over the years. We've all had our own experiences and essentially calling someone a liar for numbers I know I have heard over the years is an assumption on your part. 

I've also had cars for sale that these same type of people would tell me to sell for $80k. Here's just one of the more recent examples of a 30 Couple I sold for $5K (reasonable market value for both parties the buyer/seller). These same type of guys I've ran into (and am referring to) tried to tell me this 1930 Chrysler 66 Business Coupe w/rs  was worth $80K .. yeah,,, it is laughable (I AGREE!) but I know what I've experienced and those kind of people are out there hindering the hobby. The seller in the OP is the same type of seller at the end of the life of this vehicle. Not emotionally attached to any of it, just stating the facts as I know I've experienced them. One can disagree with me all they want but I know what I've encountered over the years and if a seller has nothing I'm interested in I move on. I just think it's a shame that there are people like this in the hobby who have always taking things with them to their grave rather let the rest of the world be able to enjoy them. Doesn't mean I am wounded or hurt by it, just means I disagree with it. 

If the Craigslist seller was realistic he would clearly list as a parts car open to all offers. Anything else is an insult to the readers intelligence. 

The ad itself is laughable and since this is a FORUM, we all have our opinions and I've simply stated mine. Telling someone not to post an opinion on a discussion forum if they don't like something is a bit strange but I digress...

graduation 056.jpg

Not sure you're defending the right thing, I watched a 23 Pierce Arrow melt into the ground over 30 years because the owner wouldn't sell. I got it from his estate and it got parted out, made a lot of people happy but it was sad to see a restorable car (belonged to the governor of Oregon) turned into a parts car. He had his reasons I'm sure, he was a guy that wouldn't sell a car, nothing more nothing less. You'd call him names but I guess that forums give that power to people. The ad for the 60 says he'll sell parts, his price is high but easier to come down than go up, I don't see that he's doing anything offensive, did you even read it?

On 5/19/2019 at 1:17 PM, Neil G said:

I don't understand the hate thrown by people when they see a rusty car, looks like a junkyard car to me. I used to visit lots of yards in the 70's that had somewhat decent cars by todays standards but weren't worth restoring then. The ad clearly states that he hauled it there on a flatbed, not sure why that gets him called a prideful ..... Yes, there are cars that were left out by people, sometimes ruining them, I own a couple parts cars thanks to them. Guess it's a shame you can't force people in a free country to do what you deem is best. Your price quotes for past decades are silly btw 

Neil

I used to be one of those guys that would say this is a shame, but I have come your way.  There is still a surplus of cars in the US, especially project cars and cars like this one.  I don't care for this seller asking $5500 for what is obviously a barely there car, but he can keep it till he dies. 

There have been countless yards in the past 15 years go out of business and thousands of rare and or needed parts crushed.  Some forum members remember these yards and decry that cars weren't somehow saved and they blame the yard owners.  No - it's OK.  each year auto manufacturers made millions of cars.  I can't tell you off hand but I suspect they made 10,000 or so 1960 Cadillac convertibles.  10,000! 

• Like 1

I bought this car on Craigslist for $600, $800 delivered. The picture is the arrival at home. Quarter cut out, no engine or trans, just a shell. After fees and shipping costs I netted $3200. Parts went all over the world to happy people. I still have about $500 worth of parts to sell AND I dumped the body off at a junkyard. (where it was bought the next day by a hobbyist).

Outside of one dinner out with my Wife, all the money went to my car hobby. That Caddy would net a similar amount but a little more outlay. That's the "is it worth" part.

Anyone restoring a rough one might say it was too much at the start, but somewhere around the 80% complete mark it could take on a whole new value to them.

If the car was $3200 I could be tempted to throw some "easy money" at it.

All depends on where the money comes from.

007.thumb.JPG.fb36ea86bcc49a5445cace0773cea0d9.JPG

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

Anyone restoring a rough one might say it was too much at the start, but somewhere around the 80% complete mark it could take on a whole new value to them.

If the car was $3200 I could be tempted to throw some "easy money" at it.

Agreed ! Now that's a realistic figure and we all know it... well, most of us...

But then the headache of dealing with the rust and trying to salvage some of those parts without them being destroyed at removal plus the time it would take, it's not justifiable.… but then again he'll knock off $200 if we buy his parts 60 😏

Again, not even close to realistic figures no matter how one looks at it. 

I say to those that have no problem with his price to put up then. I'm sure he'd appreciate it 😂

7 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Agreed ! Now that's a realistic figure and we all know it... well, most of us...

But then the headache of dealing with the rust and trying to salvage some of those parts without them being destroyed at removal plus the time it would take, it's not justifiable.… but then again he'll knock off $200 if we buy his parts 60 😏

Again, not even close to realistic figures no matter how one looks at it. 

I say to those that have no problem with his price to put up then. I'm sure he'd appreciate it 😂

If your only problem with it is the price you can make an offer, you're welcome

• Like 1