Newbie looking to get my first collectible.

Amberly

So, my post from yesterday dissapeared.  I have no idea...

II wanted to start looking at cars in person and these are the ones that I found of most interest.  Would anyone be willing to offer input?  Oh and the 50’s Willy’s Jeepster has $35,000 in it (so he says, but he’s 86 and said he’s on his way out, so hopefully honest) and he is selling it for 20.  Thank you for your help.  

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/chevrolet/corvair/2177480.html

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/ford/mustang/2123705.html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1956-Chevrolet-Bel-Air-150-210/254092292177?hash=item3b2914b051:g:eOEAAOSwRzZcSOd7&vxp=mtr

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1957-Chevrolet-Bel-Air-150-210-Belair/143099452303?hash=item2151645b8f:g:p0QAAOSwsqdcReH8&vxp=

https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars/1957/chevrolet/bel_air/101080180

ACC32B7C-75FB-4F01-A269-67E8BF64ECC4.jpeg

F6F6F153-B672-4D1B-B063-6D37464ADDF0.jpeg

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. According to the moderator logs it appears that you deleted your intial discussion. I assume you were attempting to edit or delete a single post and deleted the entire discussion accidentally. Please be careful when editing or deleting anything because once you delete it, there is no way to restore it. 

I did not see all of the discussion from your initial post, but will give you my own observations. I would urge you to join a local car club, hopefully there is an AACA Region or Chapter in your area. Getting to know folks in the hobby will enable them to share information about cars that will help you decide what you like. You will also probably find folks who are willing to let you drive different cars to learn more about them. Local club members often get first chance at cars for sale before they are advertised elsewhere.  

I bought my first antique car a couple of decades ago when I was in my early 30's. If I had joined my local AACA Chapter before I bought it, I would have learned a bit more about antique cars and would have made a better choice in purchasing my first antique car. I had fun with that rusty old Model A Ford, but with more information I could have made a better first choice. Figure out what you really like and then buy what makes you happy. I have purchased and sold a number of antique cars over the years. The one rule that I have learned over that time is that just because a car is cheap and close by does not make it the best car to buy. It took a few mistakes to learn that rule, but I think I have learned my lesson on that issue. It is a great hobby. You will meet lots of new friends. You will have fun. 

Those of us who are looking at any cars for you can give opinions about perceived value, condition, advice about things to look out for and other such issues but the most important thing is to buy what you like. I can tell you that you can't do better than a 1937 Buick, but that is what I love. You may not get the joy out of that particular car that I do. When you find what you love, ask about it, but don't buy something just because others tell you that is the best deal, or the best car. You have to buy what really speaks to you. If you do that, you will always enjoy owning it. Buying a car because you think it will be a "good investment" is probably a bad idea. Buy what you will enjoy looking at, working on, and driving. Welcome to the hobby!  

• Like 2

Of the five links you posted, I like the 1957 Bel Air 150/210 the best, and the fact that it is a 4-speed 327 sounds like fun to me.  I'm not a particular fan of '57 Chevys and this one has been mildly hot-rodded and has a tired looking interior; however, the shots of the underside of the car reveal that it is a mostly rust-free car.   Pay particular attention to the last two photos in the series that show the body mount "outriggers".  Although there appears to be some rust shown in the last photo, the areas shown look pretty good.  The floors also appear to be original and in good shape.  The fifth-from-last photo shows a bit of the body sheet metal in the lower fender well area, and these areas also appear to be intact.  Whether or not you choose to look further into this car, photos of this sort are the type you should request if they are not included in the initial listing information. 

All five of the linked cars are good choices in my opinion, because parts continue to be reasonably available, and technical advice is only a few mouse clicks away.

The Jeepster looks really nice, and would be fun car if you live in the S.E. United States.  I know next to nothing about Jeepsters, except to look for rust "in all of the usual places".

Good luck and keep us posted on your quest for your car.

Cheers,

Grog

Edited by capngrog
change wording (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I like the Mustang or the Corvair. They appear to be correct and original. None of the Chevys have the original engine or a finished interior. I am most familiar with Mustangs and this one appears to be priced at the going rate. There is no information about the willys.

• Like 3

Welcome. Again.

That jeepster is overpriced.  

Why must a "  classic " or "collector"  be an investment.  We don't think that about a new car. Or boat. Or any thing else, for the most part.  One must be aware of value, though. As Matthew advised, buy something YOU like. Even then, don't feel too committed . If it does not seem right later, move on.

Good luck

Ben

• Like 1

I agree the Jeep is overpriced and I think the 56-57 Chevies are mechanics specials that would take extra money to complete and would not be that nice when done considering the end cost.  

My knee-jerk opinion was that the Corvair looked best but a few details like the painted over serial plate make me think it is rougher than it looks.  I like the Mustang---I would want to examine in person but it looks pretty good so far, seems the least "messed with" and they will take less $$.  It is lower cost because it has a 6 cylinder but in my world a solid 6 cylinder convertible at a hardtop price equals a good deal.  Good luck, Todd C 

• Like 2

A common issue to look for on old cars like these 1956-57 Chevys is their having been “messed with.”  Many average cars for sale have been pieced together by someone of limited skill and/or budget just to turn a quick buck.  They will have cheap quickie paint jobs and cheap quickie interiors that are a turnoff to experienced collectors but to a newcomer may not raise a red flag until it is too late.  Likewise a mechanical example is that NO 1950s full size car had a floor shift so these were installed by a later owner and likely in an amateur fashion.  Many of our group referred you to our own Matt Harwood who has a vintage car dealership, you might Google his site just to see a selection of honest cars. 

Others can chime in but I would say common clues to a car’s rough past to look for are:

-seemingly shiny new paint but over tattered weather stripping or trim and/or with overspray on edges and/or inner fenders.        

-an incorrect replacement interior, often with cheap thick vinyl and thick piping like a booth in a diner or a generic gray velour cloth.  Someone there paid money for a job of little value just to make the car look presentable to an amateur buyer.

The beauty of the six cylinder Mustang here IMO is that it escaped the clutches of an amateur mechanic or the six would be gone and be replaced by a transplanted V8 of indeterminate quality.  The same could hold true of a six in any Mustang/Camaro/Firebird type car, Todd C

Edited by poci1957 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I think Corvairs represent incredible value at the moment and I suspect they won't be this cheap for much longer. Find a high-quality convertible Corvair, preferably one with a 4-speed and/or the Corsa turbocharged engine, and that would be the car to own. Great road manners, tidy handling, good power, easy to service, plenty of parts and knowledge. I just sold what might be the world's finest Corvair Corsa convertible with a turbo and a 4-speed for $30K--that was A LOT of car for the money. If it were a Camaro in that condition it would have been more than twice as expensive. Corvairs are a great choice and you might even get lucky and live on the appreciation curve for a while.

001.thumb.JPG.517db8eb0c01dd9767d80b603a38e707.JPG 054.thumb.JPG.d3f159618e50bcc3b72006dd5b899bf2.JPG 077.thumb.JPG.d8237f3b7f96736e606826445fa2c794.JPG

I would also vouch for a V8 Mustang of any type. A convertible might push your budget a bit, but there are REALLY nice V8 coupes for well under $25,000. I sold an extremely clean California car just today for $20,000. This was probably the nicest $20,000 car in the world.

001.thumb.JPG.da49871c5378c03e693e5b441225c17f.JPG

The right car will talk to you. Wait for it. You'll know it when it presents itself because you'll walk backwards to admire it as you walk away.

• Like 3

I don't know that Jeepster at 20 is not overpriced.  Yes you can buy a Jeepster for 10 to 12G.  It looks nothing like that one.    Jeepsters that nice (from what I see, plated, not painted parts,  a very smooth glassy finish to the paint, very nice instrument panel and very nice upholstery) are selling for 20 and up.  Especially if it drives as good as it looks.  Lets not forget about good looking cars with worn out suspension and a host of other problems that only specialty shops (not always easy to find) can properly diagnose and fix. 

I will say when looking,  if you stay as stock as possible you have a better chance of avoiding buying someone else's poorly engineered restorod. 

Also if you want to get an idea of how good a car was before they restored or refreshed it,  look at the chrome plating on the vent window assemblies and the dash/ interior parts.  These are often the last to get replaced and never do on crappy cars. 

I would try to stick with a stock interior as well.  Very few upgrades ever look right and most just look tired. 

The Corvair has a ton of paint on it and they painted several things that shouldn't be like the door strikers, vin plate etc.   There are better ones out there for the same or less money. 

The 57  4 door is overpriced for what it is.  The coral 57 2 door has a long list of problems I can see in the photos that you will if you go look at it.  The 56 4 door is overpriced as well with a bad interior.  Of those 5 the Mustang would be the best choice but it is at market so no bargain there just a good car to start with. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, auburnseeker said:

Also if you want to get an idea of how good a car was before they restored or refreshed it,  look at the chrome plating on the vent window assemblies and the dash/ interior parts.  These are often the last to get replaced and never do on crappy cars. 

Of those 5 the Mustang would be the best choice but it is at market so no bargain there just a good car to start with. 

This vent window comment is an excellent tip and the dash chrome was indeed my red flag on the Corvair. 

I agree the Mustang is not a bargain at $18,500 BUT note the seller said "negotiable" which means to me it could be a good deal if closer to $15,000 or maybe less.  Upon in-person inspection that is, and Mustang convertibles are notorious rust buckets so an inspection is a must, Todd C  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

I would also vouch for a V8 Mustang of any type. A convertible might push your budget a bit, but there are REALLY nice V8 coupes for well under $25,000. I sold an extremely clean California car just today for $20,000. This was probably the nicest $20,000 car in the world.

This is really good advice I always push the envelope and buy the best optioned higher horsepower models.   Broke the bank and bought a Fuelie 1960 Corvette and as Matt said it was something you walked backwards away from admiring it.  Drove wonderful and sold easily when I went to sell it. (I would still have it if I didn't need a bigger house)  People like right cars.  Once they are personalized with modernish components, especially paint and interior mods,  then your resale market really shrinks. 

• Like 1

I am not sure what State you live in Amberly, most of those cars are in FL. So I am guessing that you live in FL? That same $25,000 dollars can get you more bang for the buck in other States. Another good thing you can do, is place a wanted ad on different websites stating what you are looking for. A good way to see some cars that are not listed for sale. I think you can find better examples for your budget if you keep looking. The Mustang would be worth a closer look, but it is a 6 cylinder, that will limit the buying pool when you, sell years down the road. The salmon colored 57 hardtop would be worth a closer look, if you like the colors. A $25,000 dollar budget puts you in the drivers seat to find and purchase a very nice car. Do not get excited and rush into a purchase. There are a lot of dealers on here. And it is their job to find cars. Kick it out there what you are looking for. And keep looking. Going off of what you have said, I am guessing that none of the listed cars you have posted, really check all of the boxes, on your wish list.

• Like 2

Thank you again for all of your advice.  I truly appreciate you taking the time to write and express your opinions. I live in GA, north of Atlanta and will look for a car club to join.  The links I shared were ones that caught my attention and I could see myself enjoying.  However,  having you all look at the pictures, I feel like I will keep looking and definitely reach out to Mr. Hawrood.  I may check out the corvair and the “Jeepster” (supposedly in Concours condition). Honestly, the salmon Chevy suits my personality the best.  Thanks again for your time.  This is a great community.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Steer clear of Mr. Hawrood, sounds like a shady guy.:lol:

You know we are just kidding.  His cars seem well represented, described and definitely well photographed.

Is it the color you like most about the Chevy or the style? 

55-56 Oldsmobiles can be had much cheaper than Chevies and have great similar styling as well.  There has been what looks like a pretty nice tudor hardtop floating around on my local craigslist for I think 12,500 for a while. 

• Like 1

one thing I dont believe anyone mentioned, regarding the Mustang- it looks like the best car in the bunch for the money, but BEWARE the unibody. they are prone to rust rust rust.

If buying a Mustang, it must be put on a lift and carefully gone over.

Still think the jeepster is way overpriced, even if others dont. They have no power and so if you dont mind riding around at only 45mph, then a great parade car.

Haver seen old restorations on ebay for under 10k and not many people want them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mercer09 said:

Still think the jeepster is way overpriced, even if others dont. They have no power and so if you dont mind riding around at only 45mph, then a great parade car.

Haver seen old restorations on ebay for under 10k and not many people want them.

Yes tired restorations with rust out repaired with pop rivets and some JC whitney seatcovers.   If it's really done right we all know the money pits restorations  can be and how 2 restored cars vary drastically in final outcome,  even though from 100 feet away they look real similar. It's all the little stuff that sets two cars apart and often the expensive part in a restoration.  A correct original wire harness versus a painless $200 kit.  Some paint on an engine or a fully documented rebuild with everything new.   Bows for a top or a fully restored top that looks and fits right.   I guess I like Jeepsters a little though,  have never owned one,  but each car is what it is.  Not everyone wants a Muscle car that can do zero to 60 in 13 seconds,  same as alot of people avoid 20's to 30's cars because the lower end ones perform much like this jeepster.  

Does the Jeepster have an OD?  I think they were available and would solve the they won't do over 45 problem.   Jeep products have a cult following and always will.  But I like everything with greater interest in certain older eras so I can find something of interest in almost every era of car,  though you really have to look to find much to get excited about in the mid 70's and 80's.   Selling NOS parts for years I can tell you that is a wide ranging sentiment as those parts on a National Market never moved unless they were to something really special, even at a fraction of 30 to 40 year old retail prices without an inflation adjustment. 

Jeepsters are quite simple in design, thus one of the easiest cars to work on that you will ever find.

And there are several parts venders for Willys products.

At twenty grand its a bargain.

Be aware that it will drive like a 65, 70 year old car. (you don't mention the year)  But that's the fun part.

Another thig I noticed is that the links you show are for cars that you will see many of at the local cruise nights.

Some people thrive on that, however I like to be the guy that has something different than everybody else.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, nick8086 said:

How are you going to pay for the car? Cash

What is your budget to spend on the car?

20/4/10 rule 

Cash and I’d like to stay around 20.  This is my first car...... 

14 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

You know we are just kidding.  His cars seem well represented, described and definitely well photographed.

Is it the color you like most about the Chevy or the style? 

55-56 Oldsmobiles can be had much cheaper than Chevies and have great similar styling as well.  There has been what looks like a pretty nice tudor hardtop floating around on my local craigslist for I think 12,500 for a while. 

Yes, I know you are kidding.  I like the style... Of course I am a girl and love the salmon....   I forgot why some people didn’t like this car..... .  Ihttps://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars/1957/chevrolet/bel_air/101080180

I would be interested in the Oldsmobile.  Can you send me the link?  I’m not opposed to anything.  I guess I want the ultimate cool and classy car....  It make take some time to get my ultimate, but I want a great starter if possible.  I do live near Atlanta, so going to car shows, I need something that can handle traffic, if possible.  

I am out on the Jeepster.  It’s nice, but going that slow would frustrate me.  I was going to have my dad go look at the turquoise Belair, but most of you agree it’s not worth it?  

Thx

Edited by Amberly (see edit history)

17 minutes ago, Amberly said:

I am out on the Jeepster.  It’s nice, but going that slow would frustrate me.

If the overdrive is working it will go 55 or 60 easily.

Mine is a 4 cyl flathead, Its not a race car but keeps up pretty good.

They call that engine the 'Go Devil'.

If you need yo travel at eighty then you need to get into the mid to late 50s at least. And then just the big cars.

When I was young and the Mustangs and Camaros were new the guys I ran with considered them as a**holes. Everybody had one.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)
  • Like 1

This is probably more of food for thought as to what's out there as it's in RI so you would have probably a 1200-1500 transport charge on top of that.  It looks pretty good and I can vouch that an olds v8 in the 50's is no slouch.  Power steeriong and brakes will make it a little easier to drive.   I have a 56 88 2 door hardtop with no power options and even a manual transmission.  It drives very well,  stopping and steering easily.  The interior in this car doens't look perfect but does look original (the whole car seems to look pretty original) so some wear should be expected especially on the interior. 

They are asking 14G

https://providence.craigslist.org/cto/d/warwick-1955-oldsmobile-88/6776158224.html

00d0d_iBadb9BGFwP_600x450.jpg

01616_FRuX78kUDR_600x450.jpg

01010_ev7MlKpTX5a_600x450.jpg

01111_gI1mrtClx3f_600x450.jpg

00I0I_1U7zLeTDC5c_600x450.jpg

00101_8dgrkfaaivJ_600x450.jpg

• Like 2

Here is a pretty tasty 1950 Cadillac in your neck of the woods.  Listed at 22,900 as an asking price,  which means negotiable so maybe real close to the top of your budget.  This will easily cruise highway speeds with a Cadillac Ride.  They feel like Grandma's couch when you sit in them.   I had a 50 Fleetwood sedan.  It ran very smooth.  You could hardly hear it run.   Not as Flashy as a salmon 57 Chevy but just an idea of what's out there. 

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/d/alpharetta-beautiful-1950-cadillac/6771477420.html

00101_jVEKjeDpqsy_600x450.jpg

00z0z_dyVyYg2mYMY_600x450.jpg

01515_l0yJ3v3wGjS_600x450.jpg

00d0d_6Cx3GoU7KqW_600x450.jpg

00R0R_2FT4CdSeYv8_600x450.jpg

01313_jCUT2c0yNa9_600x450.jpg

• Like 2

You wouldn't pay as much,  but I think this one is priced possibly accordingly already. I haven't seen one that nice in that price range with any interior.   4 Doors are usually priced in that range in that condition.  Again,  not saying this is the car you should buy,  just a sample of what's out there. This one being in your neighborhood also shows what may be in your relative proximity as well not just great looking cars in CA or AZ or some other far off state.  

Is the interior the correct pattern,  just the wrong material?  I know that's very common when the cost of leather is quite high to begin with so many people choose a similar vinyl to keep the price down.  

On any car if you need to do an interior and it's not one of the very common cars they make kits for,  an interior can easily run 6 to 10G. 

Chrome plating is extremely expensive as well so be sure whatever you buy, you are happy with the way that is or have enough to fix it the way you want it.  Paint jobs again run 6 to 10 G to start and are probably the worst thing because you tend to then start doing other things while you are there that add up real fast.  Rubber, trim work, etc. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mercer09 said:

I like the 88, but looking at the interior wouldnt go over 10k.

would be a real good first car and the engine can wind out.

Unfortunately from what I have seen around,  any at  or below 10 might not even have an interior and will need paint and chrome.   I could show you piles of cars that fit that bill.    I would say that these two examples represent 2 cars that passed the initial muster out of probably several hundred that didn't.   

I just like relaying so I'll keep posting possibilities or atleast comps to use in your search. 

Amberly,  what is your comfortable distance you would be willing to entertain cars from? 

It always make sense to buy the best car you can afford in a particular price bracket. Obviously the best '57 Chevy convertible is going to be expensive, but the best 1966 Mustang coupe isn't. Buying a tired example of an expensive car is an ideal way to burn through a lot of money without ever having a great car. However, buying a high-quality example of an inexpensive car will get you in the game immediately with a car that you can use without spending a lot of extra money. You can show it proudly and enjoy all the events and have it living in your garage without worrying about how you're going to take it to the next level, and when the time comes to sell it, it will be much easier to sell. If a car needs paint or chrome or interior I'd skip it, no matter what it is. Even if it's a dream car and you think you can get into your dream car and invest a little elbow grease to improve it, it doesn't often work that way. Cars with needs tend to stay cars with needs until you've spent way more than you wanted to, which kind of defeats the purpose of having a budget. If you have $90,000 to restore a car, you should be looking at $90,000 cars that are already finished. If you have $25,000, you shouldn't be looking at $10,000 cars that still need $30,000 worth of work.

At $25,000, I urge you to skip any high-end cars with needs no matter how tantalizing they may be. Look at mid-priced to low-priced cars (Mustang, Corvair, 4-door sedans, non-numbers-matching, etc.) with no needs and on which someone has already spent the $30-70,000 to restore it to a high standard. You will enjoy the car more, you will enjoy the hobby more, and you won't have to keep shoveling money into a bottomless pit.

• Like 8

It may have already been mentioned, but it would help if you can have someone experienced with cars (if you don't feel that you are) to go with you to look at any you are considering.  Paint can hide a lot.  Freshly rebuilt motor means nothing nor do most of the descriptive words people use.   Meeting the owner and talking with them can sometimes tell you more about the car and its history than photos on the web.  You are considering spending a large chunk of money, you want to the best you can to avoid disappointment or inheriting someone's problems or crappy work.  You probably already know this but any older car like  this is going to be more maintenance than today's cars.  Wish you the best of luck. Also from near your neck of the woods-Woodstock GA

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

It always make sense to buy the best car you can afford in a particular price bracket. Obviously the best '57 Chevy convertible is going to be expensive, but the best 1966 Mustang coupe isn't. Buying a tired example of an expensive car is an ideal way to burn through a lot of money without ever having a great car. However, buying a high-quality example of an inexpensive car will get you in the game immediately with a car that you can use without spending a lot of extra money. You can show it proudly and enjoy all the events and have it living in your garage without worrying about how you're going to take it to the next level, and when the time comes to sell it, it will be much easier to sell. If a car needs paint or chrome or interior I'd skip it, no matter what it is. Even if it's a dream car and you think you can get into your dream car and invest a little elbow grease to improve it, it doesn't often work that way. Cars with needs tend to stay cars with needs until you've spent way more than you wanted to, which kind of defeats the purpose of having a budget. If you have $90,000 to restore a car, you should be looking at $90,000 cars that are already finished. If you have $25,000, you shouldn't be looking at $10,000 cars that still need $30,000 worth of work.

At $25,000, I urge you to skip any high-end cars with needs no matter how tantalizing they may be. Look at mid-priced to low-priced cars (Mustang, Corvair, 4-door sedans, non-numbers-matching, etc.) with no needs and on which someone has already spent the $30-70,000 to restore it to a high standard. You will enjoy the car more, you will enjoy the hobby more, and you won't have to keep shoveling money into a bottomless pit.

Was about to chime in with exactly this. 

To it I would add:  shop a little below your budget. If there is an “extra” $5,000 dollars in the plan it can be used to pay for travel to go look at prospective cars, pay an inspector to evaluate a car you can’t travel to, ship a car you may buy from some distance away, or pay for the first repair that may come up.  Best case scenario is it leaves you with funds to attend a national meet of whatever marque vehicle you buy!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Amberly said:

I forgot why some people didn’t like this car..... .  Ihttps://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars/1957/chevrolet/bel_air/101080180

I don't think anyone ever answered your question on this one again.

I saw it when it first hit hemmings and thought boy that seems like a good buy,  then I looked closer at the pictures,  which fortunately there are quite a few.  

The paint looks like a kind of poor quicky respray to sell it.  It has alot of orange peel  (texture) to it as well as they painted over alot of stuff that shouldn't be.   I would be worried about what's under the paint.  Most of the chrome is very tired, though they call it good shape.  The bumpers look badly scratched.  Many other pieces are pitted.    To me without going any further,  it's somebodies old beater with a little quick freshening to sell it.  I would avoid that one.  There was one I had been seeing on My local craigslist for low 20's that looked very good and had alot of new stuff done to it over the years,  but of course I couldn't find when I saw your post.   A little patience will yield you a really nice car.  Being able to act quick and not have to figure out how to come up with the money will put you in a good position when the right car comes along. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, gossp said:

To it I would add:  shop a little below your budget. If there is an “extra” $5,000 dollars in the plan it can be used to pay for travel to go look at prospective cars, pay an inspector to evaluate a car you can’t travel to, ship a car you may buy from some distance away, or pay for the first repair that may come up.  Best case scenario is it leaves you with funds to attend a national meet of whatever marque vehicle you buy!

Or better yet,  shop a little above your budget.  The return of spending a little more up front is amazing.   

I think every car I have bought always was just a little over but ended up being hands down worlds better than the ones that fit right in my budget.  

I would also use as a rule of thumb it's not unusual for a car to be priced about 10 percent above what the seller is really looking to get,  especially if the ad says negotiable or asking.   So alot of 22,500 cars can be bought for your budget price.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

This is probably more of food for thought as to what's out there as it's in RI so you would have probably a 1200-1500 transport charge on top of that.  It looks pretty good and I can vouch that an olds v8 in the 50's is no slouch.  Power steeriong and brakes will make it a little easier to drive.   I have a 56 88 2 door hardtop with no power options and even a manual transmission.  It drives very well,  stopping and steering easily.  The interior in this car doens't look perfect but does look original (the whole car seems to look pretty original) so some wear should be expected especially on the interior. 

They are asking 14G

https://providence.craigslist.org/cto/d/warwick-1955-oldsmobile-88/6776158224.html

I actually reall like that. Is that close to you?  

4 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Here is a pretty tasty 1950 Cadillac in your neck of the woods.  Listed at 22,900 as an asking price,  which means negotiable so maybe real close to the top of your budget.  This will easily cruise highway speeds with a Cadillac Ride.  They feel like Grandma's couch when you sit in them.   I had a 50 Fleetwood sedan.  It ran very smooth.  You could hardly hear it run.   Not as Flashy as a salmon 57 Chevy but just an idea of what's out there. 

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/d/alpharetta-beautiful-1950-cadillac/6771477420.html

I actually really like this one.  I’m definitely going to check this out.  

12 minutes ago, Amberly said:

I actually reall like that. Is that close to you?  

Unfortunately it's quite a ways away.  I think there may be some members in that area though if you do decide to persue it further.  Maybe they would be willing to check it out.  Best thing is to contact the seller and ask for a bunch of extra photos.  Post them here and we can point out the positives and negatives of this or any other car you find. Photos show alot more than people think if you know how to read them. 

I have bought several cars from just photos.

I can also tell you I have avoided going to look at alot of cars by really scrutinizing pictures. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thank you all again.  I don’t really mind to travel.  I have connections 😉 at Delta.  Again, will have to consider the shipping home.  

Wow, lots of food for thought.   I will have an inspector take a look at whatever car I’m thinking about, hopefully referred by a fellow AACA member.    Thanks for checking out some things for me and passing them along.  

I think the search makes for a good reality show.  

• Like 1