Triple plating over JB Weld????

37PackardMan

If you're trying to save money by filling the pits yourself I'd say forget it. I doubt that most,if any, platers will do a job that they haven't prepped themselves.They wouldn't want to be liable in case  of failure. I'd just let the plater do his thing and I think you'd be better off in the long run. Just my opinion! I know that my comment doesn't answer the question though.

• Like 1

I posed the question as a curiosity because I have never seen it discussed in print.

Hopefully the discussion benefits someone doing a restoration.

The only way to fill pits prior to plating is with solder. The pits are ground out to parent metal, the part is copper plated, and then the pits are hand filled with solder and smoothed out. Once filled, the part is then copper, nickel, and finally chrome plated as usual. this is why it is so expensive to replate pitted parts.

• Like 3

No, plating will not adhere to any type of epoxy. A plating shop will fill the holes with solder or in some cases weld. If the holes are very small they will copper plate and sand it as many times as necessary to level the holes. Do the job right and you won't regret it.

• Like 1

We all know that plastic is used as an insulation for wires, and we also know that most, if not all, the bright work on new cars, is really chrome plated plastic,

So far, this discussion has touched on JB Weld and solder.

What about 3M Bondo 90451 Metal Reinforced Filler or the other filler....All Metal????..

Do they not have electrical conductivity?????

I have not seen an epoxy type product that was electrically conductive. Even the metal powder containing types.

Even my tests on U-Pol weld through primer were not always very conductive, but I continue to use it for EMI sensitive surfaces. Better conductivity than rust.

Chrome plating plastic, if we are talking real chrome plating, involves depositing a conductive coating onto the plastic. Not something a typical show chrome shop does. But they could have bought a system, so ask.

Lots of chrome plated plastic on the market. Mostly for OEM large orders, not individual owned parts.

https://www.cybershieldinc.com/chrome-plating-plastic/

Electroplating a bumper and "chrome" plastic trim are two entirely different processes. I am no expert on either one. However I do not believe the two methods work interchangeably.

I know what Rusty O says is basically true.  I have talked with platers that claimed they could chrome ANYTHING, and I don't think they were lying. I saw a pair of chrome plated baby shoes once. The plater said he did it because a plater's kid's baby shoes shouldn't be "bronzed".

While it may be possible to chrome plastic and steel together (I don't know?), I suspect the effort (and therefore cost) would be more than any savings by using plastics to fill pinholes. Usually, heavy copper plating is used to fill small surface defects. Copper plating is fairly simple, fast, and can be done heavily.

Back in the fifties my father had a plating outfit in the basement for plating baby shoes.That is where I learned about electroplating. You can plate plastic but not recommended for cars, or articles exposed to the weather where durability is required. Best is to copper plate, fill holes with solder, then copper nickel and chrome.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

8 hours ago, capngrog said:

As I recall from my younger daze, when I built plastic model cars, the plastic bumpers, trim etc. were all chrome plated. 

Cheers,

Grog

"Chrome plated" plastic isn't chrome, it is vacuum deposited aluminum.  Yes, there are places that will triple chrome plate plastic parts. They start by putting a conductive coating on first (like the vacuum deposited aluminum), they the copper/nickel/chrome layers.  I doubt that is either feasible or practical for a single epoxy-filled zit in pot metal. 

I'm guessing the OP's question is because he has a quote from a reputable chrome shop to repair a pitted piece of pot metal and choked on the price.  Good luck finding a reputable chrome shop that will even accept a part that the owner has done a half-fast repair on like the proposed epoxy filling.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

Lots of chrome plated plastic on the market. Mostly for OEM large orders, not individual owned parts.

https://www.cybershieldinc.com/chrome-plating-plastic/

"Not individual owned parts" in big red letters on their web page, in fact.  Also, if you read their info, they do exactly what I mentioned above. They vacuum deposit electroless nickel on the plastic part to make it conductive, then plate it like metal. ABS only, not bastardized metal/epoxy parts.