1935 or 1937 Dodge Brothers Truck

So the next question is where would the vin be. It’s not on the door and I don’t see one on the firewall. However I’m accustomed to vin on cars quite a bit younger so I may be misssing it. I appreciate your help identifying the vintage. My great grand father left me this tuck and can’t find the title so I’m trying to figure out how to title it which starts with a VIN. Thanks in advance 

No such thing as VIN's in 1935:-   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_identification_number

May be a frame number.  Will have an engine serial number

Several guys here on the forum are very knowledgeable about mid 30 Mopar's

Look down the forum in http://forums.aaca.org/forum/43-dodge-trucks/

This thread http://forums.aaca.org/topic/313138-1935-dodge-kc-truck/

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

43 minutes ago, 1939_Buick said:

No such thing as VIN's in 1935:-   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_identification_number

May be a frame number.  Will have an engine serial number

Several guys here on the forum are very knowledgeable about mid 30 Mopar's

Look down the forum in http://forums.aaca.org/forum/43-dodge-trucks/

This thread http://forums.aaca.org/topic/313138-1935-dodge-kc-truck/

Thank you for that information - I'm having a challenge I'm not sure how to get it titled? We've looked through years and years of files from my great grandparents and come up with zero information. 

Title laws vary greatly from state to state.  You will get better information if you tell us what state it was last registered in, if there is a license plate on it (what state) and what state you are trying to register it in.  Also, in those years, most states used the motor number to title vehicles rather than the body number.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 61polara said:

Title laws vary greatly from state to state.  You will get better information if you tell us what state it was last registered in, if there is a license plate on it (what state) and what state you are trying to register it in.  Also, in those years, most states used the motor number to title vehicles rather than the body number.

It's the obvious that usually escapes me sorry about that. I'm in Oregon. The truck has an Oregon Plate (pictured on the right) the plate pictured on the left is a plate I found in the truck. I have no clue if its the original plate. Heck until a few posts ago I thought my lil 1935 was a 1937. Thank you again.

Photo on 7-9-18 at 2.15 PM.jpg

fullsizeoutput_6f7.jpeg

The tag on the front of the truck is your first clue as the truck has been registered under it.  Since you inherited it, the administrator of the estate should have the right to request a title search from the tag number through Oregon DMV and request a duplicate title.  The estate administrator can then sign the duplicate title over to you with a letter of testamentary.  This is general information based on what I have done in other states.  Forum members from Oregon will give you more specific Oregon information.  Some states have specific laws to deal with issues like this, but others don't.  Good luck.

• Like 2

1935 second series as the 1st series still had the suicide doors. Carried this style cab for several years. '36 trucks had the same front end styling as the '36cars and '37's were quite similar to the '36's.

• Like 1

I think most states used the serial number which is on a plate on the passenger door hinge post - it also may be stamped on the frame above the rear axle on the driver side.  Some states may have used the engine serial number which is on the front left of the block below the head.  The engine serial number is preceded by a model code - D followed by a letter and/or 1 or 2 numbers.  The model code varies by year so it may be helpful in identifying the year of the truck.  Finally, there is a firewall plate over the steering column with a body code followed by a serial number for the particular body.  The door post serial number does not follow VIN format so some states attach a plate or sticker with a VIN when the vehicle is re-titled.  If all the above are missing, probably your only hope is to trace a previous registration and/or if you know which company insured the truck, they might be of some help.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dave Mellor NJ said:

Definitely 35. 33,34 and early 35s had the suicide doors. The conventional doors make it later 35. Nice truck 

Edmon35DodgePU.jpg

5 hours ago, jpage said:

1935 second series as the 1st series still had the suicide doors. Carried this style cab for several years. '36 trucks had the same front end styling as the '36cars and '37's were quite similar to the '36's.

7 hours ago, IAMPATRICKSMITH said:

It's the obvious that usually escapes me sorry about that. I'm in Oregon. The truck has an Oregon Plate (pictured on the right) the plate pictured on the left is a plate I found in the truck. I have no clue if its the original plate. Heck until a few posts ago I thought my lil 1935 was a 1937. Thank you again.

Photo on 7-9-18 at 2.15 PM.jpg

fullsizeoutput_6f7.jpeg

12 hours ago, Dave Mellor NJ said:

Definitely 35. 33,34 and early 35s had the suicide doors. The conventional doors make it later 35. Nice truck 

Edmon35DodgePU.jpg

Here's a quick question - where is the Fram number located on the 1935 Dodge brothers truck? 

23 minutes ago, IAMPATRICKSMITH said:

Here's a quick question - where is the Fram number located on the 1935 Dodge brothers truck? 

8 minutes ago, pont35cpe said:

Check the front frame rail behind the wheel. From what I`ve read, number could be on either side, depending where it was assembled. Look close, may be hard to spot..

I said over driver side rear axle but yeah, could also be front axle and/or passenger side - and yes, it's often hard to see.  I've heard it described as being stamped by a young child with a tack hammer - obviously a joke but pretty accurate as to legibility.

• Like 1

I can not find the frame number scrapping dusting etc no luck I do have the block number. I called our local DMV here in Oregon and they don't have registration info dating back to the last time the car was registered. How in the world do I title this thing? Vermont?

Resized_20180731_174356.jpg

Edited by IAMPATRICKSMITH
spelling (see edit history)

20 minutes ago, IAMPATRICKSMITH said:

I guess i'l wait for the wizard - should I click my boots together or something? Is a their a magic word to make him appear? Kidding. It's been a long day. Thanks for everyones help   

Keiser also is Dodge guy and seems to run across an inordinate number of old cars, of which he posts pics on the forum.  ?

1 hour ago, IAMPATRICKSMITH said:

I can not find the frame number scrapping dusting etc no luck I do have the block number. I called our local DMV here in Oregon and they don't have registration info dating back to the last time the car was registered. How in the world do I title this thing? Vermont?

Resized_20180731_174356.jpg

So, the only number you have is the engine number which won't do you any good, especially since it's a Plymouth.  And the DMV doesn't have records anyway.  Dunno how OR works but I can think of only one other possible option.  Can you and/or the estate executor file for a lost title replacement?  Probably have to have your grandfather's death certificate and documentation of the executor's appointment and/or your inheritance of the truck.  Also might have to post a bond in case there's a later claim against your ownership.

• Like 1

I wish I could offer some help.

Oregon is tough but at least you have the advantage of it coming from family.

I would take it to the DMV and ask for advice. They may want a vin inspection which costs about seven bucks at their office.

I know that any vehicle coming from out of state requires that VIN inspection and not required for in state transfers but it couldn't hurt.

Also, there are big differences between DMV offices and DMV employees. You might be trailering it around some to different facilities until you find someone that is willing to help.

Bring all and any paper work including death certificates and executer statements.

Good luck, this can be a frustrating endeavor. But you might just get lucky.

5 hours ago, mercer09 said:

I can help you with titling

best to use the engine number at this point.

Vermont will kill you on taxes..............

rdz69@aol.com

Problem is, it's a Plymouth passenger car engine in a Dodge truck that's at least 10 years older.  Granted, most DMV employees probably won't know the difference but there's always the possibility that one will.

OK Chud,

so your suggestion is what?

That number is integral to the vehicle, should it be stolen.

Glad to hear a better answer............. hot rodders use their newer engine numbers and being the wrong engine, would fall into the same category to me.

• 6 months later...

Hi Patrick. We bought this truck and did find the vin on the right side of the frame. There was a cab tag on the engine side of the firewall . Someone had mounted a regulator on top of that tag and removed the plate above it in order to attach the aftermarket horn. I just accidentally came across this picture! Crazy. If you find any other pieces-like the plate that was removed (I bet it was put in a safe place) or literature/pictures,  I can’t wait to see if your uncle has any pictures or even stories as we’d emailed.  Did your grandpa buy this truck new? The truck started right away and Alvin is repairing the brakes. I love it! Thank you.

• Like 2

I did tell you that it is a 2nd series 35, 119” wheelbase, and yes, it has a Plymouth 46-48 motor that runs!  And it was one of the last ones built in LA, CA.  A little background is that shortly after we got married, we’d bought a 36 Dodge truck for 75.00 (it was only a 30 yr old truck at that time) Our parents pestered us to no end to get rid of it so after a while, we did. Regretted it ever since. Tried to find it a few times with no luck. So we are restoring this 35 KCL and loving every minute!  It’s not the same truck; but close enough to make us happy! Thank you

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1