midman

Interesting & Wild Car & Motorcycle Accesories

OK, somewhere on here I'm sure this was done before, but part of the fun of this hobby are the strange and wonderful accessories for our antique vehicles. I am always on the lookout for this stuff and I have some unique items I'll share as we go, but I'd like to see what else is being collected out there.

I'll start with my newest item. The Testophone. An early 1900's aftermarket horn that I believe came in 4 and 8 trumpet versions. Each time you press the bulb the horn toots and then changes to the next horn for the next toot using a ratcheting barrel in the middle of the body activated by the air pressure of the bulb. I picked this one up at an estate auction. The horns were loaded with ancient bugs so you know it was used, and the last person to tinker with it went crazy with threadlocker binding up the mechanism and every thread on the thing. After lots of penetrant, heat, and unfortunately some modifications to disassemble it, it now works as designed. 

I'll add some more of my crazy accessories later but I'd like to see what else is out there.

Chuck

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

• Like 3

I had one in the mid 80s.  My boss back then, was into pop engines and whatnot and always went to the belly-up farm auctions.  A day after the auction he went back to ask the farmer a question about something he bought, and one thing was never bid on was the Testophone so the farmer gave it to him, then I ended up with it. 

No internet to know about it, so all I saw were French words like Arret, which later I learned was Stop.  I forget if I sold it or gave it away.  Before I got it, one guy at the shop took all the horns off and never marked where they went, so it could not play the tune correctly.

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 7:12 PM, F&J said:

into pop engines

Hit'n'Miss ?

1 minute ago, padgett said:

Hit'n'Miss ?

Yes, that is one "type" of the loosely defined "pop engine"

Hit/Miss is where the ignition only fires when RPM drops to a preset point.  That is to conserve fuel.  It hits more often as a load is placed on the engine, when the "machine it powers" starts working harder.

One other type is "throttle governed", much the same principle as your simple push lawn mower....the grass is thicker, placing more load, then the "air flow governor" makes the throttle open more.

I'm also interested in vintage, unusual turn signal lights and mechanisms. There were dozens of different ways that were come up with to signal 

Here is an aftermarket light cluster I liked because of the spelling and colors. This will probably go on the center of the rear bumper of my Buick even though it sort of looks like a motorcycle set up.

IMG_0103.JPG

• Like 1

I have this. If you are interested PM me.

IMG_0135.JPG

IMG_0136.JPG

IMG_0137.JPG

Here is an over the top horn or it may be a musical instrument however you look at it. I seen this at Hershey 2015

2015-10-09 hershey 2015 001.JPG

29 minutes ago, Joe in Canada said:

Here is an over the top horn or it may be a musical instrument however you look at it. I seen this at Hershey 2015

Now that is cool. I would have liked to heard it. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled at Hershey this year.

Edited by midman (see edit history)

This topic crosses over into a lot of areas - i also have a collection of accessories, turn signals, lamps and lighting related stuff, IMG_3301.thumb.JPG.ecf722e1115571b94213871a4b72f968.JPG radiator caps, spark plugs, gadgets and gizmos of all kinds. I even collect early catalogs that show the early accessories. I've got a lot of different stop lights too and have a few mounted in this display that actually lights up.  That's a great Testophone horn by the way.  They made them with multiple  trumpets and i've seen six and eight trumpet versions.  The more the horns, the higher the price.  My accessory collection(s) are exhibited in my recreated 1915 era auto parts store on the second floor of my car barn.  It's a great place to hang out!  I'm going to enjoy this thread and will post a few more pictures later.

Terry

IMG_3300.JPG

Briglow turn signal.jpg

IMG_1076.JPG

IMG_0148.JPG

Charles Miller early catalog.jpg

• Like 1

Terry,

That is a heck of a collection. Isn't that hand signal a Naillik? I am still hunting for one of those. They also wrote a booklet, The Story of the Hand which I am gonna find one of these days. 

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Chuck

The hand signal is by Bri-Glo and it's made in the UK.  The hand lights up as it swings out to signal.   I collect too many things - but, it's a lot of fun and I'm glad I started when I did.   Love all the crazy things made for Model T Fords.

Terry

Terry, I'm really enjoying seeing these photos. What a great collection.  Your auto parts display must be an incredibly awesome thing to see in person.  These are the types of things that a guy like me can marvel at the craftsmanship and creativity of them for hours.  Truly items of another time which show just how far we have fallen with regards to quality made items and our current acceptance of cheaply made products.  Most new items we buy today are essentially garbage when compared to the stuff built in the era of your collection.

Absolutely marvellous stuff, hope you can find time to post some more pictures.

Edited by Modeleh (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 5/26/2017 at 6:22 PM, midman said:

OK, somewhere on here I'm sure this was done before, but part of the fun of this hobby are the strange and wonderful accessories for our antique vehicles. I am always on the lookout for this stuff and I have some unique items I'll share as we go, but I'd like to see what else is being collected out there.

I'll start with my newest item. The Testophone. An early 1900's aftermarket horn that I believe came in 4 and 8 trumpet versions. Each time you press the bulb the horn toots and then changes to the next horn for the next toot using a ratcheting barrel in the middle of the body activated by the air pressure of the bulb. I picked this one up at an estate auction. The horns were loaded with ancient bugs so you know it was used, and the last person to tinker with it went crazy with threadlocker binding up the mechanism and every thread on the thing. After lots of penetrant, heat, and unfortunately some modifications to disassemble it, it now works as designed. 

I'll add some more of my crazy accessories later but I'd like to see what else is out there.

Chuck

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

How about a video so we can hear it?

Agree a video clip on the horn would be great.  I really enjoy seeing stuff in its original packaging with all the advertising and outrageous claims -"guaranteed forever" is something we see even to this day!!!

Here is a pic of a testophone with original instruction sheet. Looks like there were different replacement cylinders available that would play different tunes.   Wish it was in my collection.   I've added a couple of additional pics showing some model T accessories and some misc lighting stuff.   Enjoy.

Terry

Testophone horn.jpg

IMG_9546.JPG

20160508_154655.jpg

20160508_155011.jpg

I'll get a video up next week on the horn.

In the mean time here is a vintage ad and another variation of the le Testophone

IMG_0105.PNG

IMG_0106.PNG

Wow, that's some set of trumpets!  Love those horns and would like to add a nice one to my horn collection.  Hershey is coming!  Somewhere in my collection of automotive sheet music I have a song about these horns.  I'll have to dig it out and take a photo.

Terry

OK , I've been on another kick. I did not realize there were so many unusual inkwells and ash trays related to antique cars. Now I'm starting to collect some of them. I just bought this one and I have a couple more couple more coming(sorry had to sell the horn to help pay for my new must haves).

Not sure of the age or what it is made from but it is about a foot long. The hood opens to reveal an inkwell.

What do you have out there that are inkwells or ashtrays?

IMG_0122.JPG

Edited by midman (see edit history)

Was just wondering where this thread would lead - inkwells you ask - here are a few from my collection.  There are two types of trays I also collect, true ash trays and calling card trays.  Will post a few tray pics separately in a bit.

Terry

Inkwell 5.jpg

Inkwell piece.jpg

Inkwell with early auto on the road.jpg

Ash tray and inkwell combined.jpg

Bronze car inkwell with hood up.jpg

Inkwell.JPG

• Like 1

On ‎2017‎-‎05‎-‎27 at 5:51 PM, midman said:

I'm also interested in vintage, unusual turn signal lights and mechanisms. There were dozens of different ways that were come up with to signal 

Here is an aftermarket light cluster I liked because of the spelling and colors. This will probably go on the center of the rear bumper of my Buick even though it sort of looks like a motorcycle set up.

IMG_0103.JPG

This 1914 Galt has a similar signal light setup:  http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?47115-Orphan-of-the-Day-12-20-1914-Galt-Gas-Electric&styleid=1

Craig

Crazy cool stuff! We happen across lots of early and odd auto accessories as part of our antiques business, but most get sold on to new owners and so I don’t mind the ethereal aspect of being a temporary curator.

@Terry Bond Jason Torchinsky over at Jalopnik posted an entire article about the lighted hand signal you’ve got. I may need to let him know about the info you guys provided on this thread. 

https://jalopnik.com/im-pretty-sure-this-mysterious-mechanical-hand-is-the-h-1819008715