looking at a panel delivery and have questions

benjamin j

i went to look at a 1951 chevy panel delivery thats in bad shape. it has curved glass windshield and missing the back door. i dont see much of anything for these on the internet or ebay for sale. are they hard to get parts for? is a 1951 chevy panel delivery kind of unusual? thanks 

1 hour ago, benjamin j said:

i went to look at a 1951 chevy panel delivery thats in bad shape. it has curved glass windshield and missing the back door. i dont see much of anything for these on the internet or ebay for sale. are they hard to get parts for? is a 1951 chevy panel delivery kind of unusual? thanks 

You may want to look for a door first. Then get the car. Try this yard for a door....http://www.bigmauto.com/

Do what you can to drive or get a ride in one. A friend had a '51 Chevy sedan delivery about 25 years ago. I drove it 50 miles one afternnpon and still remember how it felt like I was driving a cave. All dark inside and you can feel that big, dark, empty hollow area behind you. When my Wife gets home from the library I will ask her if she remembers the orange Chevy delivery. I am sure she will. Some cars are nicer to look at than ride in.

Bernie

• Like 2

thanks guys I thought i was going to look at a 1951 chevy panel truck but when got there it was obvious it was car based and it became more interesting. I started looking for parts online while i was looking at the sedan delivery and found very little in the way of parts for it. would a 1951 chevy sedan have the same windshield? the a pillars are very bad on this one. its a hard decision the guy has the title and wants $500 for the sedan.   

1 hour ago, 60FlatTop said:

Do what you can to drive or get a ride in one. A friend had a '51 Chevy sedan delivery about 25 years ago. I drove it 50 miles one afternnpon and still remember how it felt like I was driving a cave. All dark inside and you can feel that big, dark, empty hollow area behind you. When my Wife gets home from the library I will ask her if she remembers the orange Chevy delivery. I am sure she will. Some cars are nicer to look at than ride in.

Bernie

i drive something similar now and i dont mind that big dark area back there. i had a 50 chevy panel also and drove it a lot but i can see how that cave feeling could be a little weird for some people. 

I would think station wagon parts would fit except for the rear door. Keiser is right. Be sure you can find the rear door. Without it the car is pretty much useless. I don't have any first hand knowledge, but the 1949 throgh 1952 models appear to be similar.

Doni

I have both a 1947 Chevrolet Sedan Delivery and a 1948 Chevrolet two door sedan.  Although they (the 1946 - 1948 models) are obviously different from the later model body styles, I think that the commonality of parts from one series (within a model year) to another would be similar.  For example, the front and rear fenders, hood, windshields and front doors can be interchanged between body styles of the '46-'48 models; however, the Sedan delivery front doors are from the 4-door sedan series, not the two-door.  The front body clips of all Chevrolet Sedan Deliveries (through the 1960 model year) were the same as the passenger car models of the same year.  The rear door is unique to the Sedan Delivery and can be difficult to find.  What is even more difficult to find is the rear bumper, which (on the '46-'48 models) is dished in the middle to facilitate loading/unloading through the rear door. 

As to the "driving in a cave feeling", that has never bothered me, and I have the worst "cave-making" interior possible ... all black.:o  The cave-like phenomenon can be greatly reduced by having an interior of a lighter color, such as grey or tan.

I've had my Sedan Delivery for over 11 years now, and have no plans to sell it.:D 

Cheers,

Grog

6 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

It's been a few years since I was last at French Lake Auto Parts in Annandale Minnesota, but I recall seeing numerous GM sedan deliveries with rear doors. They're a big outfit, hopefully they still have one.

http://www.frenchlakeautoparts.com/

I've bought things from them through eBay, good people with the items well packed. Bob

French Lake is a fun place to visit.  There was a time in the not so recent past there was 14,000 cars older than 1980. 

On Saturdays Floyd had a hot dog stand in the parking lot it was such a busy place. 

On ‎2017‎-‎03‎-‎10 at 4:34 PM, cheezestaak2000 said:

i'm wondering if a sedan delivery rear door can't be found, if a station wagon tailgate assenbly might be relativly easy to adapt. my father had a 1955 chevy sedan delivery, and it had the same tailgate set up as the 1955 wagon

Somebody can probably do it, but it wouldn't be easy. The amount of work it would take would be right up there with building a whole door from scratch. I may stand to be corrected, but I believe the 51 station wagon door is split in the middle, with the window hinging up and the lower door hinging down. The sedan delivery door is one piece and hinges to the side.  He wants $500 with a title? That's not a hard decision at all... I'd snatch that up in a heart beat. If you can't find another door and give up on it, you could flip that for a profit no problem. I'd buy it on spec... a door will turn up sooner or later, like these guys say, they are out there.

Edited by whtbaron (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

I do think that they make knobs that say " lights" and "heater"

Well, "T" is apparently good enough to ID the throttle and at least he seems to know where to plant his bum without painting a big 'X' on the seat...  :unsure:

I'm thinking the labeling, was because more than one person used it and someone might have broke something in the past.  That's something one of my old bosses would have done,  after repairing something his staff broke. 

Remember for a long time this was just a used delivery vehicle and not a cherished antique.   Looks like not much was done since it was probably last used for service. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)