Looking for a Pullman

Frantz

Does anyone have a or know of a Pullman automobile for some photos and an afternoon chat? I know there was a later one at the Hershey show this year. I have a book from 1977 that lists some owners, but that was 40 years ago. Near Pennsylvania would be a plus!

I had the honor and privilege of driving Don Barlup's 1914 Pullman several years ago on an AACA reliability Tour. Don, his wife Carol, and their dedication to the club are a credit to the hobby and to the AACA.

Wow thanks for all the leads, and in such short time! I sorta figured I'd be in the hunt for a bit

I do have the 1977 York county vehicles books, and the 1970 Pullman book from York historical society for a basis of the article. I think with the aid of computers it may well be possible to make a more complete global picture of the company though than was practically feasible in the '70s.. or at least that's my hope. Most things I read about Pullman are York centric, and besides talk of them getting shipped out, there is little written about where they went and what reception they had there. Obviously undercut by the Model T, but a neat local story for me. Thanks folks!

You know the factory building still stands in downtown York? Fred Rosenmiller, who co-wrote the York County Vehicles book is still around and attends Hershey regularly though he no longer owns any York build vehicles. The '08 we restored for Fred was a long time resident of the Bill Pettit collection in Virginia before Fred purchased it. Pullman was the only one of 14 or so York built vehicles that achieved any sort of financial success. Unfortunately they too died off in the mass extinction of orphan car makes which began in 1917 or so. The Grandfather of Jim Grundy of Grundy Insurance was a Pullman dealer.

The pic on the bldg is actually of the '08 Touring we restored unless they have redone it since I last saw it. Did you know there is actually a limited edition MIchter's Distillery liquor bottle replicating the 6 wheeler? Was made sometime in the 1970's. I have #240 of the run of 1400. Sadly the liquor was gone when I bought the bottle.

10 hours ago, Dave Mellor NJ said:

There was a guy named Randy Hespenhide from somewhere in Delaware County, Pa (Southwest Philadelphia suburbs) who had one. I believe Randy passed on a few years ago and his car probably moved on too but it's a lead.

It was Randy's dad, Tom Hespenheide, that passed away a while back.  Randy does still have the Pullman.

The '08 we restored was a small 4 cylinder. Originally the aluminum block was machined and served as the top half of the main bearings. Only the main caps were babbitted. Of course we made bronze shells and had them babbitted when we restored the engine. Ever hear the term "struggle buggy"?

I stumbled across what appeared to be an original 1914 Pullman at a car show just outside of Seattle several years ago. Until the owner opened the hood to show a transplanted Ford 300 cu" six. He unapologetically indicated that the original engine casting was so badly cracked that repairing it was near impossible. He said that he searched for some time for a good block but finally gave up. I can't verify the narrative, but do believe that it was the large series Pullman.  

I can appreciate the fact that he wanted to get the 1914 back on the road, with a modern six, but meanwhile, considering the value of the car, he should be looking into new casting for the crankcase or block/cylinders.  Not inexpensive, but done all the time, and the rarity of the Pullman would warrant that expenditure.....then again, he might just be enjoying the car as is, and will let the next caretaker worry about originality!

A great thread, illustrating that the knowledge base of this forum is awesome!  Thanks to all who participate.  I read it everyday, just like a historical newspaper.  Pullman rings a bell with me as possibly seen at Harold Coker's home on the 2013 Glidden Tour.  Touring is always a treat, that one in 2013 had TWO Yellowstone National Park tour busses by White, Harold Coker's and Ross Walkup's big yellow 1920's National Park busses driving around full of happy people.  Where else would you see such a sight today?
  • Like 1

That would have been Fred Rosenmiller. He sold his cars locally maybe 3 years ago. The new owner passed last year and the cars were sold at the Hershey auction last Fall. They were a 1908 Touring and a 1910 Speedster. Both went thru AACA judging in the '90s and achieved Grand National First status. I have no idea who owns them now. They were two of the more challenging restorations we have done.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest john1948

Paul Vaughn of willowstreet Lancaster Co. Pa. has several Pullman auto as of my last visit.He has restored several. he is the best source on them and has done much research on them in the York archives. He has worked on the York museum car. He is retired now and will talk to anyone interested.  I have known Paul since grade school.

The 1903 models of the Pullman had six wheels, two in front, two in back and two in the middle, which were the actual drive wheels. The idea sprang from the Pullman rail cars. The automobile was named after the rail car, which had six wheels in the front and six in the back.

That was OK for rail cars, but it was a dismal failure for automobiles.

"With a rigid frame, if you hit a gully, the middle wheels spun," Vaughn said. "They were up in the air. The guy who designed it was so embarrassed, he tore it apart and made it a four-wheel car and changed the name to York. But nobody wanted to buy a York, so he went back to the Pullman name."

http://lancasteronline.com/news/wheelin-in-the-years/article_dcddb350-6a1b-55f6-8c20-4b87f472557e.html

• 5 months later...

Old post of mine. I got to meet Paul and Cheryl at Hershey this year and just visited their home today. Such wonderful folks! Even got to take a ride in their 1910. Brought wife and daughter along too. Folks in this hobby are always so generous with their time and what and awesome collection of cars knowledge and history!

Edited by Frantz (see edit history)

25 minutes ago, mikewest said:

If you are interested in owning a Pullman railcar I can help. Its 70 ft long, built in 1898 , and still has all its original cabinetry still intact, original mahogany paneling and pocket doors.

When I started my new business as an agent with New York Life they asked what we would do if we got successful and I said I'd buy a private train car as a mobile office and lounge. I just started this year so success hasn't jumped in front of me just yet. I bet the local steam association would store it for me though! Someday it's def on my list.

1 hour ago, Frantz said:

When I started my new business as an agent with New York Life they asked what we would do if we got successful and I said I'd buy a private train car as a mobile office and lounge. I just started this year so success hasn't jumped in front of me just yet. I bet the local steam association would store it for me though! Someday it's def on my list.

I also know of a 1910 Pullman in the next town over, been in the same family since new. Not for sale , but the owner is glad to show it off.

I mean, I want to own one someday, but I really was just looking for folks like Paul and Cheryl to experience the machine and gain some knowledge. As a resident of York County I think it's really cool that such a big production happened right down the street (well 20 minutes away). So much of automotive history books is only focused on the companies successful into the collector era. There are a few books about Pullman. Look at the Turkey Red card set from 1910. Pullman is one of 50 brands. Many of those brands are even still with us today. But several of those brands are nearly forgotten and I think it's good to keep that history alive. Much of it is organized, but only in the minds of those passionate about the brand. They have the collections of information they learned from, but it's the time folks have spent digesting all that information that I think in many cases is in risk of being lost.

Doug Frantz,

The 2017 AACA Founder's hosted by your close by Gettysburg Region visited the Don & Carol Barlup

"Pullman Collection" in Perry County PA and the Hagerstown Rural Heritage Museum where  they too, had at least one Pullman on display.  Quite impressive automobiles that I had not been familiar with.

1DSC03279.thumb.JPG.52024a27e8514d21f5877486ee0fa0f7.JPG

Part of Barlups's Collection @ a 2017 Founder's Tour Coffee Stop.  Thanks, Don & Carol

Edited by Paul Dobbin
I thought of adding something and didn't. (see edit history)
  • Like 1