nick8086

What do car collectors collect besides cars ?.

4 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

It's only paper if you don't spend it.

And according to my wife who was a bank teller many years ago, dirty paper.  I read years ago that over 1/2 of the paper currency had cocaine residue on it.  Don't know if it is still true, but an interesting tidbit of trivia.

• Like 1

I have 2 display cabinets full of Nightmare Before Christmas stuff and more put away.

I rotate the collection from time to time but I have been thinking of selling off everything.

I have some very rare and original pieces that are worth a decent amount and it's time for someone else to enjoy them.

I read the whole interesting thread and can't believe nobody else ever collected BEER CANS !

40 years ago I built a new barn/shop on Florida and had plenty of wall space, and I liked beer.  Above the windows I built

shelves and started saving different brands of beer cans.  Rule was:  I only saved cans that I actually drank the beer from.

After 30 years I had hundreds and could point out the really bad brands.  (Billy Beer was not alone)  I even had a bunch of

German cans that family members smuggled in.  I restored cars in there and the cans were dust and paint magnets.

When we left Florida and moved to the Smoky Mtns,  I put alll the cans in big boxes and labled them "FREE BEER CAN

COLLECTION"  and set them at the curb.  In 10 minutes they were gone.  I hope whoever took them discoverd that many

were not aluminum.

I collected beer cans back in the 1970's, when they started to become a hot collectable.  At one time I had about 3000 cans, including 350 cone tops and 500 or more flat tops.  I had a chance to buy a collection of cars in North Louisiana, knew a guy from Texas who collected cans and had lots of money, about half my collection went to him.  The other half I sold here and there.  Total proceeds,  and this was about 1976, were over $20K, and I bought quite a few cars with that.....

Back then it was tough to find the rare cans, but I advertised here and there.  One small collection came from a bar, only about 12 cans, but each one rarer than the next, including a Charro and a Graupner's cone top.

Now, I collect cars, Pierce Arrow memorabilia, and license plates.  Have a 1910-1972 complete run of Virginia plates, and numerous pre-1916 plates from all over the country.  Some rare plates are getting VERY expensive.....

16 hours ago, jackofalltrades70 said:

I have tubas, trombones, trumpets, bari sax, c sax.

Still active playing!

Matt

And now our grandson, a college Senior majoring in Music Performance (Trumpet - of course!) is using several of my horns, especially the Bach which Vincent Bach personally designed for me back in 1954. His University's Wind Symphony is recently back from their invitational to perform in a series of concerts at Bunol, west of Valencia, Spain. 

• Like 1

Bossons character wall masks (heads).

SAM_4144.thumb.JPG.03bcd980c651306591753adb779b97c3.JPG

597775422_BossonsKarim044.jpg.860209bf48b1242955609e8360be883a.jpg

Dime novels of the 1890-1922 era with the title "Secret Service" Young and Old King Brady Detectives. ( look them up on google) , Some : Edvard VII memorabilia,  Moxie soda items, Black & White scotch whiskey items that show the Westie and Scottie dogs that was their symbol. A few ( very few) Zeppelin mementos - including an original towel out of the Graff Zeppelin that has the name of the airship embossed on it as well as an image ( got that from my good friend Austin Clark) , Sherlock Holmes stories in original copies of the Strand magazine where they were first published, some pressed tin and porcelain advertising signs , that's about it for the non automotive items. Oh yeah,  some 78rpm jazz records that I play on the 1938 Wurlitzer juke box I have and restored about 35 years ago. Fortunately my son appreciates and some what understands what I have collected, sort of, maybe, - well at least he tolerates his old Dad - sort of , maybe........😉 I have never ever bought anything for an "investment" value - always have bought stuff for the "makes me feel good" value.

• Like 1

We also collect Lladro porcelains 

AE1E4960-D278-4186-87B9-F07D60D70695.jpeg

E13ABB8C-3748-4465-99D7-9F0DF01CA905.jpeg

Books...mostly history related. I don't know how many I have but it's in the area of 2,000 with  a heavy emphasis on the 17th & 18th century. Also books on the Imperial Russian Army, cars before WWI and Judiaca. Federal period militia arms, especially New England Rifles and British muskets as well as British officer's fuzees.

Here's 3 of them... a Volunteer short Land Pattern musket by William Ketland (c. 1801-1804) and officer's fuzee by David Blair (c. 1780) and an unmarked British rifle (c. 1780) along with an officer's saber, probably Irish (c. 1785–1790). The other stuff isn't mine.

IMG_1967.thumb.JPG.e13c7ddd1f30deccce3d7e2db9e2b506.JPG

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, JV Puleo said:

Books...mostly history related.

Joe,  have you read them all?

Most of them. Some are reference works not really intended to be read from cover to cover. I have the complete set of Winston Churchill's speeches and I confess I haven't read all of them.

Clocks mostly.  I used to collect old radios until most stations discontinued local programming.  It's no fun any more to pull in a station 1,000 miles away and hear the same syndicated shows that are on the local stations.

Old guns. This model 36 Smith and Wesson revolver with factory target grips from 1969 is a lot less money than a Mach 1 or GTO from the same year.

pix216124059.jpg.3852c8da31baecd7bd345b69720cd0ac.jpg

• Like 2

All -  

I collect kissels but my wife doesn’t have much interest in antique cars. But she likes shoes, purses and diamonds.

We have compromised such that every time I buy a car, she gets to buy a very expensive Lois Vitton purse or a piece of fine jewelry or Menollo shoes.

So I guess I de facto collect Louis Vuitton purses, Menollo shoes, and high end jewelry. 

It’s worth it.

Ron Hausmann P.E.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ron hausmann said:

All -  

I collect kissels but my wife doesn’t have much interest in antique cars. But she likes shoes, purses and diamonds.

We have compromised such that every time I buy a car, she gets to buy a very expensive Lois Vitton purse or a piece of fine jewelry or Menollo shoes.

So I guess I de facto collect Louis Vuitton purses, Menollo shoes, and high end jewelry. 

It’s worth it.

Ron Hausmann P.E.

Ron, could you model some of those for us,

and ask your bride to pilot a Kissel on tour during Ladies day?😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Having amassed train stuff with a partner and not getting anywhere with it, we decided to liquidate and found a new "collector".

20190810_132118.thumb.jpg.2b8fe26346107930b61f734a8b8e77a1.jpg

Hmmm, now....there is that chroming I need to have done on that spare front bumper I have for the Special... and the Limited has been sitting idle for awhile...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

Ron, could you model some of those for us,

and ask your bride to pilot a Kissel on tour during Ladies day?😉

9902D2D0-F1E7-4913-ADA7-9D6F14CAE154.jpeg

4A864209-FACF-49DD-A6AA-EC0227DC751B.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Past President Al Edmond got me interested in advertising. We would go to swap meets all over the Midwest along with the original Pate and Hershey. I would bring them home and stack them in the loft of the warehouse I rented from him.  Ten years ago moved to Texas and I was finally able to organize and hang part of my collection.  It was like Christmas all over again. Some of the signage I hadn’t seen since the early 80’s. 

9D8DAC1C-0A2C-4162-88DA-3804236B3B5A.jpeg

02D13A8F-66DE-45A9-A402-E35D6C3654F3.jpeg

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ron hausmann said:

All -  

It’s worth it.

Ron Hausmann P.E.

Sounds like two hobbies that need to be combined, hand bags & Kissel Gold Bugs.

DSCF3744.JPG

DSCF3745.JPG

Well, maybe a coastal thing, but I appreciate good scrimshaw. Not a large collection, but it’s getting harder to find. My wife likes cameo carvings which isn’t too far off.

A499DEFC-7FAC-4D01-8ECF-1F80D5449E18.jpeg

D6F4F05F-7858-452F-98E6-7528D58FE5CA.jpeg

• Like 1