Barrett Jackson Auction

Joe in Canada

Do you think it is possible that younger viewers may watch the auction on TV and get a wrong impression of the affordability of getting into the hobby?  

Joe, I think you are exactly right.  Television always sensationalizes things.

The auctions are not doing us a favor.

Time after time, when I show people my antique cars, they think the cars

(such as a 1957 Buick 4-door hardtop) are expensive, when they're not.

Prospective car fans viewing the hobby from afar

invariably think the hobby is too expensive for them.  What they need to

realize is that they can have a nice old car for the price of a used Ford Taurus! 

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

My Judge is a Resto-Mod: Pertronix, 78 WS6 15x8 wheels, 71 sport mirrors, 70 W30 'vert suspension, Delrin bushings, Color keyed Formula wheel, 3.55 four pinion, glass packs with an H-pipe. Centerforce, PF-24 oil filter, AGM battery, later AM-FM radio. Cassette adapter for the 8 track.

Of course this was all '70s correct...

Enter your car in a POCI show and it will not be in a resto. mod. category, just a modified category.

If you had just bought a modified Pontiac and wanted to resto mod it you would have to" Technically" restore it to stock and then modify it for the term to be correct

Goes like this; restore means to bring back to original condition and modify means add or replace with items the car never came with, and the two should never be used together as a single term because no one restores a car back to original and then modifies it.

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

My Judge is a Resto-Mod: Pertronix, 78 WS6 15x8 wheels, 71 sport mirrors, 70 W30 'vert suspension, Delrin bushings, Color keyed Formula wheel, 3.55 four pinion, glass packs with an H-pipe. Centerforce, PF-24 oil filter, AGM battery, later AM-FM radio. Cassette adapter for the 8 track.

Of course this was all '70s correct...

What does your car and what you have done to it have to do with the topic? Just confused with your post, was it sold at BJ? Did you buy it there?

Every time I heard one of the commentators say "frame off" restoration i just shook my head. BODY OFF, BODY OFF, did anybody ever take a frame off their car? It's BODY OFF!!!!!!

• Like 1

Every time I heard one of the commentators say "frame off" restoration i just shook my head. BODY OFF, BODY OFF, did anybody ever take a frame off their car? It's BODY OFF!!!!!!

Personally, I'm even more amused by a "frame off" resto of a unibody car...  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Is the glass 1/2 full, or 1/2 empty?

Body off, or Frame off, yes you can take a frame off.  Hang the car from the ceiling, and take the Frame off the body and lower it to the ground.  I did that with my Limited, the body didn't move, the Frame did.

How ever you say it has the same result.

Dale in Indy

Stories galore of 50's modifies being restored to the original modified condition/look, so you can restore something other than to it's un-modified condition.

Dale in Indy

Doesn't cut no ice. There is no reference point to the build, no build sheet, no manuals to refer to. The only manuals refer to are the ones from the factory. Accept a modified car for what it is, just modified and just hope whoever did it learned a lesson.

Now I have a friend who is building a " Hot Rod". When I say building I mean frame and body to his own blueprints just like Mole does. I have no problem with that, in fact I encourage him and others to build, build, build! Why? Because it's THEIR creation. Just don't do over someone else's car because I know the original creator has more education, talent, and skill than any butcher thinking he knows better.    

You REALLY don't believe ALL those folks at the auction are there for a SHOW?

Sure there are some guests, but it's an AUCTION, they are selling REAL cars, and real money.  Some winners, some losers. 

TV coverage is nothing more than sharing the auction with others what's up for sale.  TV makes  money off the commercials, and probably shares some with the auction.  Auctions are a business, it would be held without TV, it did for years. 

I don't enjoy every bit of it, but for the most part is in interesting.  IMO.

Dale in Indy

That is why my DVR has x4.

Most of the changes to my Judge were done in the last millennia and back when it was a $600 gas guzzler (just realized I obtained it 30 years ago). I do have the original parts in big baggies except for the original 3.23 open rear end that I gave to a buddy who needed one when I installed the 3.55 four pinion. Cannot conceive anyone wanting to drive it with 14x6 wheels and tires & an open rear end..

I hear enough dumb comments in auctions to question most of what I hear as gospel e.g. GTO speedos changed from 140 to 120 in '72 because they were slower. Real reason was to make room for the "fasten seat belt" light.

ps mentioned "resto-mod" in response to an earlier post but are right, it is more accurately a mod-survivor.

TV coverage is nothing more than sharing the auction with others what's up for sale.  

Hearing from friends who have attended, I understand

that there are many affordable cars at the auction which

do not get televised.  So I maintain that auctions like that

give unrealistic portrayals of the hobby, and lead people

to think that antique cars are out of their price range.

It's like other TV, that often looks for the worst case, or the most

unusual, or the most outrageous thing to broadcast, leading

people who watch to think that a situation is much more extreme than it was.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

That is why my DVR has x4.

Most of the changes to my Judge were done in the last millennia and back when it was a $600 gas guzzler (just realized I obtained it 30 years ago). I do have the original parts in big baggies except for the original 3.23 open rear end that I gave to a buddy who needed one when I installed the 3.55 four pinion. Cannot conceive anyone wanting to drive it with 14x6 wheels and tires & an open rear end..

I hear enough dumb comments in auctions to question most of what I hear as gospel e.g. GTO speedos changed from 140 to 120 in '72 because they were slower. Real reason was to make room for the "fasten seat belt" light.

ps mentioned "resto-mod" in response to an earlier post but are right, it is more accurately a mod-survivor.

Oh no a new one " Mod survivor" please oh please don't tell those guys at Barrett/Jackson

Guest AlCapone

Say

What you will, there were some great deals to be had there this year. And it is not a phony made up party. The greatest majority are people looking for a deal and having a holiday. For many it is like a trip to Hershey. If illness had not kept me away I would have purchased three cars for sure that you could not have restored for anywhere close to the price. Pre 1950 cars are a true bargain!

Wayne

The auction must be over now and Atlantic City is coming up in a couple of weeks. I used to drive down their to escape the weather for a couple of days. I do agree auctions are a place to buy. I'd be pretty leery about putting one of my common cars in a big auction. I doubt if I'd come home with $3,000 on anything, but those are my cars. Each one is mine for a reason.

I did watch enough to be haunted by a familiar background sound. I couldn't quite put my finger on it until I brought the dog in last night and gave him a biscuit.

Bernie

Padgett, I like your new category, but to better fit the construction of the term "resto-mod", I think that "survi-mod" is what you were looking for.

Long live resto/survi-mod rods.

It's alive,

Grog

Yes, yes, there were tons of less expensive cars available, and many sold.

They weren't/aren't on TV for a reason, TV programming is expensive, most folks don't want to see a lot of the run of the mill cars up for auction.  if you attend, you will see first hand these cars.

When I attend an art show, I don't care to see run of the mill pieces.

Dale in Indy  

The auction brought a wide range, 1953 #300 corvette brought $533,000 with commission and was a top notch 53 restored by Steve Newsom. The best bargain I saw on TV was 001 of 1955 restored and judged Bloomington Gold and it brought only $100,000. A 54 Pennant Blue which was not completely right brought $200,000. So prices were all over. I do agree with Wayne, cars before 1950 right now are all pretty much a steal.

The auction brought a wide range, 1953 #300 corvette brought $533,000 with commission and was a top notch 53 restored by Steve Newsom. The best bargain I saw on TV was 001 of 1955 restored and judged Bloomington Gold and it brought only $100,000. A 54 Pennant Blue which was not completely right brought $200,000. So prices were all over. I do agree with Wayne, cars before 1950 right now are all pretty much a steal.

I agree, and feel that the prices will drop even more in the next 6 months if the markets take another hit. The dividends on the 401K's will not be paying out as well, and the first wave of baby boomers are aging and those cars will be hitting the market trying to offset the loss of cash flow. I think many of these cars will be for sale at the same time and could cause a price slide, we will see! looks like to be a buyers market

I agree, and feel that the prices will drop even more in the next 6 months if the markets take another hit. The dividends on the 401K's will not be paying out as well, and the first wave of baby boomers are aging and those cars will be hitting the market trying to offset the loss of cash flow. I think many of these cars will be for sale at the same time and could cause a price slide, we will see! looks like to be a buyers market

What dividends ? unless they were very long term, even ten years ago 5% was about the best return you could get and most of them have matured. It's not like ( thanks to the fed.) what happened in the late 70's and early 80's when you were getting 10 and 12%. There is going to be a major correction and when it happens all these cars will be worthless. You can't run 19Trillion in the hole and get away with it. It's just a matter of time.

Edited by helfen (see edit history)