Circa 1915 Auto identification?

Guest derekl

Hi,

This is a photograph in the City of Vancouver (Canada) archives. I'd like to identify the car, if possible.

Note the scoop between the front and the rear seats.

The hub-cap seems to read Hock.

The Hood Ornament is possibly custom, as many at that time were, it looks like a man with a moustache, wearing a jacket with a star on his upper left chest and maybe on his cap too.

Any info much appreciated,

Derek

post-105400-143142908326_thumb.jpg

It looks a little like a 1917 Paige Detroit, but wasn't able to find a picture of a touring body just like it. It almost looks like President Wilson in the passenger seat.

Some Appersons & Nationals had hood louvers like this car, and some Crane-Simplex radiator shells were very close to the one pictured.

Edited by jeff_a
A couple more guesses. (see edit history)

Even though I don't think this is a factory body the regular REOs of this era had that 'dual cowl' style - http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_171697-Dodge-Brothers-Sedan-1917.html.

Skinny wire wheels like that were an option on several lower/medium price cars of that era, usually sedans for town driving (wooden wheels were stronger and would survive rocky river crossings better). Examples include Oakland - http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_588847-Oakland-Sensible-Six-34-B-1918.html - Dodge - http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_209423-Dodge-Brothers-Sedan.html - although I am not convinced re the identification of the Dodge in the 1952 movie - but here is another more recent shot of a sedan - http://files.conceptcarz.com/img/Dodge/20-Dodge-Brothers-Sedan-DV-09-MBC-01.jpg - and another one from a 1920 movie - http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_171697-Dodge-Brothers-Sedan-1917.html

I agree, looks like fully body (cowl) behind front seat, but cannot see any screen mounting holes in it.

Internal door handles.

What is that on the chassis cover apron below the door: central chassis greasing? => up-market.

Those earlier REOs were all rivetted together! This one has a more rounded radiator shroud top than the screen sides. It looks more like late teens to early '20s with the smooth cowl between bonnet and door.

Clearly a posed shot. Their hats would blow off at low speed unless pushed down hard and they aren't. And the wheels are in perfect focus.

Is it on the roof of a building? If so, which building? Was it occupied by a car dealership?

I agree, looks like fully body (cowl) behind front seat, but cannot see any screen mounting holes in it.

Internal door handles.

What is that on the chassis cover apron below the door: central chassis greasing? => up-market.

Those earlier REOs were all rivetted together! This one has a more rounded radiator shroud top than the screen sides. It looks more like late teens to early '20s with the smooth cowl between bonnet and door.

Clearly a posed shot. Their hats would blow off at low speed unless pushed down hard and they aren't. And the wheels are in perfect focus.

Is it on the roof of a building? If so, which building? Was it occupied by a car dealership?

It looks like an elevated street or bridge where the car is located....not a roof.

The Apperson suggestion lead me to Haynes of the era. Hood louvers look right.

This is not a big car. The wheel rims are likely to be 24" or at most 25" diameter. Notice that the engine hood is only about the same length as the rim diameter suggesting it is possibly a four cylinder model. The wheelbase of the car is not much more than four times the rim diameter suggesting around 100-110". BY comparison the Haynes of that time was on a 127" wheelbase and had a big six cylinder engine with the hood half as long again as the rim diameter.

The suggestion of the Pan sounds nearer the mark. That had a 108" wheelbase and a four cylinder engine of 3.25" x 5" (166cid).

Yes, agreed that this isn't a large car, but cars with an under 110" wheelbase in, for example 1920, were these relatively lower price cars; Briscoe, Chevrolet, Dort, Essex, Ford T, Maxwell, Moore, Nelson, Overland, and Spacke. I don't think the mystery car is one of these. (Source; MoToR Specification Tables ca.1924). The Pan didn't show up in the '20 lineup, but it was listed on the 1919 and 1922 sheets, having a 108" wheelbase riding in 33 x 4 tires. A 1919 picture of it in Beverly Rae Kime's Standard Catalog of American Cars depicts it as rather primitive looking, small and low priced, certainly not of the ilk of the mystery car. Specs did not change in '22. The crankshaft had but 2 bearings. The company was always in trouble, the promoter a con artist who landed in prison.

Guest derekl

Here's a snap, taken this week, of the same Vancouver location. The configuration of the roadway of the viaduct has changed somewhat.

post-105400-143142916795_thumb.jpg

Guest prs519

I, too, recall that Pan was associated with something fraudulent. The same weak memory thinks it recalls an ad showing the Pan being transformable into

a kitchenette, or full size bed, or something like that?? For now, I will vote for REO. I believe there was once an original Pan located near Lagoon amusement park, near Ogden Utah. I think that car was a survivor, but I do not know what became of it.

• 8 years later...
On 12/29/2014 at 6:53 AM, Guest derekl said:

Hi,

This is a photograph in the City of Vancouver (Canada) archives. I'd like to identify the car, if possible.

Note the scoop between the front and the rear seats.

The hub-cap seems to read Hock.

The Hood Ornament is possibly custom, as many at that time were, it looks like a man with a moustache, wearing a jacket with a star on his upper left chest and maybe on his cap too.

Any info much appreciated,

Derek

post-105400-143142908326_thumb.jpg

1916  -  1918 Elgin Six Touring

Manufacturer : 
1916 - 1923 Elgin Motor Car Corp. - Argo, Illinois.
1923 - 1924 Elgin Motors Inc. - Indianapolis, Indiana.

20914651_10213949272950103_1423050867198533820_n.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/15/2023 at 1:25 PM, dl456 said:

Who is this guy?

Varun,

I am in awe at your identification abilities.

For whatever it is worth (probably not much?) and a bit of curiosity? About twenty or a few years more ago, several times in conversations among a few longtime friends including some very serious collectors of prewar and horseless carriage era automobiles, the name "Varun" was mentioned as someone a few of these people knew. Usually the comment was along the lines of "I talked with Varun the other day about the (car) and he suggested-----" (Specific names of other people and cars shall remain nameless?)

Since they did not mention the last name, I can only guess it was likely you/him. Regardless, those that knew "Varun" clearly had a great deal of respect for him.

Edited by wayne sheldon
I hate leaving typos! (see edit history)
  • Like 1