What Would You Call It?

Guest Highway 59

Guest Highway 59

I built this 28' Ford Model A Tudor Sedan. I have had a lot of people refer to it as a rat rod, others have called it a traditional hot rod. I have a friend that has been building hot rods since the 60's, he says that cars of that era where referred to as unfinished and /or poor boy hot rods. Budget hot rods for those that didn't have a lot of money to build there dream car, but happy to have a fun hot rod. Cars did not always have paint, primer at best. So is this a rat rod or a traditional hot rod?

Scott

post-97421-143142307694_thumb.jpg

To me traditional hot rods use a different drive train, suspension components and reuse a lot of what the original car had to offer. Interiors are updated and made more plush and comfortable for use.

Rat rods only use the old car shell and tend to pride themselves on using a bunch of mis-matched materials for various makes with the emphasis on the silly or creative use of street signs, kegs, skulls, etc. Most, if not all, had no interior for comfort or for long drives. You may even go deaf riding in some of these...

Again, to me, the hot rod is for driving and enjoying the drive with new power, suspension and brakes that makes the use of the car enjoyable for the ride while providing the user some opportunity to make the car "theirs". Rat rods are more of a expression of creative talents and no so much of the use of the car, per say.

I'd call it a Rat Rod because Hot Rods tend to be cleaner and any patinae is usually the result of simply not getting to work on that part yet, but Rat Rods make intentional use of the aged parts or even go out of their way to create an aged and patinaed look. Non-automotive parts and add-ons also abound on a Rat Rod. More art car than show car.

I would say definately rat rod. These are traditional hot rods. Actually the orange one is an original Hot rod built between 1956 and 1958 In Tracy California. It was built as a dragster at the time and has better fit and finish than most of the modified cars I have seen of that era even though it was only meant to race not show. The 2nd is a car I built and still have. Lots of time to and thought to build it. I wanted it to look like it rolled off a Circa 1955 rod magazine cover. I think the original Idea of a hot rod was to take a stock car make it as sleek as possible and go as fast as possible. Rat rods I think are built more to be in your face. I wanted my car to look fast even standing still which most of the early hot rods seemed to have that look. Just my 2 cents of course.

post-43003-143142307839_thumb.jpg

post-43003-143142307821_thumb.jpg

Guest Highway 59
I like your avatar a LOT better!

My Plymouth coupe will be a true traditional hot rod when finished.

When I built my sedan I know it would be classified as a rat rod. I don't care to have my car in that class :( To me rat rods are built to low standards! Setting my standard very high while building the sedan has allowed me to drive my sedan many miles with out turning a wrench on it. It has been a turn key car from the first day I started it. I can't count the times that I considered selling the car because of the stereo type.

So you came to a site dedicated to numbers restorations to get an opinion on what they think of modified cars? You might have a masochistic streak there. I personally think that they're your cars, so do what you want to enjoy them and drive them and forget what everyone else thinks...

So you came to a site dedicated to numbers restorations to get an opinion on what they think of modified cars? You might have a masochistic streak there. I personally think that they're your cars, so do what you want to enjoy them and drive them and forget what everyone else thinks...

Doesn't matter, does it have a

bud can for an overflow reservoir? A shifter that hits the rearview mirror when you hit 2nd gear? Doesn't matter. It's your car built as you prefer so just have fun!!

Guest Highway 59

Well said:) That was the idea of this thread, to find out what others on this forum think of modified cars and what they think a modified car is! It is fun to hear what others consider a traditional hot rod.

"I built this 28' Ford Model A Tudor Sedan." I think you are stretching it a bit to call it 28 FEET. Kidding aside, I curious how if it is still titled as s 1928 Ford because I don't see a 1928 engine or 1928 frame under it, so where is the VIN located to make it a 1928 Ford?

Also, how does it run at highway speed? It looks like the draft tube on the carb would pull out more fuel than gets to the engine.

Edited by 61polara (see edit history)

I'm pretty sure you won't get much praise for rodding the car in your Avatar. That looks like a pretty clean original complete car. I have seen several good cars that the end result of hot rodding made them train wrecks rather than nicely executed hot Rods. Actually after years of seeing poorly executed hot rods with big Chunky tilt steering columns, Digital Gauges, High Back bucket seats in 50's convertibles in front and rear, Mountains of chrome painted body color, Tweed and Boat upholstery everywhere, Square consoles in cars from the 40's and 50's, Fenderless hot rods with Junkyard mustang II front suspensions not even correctly located, as well as every other imaginable abomination, I avoid going to most hot rod shows now.

This from a guy that used to want to hot rod or customize every car he saw. Now all I want, is to see them as original as possible. I can appreciate the work in a well executed tastefully done hot rod but that's about it.

I think you lose the history of the car when you rod it. My 32 Cabriolet was only a shell built from a bunch of pieces, the cowl quarters and doors were loose pieces that were collected and assembled so there wasn't any real history or Vibe left. Many of the parts I used were from old hot rods so it actually has more of a vibe or aura as a collection of original parts brought back together to once again drive down the road rather than filling shelves in old garages.

I agree... the difference in some quarters between rat rod and hot rod is just shiny paint. Other's look for the ridiculous finishing touches, but in the end the "definitions" are very open to interpretation. It's probably more driveable than most rat rods, but I would hesitate to define it as traditional due to it's lowness and the fact that most sedans were considered parts cars until the late 50's/early 60's. You can hear the same arguments between customs and lowriders, but who was the great authority that got to write the rule books that explain which pigeon hole our car is supposed to fall in? If those 13" gold wire wheels are the deciding factor, what happens to the rest of the car when a new owner replaces them with 15" Astros? I tend to ignore the politics of trying to decide who has done what, and focus more on the quality of the final build I'm looking at. I hang out at the HAMB or the Speedster forum because I'm another renegade that isn't afraid to cut up old metal, but if I got my hands on a very complete car like that old Plymouth, I would still be very much more inclined to restore than chop.

Edited by whtbaron (see edit history)

Since you have only had 16 posts, it is understandable that you may not have seen the numerous and sometimes heated, past comments concerning rods, customs, antique, classic, vintage, etc. etc.. To get a persons or members response is like asking what nerve just got pinched. You will find that many just don't care what you call it because it is yours and you can do what you want with it. Some of us old schoolers like original, well documented, autos. Some will update with new safety equipment and retain the original appearance. I am old school, but I can appreciate the work that people put into "their" autos, and they have every right to call it what they want. There are enough abandoned projects, and fiberglass parts out there to make just about anything. Butchering an original is never going to bring it back and that is the real shame. Just my opinion, and good luck with whatever you choose to do.

It looks like a home-made race car, aka "hot rod". It's missing a couple of things for it to be a "hot rod", like markings on the side windows showing class and race number, trophies for drag races, and maybe a parachute. What's your best time on the strip? Can it do an 11 second 1/4 mile, or 200 mph at the Bonneville Salt Flats?

I see a number of parts missing for it to be a real Model "A", the legendary cars built by the Ford Motor Company. If you like antique cars, you could find almost everything you need for sale (hood, real Model "A" engine, big 21" wheels, fenders). If you don't like old iron, then you could buy a GM, Hyundai or something if you like the modern but more common-place engines, low ride, etc.

I have a hot rod that has no paint.

So everybody calls it a rat rod. Yes, it looks like a rat rod.

People that know cars who take the time to look it over will comment on it and advise me that it is not a rat rod but looks like one.

When I got the car it had been severely cut and in my opinion not salvageable to original. So I built a hot rod out of it.

People call it a rat rod but it has a VERY well handling suspension, brakes that will skid the car, good seat harnesses, a heater, high and low beams, turn signals, a horn, Heck it even has an interior light. I don't especially like it to be called a rat rod, but its the perception that most people have of it.

I will say that not having a paint job made it one of the least stressful car that I have ever built. I doubt I will ever spend out on a high end paint job again. That takes years and money. I probably could afford it but don't have the patience.

I have entered this so called rat rod in one local show for 4 years straight and the promoter tells us which class it will be in. They don't have a rat rod class (although whenever I enter in a rat class I win) but rather an 'alternative rod' class. I won that all four times they put me there.

In my world, in the summer its a daily driver and in the winter its mostly garage art (although I tested the heater the other night in 25 degree weather).

As long as we are having fun I always say.

post-52542-14314230873_thumb.jpg

post-52542-143142308732_thumb.jpg

post-52542-143142308733_thumb.jpg

post-52542-143142308734_thumb.jpg

post-52542-143142308735_thumb.jpg

Dave, lots of things have changed in the last 10-11 years of the AACA. We have new Board members elected almost every year with different viewpoints about how our club should be operated.

The "bad old days" of the "tone" you speak of has been changed over time. What's that they say about flies and honey??;)

Guest my3buicks

The car is not welcome at a National AACA meet, and National AACA flea market, etc. It goes totally against the fabric of what the AACA mission statement is. I know there are many times the lines are blurred on the forums, but this is an entire thread about a car that is totally unaccepted by the AACA - I guess maybe rat rods, street rods, etc should be welcome on the show field now.

The car is not welcome at a National AACA meet, and National AACA flea market, etc. It goes totally against the fabric of what the AACA mission statement is. I know there are many times the lines are blurred on the forums, but this is an entire thread about a car that is totally unaccepted by the AACA - I guess maybe rat rods, street rods, etc should be welcome on the show field now.

This forum is not just all about AACA National events. As a matter of fact, it's open to all automotive clubs. The car in the first post of this thread is also welcome in a lot of local car shows around the country that are put on by local AACA clubs, "at their discretion".

To keep the AACA strong, we must not close our minds and eyes to other car hobbyists and their vehicles. There may be times when we do not always have a place for them on the show field, but as far as I am concerned they are always welcome to "our table"!;)

Wayne

.... this is an entire thread about a car that is totally unaccepted by the AACA.

Is there any other type of thread other than an "entire thread"?

I guess maybe rat rods, street rods, etc should be welcome on the show field now.

I'm not sure I'm following your logic here??? Someone wants to discuss a modified car on the AACA Forum, therefore AACA should welcome all hot rods on a national meet show field?????

That would be the same as... Keith Bleakney lists a Subaru Outback on his list of cars owned in his signature, therefore AACA should welcome all Subaru Outbacks on the national meet show field.

So far, this thread has been clean with kind replies. The OP and all other contributors here are well aware that this car is not going to be accepted on the AACA show field. The sky is not falling.

Interesting thread! It's an old fashion hot rod to me. I remember the days when an Earl Schrieb paint job was $29.95

and most of my friends couldn't afford that or the engine chrome either. Consequently we tried to make what we had look as good as possible. Or maybe run, as well as possible. Yea, the magazines had fancy paint and chrome, but reality dictated primer, paintred on white walls, cut-outs, instead of portawalls and dual exhausts. On $1.00 an hour and gas taking 1/4 of that, a hot rod like pictured at the beginning of this thread was pretty cool. I still like it.

At that time a friend had a Model A Coupe that ran and we took rides in the woods with it, but it was never good enough to drive on the street. If we could have done what Highway 59 did in 1959, we'd be in magzines too.

post-32318-143142309072_thumb.jpg

Guest my3buicks

I can't remember who it was that had asked about a truck(I believe it was an International that had been modified under the hood) prior to Hershey. That truck and post had several negative posts about it being modified, and very indignant posts about the truck in general. Other than the drivetrain it appeared fairly original. Now here we have a car that couldn't be further from original and it's hey ho, good old boy. Fickle forum for sure.

I like the "alternative rod" designation. I don't think anyone that knows what the AACA is about expects modified cars to be part of the program, but that being said the line is already being blurred when antique race cars show up at Pebble Beach. We tend to send everyone with a "hot rod" over to the HAMB, but as has already been pointed out, the HAMB itself is very fickle (and poorly defined) in what it or it's membership is willing to accept as a genuine rod or custom. I would hope to some day own a car that would qualify for AACA judging, but in the meantime I'll just keep myself occupied with cool old cars. I'd be proud to have either of these "ratted" Model A's in my garage. Loved that Hemi too...