Most valuable car in the world?? Opinions???

Guest my3buicks

Guest my3buicks

Here is a good question - what are your thoughts on the most valuable car in the world if it crossed the auction block?

So, let's say Barrett Jackson Auction here come the big $$$$ cars:

If at auction I think the Buick Y Job would set new records, it is considered the first "concept car" a dream car and has the Harley Earl provenance, it's styling was groundbreaking for the time and featured styling cues that would be used at GM for decades to come and even used outside GM for decades to come. First retractable roof. Retractable headlights while found in production first on the 37 Cord had to be on the design sheets at the same time if not beofre. We have seen other much much lessor known GM dream cars go for millions of dollars so I think if the Y Job would hit the block it would be a bid fest.

Attach a picture if possible.

post-30591-143138791284_thumb.jpg

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

The Y Job is cool, but I doubt it would come even close to 10 million of which there are a dozen or so cars that could break that.

One of the Royales, One of the Atlantics or the Trossi SSK are all 20 million plus cars.

Cars that could break 10 million include both SSJ Duesenbergs as well as the 20 Grand.

Any car with enough of those darn ghost phone bidders:eek:

LOL... Ohhh Yeah, I have a super rare 54 Dodge pickup truck that was driven by an old lady to the local store, and Post Office, on Saturdays. Also driven to Church on Sundays. It has been stored under an apple tree for atleast 50 years and can be had for the low and appealing markdown price of 100 Million today only. Step right up and put your money down folks and trailer this beauty home. ;) Dandy Dave!

When you get over a million, logic has nothing to do with it. Would take a "1 of none" with a famous pedigree and a prestigious manufacturer.

Suspect if someone could retrieve one of the Lunar Rovers, that might be it. 002 has the least milage.

Infamous Le Mans 1955 Austin-Healey 100S Prototype sold for $1.3 million [w/video]

This car has an intrinsic value of at most $200,000, probably less given it's condition.

The most valuable car in the world would have to be a documented survivor of an infamous incident. For example the Mercedes 300SLR that launched off of the back of this car into that LeMans crowd in 1955, James Dean's Porsche, the wrecked 1939 Cadillac Gen Patton died in, etc. It's value as a car would probably be dwarfed by it's value to history.

How much would you pay for a 1911 Gräf & Stift Bois de Boulogne tourer? How much would you pay if it were the tourer in which Archduke Franz Ferdinand was assassinated in 1914?

And sadly that value would be higher for a car with a bad history than a good one.

How much would you pay for a 1975 Lincoln limo from John Wayne's estate? How much would you pay for one from a dictator in Pyongyang? How much would you pay for a 1963 Lincoln convertible that John Glenn road in? How much for the one that was in Dallas that we're all think of right now? :confused:

If at auction I think the Buick Y Job would set new records, it is considered the first "concept car" a dream car and has the Harley Earl provenance, it's styling was groundbreaking for the time and featured styling cues that would be used at GM for decades to come and even used outside GM for decades to come. First retractable roof. Retractable headlights while found in production first on the 37 Cord had to be on the design sheets at the same time if not beofre. We have seen other much much lessor known GM dream cars go for millions of dollars so I think if the Y Job would hit the block it would be a bid fest.

Attach a picture if possible.

Somebody has been drinking the GM Koolaid. The Buick Y job was not the first concept car, the first dream car or the first anything else. Even the name gives it away. They called it the Y job around the styling studio because they were sick of experimental cars called X this and X that, so they decided to move on to Y. GM may have used its styling cues for decades but there was nothing very new or ground breaking about it from a design standpoint. It was a nice looking car and a good job of styling but that is about it. The most sensational thing about it is the GM publicity department's selling job. They had the knack of putting out the most outrageous bulls**t and getting the public to buy it, possibly because they had the resources (read: money) to blanket the media and keep on selling the same yarn for years.

Edited by Rawja (see edit history)

Infamous Le Mans 1955 Austin-Healey 100S Prototype sold for $1.3 million [w/video]

This car has an intrinsic value of at most $200,000, probably less given it's condition.

The most valuable car in the world would have to be a documented survivor of an infamous incident. For example the Mercedes 300SLR that launched off of the back of this car into that LeMans crowd in 1955, James Dean's Porsche, the wrecked 1939 Cadillac Gen Patton died in, etc. It's value as a car would probably be dwarfed by it's value to history.

How much would you pay for a 1911 Gräf & Stift Bois de Boulogne tourer? How much would you pay if it were the tourer in which Archduke Franz Ferdinand was assassinated in 1914?

And sadly that value would be higher for a car with a bad history than a good one.

How much would you pay for a 1975 Lincoln limo from John Wayne's estate? How much would you pay for one from a dictator in Pyongyang? How much would you pay for a 1963 Lincoln convertible that John Glenn road in? How much for the one that was in Dallas that we're all think of right now? :confused:

The Graf & Stift still exists, at least it was in a museum in eastern Europe in the sixties. I remember a story on this car, with pictures, in a car magazine about 1968.

The Kennedy Lincoln is probably still around too, at least I saw that one in a museum in Niagara Falls in the seventies.

I'm fairly certain Ferrari 250 GTOs have privately traded hands for $25 million, and recently an early Testarossa racer sold at auction for $16 million, making it the highest price ever paid at auction. Ralph Lauren's Bugatti Atalante coupe is rumored to have received offers over $40 million, and as someone else pointed out, the first Silver Ghost is insured for a rumored $55 million, with Guinness noting it as the world's most valuable car.

What are the criteria? I don't think anyone will consign a car at Barrett-Jackson that'll break $10 million. They'll go to one of the other houses that specialize in things other than muscle car "re-creations."

I almost ignored this debate entirely since it has such little connection to reality. But I could not resist thinking about it and the best I can come up with is this, using the $40 million mentioned as a baseline:

The record car would be the one that some one (or group) with over $40 million to spend wants. One that has a celebrity or historical connection is irrelevant unless it is of interest to that person. If one or two $40 million men are not interested in Clark Gable and his SSJ it is not worth $40 million. If the $40 million men do not know Harley Earl or E.L Cord the Y Job or Twenty Grand are not worth it either.

It is exactly like buying artwork. Is an old painting really worth $40 million either? Of course not--unless the buyer(s) think it is and want it. It may be worth that much for his love of art, or his ego in having the only one. But THAT is not usually enough. The ego is usually interested in other people fawning over the painting and envying him--and as such maybe later a FIFTY million dollar guy will be interested in buying it. It is all mental. In my world of 1957 Pontiacs well heeled collectors are paying over $200,000 for Bonnevilles and $100,000 for Safaris that they never drive, and why? Because they love 1957 Bonnevilles or have nostalgia for them? In some cases, but most of the time it is because they think someone will pay them a profit in the future, IMO.

So I guess the answer to the question is find out what buyer has over $40 million to spend and what is he interested in. So does Bill Gates crave a Futurliner? A Ferrari GTO? The JFK Ambulance? Or could I interest him in a 1957 Pontiac two door hardtop? I guess we will see....Todd C

Edited by poci1957 (see edit history)

The most valuable to ME? or someone with more money than brains or enthusiasm?

Anyway, for me it would be the Mercedes #722 that Moss and Jenks won the 1955 Mille Miglia with. Read Jenks account , it is riveting and may convince you this car has more value than just dollars.( which would be astronomical if Mercedes ever sold it) . Mercedes bring this car out for demos every now and then.

It's all based on knock out good looks IMO, maybe a racing record, but any car having someone die in it doesn't make it worth one nickle more to me.

Knock out good looks??? If I could only bring back Marilyn Monroe. :D Dandy Dave!

Guest Jim_Edwards

The most valuable car in the world is the one you have spent years and a bundle of money on to restore or preserve and would probably be inclined to kill the first S.O.B that attempted to steal it from your garage!

The most valuable car in the world is the one you have spent years and a bundle of money on to restore or preserve and would probably be inclined to kill the first S.O.B that attempted to steal it from your garage!

Like I said....the one in my garage.

Guest my3buicks
The 34 Peugeot is usually credited as having the first retractable roof.

I looked at a picture of that, and without doubt it was a retractable hardtop, not even a retractable convertible top.

Most valuable? That depends on is it's "value" historical? personal? monatary? sentimental? If you are looking for the most "expensive" car, that would be easy. Whoever paid the most for any car, wins. It value may not be in the dollar figure.

I spent 10+ years enticing the guy to finally sell his 59 Skyliner to me instead of all the others who tried being nice to being intimidating. I've dreamed of a Skyliner since I was 14. When I get get offers to sell it I always reply "You can buy a better one, cheaper" This car is invaluable TO ME.

I have an Amphicar that the Beatles rode in while in Cleveland in 1966. What's it's value above the Amphicar part? That would depend on the person. A successful hardcore Beatles fan who remembers seeing them in this car or were at that concert may pay a HUGE premium for the only Amphicar they ever rode in as "The Beatles." It's value to that person may be beyond reasonable money. (I am open to offers!)

There are many cars who's monetary value may not be multi-millions but the historical value is immeasurable.

Guest Bill Miller

My view is that the first Ferrari would bring the highest price, just because Ferrari guys are so seemingly free-spending at auctions. The first one imported into the US is in the private collection of Bob Lee in Nevada and that's right up there in value. One of the several Bugatti Royales might be close. Possibly the Lincoln in which JFK was riding in Dallas would be up there as well but that car has been modified so much subsequently to the extent that it is really not recognizable as the Dallas assassination car at all so its value has likely been lessened. How about the 1914 Graf & Stift open tourer in which Austrian Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife were shot which started the Great War? It's located in the war museum in Vienna. I hate to be morbid with assassinations but aside from the Ferraris the most expensive car would have to have some historical significance beyond something of time-limited currency like an Elvis car or similar. I remember seeing the Horch given to Eva Braun by Adolf Hitler located at a museum in Marietta, GA when I was a child and that car too would likely command an extremely high price. I'm sure there are others I haven't thought of.

Many of you seem to put a lot of stock into a celebrity connection or being the first or last of something. I doubt that Hitler's limo or the Kennedy assassination car would bring as much money as you think. The highest prices paid are for the art form of the vehicle. If it's a race car, then it's a combination of the art (how beautiful it is) with some very significant race history (i.e. LeMans winner). A Type D Auto Union brings 10 million dollars because of it's beauty and the car's racing significance.

I think the OP is referring to cash value. I have not seen a current Guinness Book of records in ages, but for many years they listed the Bugatti Royal as most valuable. I remember reading some auto journalist who encountered one for the first time, in a warehouse with some other collector cars, out of long storage with so-so paint and egads, it was leaking oil like some sort of mortal car! I think, due to it's reputation, he was expecting it to be absolutely perfect. Not sure what car takes the value title today but I did enjoy that story....

Padgett, your post on dogs and cars reminded me that there are extremes in everything. A highly trained, certified German Shepherd sold by a boutique home security firm can easily command $30K. There are days, however, when I would pay someone to take the two clowns I have off my hands... :D

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

I think celeb cars and these "death cars" appeal to a different type of collector. Someone with the means and knowledge to be in the highest tier of the market really does not care about a car for those reasons; yes, some have historical value but I doubt any of them would be at the very top tier of collecting. Engineering greats, exclusivity when new, designer/coachbuilder/overall beauty and of course, speed are the factors I would think would drive this.

To put it more bluntly, celeb & "death cars" which would be junk other than happenstance have little or no value to a premium collector.

I think celeb cars and these "death cars" appeal to a different type of collector. Someone with the means and knowledge to be in the highest tier of the market really does not care about a car for those reasons; yes, some have historical value but I doubt any of them would be at the very top tier of collecting. Engineering greats, exclusivity when new, designer/coachbuilder/overall beauty and of course, speed are the factors I would think would drive this.

How many "Bonnie and Clyde" Fords do you suppose there are ? Know "movie cars" are sometimes in the dozens. The 55 Chev in American Graffitti and Two Lane Blacktop was not one, but several including a cutaway. AFAIR there was even a "special" dune buggy based "General Lee" used for jump shots.

OTOH, show cars are sometimes re-incarnated as another show car, Pontiac did that & makes "whatever happened to..." difficult.

And on the gripping hand, insiders keep some special elements close to make it possible to identify wanna-bes. I used to be able to just grab the rear suspension of a late GTO and tell if real.

Key is "providence" and why one of those type "D"s was pulled from auction.

I have been pondering this and was thinking that Old 16, the Locomobile owned by the Henry Ford would have to be up there as would the 999 and the Quadracycle. One thing is clear, the Henry Ford may have the single most valuable collection of cars under one roof. I concur about Bugatti Royales and the #772 Mercedes. One car that has not been mentioned would be the Model SJ Duesenberg Weyman Speedster that was once owned by Capt. George Whittell and later Harrahs (I wonder who has it now). It is a spectacular one-off car with very low mileage to boot. That's my 2 cents worth!

Guest South_paw

Here's one to ponder... a 1956 Eldorado Biarritz special ordered by the owner with full white leather interior and factory air conditioning. We're talking maybe 5 cars left the factory like this one. The original owner changed the color and rug to suit his taste a year after he bought it. The car still exist today and is now fully documented and on display.

Here's a picture of the car and original owner,

5393876912_fc57f62d7d_b.jpg

Here it is on display in Graceland in it's customized state. In this Resto-Mod friendly, Barrett Jackson crazy world. I believe this car would break a few auction records if it ever crossed the auction block.

6296688599_1c2f7f01f5_b.jpg

Edited by South_paw (see edit history)