Auction? Much more than that!!!!

Steve Moskowitz

Just go to www.rmauctions.com I am not sure what they have up yet as this is a recent announcement. I know RM is working on their "catalog" which they will hand out during the fall meet. It will be newspaper style. This is a collection many of us saw 40 years ago and with the passing of the owner it is now available. No one really knows the entire contents of the auction as it is so huge. Can't wait!

I knew Lee for 30+ years. He was the guy you called to empty you barn or garage of stuff. As a ''junkman'' he was pretty smart and took a lot of home to store. His history was a little off some times but he was a great guy to just sit and talk with (most I tried to listen)

Don't look for any deals. Lots of heavy hitters knew the stuff. Like some auctions it is more about the chance to own something unique than ''get a deal''

I've not see him in years. Even so it is sad he is gone. One less ''Junkman'' in our hobby ....... I will miss his stories and yes even his BS too.

I am sure he'll be laughing at the prices this stuff brings.

Lee from now on they will always start on the first kick Old Friend.......

Guys, you are only seeing a SMALL slice of what will be at this auction. Make sure you stop by RM's booth in front of the Giant Center and get a copy of their newspaper which will detail some of what is being sold. This type of auction does not happen very often anymore so it should be a real treat. To those that have been there before: I doubt the coffin and contents will be sold!

Guest Xprefix28truck
Yup, I love to know more about this car. The motorcycles there made me swamp my keyboard in drooooool! WOW!!

009Lincoln2nose.jpg

I guess I see now what the "siamese" is....Very interesting....

Lee Hartungs collection is legendary. I've been in there many times and always saw something new (old). Lee was absolutely king of Model A Fords - he had one of every type built, all of them unrestored originals, some with very low mileage. I also believe he had one of the earliest Model T Fords around, and of course automobilia stacked on top of automobilia. One of the last times I was there we got a full look into some of the trailers parked around there. He had recently acquired an entire Model T Ford garage. He told the story about someone in Chicago who had worked at a Ford garage who had taken all the model T stuff home so he could continue working on the cars long after then went out of production. Lee cleared out the house, garage, barn and even under the front porch hauling in NOS Model T parts galore in the original boxes. It's probably still packed in there. For years I drooled over his spark plug collection, and although I've probably now got most of what's in there I've never seen the bottom of the pile in one of his show cases. One visit I did help him go through some five gallon buckets of plugs and added a lot of nice ones to his top-shelf display. As far as I know, Lee had the most complete license plate collection existing. I'm sure the plate collectors will be out in force for this one as there are some absolutely rare ones in there.

As the saying goes - he who dies with the most wins and Lee is the hands-down winner. Rest in peace Lee, and thanks for inspiring a lot of other collectors.

Terry

Goes to show you can't take it with you. Hopefully he had fun with it while he was alive. It would be nice to see the cars and motorcycles out on the road where they belong. Not burried and rusting away. Same goes for parts. Hopefully everyone who needs a correct part can get one out of this sale. Just my opinion.

Goes to show you can't take it with you. Hopefully he had fun with it while he was alive. It would be nice to see the cars and motorcycles out on the road where they belong. Not burried and rusting away. Same goes for parts. Hopefully everyone who needs a correct part can get one out of this sale. Just my opinion.

I apologize in advance if I'm miss-reading you but your post seems a bit judgmental. You realize that without guys like this, A.K. Miller, etc, most of this cool stuff would be lost forever. Each of us has our stuff for our own enjoyment only and if that means we want to "hide it away" than that's our prerogative. Again, I apologize if I'm misinterpreting.

What a great collection, and even greater collector, wish I'd met him and had the chance to take a tour. So glad that he was someone to just save stuff and not try to "restore" it. How a company can catalog that much stuff will be fun to watch. Thank you for saving all that stuff Lee!

Guest Bluesmobile
This is going to be much more than an auction! This estate is amazing! Few people have ever seen this collection and it is extensive and contains TONS of items. Should be lots of fun and pretty wild. Can't wait to see what is unearthed and it is a "pickers" heaven!

Wow Steve, thanks for posting that. I won't have time to attend Hershey, but this gives me something to look forward to. Just an unbelieveable collection.

I posted a link to the auction on the Ford Barn website, and others have posted YouTube tours of the collection, it is truely amazing. From the sound of things the walkway is gravel, is there a concrete slab that everything is sitting on? I'd really like to know how the auction will be run, on site or in an even larger warehouse were items could be viewed?

The auction will be on-site. There are things on the lot in grass plus indoors. They have to cut down trees, etc. in order to hold the auction. Make sure you grab a paper at the fall meet as it will list a lot but probably not all that will be sold. Just too much to list. I will post more when I know it and have a much better idea after this weekend's trip.

Edited by Steve Moskowitz (see edit history)

This looks like it will make the A.K.Miller auction look like a drive by yard sale. Sure, the good stuff will go to some high bidders but there has to be something for everyone, even if they have huge box lot deals. How they can allow pre bidding inspections is going to be a tough job. This is the best thread on the Froun this year!

Bob, I am not sure that there will be much in the way of pre-inspection. I do not want to create a false impression here. I am only getting to get to see the collection as a favor to me from RM. I will be in the area and so will they this weekend so it all worked out. I have even offered to take vacation days and work for them as I am really, really intrigued about what will be unearthed from this sale. Yep, I will bet some items will bring big prices but I also bet that a lot of guys will come home with treasures at a fair price. There is just too much to buy! One estimation was that it would take 50 + semi loads to romove everything from the property!

Thanks Steve! You are one lucky guy to get to see all this stuff before it is picked over. How large is the building that all this stuff is in? Looks fairly new 40 years old or so. Sure hope someone takes lots of photos. It will take days to run this auction if they start at the door and work their way to the back of the building.

I used to work not far from Mr. Hartung's museum, and one day a co-worker took me there when he found out I had an eye for old things. It was stunning; I've never seen anything like it, before or since.

If you get a chance to go, don't pass it up - you've just gotta see this place before it gets turned into a subdivision or strip mall. It's definitely a piece of old Glenview lore that will be gone forever. If you do a Google search of the address, you can see how the area developed around him, from rural to suburban. And you can't see it from the road; I'd bet a lot of residents from around the area don't even know it's tucked away back there.

Edited by Malo48 (see edit history)

what could be interesting while we wait for the listing is to see how many years, makes, models, and colors our experts can identify from the tapes and pictures that are available. I am a "one make" person so all I can definatively identify is a 47/48 Crosley CC Wagon in green.

There will be a couple of days for inspection prior to the sale. I have two people who have already seen a rare and needed item for one of their cars! While in some ways it seems sad that something like this is dispersed, it is bound to help other people in restorations. Plus, some cool new cars may be restored. This should be a real "happening" in the hobby and a pretty exciting sale for many.

My reference to the skeleton may seen strange but my staff thankfully deleted the photo as it was a little macabre. Yes, there was a real one in the casket!

Guest Dave Boyer

Wow......that place would give the little guy from American Pickers a stroke!

Amazing, there can't be many places like that in existence anymore, I know the one we had around here was sold off a few years ago now.

With every new photo collection or YouTube viewing I see something new that I'd love to have. With everything so tightly packed inspections are going to be hard and risky to do. Have bidders ever run out of money before the end of an auction, causing the last items tro go real cheap?

There are more collections like this but fewer each year.

Many years ago I figured out I could sell most of my stuff and never see the floor. But like a lot of guys I've never really tested that realization.

I think it was the same case for Lee. We talked about people asking to buy stuff. Shared many stories back and forth. Lee sold a few things over the years. But not much over the last years of his life.

It's interesting to read the comments here. Things should be remembered.

There is always someone with more stuff than you have.

Stuff is just stuff.

It's not about dieing with the most toys. It about living with history.

Edited by RU22 (see edit history)