What did you do to your classic today?

Guest Guest

Took the '39 Buick to Waxahachie for the Texas Region AACA meeting yesterday afternoon (about 50 miles one way). We went early so we could drive around and look at some of the Victorian homes there and stopped for a photo in front of the court house. After the meeting there was a taco dinner and lots of good desserts.

Finally ponied up and bought the new tires the Cadillac has sorely needed since I purchased it last year. Six new Firestone wide whites, six new flaps, six new tubes, plus mounting and balancing. Total bill was more than 10% of the total purchase price of the car, and even more expensive than the overdrive installation! :eek:

But for safety's sake, I suppose it's worth every penny. I hear about accidents and am terrified if something were to go wrong on the road at speed, so there's just no excuse for skimping in the tire department. I'll take photos with the new shoes on it as soon as they're mounted within the next week or two. I'm heading to Columbus (about 130 miles away) for the Arthritis Foundation show after the 4th of July, and don't want to take any chances...

Sorry West, I did go with the whitewalls. I just love the way they look on this particular car.

pi_25413.jpeg

Drove our AACA HPOF '73 Pinto over to the Branford Festival Classic Car Cruise this past Sunday morning (6/17/2012), in Branford, CT.

Had a old dealer plate from "Wilson Ford" in Branford (now known as "Ford of Branford") that I decided to bolt onto the front for the occasion. Funny how I ended up parking about 100 feet away from "The Academy On The Green," which is the historical building featured on the old Wilson Ford plate.

post-34222-143139067799_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143139067812_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143139067816_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well after many fits and delays, I finally have my '41 Buick Roadmaster fully licensed, on the road, and took it for a 20 mile drive after supper. It wasn't all as easy as that, though. Earlier, on the way home from the shop that safetied it, the car broke down! I called a friend who brought some gas, and we put that in used starting fluid (quick start) and it fired right away with squirts from the can, but wouldn't keep running. The likely culprit being the fuel pump. It had stalled on a main road but we were able to push onto a quite side street and into a legal parking area. So I went home, got another fuel pump, installed it, and it fired right up!

The cool thing was, when I started working on it, a woman came out of the house in front of where I was parked, and said how beautiful my car was and all of the attention that had garnered in the meantime. A gentleman apparently even stood in front of it, and gave the car a salute! Too bad I missed it.

He's the kicker, the pump that failed is the rebuilt one, and the one that is back on is the one I took off when I rebuilt the engine, and must be 40 years old, or more.

Anyway, me and 12 yr old son had a nice drive in the old girl.

Keith

Guest bofusmosby

Glad you finally got your car home. Did you rebuild the pump, or was it done by a rebuilder? Is it still in warranty? Hopefully it is. I agree, that would have been nice to see (the salute).

Hey, bofusmosby, unfortunately the pump isn't under warranty, but it was a professionally rebuilt unit. I got it a couple of years ago when I started the rebuild of my engine. I don't know there was an old style diaphram used in it, that is unsuitable for today's fuels or what.

The crazy thing is that's the third "new" part to fail on the '41. The other two were an emergency brake cable, a new repro one from a noted supplier, and a repro horn relay from the same guys.

Anyway, todays big event is that I'm bringing my '56 Roadmaster home from storage about an hour's drive out of the city. It has a leaky Dynaflow, and I needed the garage that the '41 was in to do the repairs. The '56 has been my "Old Faithful" for over 30 years, and has only been sitting since last fall.

I'll try to post when I get her home, hopefully it won't leak so bad that I can't get it back home!

Keith

I spent some "quality time" underneath the ("inner beauty") '69 Bug Convertible yesterday (this is the one shown up on the rack getting front end aligned, toward the bottom of the previous page), eventually finishing up changing over an unsightly "hot rodder" exhaust system that hung low at the rear of the car, back to a proper stock-type exhaust (heater boxes rather than "j-tubes" and also a stock type muffler), that tucks up nicely under the rear apron, like it should, and so all you see is the two "pea shooter" exhaust tips exiting at their proper cut-outs, below the rear bumper. I didn't try starting it yet, as it's fairly buried in the garage, but looking forward to doing so.

I also re-did the rear breastplate in the engine compartment to go along with a proper oil-bath air cleaner (which uses a large diameter pre-heater hose that connects down thru the breast plate to a pipe that scavenges some engine heat from the right side cylinders), and also fresh air heating hoses that go from the outlets on the shroud down to the inlets on the heater boxes, again thru proper holes in the breast plate. It sure looks a lot better.

I'd like to present a couple of "before and after" pictures, next chance I get. I know I took a couple of "afters"--just need to see if I have any decent "befores"...

Edited by stock_steve
added reference to a couple of photos on a prevoius page (see edit history)

Finally got around to some pictures...will go in chronological order...

First, an engine-running photo by the previous owner, from 2004:

post-34222-143139080259_thumb.jpg

Next, an April 5, 2010 photo, from not long after we purchased the car (in March of 2010). I chose this photo, as it illustrates the "hot rodder" exhaust system that was on the car, as purcahsed:

post-34222-143139080264_thumb.jpg

Next a picture of some scruffy hillbilly standing next to the car, while I was doing some initial clean-up and detail inspection (had already removed the "Marathon" factory styled wheels for refinishing, and installed some replacement "rollers"), April 18, 2010:

post-34222-143139080274_thumb.jpg

Oops, here's one of my own engine photos, from a day when we went to look at the car, in March of 2010:

post-34222-143139080296_thumb.jpg

And for some hopefully decent contrast, a photo I took yesterday, following completion of the stock style exhaust and air cleaner w/associated hoses & fittings (and I'm probably going to eventually black-paint-detail that degreed crank pulley a bit, to make it stand out a bit less):

post-34222-143139080312_thumb.jpg

Edited by stock_steve (see edit history)

Well, now that some garage space got freed up, on Sunday, I brought the '56 Roadmaster home from a rather long winter's nap. Ran beautiful, as usual. Nice warm day here in Toronto.

On our Holiday Monday, I went for a about an hour and half's drive through the countryside in the '41 Roadmaster, the longest so far since it hit the road on last Thursday. Did well, though the idle was terrible, so I have to look into that. About 90 F, and it ran about 175 or so all the time.

Keith

Guest Old48Truck

I discovered a bolt missing from the tailpipe hanger and plan to tackle this giant job tomorrow morning. ;)

Last time I had my LTD out, I noticed that I really needed to tend to the bottom of the front bumper, so after lunch, I cleaned it up with SOS, wiped it down with Finesse and waxed it. I haven't driven it much so far but I've noticed a gasoline/exhaust smell on the right side of the engine. It's not nearly as noticeable on the left. Got to investigate that. By the way, I've found a local Marina that sells non-ethanol premium and their pump is accessible to cars. Can't wait until I need gas to fill up with it.

Washed some old cars this morning before it got too hot, so we could go out and drive them this afternoon, waving "OLD GLORY" in honor of Independence Day.

Rebuilding the carburetor on the 1941 Cadillac.

Snugged up the side cover plate over the valve adjusters on the Packard, and then ran her around the neighborhood waving the flag.

Drove Fiorello, the 1937 Roadmaster - a veteran of a great many New York City parades - especially Independence Days (also V-E Day and V-J Day).

Our local AACA St. Bernard Chapter of Louisiana Region will support a show at the O'Reilly Auto Parts on Paris Road, Chalmette, LA -- if y'all happen to be in the area, please join us for FREE ENTRY, FREE ADMISSION, FREE FOOD, FREE FOOD (we like food!).

post-54863-143139085687_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143139085689_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143139085692_thumb.jpg

I got the fuel leak fixed on my '56 Roadmaster, though the tranny is leaking at the front somewhat, and I'll have to take it out to fix it, hopefully in a week or two. My son and took the '41 Roadmaster coupe through the countryside yesterday for the longest drive yet, about 85 miles round trip. Ran fairly well, but it's still "bogging" on hard acceleration. Going to try another carb on it.

Keith

Guest Lyndell54

fixed the fuel gauge on my 28' model 52 chrysler.Locked up tight, probably hadnt been out of the tank since new. Be firing it up real soon

I had the LTD at the Ford dealer today (they have a mechanic that was there in the 70's). I've only put on 30 miles since April, but the last two times I had it out, I noticed a fairly strong gasoline smell when I got home that I hadn't noticed before so I wanted it checked out. Checked it over from the tank to the carb and didn't find anything out of the ordinary. In fact, he said everything looked really great. It's not a closed system, so we're thinking it "smelled" more because was pretty hot out when I used it. I drove it to Hershey last fall - 1250 miles round trip - and had no issues, so guess it's good to go. I found a local Marina that sells 91 non-ethanol gas; the pump is accessible to vehicles, so I'm hoping I can fill up with some good stuff.

...I found a local Marina that sells 91 non-ethanol gas; the pump is accessible to vehicles, so I'm hoping I can fill up with some good stuff...

That reminds me that I need to nose around some in my neck of the woods to see if there may possibly be any similar resources. My unmodified '70 Bug burned a piston lately and I am sure the ethanol-laced gas didn't help.

I also made some more progress on the '69 project Bug, eventually getting some ignition problems solved (but not totally--more tweaking is needed since it still wants to stall upon slowing down and taking it out of gear). Sure is a kick to drive, though! Talk about visceral!

Took the "knobbies" off and installed some summer tires on refinished wheels--I'll follow up with a picture next chance I get...

My '41 Roadmaster is still not running quite right, so I plan to change the carb after supper tonight in the hopes that it will help.

Keith

As long as we are opening this thread up to things we are going to do today in addition to things we've done. :)

I will be checking the fluids, tire pressure, etc. in preparation to using the '33 DeLuxe Six tomorrow for a three day out of town mini-vacation trip.

I purchased my Limited in 1974, and the rear bumper gravel shield was HISTORY. Today I made a template of it out of poster board, then transferred it to 1/8" hardboard. I will make one out of aluminum and with my power bead roller, roll approx. 3 beads in such to give it some strength. Don't want it to OIL CAN.

I will need to purchase a rubber seal for the front of it where it touches the body. I might make one out of a piece of SPLIT RUBBER SOFT TUBE.

Dale in Indy

Made our 3rd visit to the restoration shop working on my 1937 Buick to check on progress. (Biggest bill yet)! They had a problem getting the gas tank back on but now done.(I was in the hospital going through Chemotherapy 6 years ago when my son thought that he would "help me out" by removing the gas tank. Said he had to really fight and ended up ripping off the filler pipe)! The local radiator shop reattached and I had hoped that it was correctly placed. The new wiring harness instalation is just about done. They hoped to get it running next week. I pray for no further problems. Speaking of the radiator shop, picked up the recored radiator for my 1925 Buick standard. Done with a modern style core

price $964!! Beats the price quoted for a honeycomb. $1700. Now if it solves my overheating problems?

post-79073-143139094804_thumb.jpg

post-79073-143139094815_thumb.jpg Larry

Not today, but just the other day.

Got it wet

11:40PM - Got lost on the lake (McConaughy, NE)

12:10AM - Got it stuck on a random beach

12:15AM - Had a beer with some new friends

12:35AM - 14 new friends from Mexico and a pickup got us back into the lake

Got ot wet

Got it sandy

Got it stuck sitting on a sandbar for 2 minutes too long

Got it wet again...

post-31565-143139099257_thumb.jpg

Tomorrow I have to remove enough sand that I can make a new beach here!

Finally had a good, cool day to work outside on the fuel line of my 1931 Dodge coupe (you don't wanna do this in a garage). Removed the two nasty fuel filters and the hoses near the fuel tank and tossed 'em. Took out the old air hose and ramped up the compressor. After a couple of minutes, there was enough pressure to blow through the fuel line backwards and blow out a bunch of gook....mostly fuel, but some big pieces. Put the new lines and filters on and zoom, zoom, zoom!!! On the road again. I really should not speak too soon as I am still going to take a test run with my wife following to see if it is indeed fixed. As you can see the mechanical fuel pump has been bypassed. That was like that when I got the car and I will eventually get it back to original.

post-37352-143139099867_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

I drove my wife's '63 VW Karmann Ghia to the "Time Machines 2012" antique auto show & flea market, on Sunday, July 22nd, 2012, held at the Guilford Fairgrounds in Guilford, CT. Another tremendous job by the CT Area Classic T-Bird Club running this event (ref. TimeMach).

The feature this year was "Commercial Vehicles," and I don't think I've ever seen so many beautiful trucks in one place before!

Another real highlight, though, was running into AACA Forum Regular (and Central CT Region AACA mainstay - ref. Antique Automobile Club of America - Central Connecticut Region) Steve Mackinnon (a.k.a. "Steve_Mack_CT"), who was there with his lovely wife Mary. They were gracious to pose by the Karmann Ghia! Great seeing you, Steve & Mary!

post-34222-143139107029_thumb.jpg

Edited by stock_steve (see edit history)

Thanks for the shout out Steve!! We had a blast - you never know what you are going to find at these things and we should have snapped a picture of the very large framed map of Martha's Vineyard we picked up at the swap after our visit. Too big to go in the trunk of the SL, so we put it behind us and took back roads all the way home... :D

The Ghia, BTW is a very cool ride. We learned Mrs. Stock Steve actually removed a layer of paint to get to the original powder blue paint on this car. It was drawing a lot of looks including one young guy who wanted to know what make it was! :D

Other interesting cars included a gorgeus '34 Packard super 8 coupe roadster, a late 50s VW bug with period supercharger, some nice pick ups and a nea perfect MG TD. One of CT's best shows if you can get there.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the shout out Steve!! We had a blast - you never know what you are going to find at these things and we should have snapped a picture of the very large framed map of Martha's Vineyard we picked up at the swap after our visit. Too big to go in the trunk of the SL, so we put it behind us and took back roads all the way home... :D

The Ghia, BTW is a very cool ride. We learned Mrs. Stock Steve actually removed a layer of paint to get to the original powder blue paint on this car. It was drawing a lot of looks including one young guy who wanted to know what make it was! :D

Other interesting cars included a gorgeus '34 Packard super 8 coupe roadster, a late 50s VW bug with period supercharger, some nice pick ups and a nea perfect MG TD. One of CT's best shows if you can get there.

Glad to hear of your swap meet find, Steve! Again, it was fun seeing you and The Mrs. at the show! I will track down an "as-received" photo of the Ghia next chance I get and post it--it was quite a visual transformation. Luckily the car spent all its previous life in California, though, so we did not have *rust* to deal with--which is never a good situation when it comes to early Ghias.

As for my own updates, I sweated in the garage yesterday afternoon and got a new replacement carburetor, distributor, and wires installed on the project '69 Bug Convertible, toward hopefully solving its latest running problems. Didn't have time for plugs--probably do those this afternoon....

Hey Steve, while no where near as ambitious as Mrs. Stock Steve's work on the Ghia, last night I went out to the garage "for maybe ten minutes" to pull together some aging brake fluid, etc. for our annual "Hazardous Waste" collection - well, somehow I got to thinking, wouldn't it be a good time to put a second coat of wax on the SL... :D